dress code for dinner?

vols_159

What is the current dress code for the MDR ? Im a simple guy and dressing up for dinner on vacation is not gonna happen.. I plan on wearing a collared shirt and khakis.. Is this a problem for anyone?

You'll find, here on Cruise Critic, that it is a problem for many people. Others will tell you that they don't care. You'll also find that on formal nights you are likely to be handed a jacket as you enter the MDR. Khakis aren't formal wear, in any case, so perhaps on formal nights you would be better off at the buffet, or ordering room service, or going to one of the specialty restaurants.

What is the current dress code for the MDR ? Im a simple guy and dressing up for dinner on vacation is not gonna happen.. I plan on wearing a collared shirt and khakis.. Is this a problem for anyone?

I think khaki pants and a collared shirt are fine for the non-formal nights, but not for formal nights. Then again, while I do dress up, my dining experience will not be ruined by somebody wearing khakis...

Just got off the Summit last week and saw quite a mixed bag when it came to attire in the dining room. Collard shirt & khakis were just fine. Formal night for most men was a sportscoat, collared shirt, some with ties, more than a lot without. I observed no one without a jacket being handed one, and saw many men without jackets. Lots of folks dressed also, more ladies then men. No one looked out of place in whatever it was they chose to wear. Everyone was neat in appearance. I get the impression that most people are leaning towards trying to get away with not dressing formal. I'm sure there will be lots of discussion about this.

I just dont understand dressing up for dinner.. with a 3 piece suit tie jacket ect.. Just dont get it at all .. we are all on vacation.. I dont even own a 3 piece suit because its not confey for me.. And i could care less what people around me wear.. I understand no tank tops ect.. but whats the big problem with clean shorts and nice shirts?

There are cruise lines which are more formal, and cruise lines that are less formal. Perhaps you'll be more comfortable on one that doesn't have formal nights?

Recently was in New York. Made a reservation for a restaurant which reminded us that they have a dress code and no one will be admitted who didn't follow it. Our choice whether to go there or not, but there's no sense arguing with them, it's their restaurant.

Same with cruise lines.

There are cruise lines which are more formal, and cruise lines that are less formal. Perhaps you'll be more comfortable on one that doesn't have formal nights?

Recently was in New York. Made a reservation for a restaurant which reminded us that they have a dress code and no one will be admitted who didn't follow it. Our choice whether to go there or not, but there's no sense arguing with them, it's their restaurant.

Same with cruise lines.

But thats with a private resturant a cruise ship to me is different your meals are included in the fare other than the up charge resturant.. so IMO you have already paid to eat at all the MDR or any free resturant.. Im not talking about wearing nasty clothes.. Im talking about a clean pair of shorts.. and a nice dress shirt.. I can look as good as anyone in a 3 piece suit in my shorts and nice shirt of course This is just my opioion! I just find it odd theres a dress code in the free MDR but not the Up sell resturants.. Why because they want your money??

On Celebrity that form of dress is fine for smart casual nights. On formal nights you may be offered a jacket to wear or denied entry into the dining room.It depends on who is at the entrance.

I just dont understand dressing up for dinner.. with a 3 piece suit tie jacket ect.. Just dont get it at all .. we are all on vacation.. I dont even own a 3 piece suit because its not confey for me.. And i could care less what people around me wear.. I understand no tank tops ect.. but whats the big problem with clean shorts and nice shirts?

Respectfully, please do your research before booking a particular cruiseline as that will help in making sure you'll have a comfortable match with your particular needs on vacation. Again, IMHO, this works best for most people.:)

To the original poster: A collared shirt and khakis are just fine for most nights. Some people will be more dressed up than that and some less, but your description completely meets the smart casual dress code.

But on formal nights, formal wear is specified in the dining room. My observation on many cruises has been that in recent years, depending on the itinerary, about 40 to 60% of men wear tuxes on formal night. Another large percentage, bringing to total to 75% to 90% wear dark suits. The majority of the reminder wear a sport jacket and nice shirt and most of them, but not all, wear ties and they don't seem to have any issues getting into the dining room despite that this does not meet the dress code. On some cruises they allow people in dressed casually and on some they don't. Either way doesn't give me a problem even though I'll be wearing my tux and enjoying the formal ambiance which is at least a small part of what us, and the majority of Celebrity's other cruises, enjoy about sailing on Celebrity.

