Grand Princess: reviews on cruise critic not good

kruzin'

:mad: We have a cruise booked for Dec and I have been readlng the posts for the Grand on this website and most are NOT good. They were posts from a T/A or European cruise right after drydock. They range from ..food...brown water in the bathroom..dirty ship overall..crews attitude...I realize every1 will not be happy however, I have never read so many bad reviews and am concerned that I should maybe rebook on the Ruby...All thoughts and or experiences will be appreciated...

:mad: We have a cruise booked for Dec and I have been readlng the posts for the Grand on this website and most are NOT good. They were posts from a T/A or European cruise right after drydock. They range from ..food...brown water in the bathroom..dirty ship overall..crews attitude...I realize every1 will not be happy however' date=' I have never read so many bad reviews and am concerned that I should maybe rebook on the Ruby...All thoughts and or experiences will be appreciated...[/quote']

It seems (from reading reports) that many CC members were onboard the Grand for that first cruise out of drydock. From what I have read, it also seems that the ship was not totally ready to take a full passenger load as there was still much work to be completed. But by December (in fact, probably even on the current sailings), I doubt you will read so much negativity as they have had time now to complete the process and fix all those little things that gave problems to those on the first, after drydock, sailing. I wouldn't worry too much about this, I am sure your cruise will be great!

It seems (from reading reports) that many CC members were onboard the Grand for that first cruise out of drydock. From what I have read, it also seems that the ship was not totally ready to take a full passenger load as there was still much work to be completed. But by December (in fact, probably even on the current sailings), I doubt you will read so much negativity as they have had time now to complete the process and fix all those little things that gave problems to those on the first, after drydock, sailing. I wouldn't worry too much about this, I am sure your cruise will be great!

Agree... Rule of thumb is to never book the last cruise before or the first cruise after dry dock...

We were on the last cruise of the Fair Princess and it was being sold to Regency at the time. They were ripping out fixtures, signs & some built-in desks in order to have it ready to turn over immediately after our cruise. I'm sure the Grand didn't have the same things going on but why chance any construction during your trip. Going on the first shakedown cruise also is asking for problems but Dec should be fine.

:mad: We have a cruise booked for Dec and I have been readlng the posts for the Grand on this website and most are NOT good. They were posts from a T/A or European cruise right after drydock. They range from ..food...brown water in the bathroom..dirty ship overall..crews attitude...I realize every1 will not be happy however' date=' I have never read so many bad reviews and am concerned that I should maybe rebook on the Ruby...All thoughts and or experiences will be appreciated...[/quote']

We were just off the Grand last week. Any problems thay have had we saw no evidence of. The new piazza is lovely. We are off again in September so we must like the ship. Considering that 80% ( source unofficial) took the auto tips off the staff were as good as ever.

So don't worry too much and enjoy.

Agree... Rule of thumb is to never book the last cruise before or the first cruise after dry dock...
I am wondering if the same logic would apply to inauguration cruises. I am planning to book the new Royal Princess as soon as an itinerary is announced.

I am wondering if the same logic would apply to inauguration cruises. I am planning to book the new Royal Princess as soon as an itinerary is announced.

There may be some justification for calling the first sailing a shakedown cruise. I would not be interested in the first voyage of a new ship, personally.

The only bad reviews are ones of the first cruise after the dry dock from Fort Lauderdale.

Your post seems a bit biased, as surely you would have read all of the fantastic reviews recently posted about how nice the ship is looking and all of the good feedback.

As stated people will spend time to post a review of a bad holiday rather than post a review of an excellent holiday, as that is what is expected of princess.

:)

I was originally booked on the Ruby Princess for December 4th, and found out that she will be going into dry dock immediately after that cruise (Dec 11th to Dec 23rd). I switched to the Grand sailing Dec 3rd, and have no doubts that they will have the issues worked out well in advance of that time. Looking at the reviews, it looked to me like all/almost all of the negative reviews were for the transatlantic (first cruise after dry dock), and it was because they didn't allow enough time to get everything finished/cleaned up in dry dock.

If you are considering the Ruby for December, you are likely to be getting it on the last cruise before dry dock (Dec 4th) or the first cruise after (Dec 23rd). I think you'd be better off on the Grand.

Inagural cruises 'can' run into some of the same problems as those directly after a drydock. Let's just say we have never even considered an Inagural voyage. Many like the prestige of being the first to sail on a new ship, but for us, we wait a few months until all the 'bugs' are worked out of the ship. ;)

We booked an inaugural cruise, but didn't realize it was the inaugural until later. Star Princess inaugural in 2002. But it was not her first sailing...She had sailed from Italy to Singapore, and the crew had all that time to get everything finished, and practice their service on each other. We had no problems at all. EM

We were on the 04th June Canary Island cruise and loved it. We have been on the Grand a few times and thnk the changes are great. Would go again tomorrow if I could. We did not have one complaint about anything except when they made us disembark. Sure you will have a great cruise.

