dress code for dinner?

vols_159

looks like i will be sticking with NCL or carnival.. i posted the same thing on carnival board and there paxs are very friendly and say shorts are acceptable.. I hate that i wont consider a cruise line because i dont do the whole dress up thing..

*shrugs* that's why there are different cruise lines. There's something for everyone. If they were all alike, it would be pretty boring.

and to answer someone else on ncl theyhave 2 mdr that serve the same menu one has a strict dress code the other is smart casual which shorts are okay also they have dress up or not nights where u can come in tuxs and evening dresses or like me kahkais shorts and polo shirt.. u can also eat anytime u want mdr open @ 530 close around 10

You may wish to remain with NCL.

looks like i will be sticking with NCL or carnival.. i posted the same thing on carnival board and there paxs are very friendly and say shorts are acceptable.. I hate that i wont consider a cruise line because i dont do the whole dress up thing..

Good move!

Shorts to CHURCH????????????:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

When did THAT become acceptable?

I was heartbroken to see people at my mother-in-law's funeral wearing jeans and work shirts, so disrespectful, but SHORTS?????

I suggest that you and NCL are a great fit.

But thats with a private resturant a cruise ship to me is different your meals are included in the fare other than the up charge resturant.. so IMO you have already paid to eat at all the MDR or any free resturant.. Im not talking about wearing nasty clothes.. Im talking about a clean pair of shorts.. and a nice dress shirt.. I can look as good as anyone in a 3 piece suit in my shorts and nice shirt of course This is just my opioion! I just find it odd theres a dress code in the free MDR but not the Up sell resturants.. Why because they want your money??

Oh, there is a dress code in the specialty restaurants, and you won't be admitted in shorts and shirt no matter what evening. And once you see the specialty restaurants, you'll understand the ambience factor. Even though they say it's elegant casual in the specialty restaurants, you'll find a vast majority of patrons will still dress up in dress slacks, dress shirt and jacket. And, shorts are never allowed in the main dining room at night, even on the elegant casual nights. I have personally seen men refused admittance to the MDR at night while wearing shorts. Seriously, there are lines where you can wear clean, or dirty shorts 24/7, but Celebrity isn't one of them. It makes no difference if your shorts are clean, it's still in poor taste in the MDR at night.

I've never understood the OP's thoughts or others who complain about the dress code on a particular ship. It's like two restaurants. One serves seafood and the other one steak . Do you go into the restaurant that only serves steak and start complaining about the lack of seafood simply because it's what you want. Just go next door and get your seafood. :D No one is making you go either place.

I actually find it pretty funny that people mention "clean" shorts. Seriously, shouldn't that be just assumed that you are wearing clean clothes??? Shorts are shorts (dirty or clean), and not acceptable anywhere at dinnertime except the buffet or room service.

Or is it OK for my husband to wear a dirty tux to dinner? :rolleyes:

I was heartbroken to see people at my mother-in-law's funeral wearing jeans and work shirts, so disrespectful, but SHORTS?????

I dont go to church and look and judge what other people are wearing.. I dont feel God cares what I wear as long as my heart is in the right place.. I dont find it disrespectful at all.. Ive actually told my family when I pass not to burry me ina suite.. Burry me in clothes i wear a pair of shorts a my favorite t shirt..

Oh, there is a dress code in the specialty restaurants, and you won't be admitted in shorts and shirt no matter what evening. And once you see the specialty restaurants, you'll understand the ambience factor. Even though they say it's elegant casual in the specialty restaurants, you'll find a vast majority of patrons will still dress up in dress slacks, dress shirt and jacket. And, shorts are never allowed in the main dining room at night, even on the elegant casual nights. I have personally seen men refused admittance to the MDR at night while wearing shorts. Seriously, there are lines where you can wear clean, or dirty shorts 24/7, but Celebrity isn't one of them. It makes no difference if your shorts are clean, it's still in poor taste in the MDR at night.