If you prefer not to wear a tux, suit or even a jacket on formal night that is up to you. As I said above I won't have a problem with it. As long as you don't mind being out of sync with the rest of the crowd there is no issue unless the dining room management turns you away - there is a chance that they might as they have been known to turn away guests not wearing a jacket although it seems that is not often the case.

The only people I'd have a bit of a problem with would be those dressed extremely sloppy or more daytime casual (non-dress t-shirts and shorts or raggity pants) on formal night. Occasionally even people dressed like this are allowed in and while it detracts a bit from the ambiance it doesn't prevent us from enjoying the evening.

There is nothing wrong with that at all. I think that in the right place clean shorts and nice shirts are a great option. But for better or worse on Celebrity it is not allowed in the evening. By choosing Celebrity you've chosen to dress up a bit more than that if you plan on dining in the main dining room or specialty restuarants at night. There are alternative dining areas of the ship where this would be fine in the evening, but not the dining rooms. If that isn't your cup of tea there are other cruise lines where there is no such policy and these might be a better choice for you.

I'm not making a personal judgment on this - just the facts. It doesn't make sense to choose to go to a dressy place and then dress overly casual. If you want to dress real casual at night then choose a cruise line or resort where this is appropriate.

But thats with a private resturant a cruise ship to me is different your meals are included in the fare other than the up charge resturant.. so IMO you have already paid to eat at all the MDR or any free resturant.. Im not talking about wearing nasty clothes.. Im talking about a clean pair of shorts.. and a nice dress shirt.. I can look as good as anyone in a 3 piece suit in my shorts and nice shirt of course This is just my opioion! I just find it odd theres a dress code in the free MDR but not the Up sell resturants.. Why because they want your money??

I guess that is where we just differ in our judgement and opinion.

I see no difference between choosing a fancy restuarant or formal event and wearing shorts and picking a cruise line with a dress code with the intention of not honoring it. If you don't want to have to dress up then there are other options that don't require it for both restaurants and cruise lines.

And if you insist that the Celebrity cruise is what you want but still don't want to dress for dinner then there are other options on the ship for you as well.

A question for the OP ... Why did you post this on each of the major cruise line's boards (Princess, Celebrity, Carnival, etc.)?

Are you just trying to see which cruise line's potential passengers respond the friendliest? If so, that's an interesting experiment and so far the answers have been very civil and friendly for the most part.

A question for the OP ... Why did you post this on each of the major cruise line's boards (Princess, Celebrity, Carnival, etc.)?

Are you just trying to see which cruise line's potential passengers respond the friendliest? If so, that's an interesting experiment and so far the answers have been very civil and friendly for the most part.

Aha! A sociological experiment!

I hope the OP publishes his findings here!

Happy Father's Day to all fathers. May you dress today in whatever makes you smile.

Sounds like the OP is trying to find a line that will fit his needs....OR he could just be someone looking to start a "lively discussion".

When we want beach casual and shorts at dinner, we'll head for a land vacation on a beach. We save X for the time we want somethng a bit more special in the evenings.

I think this draws an end to this thread.

I was wondering the same thing, sradogna, why did the OP post this in every major cruise line thread - and seriously, the sam exact post and response in each thread? Not sure what the poster is looking for.

Cruise lines have dress codes - for the pool areas, for the buffets, for the MDR, for the lounges, etc. While we may not pay as close attention to the ones for the buffets or the pool areas, we all sure as heck focus mighty tightly on to the dress codes for dinner in the main dining room.

So there's a dress code. If you don't want to follow it, don't go. It is made very clear on their websites and in their advertising that there is a dress code - you don't see anyone in the commercials or ads at the dinner table in shorts and T-shirt!

If you don't like it, don't book it. If you do book it and still don't like it, don't eat in the MDR on the nights you don't like the dress code. We are not 3 year olds, we have a choice on where we eat and how we dress. If you don't want to follow the guidelines, don't ruin it for those who do; eat in the less formal restuarants - heck, the dining spot up at the buffet on Celebrity which is set each night as a restaurant with waiter service is even called "Casual dining option"! Same menu as MDR - casual dining option!!!

In short, what's the point of posting this everywhere - to get folks riled up? If you don't want to dress, you don't have to. You also don't have to dine in the MDR. Simple as that.

Sounds to me like you are trying to stir up trouble. MacDonalds may suit your dress style but in more sophisticated dining venues food expectations and therefore dress are a little higher.

