Darn it Princess, I have to go RCI or Celebrity now!

cdamion

Well, I am looking to book my next adults-only cruise for winter of 2012/2013 and you have killed what in my opinion was your best Caribbean itinerary - the Southern trips out of San Juan.

Now, I am left with Carnival (which I will not do), RCI Brilliance (Radiance Class), RCI Adventure (Voyager Class), or Celebrity Summit.

I REALLY like you Princess, but you do not have the itinerary that I need, so I need to move on.

For those of you who have been on RCI's Voyager or Radiance class, which of the two do you think would be nicer for a Princess fan? (I like some nightlife, but like ships with plenty of quiet areas to relax - which is why Carnival is out). Oh, and minimal crowding. Princess' ships have the best passenger flow I have experienced, I don't like spending lots of time waiting in lines, or not being able to get into venues because they are jam packed.

Well, I am looking to book my next adults-only cruise for winter of 2012/2013 and you have killed what in my opinion was your best Caribbean itinerary - the Southern trips out of San Juan.

Now, I am left with Carnival (which I will not do), RCI Brilliance (Radiance Class), RCI Adventure (Voyager Class), or Celebrity Summit.

I REALLY like you Princess, but you do not have the itinerary that I need, so I need to move on.

For those of you who have been on RCI's Voyager or Radiance class, which of the two do you think would be nicer for a Princess fan? (I like some nightlife, but like ships with plenty of quiet areas to relax - which is why Carnival is out). Oh, and minimal crowding. Princess' ships have the best passenger flow I have experienced, I don't like spending lots of time waiting in lines, or not being able to get into venues because they are jam packed.

Did Oceania or Azamara have any cruises? If you want adult only or close to it, it might be one of them and they are great!!

We went on a Carnival cruise, 2400 passengers, 800 of them kids, and it was the most romantic cruise ever. We did the dinner like the Master Chef, we can a table for two by a railing, so all by ourselves, and the only real noise problem we had were from adults who had too much to drink, or just thought they had the right to be loud as heck! Good luck.

I am also disappointed in Princess pulling from the San Juan port. I have done a couple of Christmas cruises and I like starting the crusie from San Juan. You also typically get more islands or island time with the Southern route.

Good luck with your decision.

The Brilliance OTS out of San Juan was one of our most favorite Caribbean cruises ever. After leaving Castries, St. Lucia, the captain takes the time to sail down the western coast of St. Lucia to do a couple of 360 degree turns at the base of the Pitons, which might coincide with sunset, depending on the time of the year. Also, the one day at sea, the ship does a slow, close sail along Montserrat, Nevis, St. Kitts, Statia and Saba, and someone from the bridge tells you what you're seeing. It was amazing to see the city of Plymouth on Montserrat buried in lava. We even did a late evening fuel stop at St. Croix where they held a street party for us and we were able to be on St. John, St. Thomas and St. Croix all in one day.

I don't particularly care for RCCL's larger ships, but I think their Radiance Class are the nicest ships sailing.

Sorry I can't compare Princess to RCI classes. My first Princess cruise is coming up in January.

For what it's worth, Radiance class ships are some of the nicest cruise ships afloat. They have wonderfully quiet adult only pool areas with hot tubs and quiet corners for reading. I particularly like the aft outdoor dining area of the Windjammer buffet.

Voyager class are larger and a little more boisterous. They feature the indoor Royal Promenade which is great if the weather isn't so good. More dining and entertainment venues.

We were on the Radiance and the Mariner, We liked the Radiance better and are looking forward to finding another cruise on her again.

This will be our first Princess cruise, RCCL got rid of the same itinerary to Hawaii, that is why we are on Princess (same reason as you but the other way around).

We've done the same Southern itinerary on the Crown Princess and on RCI Serenade of the Seas (radiance class). They are very comparable but I'ld have to say that Serenade is prettier by far and the public venues are much larger than the Princess ships. I've also been on RCI's Navigator on the Eastern Carib route. Lately, we have been choosing Princess due to better pricing and more convenient itineraries but I think you will be happy with the Radiance class ship.

Did Oceania or Azamara have any cruises? If you want adult only or close to it, it might be one of them and they are great!!

We went on a Carnival cruise, 2400 passengers, 800 of them kids, and it was the most romantic cruise ever. We did the dinner like the Master Chef, we can a table for two by a railing, so all by ourselves, and the only real noise problem we had were from adults who had too much to drink, or just thought they had the right to be loud as heck! Good luck.

