The Almost Complete Food Lovers Guide to the Oasis of the Seas

BrianAlt

My question is kind of opposite from everybody elses. I'm traveling solo which restaurants should I avoid. I'm going to pass on the Chef's table and chops and I've got Giovanni's for lunch. Will Goivanni's be too much food?

Chef's Table would be a nice way to meet people, but no problem if it's not for you.

Giovanni's will not be too much food, unless you keep ordering and ordering, of course.

I don't think you should go out of your way to avoid any place, but as a solo cruiser, I would think the MDR would be the best place. That's assuming you want to meet people. Maybe hook up with some of the Roll Call members and dine with them at some of the specialty restaurants?

Brian -- I've been a member of this forum since september or october 2009 and have enjoyed very, very much two threads in particular. Yours is the first one.

Yes, it did provide answers to my questions.

I have finally decided that we would go to Chops for the first formal night, which would appeal much more to my wife, and Giovanni's on another night (not the second formal though, we'll probably do the MDR). Solarium Bistro will also be part of a few other venues to try, probably for lunch.

And of course, the Carousel will be a MUST for both of us. :D

I don't know what you do for a living, but you certainly could have been a great writer.

Thank you for the helpful information.

Best salutations,

Hugh

Brian - I have a question about the 150 Central Park. We are not big wine drinkers, but I want to experience 150 Central Park as one of my dining venues. Do you have to order the wine pkg? Can I order a different drink choice?

The wine package is NOT required. You can order anything at all to drink.

Just want to second what everyone has said - I have really enjoyed your reviews. I also want to say that I appreciate how even-handed you have been. (Most) everyone understands that things can't be perfect all the time. But you've done a great job of detailing what you loved, and why, and offering suggestions/alternatives for what you didn't enjoy as much.

Those are pretty rare occurrences, so thank you for that!

I want to thank everyone for their kind words. It's appreciated more than you'll ever know.

I'd like to answer the other questions, but it seems like the boards are having some kind of problem (or I am). I'll answer those as soon as this stabilizes.

I want to thank everyone for their kind words. It's appreciated more than you'll ever know.

I'd like to answer the other questions, but it seems like the boards are having some kind of problem (or I am). I'll answer those as soon as this stabilizes.

I don't think it is you. And thanks again.

Brian -- I've been a member of this forum since september or october 2009 and have enjoyed very, very much two threads in particular. Yours is the first one.

That's very nice of you to say.

I have finally decided that we would go to Chops for the first formal night, which would appeal much more to my wife, and Giovanni's on another night (not the second formal though, we'll probably do the MDR). Solarium Bistro will also be part of a few other venues to try, probably for lunch.

And of course, the Carousel will be a MUST for both of us. :D

Based on what you described to me, I think you made the right choice.

I don't know what you do for a living, but you certainly could have been a great writer.

I agree with High2011...BrianAlt should be a professional writer if he is not already! Thanks for the enjoyable and informative read!

I'm an IT Director. :eek: Isn't that like the opposite of writer?

1. Any thoughts or info on Giovanni's for lunch instead of dinner?

I always worry about going to lunch at a place like this because I'll probably eat too much and then do it again at dinner. But I'm sure it's wonderful for lunch.

2. Which cut of beef at Chops do you think is the best choice?

Pritesh was high on the Filet Mignon. I like something a little more favorful (fatty), so I went with the Rib Eye which Pritesh preferred over the Veal Chop. But I heard the Veal Chop was wonderful also. You probably can't go wrong.

3. A RCCL rep on the phone told me gratuity was included in the specialty restaurant surcharge. Was he mistaken?

Thanks again!

No, he was correct. I always tip extra when I like the service.

Part 12: Final Thoughts and Conclusions

If you are a foodie (or an aspiring foodie), I have to doubt you want to go to only one venue, but I’ll answer this question anyway. I think you have two choices. You must either go to 150 Central Park or to Chef’s Table. Which do I recommend? Chef’s Table. Chef’s Table is an experience unlike any other on the ship. It is intimate. It is personal. It is beautiful. You learn about the Chef’s thought process. The service is perfect. You are pampered from start to end. Not saying there is anything wrong with 150 Central Park, but if I have to pick one of those two, go with Chef’s Table.