Why is it poor taste? What would it matter to you or anyone what other people wear? And what I mean with "clean" shorts is a pair of kahkis without holes and tears.. Is your meal gonna taste bad because Im wearing a nice clean outfit that includes kahkis shorts and golf type t shirt? Just my personnel taste dont wanna offended anybody.. Geez Clebrity cruisers take things so personnel it was just a simple question

I can assure you that if you tried to enter the MDR on formal night in a collared T-shirt and a pair of khaki shorts, you would be turned away. Enjoy your NCL cruise, as we will enjoy our Celebrity cruise. Different strokes for different folks, your "simple question" has been answered, and it's time to move on, isn't it?

Why is it poor taste? What would it matter to you or anyone what other people wear? And what I mean with "clean" shorts is a pair of kahkis without holes and tears.. Is your meal gonna taste bad because Im wearing a nice clean outfit that includes kahkis shorts and golf type t shirt? Just my personnel taste dont wanna offended anybody.. Geez Clebrity cruisers take things so personnel it was just a simple question

I think you're the one taking this personally. It's in poor taste because it is not in compliance with the line's dress code, not because some cruiser here arbitrarily decided it is.

I could sit here and whine about how it's not fair that I can't wear my nice clean dry bikini and sarong to the dining room and it shouldn't matter to anyone else what I'm wearing, but that isn't going to fly either.

Just back from the Millennium (Friday). Here is what I observed in the MDR on formal night. I'm not saying right or wrong - just what I observed. Most men were in a dark suit or gray or khaki pants, collared shirt, jacket. Saw only 1 person in a tux on my side of the dining room. Women varied somewhat. Saw two ladies in long dresses. Most women were in pants and dressy top. There were men in the dining room on formal night without a jacket. Saw a couple of men in jeans. No one was turned away and no one was offered a jacket that I could see and I sat toward the front of the dining room so I could see people as they walked in. This was an Alaskan cruise.

What is the current dress code for the MDR ? Im a simple guy and dressing up for dinner on vacation is not gonna happen.. I plan on wearing a collared shirt and khakis.. Is this a problem for anyone?

It would not bother me in the least if that is what you choose to wear, but as you can see from most of the posts, you have certainly caused "The Clothes Police" to get their knickers in a knot!;)

I was wondering the same thing, sradogna, why did the OP post this in every major cruise line thread - and seriously, the sam exact post and response in each thread? Not sure what the poster is looking for.

Cruise lines have dress codes - for the pool areas, for the buffets, for the MDR, for the lounges, etc. While we may not pay as close attention to the ones for the buffets or the pool areas, we all sure as heck focus mighty tightly on to the dress codes for dinner in the main dining room.

So there's a dress code. If you don't want to follow it, don't go. It is made very clear on their websites and in their advertising that there is a dress code - you don't see anyone in the commercials or ads at the dinner table in shorts and T-shirt!

If you don't like it, don't book it. If you do book it and still don't like it, don't eat in the MDR on the nights you don't like the dress code. We are not 3 year olds, we have a choice on where we eat and how we dress. If you don't want to follow the guidelines, don't ruin it for those who do; eat in the less formal restuarants - heck, the dining spot up at the buffet on Celebrity which is set each night as a restaurant with waiter service is even called "Casual dining option"! Same menu as MDR - casual dining option!!!

In short, what's the point of posting this everywhere - to get folks riled up? If you don't want to dress, you don't have to. You also don't have to dine in the MDR. Simple as that.

I haven't been on Celebrity in quite a while but do they now offer the exact same menu at the buffet on formal nights? I know in the past it was similar but there were many items missing.

I realize that not all parts of the country are the in their customs but in Florida it's not uncommon to see at least 75% of the people in shorts (dress shorts)- even yesterday morning. On other days even jean shorts are quite common.

I have been on Carnival cruises twice - and I remember that they don't want to see someone wearing shorts to dinner in the main dining room. You can find that in their . Unfortunately I remember I saw one person. In a dining room with table cloth = trousers and Polo Shirts (collared) at least. My husband doesn't have a tux and we won't rent one because he needs tailormade clothes and will therefore take his dark suit with dress shirt and tie.

But the buffet is a alternative or room service, if you don't want to dress up.

