Captain's club elite

WALKER1313

I know that something probably has to be done but it would still kinda suck for us. We're looking forward to being elite after our 2013 Hawaii cruise even though the perks aren't all that meaningful it would still be nice.

We've always caught the "short end" of the cruise credit booking stick. Our shortest cruise is ten days but we've never been on one 12 nights or longer or taken a suite, so we always only get one credit per cruise (2 for our most recent in CC). It kind of sucks to get the same credit for 11 nights that someone else gets for 3.

I feel your pain, we've got a total of 34 nights, all in concierge class but only credits, as celebrity did not give double credit for concierge class when it first was implemented, I think I had to pay $20 or $25 bucks to join, I have a little plastic membership card too.

If they're going to revamp they system, & not grandfather people in, then I hope they'll count all my nights, & give me the double credits, I'd love to have 64 nights credit:)

Londeners -- keep in mind this is just a rumor so far. I wouldn't change my plans until something official comes out.

Hi, you're right and for the moment we will sit tight: it would just be very disappointing if, after having the 3

Elite benefits this year, we didn't have same for the 'special occasion' cruise next year!

We have already booked for next year to celebrate a big birthday. We have booked S2 for a 14 night cruise and are this year, as last on a 16 nighter. However X really haven't looked after their UK early booking guests this year, and the loss of the extra Elite perks may well lead us into the temptation of increasingly well priced Cunard for that big birthday!

Please explain the statement "...X really haven't looked after their UK early booking guests this year,..."

In addition, would like to know if we are missing something since we usually book early.:) Thank You!

That's funny....by Jan 2013, I'll have at leaset 25 credits! Hilarious. My guess, wild and not based on Anything including my crazy cousin, is they would grandfather (and grandmother?) all of us Elites in. I mean, once you are Elite, you just cant go back to being a Plebian.....Henrietta, pass me the Grand Poupon....

Heck, by Jan 2014, I'd love to have 30 credits or more!!

Den

Funny we are in the same boat. with three 15 day cruises before 2013 we'll be right there.

Gotta stay ahead of the crowds.

Now if I could just do 20 weeks a year like some of those top cruisers

Funny we are in the same boat. with three 15 day cruises before 2013 we'll be right there.

Gotta stay ahead of the crowds.

Now if I could just do 20 weeks a year like some of those top cruisers

20 weeks a year? You are preaching to the Choir:D......that would be

5 months out of the year........in my dreams!

Celebrity may have an interesting strategy here. If they do offer grandfathering, can you imagine how many with less than 10 credits now would be frantically booking as many days/cruises, concierge class, etc as possible to be grandfathered in before the change.

Don't think you get a point unless the cruise is at least 4 days. However,you give a good reason for going to "days" rather than "points".

A check of the FAQ and Captain's Club terms and conditions does not give a minimum number of nights--

Earn one credit by sailing with Celebrity Cruises or Azamara Cruises (effective January 1, 2011, Captain's Club tier credits can only be earned by sailing with Celebrity Cruises); earn one credit by sailing on an itinerary of 12-nights or longer, including Cruisetours (effective January 1, 2003); and earn one credit by sailing in a Concierge Class stateroom, AquaClass® stateroom, or Suite (effective January 1, 2004).

I agree it would be better to base it on nights, not cruise credits. A while ago, I had noted that if someone needed a fast couple of cruise credits, they could book concierge on Solstice for a 1-night cruise on December 9, 2012. The only minor drawback is it's Sydney to Sydney. It would make a nice B2B, though.

Just to start a rumor... My cousin's friend works for Celebrity at the corp headquarters and says 25 cruises will be required for Elite starting 1/1/13 or 1/1/14. Figure it's true as this friend told me about Elite upgrades about six months before it was out. You never know for sure.

Hmm, Jan '13 you say. I'm currently at 6 Cruise Credits with 3 coming from my July Med cruise, 2 from a January cruise, and another 2 from the Reflection T/A in Nov '12. Looks like I'll make it with a bit of room to spare if they grandfather in those who qualify before 1/1/13. Perfect! :D

A couple of years ago American express spent easily 100 million dollars on a media blitz selling you on how fabulous the "new" membership rewards program was? What they did was offer a few new inexpensive perks and then raise rates for most of the properties very quietly. They were smart and they sold these changes as positive, which most of the public believed, yet they had been duped. Any frequent flyer guru will tell you that membership rewards is one of the poorest programs as far as cashing in miles for airline tickets goes. It is one of the most subscribed.

NOW, translate this to the cruise industry..... Celebrity would never take away something they had given, that's a big no no in marketing. However for all those newbies cruising...they would have a tougher flight. Also they might add two levels above with varying perks...and move the carrot out farther?