Now to finish it all off with some quick hit DOs.

DO get a cupcake at the Cupcake Cupboard. Sure it’s $2.50, but you're on vacation, splurge for a snack.

DO go to the Park Café and often. The food is good and even if it’s crowded it moves quickly. Especially recommended for breakfast.

DO go to Johnny Rockets for breakfast. Hey, no extra charge and you get entertained at the same time.

DO go to the Café Promenade. We would stop here every night for a couple glasses of water and bring them back to the room. Sometimes we grabbed a cookie or two. (Shhh, don’t tell anyone!)

DO pick up a snack at the Wipe Out Café. I didn’t and I regret it. :(

DO have lunch at the Solarium Bistro. Just dry off and walk in. Just like Windjammer, except MUCH less crowded.

DO stop in at Vintages, even if it’s for a glass of wine. Although you’ll probably be tempted to order at least one dish.

And last, but certainly not least…

DO have a wonderful cruise and do what you enjoy. That’s what cruising is all about.

Brian, thank you again for your wonderful review! It was such a pleasure to read, you even had my 17 year old son salavating;)

I am happy you feel that Chef's Table was the one to pick, I have read a few reviews that have not felt that way. I was up for either or both Chef's Table and 150 Central Park, but hubby and I just are not crazy about the menu for 150, but I am hoping they change it up either before November or for Allure next year. But for now I am sure we will be thrilled with Chef's Table. Oh and thank you for posting the email address (in another thread) for requesting Chef's Table....they were extremely prompt!

I will definitely DO all your DO's!! They sound fabulous! My sailing is still over 100 days away but I am so excited and you have help to keep that excitement alive! Thank you again!!

Brian,

Like the others have stated THANK YOU, THANK YOU for your unbiased view of the dining venues and food that are available on Oasis. You have made us all hungry no matter what time of the day or night we were reading your review!!! :p

Jean

Very excited to notice that my 12 year old can accompany us to Giovanni's Table for dinner so I now have reserved my entertainment and specialty restaurants for the entire cruise. I feel very accomplished and relieved to be able to do this so soon for our Thanksgiving cruise. Thanks again BrianAlt!

Thank you, Brian for your gift to all of us. A gift is even more meaningful when so much time and effort have been sacrificed.:)

I hope you don't feel like you have to "babysit" this thread because of all the questions we now have! But I'm hoping you won't mind one about Maya Chan. Are there telltale signs/devastation of the hurricane(s) that had occurred a few years back? Also, is their beach naturally occurring? I've been to a couple of resorts that have added sand to a bay area & when you step into the water, the bottom is slimy. The pictures on their web site made me wonder. But maybe the beach looks that way because of the hurricanes? Many, many thanks!

He gave us two glasses and poured approximately half into each glass. (I would say it was slightly heavy handed.) It was plenty! Six glasses each would have been too much. Plus, don't forget the martini!

Do you know if we could just stop in and get the cucumber martini without eating here?

Are there telltale signs/devastation of the hurricane(s) that had occurred a few years back? Also, is their beach naturally occurring? I've been to a couple of resorts that have added sand to a bay area & when you step into the water, the bottom is slimy. The pictures on their web site made me wonder. But maybe the beach looks that way because of the hurricanes? Many, many thanks!

The beach is not slimy and does seem naturally recurring. The beach is a very shallow beach, meaning there is not a lot of beach area. I can't say that they haven't added some sand, I wouldn't be surprised if they did at some point. There is also a lot of turtle grass that accumulates and is cleared daily, but pieces of it speckle the sand. We also went to a point a mile down from the resort that wasn't developed. You can see how clean and natural the sand is.

53c7d809.jpg

The mangroves are still significantly damaged from the hurricane, but there is visible improvement. You can see the dead mangroves and the new growth that's coming in in this picture:

d0cd8ae3.jpg