dress code for dinner?

vols_159

Best idea I've heard yet but there would be some people who would complain.

Don't like the idea at all,but some would find fault in that.I think the compromise is RCI with Celebrity is part of has RCCL and Azamara to provide the astmosphere that some desire,but some complain that thats not good enough.Gotta pity those

:cj

Two questions: First, does this mean that men aren't requested to wear jackets on non-formal nights?

Second: What do men, in fact, tend to wear on those nights?

On Celebrity, men do not have to wear jackets on smart casual nights.

On smart causal nights most men wear a nice pair of pants and a shirt with a collar.

And please note that I did not mention anything about "stuffy old people", which would be the appropriate denigrating rebuttal to the implication that anti-formal people are as mature as four-year-olds.

I resemble that remark. I am definitely old, but don't consider myself stuffy at all. I don't have enough money to be stuffy. Just an ordinary working stiff that liked Celebrity and HAL for their elegance and reminders of what sailing an ocean liner USED TO BE LIKE.

I live in Southern California, I can go to Disneyland, Sea World, Universal Studios, & Knotts Berry Farm, if that is the kind of vacation I want. And I used to when my kids and grandkids were small. And we used to wear shorts and halter tops.

But when I lay out $3,000, $4,000, $5,000 for a cruise, I want it to be a little more special than jeans, shorts and tank tops. And that is what HAL and Celebrity have been noted for in the past.

I guess the main thing I object to, is people trying to take that away, when there are other cruiselines that do offer what they are looking for. I could really care less what you wear, but just "follow the cruiseline code of dress".

Let's be honest about this. Celebrity are in business to make money. I'm sure we all agree with that :)

Times are hard, worldwide, so filling a ship isn't as easy as it used to be. Hence X will not do anything that puts off any potential customers.

Their attitude will be "You pays Your money, You can do what You want"...... as long as it doesn't lose them money ofcourse !!

So they won't enforce dress codes. Why alienate anybody?

Really we should now call Formal Nights as "Dress up as much as you want" nights.

Yes, it is nice to see folks make an effort to dress out of the norm, but if the Host doesn't care, then that sets the standard. Like it or Lump it, I'm afraid.

I resemble that remark. I am definitely old, but don't consider myself stuffy at all. I don't have enough money to be stuffy. Just an ordinary working stiff that liked Celebrity and HAL for their elegance and reminders of what sailing an ocean liner USED TO BE LIKE.

I live in Southern California, I can go to Disneyland, Sea World, Universal Studios, & Knotts Berry Farm, if that is the kind of vacation I want. And I used to when my kids and grandkids were small. And we used to wear shorts and halter tops.

But when I lay out $3,000, $4,000, $5,000 for a cruise, I want it to be a little more special than jeans, shorts and tank tops. And that is what HAL and Celebrity have been noted for in the past.

I guess the main thing I object to, is people trying to take that away, when there are other cruiselines that do offer what they are looking for. I could really care less what you wear, but just "follow the cruiseline code of dress".

I purposely DID NOT try to comment about stuffy old people - I was just meaning to comment that, if someone who wants to get rid of formal nights can be called a crying four-year-old, then we can appropriately call the people who want to keep formal nights "stuffy old people". It's simply an eye-for-an-eye.

Personally, I don't want to attempt to stereotype anyone as a baby, or as a old-person, and I probably should have left that part out of my post since name-calling just gives an argument less weight, not more.

You wouldn't be talking about Joel Osteen's church would you? Lakewood? There are over 43,000 go there over any given weekend. It's the largest church in the U.S. We live in the Texas heat - near 100 every day for the last two weeks. The two churches we've gone to since we've lived down here (about 1000 each) no one wears shorts except for teens. Every now and then I will see a twenty something guy in shorts but that's it. On the other hand no one wears suits either - mostly what I would call smart casual. I do see jeans in the twenty and thirty somethings a lot on Sunday. Activities which are held during the middle of the week (Bible studies etc) just about everyone wears jeans or capris even people in their 70s.

Yes I would! Love it!! We live right down the road from you. Love the Woodlands. Most people wear smart casual at Lakewood as well, with some of the younger folks wearing jeans. I can't believe it's been so hot already. Just imagine what August is going to be like. :eek:

Yes I would! Love it!! We live right down the road from you. Love the Woodlands. Most people wear smart casual at Lakewood as well, with some of the younger folks wearing jeans. I can't believe it's been so hot already. Just imagine what August is going to be like. :eek:

Yes, it's too hot - 101 tomorrow and 100 Wednesday and Thursday. Hope it doesn't make it there. Anything above 90 is too hot.:eek:

I purposely DID NOT try to comment about stuffy old people - I was just meaning to comment that, if someone who wants to get rid of formal nights can be called a crying four-year-old, then we can appropriately call the people who want to keep formal nights "stuffy old people". It's simply an eye-for-an-eye.

Personally, I don't want to attempt to stereotype anyone as a baby, or as a old-person, and I probably should have left that part out of my post since name-calling just gives an argument less weight, not more.

Well put. It's ok for them to call people who do not live up to their standards of formal wear as "slobs" or "cry babys", but not ok to call them a bunch of whiny old farts who hate children. Don't worry, it is just a matter of time until Celebrity changes it's policy on formal nights and just allows smart casual every night. Don't worry, if you are not happy with the new dress attire, you can just choose another cruise line.

