Dockyard Sea Glass Beach - the easy way!

32N64W

Yes, the same buses routes return to Dockyard. Going from the sea glass beach back to Dockyard the color of the pole at the bus stop will be blue...so look for a blue pole approximately across the street from where you got off the bus going to the sea glass beach (the pole where you got off the bus on your trip to the sea glass beach will have been pink).

Thank you so much!! Now, we're waiting patiently for October to come.

• 2 weeks later...

For what its worth.....We were on the NCL DAWN and in Bermuda from June 3-5th. On June 5th a group of us went to sea glass beach. We all filled our pockets with the sea glass, except for my husband who filled a ziplock baggie. We then stopped at the Frog and Onion to get some drinks and sourvineer cups/bottles. We all went our separate ways and went back to the ship separately. My husband had a couple of collectible beer bottles in a bag and put his ziplock bag of sea glass in with it then went through security. They confiscated the sea glass saying that it is not allowed to be taken on board the ship. He said there were piles of it where they put his baggie. They said if he wanted to buy some, they sold it near the dock for .50 each piece. The rest of us got ours on fine!

So I would suggest either putting the sea glass in your pocket, in a beach bag, but definitely not with beer bottles, or walking on with the baggie in your hand.

We were on the May 20, 2012 sailing aboard the Summit. We took a taxi to sea glass beach from the ship and it cost $8.00 plus a tip. It was worth it to me since I really wasn't sure of the walk. I didn't think the driver dropped us off in the right spot so we took out the handy photo directions I found her on CC (thank you) and found the proper beach. There was a very friendly gentleman who we asked if we could go down to the beach to hunt for glass since it seemed to be private property. He told us to go and have fun! Just so you know...if you have trouble with stairs there are about 20 steps down to the beach with a makeshift hand rail. They are not steep. It seems like he is adding more railings to the lower steps too. If you take your time it is worth the walk down!

As far as not allowing it on the ship. We were on the Summit and when our backpack went through the scanner the guy looking at the machine said "you went to Sea Glass Beach I see!" We were not told to leave the glass!

Edited by 5kidsandadog

Just returned on Sunday from Bermuda. I did the sea glass beach by myself; unless you're in good shape, take the bus to Horseshoe Bay and tell the driver you want to get off at the military cemetary. (5 min. Ride....hang on!) cross the road and the stairs going down are right behind the apartments; you'll see the glass embedded on the walls. The stairs are rather rickety, as are the railings...coming back up was a challenge with all the glass...huff,huff! If you take your time and walk carefully, it'll be ok . I had knee problems this past winter and the stairs did affect my knee, but a few Dark and Stormy's fixed everything! Enjoy! PS. The blue pole is directly across from the turquoise church!

I am a sea glass hunter and booked this cruise with the intent of finding glass, can not wait!!!

A few questions:

I am seeing 2-3 different beaches for glass, the Dockyard, Alexander Battery and ??? can't remember now. Is one better than the other? Could I try and visit both? We are in port for 1 1/2 days.

I have also read, from a few posters, that they were not allowed to bring their glass back onto the ship, yikes!!! Any thoughts or advice here? I would be disappointed to find some glass and then told to leave it at security......

thanks for any advice..going in August :):)

I also would like to know the answers to those last questions.

I would specifically like to know if anyone that has been on the Veendam has had problems bringing sea glass back on the ship.

I'm a little confused as to how to get to the sea glass beach. I will be in Hamilton, do I take the #7 bus towards Horseshoe Bay and get off at the Naval Cemetary? Do I need to specify the cemetary or is there a stop there? (I hope I didn't just confuse everyone else.)

I am so glad to see there are other sea glass lovers out there. I thought I was the only one. Whenever I mention looking for sea glass to friends and family they look at me like I have two heads.

Please leave some for me, I'll be there in July!!!

I'm a little confused as to how to get to the sea glass beach. I will be in Hamilton, do I take the #7 bus towards Horseshoe Bay and get off at the Naval Cemetary? Do I need to specify the cemetary or is there a stop there? (I hope I didn't just confuse everyone else.)

Please leave some for me, I'll be there in July!!!

