dress code for dinner?

vols_159

I have always wanted to wear a black waistcoat tuxedo. I have a standard tuxedo that I wear on formal cruise nights. I recently purchased a white pique bow-tie and vest which would look great with a waistcoat.

My only concern is a waistcoat too formal and will I be "out-of-place" if I wear one on formal cruise nights? Anyone seen anyone in a "tails" tuxedo on a cruise?

Thanks,

Bob

My DH wears a tuxedo on every formal night as do many others. So 1990's? I think not.

If you are comfortable not following guidelines because you feel they do not apply to you, then so be it. My night is not ruined because you dress shabbily on a formal night, but it is very apparent who the people without social graces are.

It's time to upgrade the wardrobe to 2011. I just went to 2 wedding in the past 2 months and not one person wore a tux. Everyone wore a black suit and tie.

Very bad advice. I agree with you about the tuxes, not particularly about the suits. Where you go way off base and give bad advice is to tell someone to wear a nice collar shirt and pants. If someone takes your advice and walks into the MDR on formal nights they could be refused entry. How do you justify giving such poor advice. I have seen it done and recently. That is not what the boards are for.

Sorry, I meant a button down shirt and sport coat. Of coarse it would be worn with a nice pair of pants. You will not be denied "entry" if you wore something like that.

Very bad advice. I agree with you about the tuxes, not particularly about the suits. Where you go way off base and give bad advice is to tell someone to wear a nice collar shirt and pants. If someone takes your advice and walks into the MDR on formal nights they could be refused entry. How do you justify giving such poor advice. I have seen it done and recently. That is not what the boards are for.

Disagree completely.All you need is a pair of slacks,A collared shirt and a sports jacket and you won't be denied entrance to MDR on formal night.The sports jacket is a must.

Disagree completely.All you need is a pair of slacks,A collared shirt and a sports jacket and you won't be denied entrance to MDR on formal night.The sports jacket is a must.

Could you just tell me what part of that outfit would be classified as 'formal'?

Could you just tell me what part of that outfit would be classified as 'formal'?

Does not really matter.I've never benn kicked out of the MDR.What are you going to do when Celebrity introduces SMART CASUAL on all of their ships.It's closer than you think.

Sorry, I meant a button down shirt and sport coat. Of coarse it would be worn with a nice pair of pants. You will not be denied "entry" if you wore something like that.

You are correct there is a matter of what the dress code is and reality. You will not be denied entry currently on Celebrity ships with that mode of dress. Thats simply reality.

I'm sure that some here will doubt this but it is the way it was.

On Solstice in March I was told by the Maitre D' for our section that a tie was not needed on formal night, a jacket was sufficient. Our waiter reemphasized this as we we leaving dinner the first night.

I did wear a tie on the first formal night but elected not to on the second one and was comfortable each way.

It's time to upgrade the wardrobe to 2011. I just went to 2 wedding in the past 2 months and not one person wore a tux. Everyone wore a black suit and tie.

Was there a dress code on the wedding invitations that started off with tuxedo? People do still hold black tie events -- just because you're not attending them doesn't mean they don't exist and that the clothes should be eliminated from someone's wardrobe.

CAthy:

It is not formal but you have to blame the people at Celebrity. Wearing that outfit will definitely allow him to enter the dining room Celebrity doesn't enforce their own rules.

I also agree and have said it in the past that Celebrity will be going to smart casual every night very soon.

I'm sure that some here will doubt this but it is the way it was.

On Solstice in March I was told by the Maitre D' for our section that a tie was not needed on formal night, a jacket was sufficient. Our waiter reemphasized this as we we leaving dinner the first night.

I did wear a tie on the first formal night but elected not to on the second one and was comfortable each way.

That's good to know! I have commented in the past that it doesn't specifically say that a tie is required in the dress code, and have been jumped all over by other posters who are saying it should be "assumed" that you need to wear a tie.

I might not even pack one now, after reading your comment. Thanks. ;)

Get off the soap box.When Celebrity's Revenue stream gets Interrupted they won't care what the definition of Formal is.Look at the recent cruise critic poll; only 22% were in favor of FORMAL NIGHTS.

CAthy:

It is not formal but you have to blame the people at Celebrity. Wearing that outfit will definitely allow him to enter the dining room Celebrity doesn't enforce their own rules.

I also agree and have said it in the past that Celebrity will be going to smart casual every night very soon.

My last Celebrity cruise was in January 2011, and up until and including that cruise, the vast majority of gentlemen on all of my Celebrity cruises have dressed "within the spirit of the dress code"...i.e, at least a dark suit or dark blazer and dark pants. That still provides an ambiance where people who would like to dress up in a gown and tux can feel comfortable doing so. If Celebrity goes to smart casual, the option of dressing formally really is off the table for people who like to "fit in" to the prevailing style of dress.

If there are a few men who insist on wearing a sports coat, shirt with no tie and dockers on formal night, that doesn't bother me, and I'm sure that's why Celebrity doesn't cause a scene when they enter the dining room. They really aren't affecting the critical mass in any important way.

I think it would be really sad if Celebrity goes to Smart Casual every night, because there are a lot of people who would miss the option of dressing up for a romantic evening out with their partner. Even my husband, who I'm sure would rather wear smart casual (truth is...he would rather wear shorts :p), would support retaining formal nights so that the option of dressing up still exists for those who prefer it. We are taking our 4-year old grand-daughter on a Med cruise in July, and my DH is looking forward to dressing up on formal nights to excort her to dinner, as she thinks she is a princess, and will probably be wearing a tiara!

