Can you really carry food from International Cafe around ship?

flashdog_1

How many people do you see in the Horizon return their dirty plates to the clean up area like the crew do in the evenings after finishing? ......very few.

As I said, the crew onboard Princess are very good about clearing the dirty plates for the next guest to sit. Princess and Hal does this the best!

I am so glad that I looked at this thread! We are booked on Grand 1/28/12 and they have added an IC in the drydock. I did not know what it was so it was very informative to read all the postings. Especially the one about no cost. LOL.

We are so looking forward to this trip as my dear friend of 46 yrs has never been on a cruise before. She begged me to drop hubby like a hot potato and go with her as she is single. Going to be fun, just us girls.

In June, I was amazed to see large plates of food from IC toted round the ship, passengers walking and eating, food smeared on their faces, dropping scraps on the carpet.

But what truly grossed me out were slobs getting on elevators with IC plates mounded with pastries, shrimp and chicken salad, chewing noisily, nauseating others held captive on a packed elevator. Were these slobs so desparate to eat everything in sight that they had to chow down in the elevator before tearing into Horizon buffett?

Funny story: several times I boarded an elevator only to see disgusting plates with half eaten food left on the elevator floor. There for all of us to admire. Like dog droppings.

Now that's what I call classy behavior!

I have never witnessed behavior as stated. Maybe I have imagined, from the words you've used, something more graphic than the reality.

As I said, the crew onboard Princess are very good about clearing the dirty plates for the next guest to sit. Princess and Hal does this the best!

I don't think they're being gracious to pax, they are simply

required to bus their own plates. Getting caught not doing

things like that can cause them to lose their laminex for

a while (and thus be stuck on the ship without shore leave).

There are all sorts of rules for staff that eat in the lido.

Often in the evening, they can't go until after 20h00 or

20h30; sometimes, particularly during holiday cruises,

they can't go at all. Depending on the department,

only so many can sit together, etc.

When I eat alone in the lido (particularly at night) I bus

my own plates. It just seems like a nice thing to do.

I agree - its common courtesy and polite adult behavior to bus your table at Horizon Buffett. Not hard, is it, to remove our plates and cutlery so others don't have to encounter? Not appetizing having to see it.

As for the poster who did not recall pax in elevators and hallways towing plates of IC chow, I saw a constant parade every day for ten days last month on Princess.

True story: while I was enjoying a glass of wine and sushi at Vines, two portly tatooed gents waddled over clutching four (!!) plates mounded with cakes & sweets from IC. They plopped down and quickly shoveled in every bite. Slapping tummies, they pushed off but left a mini-mountain of trash scattered in front of me. Geesh!

We have often carried small plates of food to other areas of the ship from the International Cafe if there is no place to sit and enjoy it there. And no, we don't eat it while we are walking or on the elevator and I must say that is something I have never seen. I don't have a problem seeing people carry food as long as they are being careful and considerate of others. Seats are often at a premium around the IC, especially thanks to those that park themselves there to read and/or play games and cards at tables that really should be reserved for people who need to sit and eat. But that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

But I guess what really boggles my mind from this thread is the expectation that I should be bussing and cleaning my own table in the buffet. :confused: Normally the crew is right there picking up our plates as soon as we finish. As a paying customer I would not expect to bus and clean my own table on a cruise anymore than I would at a restaurant at home. I mean this isn't McDonalds! That is what my cruise fare and tips are for. And I rarely, if ever see dirty plates lying around as the crew are quick to turn the tables over. A table needs not just to be cleared of dishes, but wiped down and freshened with new table settings. I don't think that is the job of the passengers.

As for the poster who did not recall pax in elevators and hallways towing plates of IC chow, I saw a constant parade every day for ten days last month on Princess.

I didn't say that I didn't recall. I said that I have never witnessed. Of course as far as the elevators are concerned, it might be because I almost always (98% of the time) take the stairs. :D Although the doors sometimes open when I am on the landings and I usually look inside, but I still have never seen anything lying on the floor as described.

I am so glad that I looked at this thread! We are booked on Grand 1/28/12 and they have added an IC in the drydock. I did not know what it was so it was very informative to read all the postings. Especially the one about no cost. LOL.

We are so looking forward to this trip as my dear friend of 46 yrs has never been on a cruise before. She begged me to drop hubby like a hot potato and go with her as she is single. Going to be fun, just us girls.

It's contagious......this "dump the hubby" for the friend thing.....Not that I mean this in a bad way.....hey, I've been married longer than I lived with my siblings and Mom & Dad but, when hubby said he really didn't want to cruise anymore....I said works for me......Have fun with your lovely friend!

