My Sincerest Apologies

Folgy

Folgy, we were married 15 years before our child. Before that we had 2 wonderful dogs. I have their picture in a frame with the statement in fancy lettering...." Dogs are children in Fur coats."

We now have 1 dog and 1 child and they are equally precious to us.

Sorry for you loss.

Dear Folgy,

Please accept my sincerest condolences on the loss of your beloved Tommy. My son is 15, so I never took any offense to your posts -- as a matter of fact, I always looked forward to your humor and insights, not necessarily about children, but about cruising! Your posts have been very helpful to me, and I thank you.

I'm also "mama" to 3 cats: Whiskers, Rascal, and Milo -- all rescued or pound kitties that I love dearly. I grew up in an apartment where we could not have any pets, so I discovered the love of cats and dogs when I got married and was in my 30's. Now I can't imagine my life without my cats -- my son refers to them as my "servants" because they follow me everywhere.

Please take comfort that you gave Tommy a wonderful, loving life and he did the same for you -- unconditionally. Take care.

Laurie

Folgy,

We are faceing a tought decsion also. Fluffy is 15+, long hair white (and it is everywhere !). She has a bad food allergy. Blood test's, cultures run, shots, and on Prednazone (sp). We have to keep a cone around her head to not allow her to rub and wash her eyes as she will do it till they bleed. Her quality of life I can only guess at, ``it makes me wish I could speak Cat !

Our thought's are with you, as I do not want to 'have' to make this decesion.

EW

Folgy & EW,

As many of you know I lost my bestfriend 'Rusty' the Jack Russell Terrier in December. It certainly was one of the hardest things we've ever done so I feel for you. Personally, Rusty brought such joy to my life offering his unconditional love and dedication.

We will never ever be able to replace our beloved boy and we know it.

However we do miss the companionship and love they give so as of a few weeks ago we have a 4 month old Shi-poo and a 6 year old Yellow Lab.

Needless to say our house is again alive and busy!

We miss and talk about Rusty often. My thoughts are with you during this difficult time.

Here is a picture of Rusty. May he always rest in peace.

312612116_Rustyhavinganap.jpg.65cb25b29fa7246982184f31903e1b24.jpg

I have read numerous replies of condolences from childless couples. I am a parent of 2 teenage children. I feel your pain probably just as much as the couples that do not have children. When you are an animal lover, you love your animals completely and whole heartedly even when you have your own children. We have had to put to sleep several of our four legged children in our 22 years of marriage. My husbands cat (13 years old) had kidney failure and after 2 weeks and almost $2,000 of medical treatment, that I would put out again in a heart beat to have him back, he could not be saved. We put fatcat (Booties) to sleep on Christmas Eve 2003. I have never seen my husband cry except the day my grandfather died. My husband and myself were both devestated. That cat ruled the house. If he decided he wanted your seat you got up and gave it to him. I still to this day look for him in my driveway when I come home. I still have his picture and a paw print the vet gave us next to my desk at home. It truly is a pain that hurts deep and cuts to the soul on some days. Hold onto your memories and be thankful you had an animal that loved you as much as you and your wife loved him.

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I am a mother and nothing is like a child of your own, but I have also lost pets and it, too, is a deep connection "like children". I have a dog now, that I would grieve over if something happened to her. True, it isn't the same as ones own child, but I would risk my life to save hers because I love her so much. I feel for Folgy's loss. I've been there twice before.

This is for Folgy and everyone else who has lost a loved pet. I truly believe that we will see our loved pets again. When it is our turn to cross over to the other side, they will be there waiting to greet us.

Very sorry to hear of you loss Folgy, we also lost a furry family member two months ago. Our pound puppy Trixie was 14, was a diabetic that we gave daily insulin shots to and was prone to ear infections for which we gave her Prednesone also daily. She died in her sleep from what I think was a stroke. It was like losing a family member and I still think I hear her at times. My sincerest condolences.

Stretch

I am so sorry for your loss, Folgy. I am sitting here with tears in my eyes, because I know what you are going through. We have two "regular" children, but lost our furry child a few years ago. Ching was my beloved Siamese cat. He bit the dickens out of everyone else, but he adored me, and the feeling was more than mutual. In October, my husband surprised me with a new Siamese kitten. He will, of course, never take Ching's place, but I love the daylights out of him, and once again, I'm lucky to be his favored one. He is recuperating today from being neutered and declawed (We weren't going to do that, but he was really getting aggressive to everyone else in the family).

Even after he has chewed up all of my husband's good ties and given him a good bite almost daily, my husband still dotes on our little KiKi. DH even visited the little guy in the animal hospital twice while he was there (and he was only there for 36 hours).

We leave Friday for L.A. and our Spring break cruise on the Vision. My in-laws are actually flying in from Florida to babysit our furry baby, because none of us could stand the thought of him being in a kennel.

Again, I'm really sorry for your loss. I'm sure your Tommy had a more than wonderful life with you. I agree with the other posters that, once you've recovered a bit, you might consider giving another kitty a home.

We leave Friday for L.A. and our Spring break cruise on the Vision. My in-laws are actually flying in from Florida to babysit our furry baby, because none of us could stand the thought of him being in a kennel

Wow!! What nice in-laws!! Actually my SIL has jokingly said she would happily fly down from upstate Wisconsin to baby sit my two little whiskered girls here in Florida. She said "Winter only" ...imagine that! ;)

But actually I would also have had trouble leaving my girls on trips also, but I have a wonderful and loving professional cat sitter who has been with me for 10 years, and also grieved at the loss of my two sweet girl cats last year. She loves my new girls now, and they love her back. It is a great reassurance to know that I can leave them in the comfort of their own home and have someone that will come in once a day that is a cat lover herself. And of course another reason I always have two cats, to keep each other company when "Momma" is away!