And if it goes to smart casual every night, what's next? Bathing suits and barefoot at dinner? That'll be the next big push. "I don't wanna wear shorts and a tee shirt to dinner, why can't I just go in my bathing suit????"

Pretty sure Azamara, Oceania, Seabourn, Regent haven't gone the bathing suit route so why on earth would you think Celebrity would?

Pretty sure Azamara, Oceania, Seabourn, Regent haven't gone the bathing suit route so why on earth would you think Celebrity would?

This seems to be one of the standard replies from the formal people regarding dressing down. They don't have much to hold onto lately and their grasping any any excuse to have everyone adhere to what they believe is correct.

Um, cost? Every one you mention is a premium cruise line. I am not saying the cruise lines would endorse it, I am saying that's what we'd hear here.

This seems to be one of the standard replies from the formal people regarding dressing down. They don't have much to hold onto lately and their grasping any any excuse to have everyone adhere to what they believe is correct.

Those of us ADHERE not just because we believe its correct ,

but because,

if a certain dress code is requested on formal nights by Celebrity ,( who must believe that it is correct ,as they are the ones setting the dress code )

then it is nothing short of good manners to dress appropriately.

And good manners are something that I definitely believe in :)

Um, cost? Every one you mention is a premium cruise line. I am not saying the cruise lines would endorse it, I am saying that's what we'd hear here.

If we start making analogies that "if we stop X, then it could lead to Y", then we could plug pretty much any scenario we could think of into that equation, whether it is reasonable or not. As examples, we could say "if we stop teaching religion in school, then the next generation could all be Satan worshipers" or "if we allow gay marriage, then it could lead to people marrying their dogs".

The point is - it doesn't matter what the level of affluence on a cruise ship is, these "if - then" scenarios are almost always done only as sensationalism or scare-tactics.

but because,

if a certain dress code is requested on formal nights by Celebrity ,( who must believe that it is correct ,as they are the ones setting the dress code )

You can abide by any & all the rules they publish if it make you feel better but until they actually enforce a particular rule it's another matter altogether- such as dressing for dinner. I will continue to pick & choose which ones I care to follow and a formal dress isn't one of them.

but because,

NOT adhering to the established rules that X has defined, and wanting those rules changed are two different things.

As I've said before - when I attend formal nights, I adhere to the rules; but I will also voice my displeasure with such rules whenever the appropriate venue arises (i.e. this thread, post-cruise questionnaires, etc.).

If we start making analogies that "if we stop X, then it could lead to Y", then we could plug pretty much any scenario we could think of into that equation, whether it is reasonable or not. As examples, we could say "if we stop teaching religion in school, then the next generation could all be Satan worshipers" or "if we allow gay marriage, then it could lead to people marrying their dogs".

The point is - it doesn't matter what the level of affluence on a cruise ship is, these "if - then" scenarios are almost always done only as sensationalism or scare-tactics.

Excuse me!

Could you be more careful what you post? My dog reads this forum regularly (he does not post). I don't want anyone putting ideas into his head. ;)

You can abide by any & all the rules they publish if it make you feel better but until they actually enforce a particular rule it's another matter altogether- such as dressing for dinner. I will continue to pick & choose which ones I care to follow and a formal dress isn't one of them.

I have spent the last 18 years dealing with people who like to pick and choose what rules they abide by , fortunately a lot of those criminals are now behind bars :D

And before anyone starts on, im not for a minute suggesting that its criminal not to follow a dress code .;):p:D

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Reba McEntire

I have spent the last 18 years dealing with people who like to pick and choose what rules they abide by , fortunately a lot of those criminals are now behind bars :D

And before anyone starts on, im not for a minute suggesting that its criminal not to follow a dress code .;):p:D

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Reba McEntire

Isn't it then quite silly to even post such a comment when you know very well that we're talking about two completely different things. Obeying governmental laws and ships rule are quite different.

Well put. It's ok for them to call people who do not live up to their standards of formal wear as "slobs" or "cry babys", but not ok to call them a bunch of whiny old farts who hate children. Don't worry, it is just a matter of time until Celebrity changes it's policy on formal nights and just allows smart casual every night. Don't worry, if you are not happy with the new dress attire, you can just choose another cruise line.

call me a whinny OLD FART all you want as long as you keep working hard to pay my Social Security

:cj

Isn't it then quite silly to even post such a comment when you know very well that we're talking about two completely different things. Obeying governmental laws and ships rule are quite different.

Im so happy to hear that you think so. I wouldnt like to think that you pick and choose which governmental laws you adhere to as easily as picking the ships rules :)

Im fed up feeding your arguments now , im off to feed the cat instead :D

Im so happy to hear that you think so. I wouldnt like to think that you pick and choose which governmental laws you adhere to as easily as picking the ships rules :)

Im fed up feeding your arguments now , im off to feed the cat instead :D

Only the ones I can get away with. ;)

We have recently been on the Equinox. Prior to the cruise we spent 18 days on a tour of Italy. There was no room in the suitcase for a sports jacket or suit that would only be worn maybe once or twice so on the formal night my husband wore dress trousers and a long sleeved shirt and was told he couldn't go into the MDR...but they could lend him a jacket. He wore it, but it was probably about 3 sizes too big so looked a little silly. The sleeves were a mile long. :rolleyes: We did see men later on with only shirts & no ties so they must have run out of spare jackets!

The next formal night we chose not to go to the MDR. :)

Archived