Uh! Oh! Have I started something?

But I guess what really boggles my mind from this thread is the expectation that I should be bussing and cleaning my own table in the buffet. :confused: Normally the crew is right there picking up our plates as soon as we finish. As a paying customer I would not expect to bus and clean my own table on a cruise anymore than I would at a restaurant at home. I mean this isn't McDonalds! That is what my cruise fare and tips are for. And I rarely, if ever see dirty plates lying around as the crew are quick to turn the tables over. A table needs not just to be cleared of dishes, but wiped down and freshened with new table settings. I don't think that is the job of the passengers.

Yes, yes and yes!!!

I have bused my own table in the Lido before. However, there should be no expectation of such and no glaring down ones nose at those who don’t. In addition, this quote from above, “A table needs not just to be cleared of dishes, but wiped down and freshened with new table settings.”, is one of the best reasons not to clear your own table. If you clear the table, the attendant may have no easy indicator that a table needs to be wiped down. Then those who tend to complain will have their knickers in a twist about the attendants not cleaning the tables before they seated themselves.

Yes, yes and yes!!!

I have bused my own table in the Lido before. However, there should be no expectation of such and no glaring down ones nose at those who don’t. In addition, this quote from above, “A table needs not just to be cleared of dishes, but wiped down and freshened with new table settings.”, is one of the best reasons not to clear your own table. If you clear the table, the attendant may have no easy indicator that a table needs to be wiped down. Then those who tend to complain will have their knickers in a twist about the attendants not cleaning the tables before they seated themselves.

Clearing a table only helps the waiters in carrying dirty dishes but they know the table has to be cleaned by the fact that there are no place settings. They are always appreciative.

Apologies to you farsight as I was not criticizing your point of view. What I saw did not comport with your experience but I respect that. I also opted for stairs often but, on ocassion, the elevator rides were disgusting to see plates left on board (pun intended).

As for staff clearing tables on a cruise, I agree with the sentiment that we are on holiday. Yet it was obvious Princess was absurdly and intentionally understaffed. With 3,000+ passengers the inability to obtain service - poolside drinks & towels, clearing of tables, absurdly long waits and a 3 Stooges Service in the Crown Grill & dining rooms for lunch/dinner -reflected an unacceptably understaffed ship.

I attribute this to Princess bone cutting cost imperative. Minimal staffing = minimal service = tables with trash. I do say staff worked hard. BUT insufficient staffing can not adequately address the needs of 3,000+ guests. So painfully obvious. Cabins were wonderfully cleaned. But public areas, especially food areas, were most unpleasant to deal with.

Luckily I knew that the food there was free thanks to postings on CC.

I quickly became addicted to the Chicken Salad. After every port call, I would grab some (asking for extra) and something else and head up to my balcony to watch all the late people running towards the ship. I did not miss the IC Chicken Salad a single day.

I loved the Chicken Salad and the Shrimp Salad so I alternated every day! I also loved the mini-cheesecakes. To die for!

In June, I was amazed to see large plates of food from IC toted round the ship, passengers walking and eating, food smeared on their faces, dropping scraps on the carpet.

But what truly grossed me out were slobs getting on elevators with IC plates mounded with pastries, shrimp and chicken salad, chewing noisily, nauseating others held captive on a packed elevator. Were these slobs so desparate to eat everything in sight that they had to chow down in the elevator before tearing into Horizon buffett?

Funny story: several times I boarded an elevator only to see disgusting plates with half eaten food left on the elevator floor. There for all of us to admire. Like dog droppings.

Now that's what I call classy behavior!

Wow, what a bad experience for those on your cruise. I'm very thankful that I've never seen that type of behavior from my fellow cruise passengers on my 16 cruises. I've seen some random acts that I didn't find too appealing but nothing to compare to your poor cruise experience.

Enjoy that IC. Very yummy food. How fun, going on a girl's cruise. I hope you enjoy

We have often carried small plates of food to other areas of the ship from the International Cafe if there is no place to sit and enjoy it there. And no, we don't eat it while we are walking or on the elevator and I must say that is something I have never seen. I don't have a problem seeing people carry food as long as they are being careful and considerate of others. Seats are often at a premium around the IC, especially thanks to those that park themselves there to read and/or play games and cards at tables that really should be reserved for people who need to sit and eat. But that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

I agree with you. I don't think it is my responsibility to bus my own table. I try to be very considerate of my fellow passengers, have been raised right but never thought it was my job to bus my table. I agree - I'm not at McDonald's. Also, in 16 cruises, I rarely have walked up to a table in the buffet area and found it still had plates, etc from previous table users. The crew seems to get to these right away unless I walk up just as fellow passengers are leaving the table. I think the crews on Princess do an excellent job in these areas.