Here is what Carnival says:

Most evenings we have a Cruise Casual dress code, but there are those Cruise Elegant evenings one or two nights throughout your “Fun Ship” voyage, where you will have the opportunity to showcase your more elegant attire. For those who want casual attire for dinner time, the Lido Restaurant is open nightly, and has a more relaxed theme. However, shirts and shoes/footwear (flip-flops) must be worn at all times inside the Lido Restaurant.

Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Sorry, if this is off-topic - but Carnival is not that leger.

Maybe you missed the posts where we discussed the dining option at the buffet area that isn't offered any more. It was called "Alternative Casual Dining" and it did not offer the same menu as the main dining room, but a limited menu of choices, served by waiters, in one section of the buffet. It has been discontinued. The buffet on Celebrity does not serve the same options as what is being offered in the MDR, but a limited selection of pizza, pasta, stir fry and a few other choices. So, to answer your question, no, they do not offer the same thing at the buffet as they do in the dining room.

Maybe you missed the posts where we discussed the dining option at the buffet area that isn't offered any more. It was called "Alternative Casual Dining" and it did not offer the same menu as the main dining room, but a limited menu of choices, served by waiters, in one section of the buffet. It has been discontinued. The buffet on Celebrity does not serve the same options as what is being offered in the MDR, but a limited selection of pizza, pasta, stir fry and a few other choices. So, to answer your question, no, they do not offer the same thing at the buffet as they do in the dining room.

That's pretty much what I remember from a few years ago. If they really did want to keep the dining room truly formal they should have the same dishes offered there as well.

A few years since I was on NCL, enjoyed it too. Even then I remember seeing people in jeans and shorts being asked to change for the MDR.

Even freestyle has a dress code, and appeared to enforce them. I still enjoy the formal nights and can appreciate that some may not or have become tired of them. The ships are big enough to cater for the changing tastes of customers. If you don't like formals then vote with your feet.

It would not bother me in the least if that is what you choose to wear, but as you can see from most of the posts, you have certainly caused "The Clothes Police" to get their knickers in a knot!;)

I believe people are trying to answer the question not being clothes police as you call it. I hate it when someone gets accused of this crap for trying to answer a posters question..Usually its those who contribute nothing but criticism to the conversation.

Thanks Don, it reminds me of people who ask what the internet rates are, then someone answers and all of a sudden it's "why that's highway robbery" as if the person who answered the question set the rates. If someone asks, "what's the rule on x,y or z" and they get an answer, that hardly makes the person who answered the question the "police" of any sort.

That's pretty much what I remember from a few years ago. If they really did want to keep the dining room truly formal they should have the same dishes offered there as well.

On our last cruise on the Connie they had replaced the sit down table service casual dining in the buffet area with more options at the different stations (expanded sushi and stir fry) as well as a new "grill" station in the evening. We never did make it to the grill station. I heard from some who had a great meal from there and others who did not like it. But there is an alternative that offers some more traditional entrees as opposed to just the pizza, pasta, salad bar and Sushi stations.

Plus most of the ships, and soon all except the Century, have another specialty restuarant and the Bistro on 5. The specialty restuarants allow smart casual every night, although some still dress up there on formal nights, and the Bistro on 5 is definitely casual and while the menu is limited there the food is very good.

Plus most of the ships, and soon all except the Century, have another specialty restuarant and the Bistro on 5. The specialty restuarants allow smart casual every night, although some still dress up there on formal nights, and the Bistro on 5 is definitely casual and while the menu is limited there the food is very good.

Bistro on 5 is a great choice for men that want to show their calves at dinner.

//Strictly MHO

Thank you, Celebrity, Royal and even Carnival for your dress codes. Here in Austin, I often have to dine next to people in shorts even at what counts as fancy French restaurants. It's nice not to sit next to grown men dressed like little kids at dinner time in the MDR on Celebrity. (I said it!)

The Oceanview Cafe buffet requests (but doesn't appear to enforce on the Equinox) no swimsuits at anytime. No one here objects to that. Why is it so hard for men to put on trousers at dinner time on an air-conditioned vessel?

Archived