Princess has assured me that the major problems have been fixed. I wasn't sure they were drydock issues or before(and not fixed during drydock).

By the way people with major problems on that cruise have been taken care of by Princess in a very nice way.

We were on the Transatlantic cruise.

We are returning for 49 day South America in 2013 as well as others from TA

cruise. Funny, as I left the ship in May, I was swearing I would never set foot on her again.Minds do change. By the way crew changes as well. So if someone experienced bad service, chances are the crew will change. Same on all ships.

We booked an inaugural cruise, but didn't realize it was the inaugural until later. Star Princess inaugural in 2002. But it was not her first sailing...She had sailed from Italy to Singapore, and the crew had all that time to get everything finished, and practice their service on each other. We had no problems at all. EM

We also ended up on an inaugural cruise on the Sea Princess. The delivery of the ship was delayed so instead of being on her 4th cruise we ended up on her first. It was also our first ever cruise, which I'm sure had a lot to do with us getting hooked on cruising. Everything was brand spanking new and the only negative thing I could possibly think of, was that it smelled new (chemicals from carpets and building materials and so on) but it was not overwhelming. The only thing I had to call down to the pursers desk about was they had forgotten to put a small piece of plumbing on our shower, rendering it useless. That was fixed in a jiff and we were set to go. I'd go on an inaugural again in a heartbeat.

Where did you hear this? We talked to lots of people on the cruise (we were on it) and I never heard anyone say they took off the tips..and we were certainly in the pursers desk line a lot! The problem wasn't with the crew serving us, it was with the ship itself...why would we punish those who had to work double hard to keep things running and clean? 80% is an really big number, unofficial or official.

Considering that 80% ( source unofficial) took the auto tips off the staff were as good as ever.

Where did you hear this? We talked to lots of people on the cruise (we were on it) and I never heard anyone say they took off the tips..and we were certainly in the pursers desk line a lot! The problem wasn't with the crew serving us, it was with the ship itself...why would we punish those who had to work double hard to keep things running and clean? 80% is an really big number, unofficial or official.

I didn't think you were on the Canary Island cruise, I thought you were on the TA?? I was on it with Maiseric and agree that the ship and staff were excellent. It is true that a very high proportion of people took off the autotips. Why?? because it was mainly Brits on the cruise and Brits don't like autoptip. Some took it off just because they could and probably didnt even give anyone anything at the end of the 11 days. Even at the shows a couple of the performers asked the audience if they had taken the tips off and certainly there was a very loud and resounding 'yes'.

Kruzin: as others have said the latest bad reviews have come from people who were on the TA or the Iberian cruise immediately after it. I was on cruise 3&4 (Norway and Canaries) after the dry dock and issues etc that were mentioned have all been resolved. Go ahead and book, you will have a great time.

Two possible problems with an inaugural cruise:

a) Ship is not ready in time, so the inaugural cruise is later than you booked.

b) Ship is ready earlier than expected, so you need to be able to take that trip earlier.

We were on the inaugural cruise of the Grand in l998 out of Istanbul. When we booked it, it was suppose to be the 3rd cruise. The ship was delivered late to Princess, so we ended up on the 1st cruise. They were still laying carpet in some areas and the decor in the MDR was very simple, I suspect it too was not finished. Service was mixed aboard. The cruise line had a press party in the disco the day we left Istanbul, which we crashed accidently while exploring the ship. It was over the top compared to the welcome aboard party that was held the following day for passengers around the pool area. That was our first and last inaugural cruise. We too want to book the new Royal Princess but will wait til it is in service 6 months.

We were just off the Grand last week. Any problems thay have had we saw no evidence of. The new piazza is lovely. We are off again in September so we must like the ship. Considering that 80% ( source unofficial) took the auto tips off the staff were as good as ever.

Wow. I wish TAs would explain to their clients about why there's tipping and why it's important to leave on the autotips.

I misunderstood what you said..I thought you meant the first cruise out, people took off their tips because of the problems the ship was having, since I thought that was what the OP was talking about. How did you find out that 80% of the people took off their tips on the ship you were on?Why would a performer ask if people took off the tips and give others the idea to do the same? And it sounds like you are saying they took them off for other reasons, than that the ship had problems. That this group of people don't like to tip didn't really have anything to do with (IMO) what the OP is talking about.

I didn't think you were on the Canary Island cruise, I thought you were on the TA?? I was on it with Maiseric and agree that the ship and staff were excellent. It is true that a very high proportion of people took off the autotips. Why?? because it was mainly Brits on the cruise and Brits don't like autoptip. Some took it off just because they could and probably didnt even give anyone anything at the end of the 11 days. Even at the shows a couple of the performers asked the audience if they had taken the tips off and certainly there was a very loud and resounding 'yes'.

Kruzin: as others have said the latest bad reviews have come from people who were on the TA or the Iberian cruise immediately after it. I was on cruise 3&4 (Norway and Canaries) after the dry dock and issues etc that were mentioned have all been resolved. Go ahead and book, you will have a great time.

Archived