How many people do you see in the Horizon return their dirty plates to the clean up area like the crew do in the evenings after finishing? ......very few.

The answer should be zero. Just as in any non-fast food restaurant on shore. (Company cafeterias are an exception to this.)

Clearing a table only helps the waiters in carrying dirty dishes but they know the table has to be cleaned by the fact that there are no place settings. They are always appreciative.

That addresses one point I made. However if the attendant is not close to the table and only one or 2 people ate at a 4-6 seat table, dirty dishes are still a better indicator. I'm not saying I haven't cleared my own dishes, because I have. I'm just saying there are opposing opinions and they aren't necessarily wrong.

If a person wants to clear their table that is a very nice thing to do in my opinion. However, if one chooses not to clear one's table that is perfectly acceptable, especially as it is not expected. Karatemom2 made a totally valid point in that we paid for our cruise, we pay our tips and in a restaurant at home most (probably 98% or more) people would never clear their table at a fine dining establishment. We pay Princess for their service and they are more than happy to provide that service.

Leaving trash/litter in other places than dining tables (it's all about reasonable expectations here) like around lounge chairs on the decks, 'in elevators' etc. is totally unacceptable as far as I am concerned.

The OP wants to know if they can get food at the IC and carry it somewhere else. Yes they can, and in my experience (certainly an unscientific study to say the least :D) about 85% of the people do.

I don't much like seeing plates/glasses or food being left in any area of the ship other than the dining rooms or places where the food is served.

Me neither! Room service trays in the hallways, dishes in the corner of the elevator (why do people DO that?). I don't bus my own table in the Horizon Court; on the Emerald dishes were taken just as quickly as I was finished with them. But I do bus around my lounger on the pool decks (mostly glasses) and I definitely take any dirty dishes from our cabin to the HC instead of leaving them for the room steward (mostly glasses). I just have a thing about dirty dishes lying around.

Speaking of croissants from the IC being better than those served in the dining room at breakfast...DH thinks so too. We call our daily stop at the IC for coffee and a croissant for DH our "pre-breakfast".

Leaving trash/litter in other places than dining tables (it's all about reasonable expectations here) like around lounge chairs on the decks, 'in elevators' etc. is totally unacceptable as far as I am concerned.

Elevators I can understand, and I hate seeing dirty dishes outside cabins in corridors. But if you grab a slice of pizza while watching something on MUTS in the afternoon, should you really have to walk down to the HC to clean up your plate? Usually I set it under my chair, and someone comes around and cleans it up long before the movie is over.

Elevators I can understand, and I hate seeing dirty dishes outside cabins in corridors. But if you grab a slice of pizza while watching something on MUTS in the afternoon, should you really have to walk down to the HC to clean up your plate? Usually I set it under my chair, and someone comes around and cleans it up long before the movie is over.

Whenever I eat on a lounger I always take my tray/plates/silverware and leave on top of the garbage cans. Out of my way, and easy for the appropriate person to clean up

It's contagious......this "dump the hubby" for the friend thing.....Not that I mean this in a bad way.....hey, I've been married longer than I lived with my siblings and Mom & Dad but, when hubby said he really didn't want to cruise anymore....I said works for me......Have fun with your lovely friend!

Uh! Oh! Have I started something?

Thanks Roz. DH would like to go but agreed to this for the friend. He will be staying in Clearwater, FL w/my folks and going to Tampa Bay Downs w/my dad. I think he will not miss me much. LOL ;-)

May I suggest grilled panini at the IC? While many love chicken & shrimp salads, IC offers several pressed sandwiches that are delicious.

I thought proscuitto and mozzarella panini were especially good. Pressed on a Foreman-like grill for a minute so its quick, warm and tasty. Wrap it in a napkin, then tote and munch wherever you please - standing, sitting, lying, break dancing atop Explorers Bar.

As for others' trash, my point is simply Princess was sadly understaffed. Insufficient staff to handle the volume of trash accumulating in Horizon and public areas. So, for me, as a personal choice, I removed my trash & cleared our table when finished b/c other pax were anxiously looking for a place to sit and eat. Particularly on foul weather days when most were roaming inside.

But, hey, that's me. I appreciate others feel its not their problem if trash sits atop a table, in a corner or in the elevator. Personally, I am bothered by the lack of consideration and believe it is courteous to remove trash when others want the use of your table once available and a Princess staffer is nowhere in sight to bus the table.

Archived