What celebrity may do is offer a new level for 25 or 30+.....or even a free 7 day Caribbean once you cross 100+ points...Like Seabourn, Silversea do at varying thresholds. They will give you a few new perks like more internet minutes (never free $$) and an extra bag of laundry or a free specialty meal. The options are endless. Remember, the goal is to reward the frequent cruisers for their loyalty....not punish for lack thereof.

Lastly, Just like airline programs award elite status faster if you fly business or first class. Celebrity cruises does the same and I think this is smart. If someone is paying 4 times what I am for an inside cabin to sail in a Royal suite...they should get double points, it is a good business decision. And as much as we all enjoy cruising, this is indeed a business!

Happy sails to all.

To be honest, my kids just got off Enchantment of the Seas and have onlyl sailed on Celebrity. They were very disappointed at being Elite and not having access to the Diamond Club and having to pay for those drinks. They felt it was not really "reciprocal" going both ways. On Celebrity Diamond can utilize the Elite Lounge but on RCI it's pay for the drinks. They also felt the "perks" were sorely missing for them on RCI. They felt that it's made the Elite Lounge a no brainer for those from RCI switching to Celebrity. They would be Diamond + if they could go a tier higher on that line.

Not, it's only their opinion. They also thought the Elite perks were nicer.

We're up in the category range if Celeb changes the Elite status and creates a higher tier. It might be time. On our last Constellation 14 day cruise we never went near the lounge because we had so many on Elites and Diamonds on this trip .

Rumors are rumors but I truly think it's time to re-think creating that next tier.

We'll see.

I agree with the days cruised system as on RCL. Also the 25 cruises for Elite + (with grand-fathering the now Elite members). Just to many people now in the Captain's Club lounge especially the Diamond members from RCL who have switched over for the free drinks. It is just not the same atmosphere that it used to be when the events were held in Michael's Club. I also think that RCL and Celebrity should get together to equalize their benefits and qualifying factors. They are owned by the same company so what's the problem.

I just reviewed my sailing history on My Celebrity. We are Elite, and have been for quite a while, however, if the new program goes to cruises sailed for Elite+...well we may be out of luck. Even though our history shows 19 sailings (we will have 20 after upcoming voyage), we have a total of 29 credits and a total of 228 days of sailing on Celebrity.

I hope the days of sailing prevails! We have only taken two 7 day cruises, the rest are all longer.

I agree that something must be done re the amount of Elites on some sailings. Our last sailing on the Summit the Elite lounge was up in the deck 11 lounge and crowded every evening, but I must admit the scenery was fantastic. (late sunsets). I like that venue better than Michael's.

It is what it is...and we appreciate all the perks that we receive as loyal cruisers.

I just made CC Select. I know they are going to change the formula somehow. I'm not the kind of person that cruises just for the elite status. The Captains Club benefits are ok, but Celebrity and their staff (most of them at least) have made me feel valued even on the first cruise when I had no status. I have to say though that the coupons are a waste of paper. None of them ever interest me.

At the end of the day the cruise lines are run by corporations and I think that any changes to the elite program will be done with the goal of raising revenues. That means possibly extra status points/incentives depending on how much you paid for your cruise. They also might give customers incentives to spend more on board similar to the way HAL awards you more extra cruise day credits the more you spend on board.

I have not doubt that eventually, the Elite program will change, but I find it hard to believe that they would go to "25 cruises". This would mean 2 1/2 times the amount needed now, and even more for people who had double credits on cruises. Many people looking for perks, would feel little or no hope of attaining this level. I think on RCCL it's a bit different, since the cruise prices seem lower. Also, although I have not sailed with them, looking at the Crown and Anchor, from what I can figure out, one needs only 80 nights to qualify as diamond??

I think the 24-25 cruise credits will be used in the conversion process to cruise points(days). (As RCL did with their conversion) And , yes I think this could be very beneficial to Celebrity as people race to get to 25 cruise credits. I know two couples who did the race with RCL; sure many more did it too.

As for eliminating benefits, all I can say they "adjusted"(eliminated) them on RCL. Maybe they "adjust" the Elite Lounge to a wine and beer party. And put the Elite+ back into Michael's Club with full bar service????

Totally free internet, can ever see this happening. It's a profit center for the corporation. Additional laundry, again I don't see it as 20-30 items times 2 cabin mates is pretty generous.

Hey, I'm only guessing. - don't know

I think the 24-25 cruise credits will be used in the conversion process to cruise points(days). (As RCL did with their conversion) And , yes I think this could be very beneficial to Celebrity as people race to get to 25 cruise credits. I know two couples who did the race with RCL; sure many more did it too.