My last Celebrity cruise was in January 2011, and up until and including that cruise, the vast majority of gentlemen on all of my Celebrity cruises have dressed "within the spirit of the dress code"...i.e, at least a dark suit or dark blazer and dark pants. That still provides an ambiance where people who would like to dress up in a gown and tux can feel comfortable doing so. If Celebrity goes to smart casual, the option of dressing formally really is off the table for people who like to "fit in" to the prevailing style of dress.

If there are a few men who insist on wearing a sports coat, shirt with no tie and dockers on formal night, that doesn't bother me, and I'm sure that's why Celebrity doesn't cause a scene when they enter the dining room. They really aren't affecting the critical mass in any important way.

I think it would be really sad if Celebrity goes to Smart Casual every night, because there are a lot of people who would miss the option of dressing up for a romantic evening out with their partner. Even my husband, who I'm sure would rather wear smart casual (truth is...he would rather wear shorts :p), would support retaining formal nights so that the option of dressing up still exists for those who prefer it. We are taking our 4-year old grand-daughter on a Med cruise in July, and my DH is looking forward to dressing up on formal nights to excort her to dinner, as she thinks she is a princess, and will probably be wearing a tiara!

Well said, Elena. Personally, I would be okay if formal nights went away, but your comment makes a lot of sense and I can completely understand the logic. In fact, if more people made comments like yours, instead of the over-the-top, condescending comments (made by both sides) that are so rampant, then I think these dress code threads would stay much more civilized.

I think it would be really sad if Celebrity goes to Smart Casual every night, because there are a lot of people who would miss the option of dressing up for a romantic evening out with their partner.

Why, since you would always have the option of dressing formally on any night you wish?

You are correct there is a matter of what the dress code is and reality. You will not be denied entry currently on Celebrity ships with that mode of dress. Thats simply reality.

Again, I find myself agreeing with Don!:eek::eek:

Tell you DH NCL has smart casual Which includes kahakais shorts.. And from what ive read so does carnival.. I dont know if you would ever consider these 2 lines ive traveled only on NCL 2x and loved it.. Im not one who is comfortable in a suit and tie so i dont own one.. I like button down shirts Happy sailings to all

Wow.. just wow.. everybody is disagreement.. I just have something to add.. Why do you go to the MDR? Why? Because I go for the Food nothing more nothing less.. If the MDR menu isnt what i want i go somewhere else..Buffet maybe or Sports bar.. I have a feeling most people in disagreement on this thread Dress on on formal night (tuxs ect) to make themselves feel better or to get compliments for the waitors or other paxs.. the ones who dress how they want (sports jacket) or whatever they can just to get in the door only care about one thing.. Eating and being happy.. To you I raise my glass.. You are on vacation people not a black tie presidential dinner!

A few years since I was on NCL, enjoyed it too. Even then I remember seeing people in jeans and shorts being asked to change for the MDR.

Even freestyle has a dress code, and appeared to enforce them. I still enjoy the formal nights and can appreciate that some may not or have become tired of them. The ships are big enough to cater for the changing tastes of customers. If you don't like formals then vote with your feet.

Kahkis shorts are allowed in the MDR now.. I wore shorts every evening on my last ncl cruise even to the brizilian steak house Moderno 2x.. Ncl has 2 MDR on the ships ive been on one is smart casual the other is "dress up" no shorts allowed.. both have the same menu..

I, personally, wouldn't mind if the number of formal nights was decreased or even eliminated.. However, I do ALWAYS abide by the wishes and expectations of my host (ie, the cruise line).

I propose this:. What about if, on a 14-day cruise, they designate 3 evenings as Smart Casual / Formal?. This way, people would have a choice - YET these evenings would inevitably be more elegant - as many of those who wish to dress up may indeed do so.. In fact, those who are dressed "to-the-nines" would stand out spectacularly.... a win-win for everybody.

- Rick

I have a feeling most people in disagreement on this thread Dress on on formal night (tuxs ect) to make themselves feel better or to get compliments for the waitors or other paxs.. the ones who dress how they want (sports jacket) or whatever they can just to get in the door only care about one thing.. Eating and being happy..

Maybe we are looking at this from similar points-of-view, but I think this is an excellent observation.

I know that I do indeed follow the formal dress code, but I am not ashamed to say that I only do the bare minimum to fit into the dress code, so I can get in the door and not feel guilty.

That's good to know! I have commented in the past that it doesn't specifically say that a tie is required in the dress code, and have been jumped all over by other posters who are saying it should be "assumed" that you need to wear a tie.

I might not even pack one now, after reading your comment. Thanks. ;)

1. Ties are required for standard formal wear. Only exception is if you are wearing a type of alternative formalwear that is designed specifically to be worn without a tie.

2. Celebrity will not require you to wear a tie. They might, or might not, require a jacket.

Does not really matter.I've never benn kicked out of the MDR.What are you going to do when Celebrity introduces SMART CASUAL on all of their ships.It's closer than you think.

Ha Ha!! I wasn't talking about getting kicked out of the MDR!!! I just wanted to know what part of that get-up was classified as 'formal'!

If I wanted to dress like a slob I would stay home and go to In and Out Burger. Did that tonight. :D I'd look like an idiot there in a full length gown!

Archived