Good luck!

Sounds like you plan to wear the shirt and slacks regardless of comments or suggestions from this board. Not sure why you asked in the first place.

Go ahead and dress as you describe your comfort level, just be prepared to perhaps be denied entrance to the dining room, or be handed a used jacket to wear. If there is no dress issue as you enter the dining room, then no problem.

M

Yes you are right I did post in all the major lines.. for one reason I have cruised NCL freestyle where Clean shorts and nice shirts are acceptable and most fellow cruisers dress this way.. One reason i havnt tired other lines is because I dont wanna dress up just to go to dinner.. I wanna relax and have a good time.. I was just wanting Cruisers from each line thoughts on what the dress code was and why Clean nice shorts is not acceptable.. Im not talking about a bathing suit or tank tops Im talking about nice shorts and collard t shirts like something you would wear to church..

Collard shirts gave me a laugh -- they would be green, I assume?:)

Seriously, our thoughts on the suitability of shorts for church or for dinner in the the MDR on Celebrity, for the most part, aren't going to change your mind, so again, perhaps this isn't the line for you, or if you do choose Celebrity, keep the alternative venues such as the pizza bar or buffet area in mind. Or perhaps, a better vacation for you would be an all inclusive resort, but I do know that even some of those don't allow shorts in one or more of their venues. Had friends who went to an AI in the Cancun area and weren't able to eat in their better dining rooms in shorts.

Yes you are right I did post in all the major lines.. for one reason I have cruised NCL freestyle where Clean shorts and nice shirts are acceptable and most fellow cruisers dress this way.. One reason i havnt tired other lines is because I dont wanna dress up just to go to dinner.. I wanna relax and have a good time.. I was just wanting Cruisers from each line thoughts on what the dress code was and why Clean nice shorts is not acceptable.. Im not talking about a bathing suit or tank tops Im talking about nice shorts and collard t shirts like something you would wear to church..

I'm a little confused as your first post talked about wearing Khakis and later you switched to clean shorts.

On Celebrity you will not be allowed in the dining room most of the time other than the first night where almost anything goes since a few people might not have their luggage yet. I think you'll have an easier time getting in on formal night with dirty khakis than casual nights with clean shorts even though the khakis without a jacket are not a slam dunk.

Sounds like you've found out what you want here - Celebrity might not be the line for you since, unlike NCL, they do have an evening dress code for the dining room and it is common courtesy to follow it.

I'm a little confused as your first post talked about wearing Khakis and later you switched to clean shorts.

On Celebrity you will not be allowed in the dining room most of the time other than the first night where almost anything goes since a few people might not have their luggage yet. I think you'll have an easier time getting in on formal night with dirty khakis than casual nights with clean shorts even though the khakis without a jacket are not a slam dunk.

Sounds like you've found out what you want here - Celebrity might not be the line for you since, unlike NCL, they do have an evening dress code for the dining room and it is common courtesy to follow it.

dont be confussed i was talking about kahkais shorts and a golf type shirt.. im on vacation slacks /jackets arent n my closet... and yes b4 i get jumped on i would wear this to any church / resturant n my area.. and not to offend any1 i just wanna be happy and comfy and enjoy a good meal.. dont wanna be sittin at the table all evening uncomfortable.. happy sailings to all.. smart casual or not

and to answer someone else on ncl theyhave 2 mdr that serve the same menu one has a strict dress code the other is smart casual which shorts are okay also they have dress up or not nights where u can come in tuxs and evening dresses or like me kahkais shorts and polo shirt.. u can also eat anytime u want mdr open @ 530 close around 10

... on ncl theyhave 2 mdr that serve the same menu one has a strict dress code the other is smart casual which shorts are okay also they have dress up or not nights where u can come in tuxs and evening dresses or like me kahkais shorts and polo shirt...

I guess that is the point. NCL has this but Celebrity does not. on Celebrity they only have the one dining room with the dress code and shorts are not allowed at night there. the only place they are allowed is the buffet area which has a limited menu at night.

Would you go into the dressy dining room on NCL in your shorts and casual shirt? Or would you just go to the dining room that is casual where shorts are allowed?

If you have to have that option stick to a cruise line that offers it.

looks like i will be sticking with NCL or carnival.. i posted the same thing on carnival board and there paxs are very friendly and say shorts are acceptable.. I hate that i wont consider a cruise line because i dont do the whole dress up thing..

Archived