If I were in Hamilton, I would take the ferry to the Dockyard and either walk (20-25 minutes) or take the bus (5 minutes) to the sea glass beach. If you were to take the bus from Hamilton, it would be almost an hour ride to get to the beach.

There are directions for walking in post #1 of the current thread. Here are direct links for directs:

SBtS

Edited by SailBadtheSinner
speling

We took a quick taxi ride asking to be dropped off at "Sea Glass Beach". The driver dropped us off close by and we relied on the map we found on CC to find the right spot. Here are some pics of the beach. There is ALOT of glass!! Make sure you have enough time to sort through to find the special ones!! We decided to walk back and one of the busses stopped. We asked if she was going to the Dockyard and she told us to get on. Not sure if it was a stop or not...we were just standing there trying to figure out which way to go!!!

505953016_Bermuda008_rs.jpg.e9e5a4a5f0dba8b4a7524272ae71ae0a.jpg

242761976_Bermuda010_rs.jpg.b916abc70bf594a629edb48f86ec0aba.jpg

324612974_Bermuda011_rs.jpg.0dd4a42cae6e4529b6038ab80df5befe.jpg

7344687_BeachglassBermudastyle006_rs.jpg.f64712fecc2ce0e6c85ecd7d8e71c6c7.jpg

1409062344_BeachglassBermudastyle016_rs.jpg.90af85c34db66be5dae0754454ccd9c6.jpg

I agree w/ SailBad; take the ferry to the Dockyard and then a bus. I simply told the driver the naval cemetery. Yes, there is a stop there. As for bringing it back, I had mine in a ziplock bag inside a shoulder bag. They never even checked my bags, coming or going and it went right thru the scanner on the ship, no problems. Happy hunting!

............My husband had a couple of collectible beer bottles in a bag and put his ziplock bag of sea glass in with it then went through security. They confiscated the sea glass saying that it is not allowed to be taken on board the ship. He said there were piles of it where they put his baggie. They said if he wanted to buy some, they sold it near the dock for .50 each piece. The rest of us got ours on fine!

Now that is just plain bizarre!!!

If it's not allowed to be taken on the ship, why would it be allowed if you paid for it which seems like what they were inferring? I'm very nonconfrontational but I sure would have questioned this.

They should be paying us since we're taking away their trash.:D

Hi All,

Here is a Google Earth (bless them) overhead showing the area...

Google-overhead.jpg

Have fun!

Thank you, this is great.

I just love reading post about Bermuda.

We learn so much about the area this way.

Can't wait to visit again, this time we will be better educated about the area.

Hi All,

Following the unbelievably huge success of my original post about the Dockyard Walking Adventure with Sea Glass, but spotting that most people ONLY want to go to the beach, here's an updated post with better pics and a traffic-free route.

This will take about twenty to twenty five minutes to walk.

Dockyard-map-copy.jpg

As you leave the Dockyard, turn left onto Freeport Drive and look at the ship insignias painted on the walls, dating from when the Dockyard was a Navy base.

When you cross the bridge at the exit from the Dockyard area, take the right hand road - Cochrane Road.

Continue down this road. Eventually it turns sharp left and meets back up with the main road, but just before it does, there is a stand of trees with big roots. Take the little road to the right here.

Just a little way along this road is a area of grass on the right with a shelter, table and bench.

The steps down to the beach are here. There are about twenty steps.

Here's the route in pictures...

WALK-PIC.jpg

Happy Sea Glass hunting!

32N64W

Thank you.

You are keeping us very informed about this.

Very interesting, good to know.

Now I'm getting exited about visiting Bermuda again very soon.

So Beautiful!!

I had no problems bringing back a pound or more of sea glass from the beach onto the Dawn last summer.:)

Yeah would be nice.

Just don't bring any pink sand, the last time in Bermuda on the Explorer

they were very strict about bringing sand back to the ship. So sad,

my granddaughter wanted us to bring some for her..:(

Now that is just plain bizarre!!!

If it's not allowed to be taken on the ship, why would it be allowed if you paid for it which seems like what they were inferring? I'm very nonconfrontational but I sure would have questioned this.

They should be paying us since we're taking away their trash.:D

The reason they gave my husband is that it had some sand on them and they hadn't been "sterilized". The ones they were selling had already been "sterilized". They then pointed to a sign and which showed what cannot be allowed onto the ship, so he didn't argue with them.