Cheers!

I remember a German Shepard we got when I was pregnant with my son who's now in his 30's. I loved him so much, I felt bad about leaving him when I went to the hospital to give birth to my son. Must have been those hormones.

He was a constant companion to my son when he was growing up. When he died, I saw him everywhere out of the corner of my eye. It was driving me crazy! Then one night I had a dream -- you know the ones that are SO REAL. He was lying on top of me so I couldn't move. He SMELLED like he had just had a bath, and he was young again. Almost a puppy. I didn't see him again. I felt like he was there to tell me he was OK, not to worry.

After that I have had several dogs and a cat. However, when my last dog died I was very broken up about it. Again, there was that German Shephard in my dream with my dog - like he was taking care of him, until we were all together. Tell you the truth, my DH doesn't know this, nor does anyone else. Strange, but it gives me comfort.

I know how attached you become to your pets. I have a 9 year old black lab/chow,boxer mix named Abbie. When we cruise or go on vacation, we fly my Mom home from California to Michigan to stay with our baby. No way will I kennel her again. Did it once, and won't do it again. I can't imagine coming home one day and her not bringing me one of her bones, or a dirty sock or underwear. She always brings me something......even if I walk out to the mailbox. Unconditional love. That says it all.

Folgy & EW,

As many of you know I lost my bestfriend 'Rusty' the Jack Russell Terrier in December. It certainly was one of the hardest things we've ever done so I feel for you. Personally, Rusty brought such joy to my life offering his unconditional love and dedication.

We will never ever be able to replace our beloved boy and we know it.

However we do miss the companionship and love they give so as of a few weeks ago we have a 4 month old Shi-poo and a 6 year old Yellow Lab.

Needless to say our house is again alive and busy!

We miss and talk about Rusty often. My thoughts are with you during this difficult time.

Here is a picture of Rusty. May he always rest in peace.

Awww.....he's so cute!!...I love the Jack Russell Terriers.... :)

Folgy,

I don't post much, but I wanted you to know how sorry I am for your loss. I've had dogs all my life and have felt the loss you are feeling. Our Charlie is now 13 and I treasure each day with him.

You and your wife are in my thoughts and prayers.

Folgy - I lost my wonderful pug to bone cancer 2 years ago. He was my "child" before the husband so he had to marry me and "marry" a snorting, shedding four legged boy too! You have my sympathy - our pets are our 4 legged children too. Your pain will slowly ease to be replaced by happy memories of the joy and unconditional love your kitty brought you.

We have two dogs now that our our children and the loss will be as devastating as before when it is their time. But I have learned that I would not give up the pain of the loss for one moment of the love I have received from our critters.

You'll be ok.But it's ok to hurt for the loss - don't let anyone minimize that for you.

EW - you will know. I had several options with Igor and I stayed up with him his last night knowing I had to do what was best for him, not me. So very sorry you have to go through this. Fluffy will find a way to tell you, I really believe that.

Rusty - I hadn't heard, so very sorry. Glad you have new puppies to love - I think Wolfgang (yes - the one the only) and Gidget the Bee Atch really kept me going while I mourned for Igor. glad you have someone to lick you on the face.....(insert your own joke here)

Tommy crawled into one to investigate and I snapped his picture. It's so funny because he looks so sad, and yet he was having a blast!! When I saw the picture I told my husband I would post it on CC and tell people this is how we keep our kids in line while cruising!! :D I hope this gives you a smile Folgy!

That is a GREAT picture/very funny story Desertbelle. Thanks for sharing :D :D

###

Folgy, I am very sorry for your lost. We have had many pets over the years and some where more special than others and when they died it was extremely painful for us. Remember, every day it will become a little easier.

I have been blessed to have 4 healthy children and 3 healthly grandchildren.....and yep, we take them on vacations with us. :)

On our last cruise in November, our grandson Tommy was the hit of the cruise. It seemed the whole ship loved him. On the last day of the cruise Grandpa was keeping him busy while his parents were packing up their luggage. In the hallway was one of those cages that the stewards use to cart the luggage around on the ship. Tommy crawled into one to investigate and I snapped his picture. It's so funny because he looks so sad, and yet he was having a blast!! When I saw the picture I told my husband I would post it on CC and tell people this is how we keep our kids in line while cruising!! :D I hope this gives you a smile Folgy!

tommyinjail.jpg

Desertbelle,

That looks like me when I was a kid. (I'm not kidding) I was an only child and was a real dicken's. That did bring a smile to my face.

My wife wanted to go to the SPCA today to look at animals. I just was not ready . I told Lyann to forget office work today and she kept me company all day today. Lyann just did not want to be all alone in this big empty house. I did not want to be alone on the road.

There are many, many wonderful understanding people on these boards. All of you have taught me so much.

Collette,

I did read that part of his post. I also read this post from a month ago before posting on the subject.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=3037392#post3037392

That's what is great about the human race....we can sometimes realize we have made mistakes in our lives and we can do the best we can to change. I am very proud of Folgy and I'm sure it took a lot of courage to make an apology. I used to think he was hard on the kiddo's myself but I have seen a change in him that has really touched me.:)

Awwwww, Thankyou so much Barb and Pheonix.

I am past that now. I have said some undiplomatic statements in the past concerning children. All I can do now is change my thinking . I truly believe that there is going to be good come from this experience.

Lyann and I cannot conceive children. I am 50 now. I have reconciled with the fact. I am looking forward to much love and warmth from another fur baby.

(when the time is right)

Archived