dress code for dinner?

vols_159

I believe people are trying to answer the question not being clothes police as you call it. I hate it when someone gets accused of this crap for trying to answer a posters question..Usually its those who contribute nothing but criticism to the conversation.

Looks like I struck someone in the badge!;)

And I did answer the op's question by telling him that I would have no problem with what he chooses to wear whatsoever!

looks like i will be sticking with NCL or carnival.. i posted the same thing on carnival board and there paxs are very friendly and say shorts are acceptable.. I hate that i wont consider a cruise line because i dont do the whole dress up thing..

Believe it or not, NCL USED to have a dress code....Freestyle has only been around about 10 years. They addressed the dress code for those who want to wear a more casual type clothing and it keeps many people coming back. I've cruised NCL three times, the last two times being Freestyle and I have no problem with it,:) however there are things that I can't seem to get past when NCL is concerned and for us it was time to try something else.

I don't think anyone was being unfriendly in telling you that there is a dress code to abide by. You stated what you don't feel you can live with and you were told that there were expectations of dressing for dinner. I know for us part of the fun for us has been getting new clothing for our upcoming cruise. We are truly looking forward to going back to the more traditional experience.

Just FYI in regards to Carnival. I have three friends who cruise on them routinely and have looked at each of their pictures and more often than not on Carnival's *Cruise Elegant* evenings, people were dressed a lot more formal than I expected to see....so you may not be happy with that either....if that's the case just remember, there's always room service!:D

Whatever you choose, have a wonderful time! :)

Does Celebrity have a "clothing optional" dining room? I am a nudist, and while I don't like to eat in the buffet, I do like to eat in the buff. On formal nights, would I be required to wear a tie?

Sorry, just trying to lighten things up a bit. :)

Looks like I struck someone in the badge!;)

And I did answer the op's question by telling him that I would have no problem with what he chooses to wear whatsoever!

No, actually what you wear is irrelevent as is what I wear. It is what Celebrity requests which answers the question. And you didn't stick me anywhere, I just get annoyed when people who answer the question are criticized for giving a factual answer and I will stick up for them everytime.

No, actually what you wear is irrelevent as is what I wear. It is what Celebrity requests which answers the question. And you didn't stick me anywhere, I just get annoyed when people who answer the question are criticized for giving a factual answer and I will stick up for them everytime.

Some people really don't want the facts. They just want you to tell them it's okay to do what they want even if it's against the stated policies :rolleyes:.

I know what some posters mean when they claim to get "annoyed". I too get annoyed when some posters try to relegate someone to the buffet or to another cruise line when someone does not dress to their idea of standards.

I know what some posters mean when they claim to get "annoyed". I too get annoyed when some posters try to relegate someone to the buffet or to another cruise line when someone does not dress to their idea of standards.

No one, other than the cruise line itself, is trying to relegate you or anyone else to the buffet.

The OP asked (1) what was the dress code; (2) can we wear shorts in the dining room; and (3) does anyone have a problem with him wearing shorts.

Part of his inquiry was a request for facts - the facts are that there is a dress code which specifies a certain type of dress and that he could not wear shorts in the dining room. Some posters, including myself, tried to go the extra mile in being helpful by indicating that there are some lax areas in the dress code for the dining room but shorts are not one of them and also suggested that there were alternative places to dine where one could wear shorts. This is not quite approaching relegating anyone anyplace - just presenting the facts.

The second part of his question specifically asked for peoples opinion when he asked: "Is this a problem for anyone?"

When you ask for opinions you are going to get them and likely, as we see here, a large range of opinions with some being very strong on both sides of the fence. No one should be upset that someone else has an opinion different from theirs if they are asking "Is this a problem for anyone?".

Does Celebrity have a "clothing optional" dining room? I am a nudist, and while I don't like to eat in the buffet, I do like to eat in the buff. On formal nights, would I be required to wear a tie?

Sorry, just trying to lighten things up a bit. :)

If you are a male nudist and elect to dine in the MDR you MUST attach a colorful BOW Tie on your exposed male genitaIia. Flashing LED lights would also be great. ;):D:mad::eek:

Have a great cruise - We will be looking out for you !!!!!!!

You are really misunderstanding everybody's posts. Nobody is speaking about "their standards" - several posters objectively stated facts about Celebrity's dress code. It is Celebrity's standards people have been speaking about. For some reason you chose to insult people who were providing helpful, factual information so that the OP (if he was asking a serious question) can make an informed choice as to which cruise line to sail with. Were the OP to attempt to wear shorts to the MDR on a Celebrity ship, most likely he would be turned away and denied admittance (aside from on the first night due to some not yet having access to their luggage). This says nothing about my standards (or even if I am for or against the current dress code) - it is just facts about sailing on Celebrity.

Some people really don't want the facts. They just want you to tell them it's okay to do what they want even if it's against the stated policies :rolleyes:.

Policy or not they just want to know what people are really doing.

Not all policies are enforced to the fullest so whats the harm in asking?

Some people think it is rude to direct people with dress code questions to alternatives to the MDR if they don't want to follow the dress code. I don't really understand why they believe this is rude, as people are just pointing out the options for those that don't want to break the rules or those that would feel uncomfortalbe being less dressed up than most of the other crusers in the MDR. If my DW was less into getting dressed up, I would probably take advantage of those options for at least one of our three formal nights myself.