I am glad no one else had an issue with their seaglass. Just wanted to warn others just in case it is an issue going forward.

Edited by WeLuv2TravelAlot

weluv...

what cruise line were you on?

I am going in August and am really looking forward to hunting for glass and bringing some home! I have to say that I would be so disappointed not to be able to bring it aboard!

anyone else have problems or have any suggestions on how to avoid this....???

We didn't have any trouble bringing it back on June 10. We did put the plastic bag of sea glass inside a backpack with other stuff that wouldn't have raised any suspicion. I don't know if this made a difference, but carrying it in a way that isn't easily visible and doesn't bring attention to it can't hurt.

weluv...

what cruise line were you on?

I am going in August and am really looking forward to hunting for glass and bringing some home! I have to say that I would be so disappointed not to be able to bring it aboard!

anyone else have problems or have any suggestions on how to avoid this....???

We were on the Norwegian Dawn.

Hi All,

Following the unbelievably huge success of my original post about the Dockyard Walking Adventure with Sea Glass, but spotting that most people ONLY want to go to the beach, here's an updated post with better pics and a traffic-free route.

This will take about twenty to twenty five minutes to walk.

Dockyard-map-copy.jpg

As you leave the Dockyard, turn left onto Freeport Drive and look at the ship insignias painted on the walls, dating from when the Dockyard was a Navy base.

When you cross the bridge at the exit from the Dockyard area, take the right hand road - Cochrane Road.

Continue down this road. Eventually it turns sharp left and meets back up with the main road, but just before it does, there is a stand of trees with big roots. Take the little road to the right here.

Just a little way along this road is a area of grass on the right with a shelter, table and bench.

The steps down to the beach are here. There are about twenty steps.

Here's the route in pictures...

WALK-PIC.jpg

Happy Sea Glass hunting!

32N64W

Hi All,

Here is a Google Earth (bless them) overhead showing the area...

Google-overhead.jpg

Have fun!

Thank you!

B

My mom just returned from Bermuda on board NCL Star. She had to rinse off her seaglass of the sand on it.

Last year we brought back bags of glass and an entire bag of sand from Horseshoe Beach on to the NCL Gem, and nobody said a word.

Weird.

I hope we don't have any problem this year with the Veendam.

• 3 weeks later...

I was in Bermuda last week on the Celebrity Summit and wanted to report back on my glass beach adventures. I went twice - the first time I walked there around 5:00pm on the day we arrived. I followed the directions exactly and stayed on the suggested quieter roads. From the time I stepped off the ship to the time I stepped on to the beach I think was approximately 25 minutes and a fairly easy walk. It was HOT, which made the walk tiring, so take water with you when you go, especially if it is during the summer months. I took the bus back to the Dockyard - couldn't face the walk back in the heat. Remember to wait at the BLUE pole for the bus going TO the Dockyard.

The first time I went there were about 7 people on the beach, one person I started talking to was also on the Summit. He collected a lot of glass and had no problem taking it back on the ship. There is A LOT of glass so don't worry that it will all be gone by the time you get there. Walk from end to end of the beach looking both in the water and further back from the water's edge for piles of the glass.

The second time I went to the beach was on the last day in port. I took the bus there and back, was the only person on the beach and the whole trip took about an hour - good bus connections.

I took only a bit of glass the first time and forgot that I had put it in my pocket when I went back on the ship. I walked through security with no problems - only realized when I got back to my cabin that it was still in my pocket. On my second visit I gathered the glass in a sandwich size ziploc bag and put it in my backpack. When I got back to the ship I sent my bag through the security machine and the security guard grabbed it on the other end and asked me if it was my bag, yes, and he put it through again. I walked to the other side of the machine to see what was showing up and ask why he was putting it through again. He said that there was something dense in the bag and asked me if I had glass in there - I said yes, he smiled and handed me my bag - no problem.

Thanks again for the excellent directions and pictures. I printed them out and took them with me and had no problems following them. As someone else said you will likely pass some locals who will also guide you on your way if you walk. Be careful of the stairs going down to the beach, the steps are different heights - hold the handrail, even if it is a bit wobbly - have fun. :)