pub lunch?

karen of PA

I am sailing on the CB in July and have been reading about how everyone seems to enjoy the pub lunch in the Crown Grill. Does the CB have a Crown Grill on the ship? What is a pub lunch? Is there an additional fee for the lunch? Is it offered on specific days?

Thanks,

Karen

It was held in the wheelhouse when we were there-held I believe 2/3 times during the cruise-its free.

bangars and mash with onion gravy

fish n chips[cod in batter, mushy peas]

ploughmans lunch-ham,english cheddar cheese,pate,pickle,bread

cottage pie-minced beef-carrots-peas-mashed potatoes

sometimes a second luch is offered

breaded prawns n chips

chicken curry

steak n kidney pie

scotch egg n salad

sherry truffle

I think it depends on the ship where it is held. Sea days. Been on 2 different ships to it. first time fish & chips-did not like it very little fish & really not cooked-never offered dessert the first time. 2nd time-wonderful plus they kept telling us bread pudding was baking so to wait for it--was absolutely fabulous!!!!! well worth the 20 minute wait!

I think it depends on the ship where it is held. Sea days. Been on 2 different ships to it. first time fish & chips-did not like it very little fish & really not cooked-never offered dessert the first time. 2nd time-wonderful plus they kept telling us bread pudding was baking so to wait for it--was absolutely fabulous!!!!! well worth the 20 minute wait!

You must have forgotten to put the vinegar on your fish:)

We tried the Pub lunch when we were on the Caribbean Princess and were disappointed. We had the fish. It could have been an off day or maybe we were just not in the mood for fish. I'm sure we'll try it again one day! We only had one sea day and that's when it was offered. The lunch was in the Wheelhouse.

I sure enjoyed it on a recent cruise. Had the Ploughman's Lunch one day & fish & chips the second day (sea days); though I didn't care for the mushy peas - don't know why as I do like peas.

On the Golden Princess the Pub Lunch was served in the Crown Grill. Here's the menu:

5470170214_2e5763736f_z.jpg

This is the Fish and Chips:

5469576875_212e425a83_z.jpg

And here is the Cottage Pie:

5469576773_b166c5c667_z.jpg

Let's not forget the dessert:

5469577267_6ea424d4d0_z.jpg

I sure enjoyed it on a recent cruise. Had the Ploughman's Lunch one day & fish & chips the second day (sea days); though I didn't care for the mushy peas - don't know why as I do like peas.

Traditional Mushy Peas as we understand it should be reconstituted dried peas. The recent sailings served regular frozen peas mushed up.

On the Golden Princess the Pub Lunch was served in the Crown Grill. Here's the menu:

5470170214_2e5763736f_z.jpg

This is the Fish and Chips:

5469576875_212e425a83_z.jpg

And here is the Cottage Pie:

5469576773_b166c5c667_z.jpg

Well, now I'm hungry!! :p

And what is that dessert, Jasperdo? Is it a sherry truffle (mentioned by mph045)? If not, what is a sherry truffle like, mph045?

I would very much like to try a Scotch egg. What kind of salad is served with it, mph045?

Thanks to both of you.

And what is that dessert, Jasperdo? Is it a sherry truffle (mentioned by mph045)? If not, what is a sherry truffle like, mph045?

I would very much like to try a Scotch egg. What kind of salad is served with it, mph045?

Thanks to both of you.

I don't remember what it was called, but it was layered with fresh fruit, cream and custard. Very tasty.

As a Brit living in Canada I know what a pub lunch should be. On the various cruises we have never had the second menu

breaded prawns n chips

chicken curry

steak n kidney pie

scotch egg n salad

sherry triffle

I let Princess know after the first sampling that the mushy peas are "real" mushy peas. To be honest mushy peas are a Northern tradition so down south they may be made with garden peas but not up north. They were better on the Star recently (not so obviously garden). The fish is frozen with usually soggy batter (if they fried it for longer it would be okay but as there is usually a line I'd guess that they are trying to get people in and out fast) so no comparision to real fish and chips.

The Ploughman's lunch was good.

I enjoyed the bangers and mash with onion gravy (much to my surprise as sausage offered in bangers and mash can be iffy but this wasn't).

Steak and Kidney I don't touch as I don't like kidney.

The Bread and Butter pudding was more like a custard than bread and butter pudding.

They serve Britsh beer and cider with it.

I'd like to try the trifle and see if it comes up to what we used to have.

I think it depends on the ship where it is held. Sea days. Been on 2 different ships to it. first time fish & chips-did not like it very little fish & really not cooked-never offered dessert the first time.

This was my experience, the one & only time I tried the Pub lunch. There was way too much batter stuff around the fish - I scraped it off and just ate the little bit of fish that was there. I like a good crispy batter coating, but the coating was too thick & doughy (even though it was crispy on the outside). Didn't even know there was a dessert available!

I'm originally from the UK, so I grew up with "good" fish and chips. We were really disappointed on our recent Crown T/A as I'd read on CC of everyone loving the fish and chips. We both found the fish was really greasy with hardly any fish inside the batter.

The second time I ordered the Scotch Egg which I love but I've not had in years. It too, was awful, a dark brown colour on the outside and the sausage meat inside was a dark spicy kind of ..... I don't know what meat! It certainly didn't look or taste like sausage meat. DH had the curry, and he wasn't too fond of that either.

We decided not to bother with the pub lunch after that.

I'm originally from the UK, so I grew up with "good" fish and chips. We were really disappointed on our recent Crown T/A as I'd read on CC of everyone loving the fish and chips. We both found the fish was really greasy with hardly any fish inside the batter.

The second time I ordered the Scotch Egg which I love but I've not had in years. It too, was awful, a dark brown colour on the outside and the sausage meat inside was a dark spicy kind of ..... I don't know what meat! It certainly didn't look or taste like sausage meat. DH had the curry, and he wasn't too fond of that either.

We decided not to bother with the pub lunch after that.

We went three times on our Coral Cruise last month and loved it. My DH had fish and chips every time and loved it. I had the fish and chips once and the curry twice. The curry was outstanding. Must be the difference in the ships.

We tried the pub lunch for the first time last month on the CB. I am rather picky about fish and I thought the fish was fine. It wasn't the best I ever had and certainly wasn't the worst. I'd give it a B+, which is more than above average.

DH had the Ploughman's Lunch and thought it was so-so and wished he had gotten the fish and chips like me. When we travel in December, we'll definitely try the pub lunch again.

Archived