When I say 'adults-only' I am making reference to my party, not the passenger count of kids. When I am saying no to Carnival, it is the loudness of the passengers in general, and the feeling there is nowhere quiet to escape to. If I am with kids, Carnival is fine. The kids have a blast on there.

Do keep in mind, that when I am saying no to Carnival, it is because there are other options. If they were the only ship sailing that route, I would be on the Victory - sure beats no cruise at all.

The Brilliance OTS out of San Juan was one of our most favorite Caribbean cruises ever. After leaving Castries, St. Lucia, the captain takes the time to sail down the western coast of St. Lucia to do a couple of 360 degree turns at the base of the Pitons, which might coincide with sunset, depending on the time of the year. Also, the one day at sea, the ship does a slow, close sail along Montserrat, Nevis, St. Kitts, Statia and Saba, and someone from the bridge tells you what you're seeing. It was amazing to see the city of Plymouth on Montserrat buried in lava. We even did a late evening fuel stop at St. Croix where they held a street party for us and we were able to be on St. John, St. Thomas and St. Croix all in one day.

I don't particularly care for RCCL's larger ships, but I think their Radiance Class are the nicest ships sailing.

This sounds simply outstanding!!!

We were on the Radiance and the Mariner, We liked the Radiance better and are looking forward to finding another cruise on her again.

This will be our first Princess cruise, RCCL got rid of the same itinerary to Hawaii, that is why we are on Princess (same reason as you but the other way around).

I think you will enjoy Princess. The ships do not have the same 'wow' factor because they have numerous smaller spaces to absorb the passengers, so for the most part passengers are evenly spread throughout the ship. They offer a great balance between casual fun and elegance without being too snooty.

I would recommend the Brilliance for you, especially out of San Juan.

The Solarium pool, with it's movable dome and jungle environment, is a highlight on all four of the Radiance class ships, not to forget the 10 deck high wall of glass facing the sea for the main bank of four glass elevators.

We are doing a B2B on the ship in Oct-Nov 2012 as it repos from Quebec City down to San Juan.

I have to chime in here and say I am also disappointed that Princess is pulling the CB out of San Juan. I am hoping it will not be permanently. :(:mad::( I am sure it had everything to do with having to reduce prices dramatically the past few years in order to fill the ship.

The airfare to San Juan has skyrocketed in the past few years when compared to FLL. The thing is....most people don't realize how much it enhances a winter Caribbean cruise to leave from San Juan. Often the weather leaving Florida and for the first and last days, and stops at Princess Cays, are too cool to really enjoy. That is a big chunk of a seven-day cruise. On the other hand, when you cruise from San Juan, you always have beautiful warm tropical weather from the time your plane lands until after you debark and board your plane for home. I compensated for the high air fare to San Juan by booking a b2b, 14 days instead of seven. :D:D

Maybe a 14-day cruise out of San Juan is in the future? :)

I have been on both the Voyager and Radiance Class ships. While we like both, I think the Radiance Class ships are very special. If you like Princess passenger flows, the Radiance will better suit your likes. Very well laid out and very easy to get around. A lot of quiet areas and lots of glass to look out at sea. Theater is very spacious and you won't have to get there 30 minutes early just to get a seat.

I think you will enjoy Princess. The ships do not have the same 'wow' factor because they have numerous smaller spaces to absorb the passengers, so for the most part passengers are evenly spread throughout the ship. They offer a great balance between casual fun and elegance without being too snooty.

Interesting. On my one Princess experience, I found that there wasn't enough space to absorb the passengers, and that there were significant "traffic" issues in a couple areas of the ship. It was the Caribbean Princess, which I have since been told had an additional passenger deck added to it when being built, with no increase in the amount of public space.

OP, I've done Jewel and Serenade (Radiance class) and Explorer (Voyager class). My favorite, hands down, is the Radiance class. I prefer the vast amounts of glass, with vistas of the sea, to the Royal Promenade, which reminded me of a shopping mall or airport shopping area.

Radiance class is very much like Coral/Island Princess.

My first Princess cruise was on the Coral Princess, and it reminded me a lot of Jewel of the Seas.

I've sailed on Adventure of the Seas twice (one RT from San Juan and a Transatlantic to San Juan), and I would definitely choose the Radiance-class ship.

Archived