We just got off the Equinox on an 11 day Med cruise. This has always been humorous to me why people care so much about how other people dress. Well just off the ship here is what is going on with dress attire 4 days ago. On non formal nights, I would say 75% of men were in nice jeans and maybe 5% had sport jackets. On formal night, maybe 10% had tuxedos, 40% had suits, 20% had just jackets and the rest had slacks or jeans. No one was turned away. Celebrity has realized people do not want to dress up on vacation. All the people on this board should realize it too. The people who keep saying the same thing over and over about it is the "dress code policy" need to get something else to worry about.

You know, it's funny. Whenever people cite their "experience" as support (or lack of support) for the existing dress code, it just so happens that what they see coincides with their preferences.

Bestdent, for example, claims that 75% of people wore jeans, and almost no one wore tuxes on formal nights (no offense, bestdent, since I'm actually in agreement with you :)); but then others (usually people who are against jeans in the MDR) will claim that "everyone knows you don't wear jeans to dinner", and so conveniently they saw only 1 or 2 people in the whole MDR wearing jeans, ever, for the entire cruise.

I guess it just shows that we see what we want to see.

Here is an off question, who the hell still wears tuxedos....that is so 1990's. Everyone wears suits not. I have never had a problem wearing a sprt coat and a nice shirt (no tie). Don't listen to what everyone says on here. If you are confortable weating a nice collar shirt and pants, then do so. Does everyone's food taste different if you see someone dressed like that. Is your whole night ruined if you see that.

Here is an off question, who the hell still wears tuxedos....that is so 1990's. Everyone wears suits not. I have never had a problem wearing a sprt coat and a nice shirt (no tie). Don't listen to what everyone says on here. If you are confortable weating a nice collar shirt and pants, then do so. Does everyone's food taste different if you see someone dressed like that. Is your whole night ruined if you see that.

Agree with you 100%.

My DH wears a tuxedo on every formal night as do many others. So 1990's? I think not.

If you are comfortable not following guidelines because you feel they do not apply to you, then so be it. My night is not ruined because you dress shabbily on a formal night, but it is very apparent who the people without social graces are.

There are people who do not dress appropriately for a stated dress code because they do not know any better, e.g. the person who thinks that wearing a sports jacket is the correct form of attire when they see "dinner jacket" as an option for formal night.

Then there are people that DO know better, but just think that the dress code doesn't apply to them, because their comfort is paramount. A sports jacket and open collared shirt will never be appropriate dress on a Celebrity formal night, but if not being dressed correctly for the stated dress code doesn't bother them, then I certainly don't care. I didn't raise them and I am not responsible for the way they turned out.

Lots of men wear tuxes to formal events, and look entirely dashing when doing so. You need to get out more.

Very bad advice. I agree with you about the tuxes, not particularly about the suits. Where you go way off base and give bad advice is to tell someone to wear a nice collar shirt and pants. If someone takes your advice and walks into the MDR on formal nights they could be refused entry. How do you justify giving such poor advice. I have seen it done and recently. That is not what the boards are for.

You know, it's funny. Whenever people cite their "experience" as support (or lack of support) for the existing dress code, it just so happens that what they see coincides with their preferences.

Bestdent, for example, claims that 75% of people wore jeans, and almost no one wore tuxes on formal nights (no offense, bestdent, since I'm actually in agreement with you :)); but then others (usually people who are against jeans in the MDR) will claim that "everyone knows you don't wear jeans to dinner", and so conveniently they saw only 1 or 2 people in the whole MDR wearing jeans, ever, for the entire cruise.

I guess it just shows that we see what we want to see.

A very accurate post..

Some people think it is rude to direct people with dress code questions to alternatives to the MDR if they don't want to follow the dress code. I don't really understand why they believe this is rude, as people are just pointing out the options for those that don't want to break the rules or those that would feel uncomfortalbe being less dressed up than most of the other crusers in the MDR. If my DW was less into getting dressed up, I would probably take advantage of those options for at least one of our three formal nights myself.

Since you've hauled the formal clothing all that way, you might just as well wear it every night for dinner but I see that she sets the rules.

We just got off the Equinox on an 11 day Med cruise. This has always been humorous to me why people care so much about how other people dress. Well just off the ship here is what is going on with dress attire 4 days ago. On non formal nights, I would say 75% of men were in nice jeans and maybe 5% had sport jackets. On formal night, maybe 10% had tuxedos, 40% had suits, 20% had just jackets and the rest had slacks or jeans. No one was turned away. Celebrity has realized people do not want to dress up on vacation. All the people on this board should realize it too. The people who keep saying the same thing over and over about it is the "dress code policy" need to get something else to worry about.

I was under the impression that Celebrity was still a very formal cruise line. :cool:

otoco;29526043]Here is an off question, who the hell still wears tuxedos....that is so 1990's. Everyone wears suits not. I have never had a problem wearing a sprt coat and a nice shirt (no tie). Don't listen to what everyone says on here. If you are confortable weating a nice collar shirt and pants, then do so. Does everyone's food taste different if you see someone dressed like that. Is your whole night ruined if you see that.

The people who bought them for a cruise back in 1990 & don't know where else to wear them. :D They now feel that they would like to see everyone dressing similar & criticize when other don't. ;)

You know, it's funny. Whenever people cite their "experience" as support (or lack of support) for the existing dress code, it just so happens that what they see coincides with their preferences......

I agree completely!

By the way, on my last cruise, many the women wore very low-cut plunging tops to the MDR.....I guess what 'I saw' coincides with my 'preferences'

Just a thought.

Den

I agree completely!

By the way, on my last cruise, many the women wore very low-cut plunging tops to the MDR.....I guess what 'I saw' coincides with my 'preferences'

Just a thought.

Den

Great minds think alike...

I'd like to see the percentages on a non nudist cruise by a nudist....

Archived