Iron

cperk97

I understand that you are not allowed to bring irons on the ship. What I would like to do the first day on the ship is request an iron from the cabin stewart so I can iron all our clothes that need it and then put everything away for the week and return it to him/her after I am done. Does anyone know if this is even possible? I am even willing to "tip" with a international calling card in order to get an iron for an hour or so. Thanks so much in advance!

Jo Anne

Ithink I have read that NCL might loan irons, but you should check on that board. Not all cruise lines have laundry rooms, so if you need things ironed, you would need to send them out.

International calling cards that you buy in the US are only good for calls FROM the US to overseas points. Crew know where to get the best deals on calling cards. Don't waste you money on something they can't use. EM

Downey has 'Wrinkle Out', a spray that works well. Spray long before you want to wear anything then pull wrinkles out. My husband sprays his night time shirt and pants in the morning then by evening they are wrinkle free. We used to take a travel iron with us but no longer. And I will iron if there is a laundry on the ship.(When he forgets to spray his stuff!)

The reason for no irons is they don't want you ironing in your cabin. They don't need calling cards, plus the ones you purchase in the in the US are for calling TO a foreign country FROM the US.

I understand that you are not allowed to bring irons on the ship. What I would like to do the first day on the ship is request an iron from the cabin stewart so I can iron all our clothes that need it and then put everything away for the week and return it to him/her after I am done. Does anyone know if this is even possible? I am even willing to "tip" with a international calling card in order to get an iron for an hour or so. Thanks so much in advance!

Jo Anne

Jo An, the reason that they don't want you ironing in your room is for safety as fires are a major concern on a cruise ship.

Keith

Have not tried this myself, some some posters on another thread,on another board put their items on hangers and hang in the bathroom then turn the shower on high, It steams out all the wrinkles in a couple of minutes.

But I do it the old fashion way, with the iron and ironing board provided by Carnival in the laundry room down the hall from my cabin.

We pack our clothes in dry cleaners bag, used the Downey Wrinkle Release for the first time on our last cruise, which worked out great, but most often we have a "steamer" which we pack in our checked bags. we havent had a problem with in on CCL or RC as of yet.

Agree with PennyAgain. No irons allowed in rooms. Send your ironing out if your ship doesn't have a laundry room.

Did that on the last cruise I was on it cost me $7.50 to have a simple cocktail dress pressed. Then they "lost" it the night I wanted to wear it. I was stuck and had to do it but I don't want to pay that much to have my daughters cotton shorts and shirts ironed. I would let them walk around looking like they slept in their clothes before I pay that price again.

Jo Anne

Jo An, the reason that they don't want you ironing in your room is for safety as fires are a major concern on a cruise ship.

Keith

Keith,

I understand this as my husband is a Navy vet. Fire on ships is not a good thing. On the other hand people that smoke are allowed to smoke in their rooms that can be a fire hazard.

Jo Anne

Keith,

I understand this as my husband is a Navy vet. Fire on ships is not a good thing. On the other hand people that smoke are allowed to smoke in their rooms that can be a fire hazard.

Jo Anne

Jo Anne, I agree with you. I don't want to change this to a smoking thread but I am a believer that from a purely safety perspective that smoking should be eliminated from the rooms. I also think the other related issue of the irons is the amount of voltage they pull from the room and also that there are no ironing boards in the room and that people have all types of irons from those that automatically go out to those that say on.

Keith

Doers anyone remember the Royal Majesty? It was built by the old Dolphin Cruise line in very early 90's. When Dolphin went under NCL bought the ship and it became the Majesty, 1200 passengers. That was the only NCL ship we could stand and it ended up sailing from Charleston, SC. (It was sold to Louis cruises in England 2 years ago.

There was a fold out ironing board in every cabin! Don't know if you could get an iron from your steward or not. You though it was the top drawer until you opened it and out came an ironing board that was like folded in half! They never took them out!

Archived