As for eliminating benefits, all I can say they "adjusted"(eliminated) them on RCL. Maybe they "adjust" the Elite Lounge to a wine and beer party. And put the Elite+ back into Michael's Club with full bar service????

Totally free internet, can ever see this happening. It's a profit center for the corporation. Additional laundry, again I don't see it as 20-30 items times 2 cabin mates is pretty generous.

Hey, I'm only guessing. - don't know

We know that folks from Celebrity read these boards. I believe we should continue to make and respond to "wish lists" so that they may get some ideas from frequent cruisers on what enhancements they'd like to see. Some ideas might fly, some might not, that's a corporate decision, but our input may have some influence.

Don't think you get a point unless the cruise is at least 4 days. However,you give a good reason for going to "days" rather than "points".

You get one point for a cruise. I received 1 point for a two night Century cruise.

Last cruise, We cruised with an Elite couple with only 3 and 4 night cruises. They were trying a 14 night for the first time; They weren't liking it... I suggested maybe another line would be more appropriate for them.

You get one point for a cruise. I received 1 point for a two night Century cruise.

That means one could do five 2 night cruises in Concierge or Suite and qualify under current rules for Elite. Another good argument to go to days.

To be honest, my kids just got off Enchantment of the Seas and have onlyl sailed on Celebrity. They were very disappointed at being Elite and not having access to the Diamond Club and having to pay for those drinks. They felt it was not really "reciprocal" going both ways. On Celebrity Diamond can utilize the Elite Lounge but on RCI it's pay for the drinks. They also felt the "perks" were sorely missing for them on RCI. They felt that it's made the Elite Lounge a no brainer for those from RCI switching to Celebrity. They would be Diamond + if they could go a tier higher on that line.

Not, it's only their opinion. They also thought the Elite perks were nicer.

We're up in the category range if Celeb changes the Elite status and creates a higher tier. It might be time. On our last Constellation 14 day cruise we never went near the lounge because we had so many on Elites and Diamonds on this trip .

Rumors are rumors but I truly think it's time to re-think creating that next tier.

We'll see.

There is a lot of confusion (even among "Loyal Royals") about lounges on those ships. Diamond Plus (no Celebrity equivalent) have access to the Concierge Lounge on all ships that have them. Radiance Class and above all have them and a couple of the smaller ships also have one. There is a Diamond Lounge on only a few of the ships (I think it is Freedom Class and Oasis Class). The benefits in those lounges are similar to the Concierge Lounge and the Celebrity Elite happy hour (there is no Elite "lounge" per se and the happy hour is held in whatever venue is needed to take care of the crowd). For all ships that don't have the Diamond Lounge, there is a Diamond event which has beer and wine for free and a discount on mixed drinks. But Elites on Celebrity should have been allowed in the Diamond "Event" for free beer and wine on the Enchantment.

Another confusing point is the talk about "days", "points" and "credits".

RCL converted from "credits" to "points". Diamond (Equivalent to Elite) used to be 10 "credits" and is now 80 "days". Those 80 days can be earned by sailing on 12 seven-day cruises or 6 seven-day cruises in a suite. It takes a little longer to earn the status now and, in my opinion, was the major driving force in the new structure. People who had obtained a level in the old program were converted to enough "points" to meet the new table.

When Celebrity (and I think we all agree it has to happen sometime) makes a change, it will likely follow along the lines of RCL's. Someone who is Elite with 10 "credits" will be converted to enough "points" to maintain that status. If there is a new tier, the "credits" will convert in a schedule similar to RCL's and approximately 24-25 "credits" would convert to the points needed for Elite Plus (seems to be a commonly mentioned term). I doubt that the initial rumor really meant 25 "anything" for Elite and was probably intended to reflect that a new tier at approximately the same level of cruising as RCL's Diamond + would be created.

Speculation is fun. :D

On Celebrity I was credited 2 points for a 2-night cruise in Concierge class in January.

Well they certainly need to change something. In addition to the silly practice of counting a 2-night cruise the same as an 11-night cruise, a main cause of Elite overcrowding is the reciprocity with RCL.

Since RCL has many more ships and much larger ships than X, there are so many more Diamond and Diamond + members eligible for Elite status than the other way around.

X Elite passengers traveling on RCL don't cause nearly the same impact, not only because they are fewer in number but also because they are spread out across more ships.

Lately on X, more and more of the passengers we meet in the Elite lounge are only on their first or second X cruise.

On Celebrity I was credited 2 points for a 2-night cruise in Concierge class in January.

This is what's a bit odd about the system...we've got 34 nights but only 4 credits, it will be interesting to see if they make any changes.

Archived