Dockyard Sea Glass Beach - the easy way!

32N64W

I was in Bermuda last week on the Celebrity Summit and wanted to report back on my glass beach adventures. I went twice - the first time I walked there around 5:00pm on the day we arrived. I followed the directions exactly and stayed on the suggested quieter roads. From the time I stepped off the ship to the time I stepped on to the beach I think was approximately 25 minutes and a fairly easy walk. It was HOT, which made the walk tiring, so take water with you when you go, especially if it is during the summer months. I took the bus back to the Dockyard - couldn't face the walk back in the heat. Remember to wait at the BLUE pole for the bus going TO the Dockyard.

The first time I went there were about 7 people on the beach, one person I started talking to was also on the Summit. He collected a lot of glass and had no problem taking it back on the ship. There is A LOT of glass so don't worry that it will all be gone by the time you get there. Walk from end to end of the beach looking both in the water and further back from the water's edge for piles of the glass.

The second time I went to the beach was on the last day in port. I took the bus there and back, was the only person on the beach and the whole trip took about an hour - good bus connections.

I took only a bit of glass the first time and forgot that I had put it in my pocket when I went back on the ship. I walked through security with no problems - only realized when I got back to my cabin that it was still in my pocket. On my second visit I gathered the glass in a sandwich size ziploc bag and put it in my backpack. When I got back to the ship I sent my bag through the security machine and the security guard grabbed it on the other end and asked me if it was my bag, yes, and he put it through again. I walked to the other side of the machine to see what was showing up and ask why he was putting it through again. He said that there was something dense in the bag and asked me if I had glass in there - I said yes, he smiled and handed me my bag - no problem.

Thanks again for the excellent directions and pictures. I printed them out and took them with me and had no problems following them. As someone else said you will likely pass some locals who will also guide you on your way if you walk. Be careful of the stairs going down to the beach, the steps are different heights - hold the handrail, even if it is a bit wobbly - have fun. :)

Thanks for sharing your adventure and the update on boarding with sea glass!:)

Hi Sue,

Glad you found it okay, and yes it's a bit hot to walk both ways, which is why NJ and Sailbad have all those excellent bus directions on the thread.

As I said before, nobody should have any problem with a small baggie of glass. Big bucketful - yeah I can see the security people might be a bit funny about it, but who wants to lug around several pounds of glass anyway.

Have Fun!

Hi Sue,

Glad you found it okay, and yes it's a bit hot to walk both ways, which is why NJ and Sailbad have all those excellent bus directions on the thread.

As I said before, nobody should have any problem with a small baggie of glass. Big bucketful - yeah I can see the security people might be a bit funny about it, but who wants to lug around several pounds of glass anyway.

Have Fun!

Bus directions are easy to do. It's your great map, complete with photos of landmarks that makes this thread so useful.

Hi Sue,

Have Fun!

We were on Summit July 1-8 and went to Sea Glass Beach. Had major issue with taxi driver who refused to take us, insisting we walk...not possible as we are both over 70. Finally agreed to take us and you would have thought he was in the Indy 500 with speed around curves. We came back on bus and told bus driver of our experience. He reported it to the police who tracked me down and had me submit a report. Fortunately I had pen and paper with me and had jotted down his tag number. He also refused to drop us where the photo directions said the beach was so we had to walk back up the hill a considerable distance.

The gentleman was working in his yard area and was quite friendly as we asked permission to descend the stairs. There was tons of glass to choose from and many others showed up later. It was a really neat experience and we were glad for all the help provided on this board.

We had no trouble taking the glass back on to the Summit. Just put it through screening machine and not a word was said. Our sea glass is still sitting on my kitchen counter waiting to be washed and placed in a glass container for display.

Thanks again for all of your great directions, photos, bus schedule information. Now, what can you do about rude, reckless taxi drivers.

I took the photo of the beach at 8 am. The photo of the path was taken approximately at 11 am. I scouted the route early in the morning to see how it would be as far as safety for the kids. The road over the bridge was the main area of concern because there are areas without sidewalks. It was manageable.

It is approximately a 25 minute walk from the ship's docking area.

We went with the kids at about 11 am. We had three in strollers.

To save time walking in the sun, we took the free train at dockyard from the ship's docking area to the watchtower mall, then walked the rest of the route. Once you get onto Cochrane Rd. there is a dirt road on the right hand side with a mailbox at the top of the road (it looks like a long driveway). It is located on the opposite side of the apartments, on the right, right after a clearing with a large tree and a picnic table. This location is at the beginning of the apartments on the right. We took this path instead of staying on the road. This back path helped us to avoid walking on the road with the little ones and it was much nicer to walk on because it took us through a more shaded area. As you walk this route at first it is open, but it becomes more shaded & wooded further down the path as it brings you directly to the beach.

DSC_0311.jpg.d3e7b858e9f96091562696626d53cc5e.jpg

DSC_0345.jpg.55482b40dc8acb0a7dbc00b1fdda2f45.jpg

Edited by nicebbern

I took the photo of the beach at 8 am. The photo of the path was taken approximately at 11 am. I scouted the route early in the morning to see how it would be as far as safety for the kids. The road over the bridge was the main area of concern because there are areas without sidewalks. It was manageable.

It is approximately a 25 minute walk from the ship's docking area.

We went with the kids at about 11 am. We had three in strollers.

To save time walking in the sun, we took the free train at dockyard from the ship's docking area to the watchtower mall, then walked the rest of the route. Once you get onto Cochrane Rd. there is a dirt road on the right hand side with a mailbox at the top of the road (it looks like a long driveway). It is located on the opposite side of the apartments, on the right, right after a clearing with a large tree and a picnic table. This location is at the beginning of the apartments on the right. We took this path instead of staying on the road. This back path helped us to avoid walking on the road with the little ones and it was much nicer to walk on because it took us through a more shaded area. As you walk this route at first it is open, but it becomes more shaded & wooded further down the path as it brings you directly to the beach.

Nicebbern,

Thank you so much for this info. and pictures! We have a mobility scooter. Are there steps to go down at the beach when you reach the end of the path?

It would be so nice to be able to take the scooter there.

thanks,

Judy

Nicebbern,

Thank you so much for this info. and pictures! We have a mobility scooter. Are there steps to go down at the beach when you reach the end of the path?

It would be so nice to be able to take the scooter there.

thanks,

Judy

CC member LOWTYD posted this photo in 2009 of the steps going down to the beach:

IMG_6539.JPG

SBtS

The steps are uneven and rather questionable. You will not be able to get a scooter down them onto the beach. The handrail is wobbly and not secure. This is not a public beach that is highly maintained but a tourist attraction on beach front that is accessible but not for the people with mobility issues.

Thanks flowers and sail,

The poster nicebbern said that the path led directly to the beach so I thought there might be an easier way down there. Wonder how they got strollers and children down those stairs?

Judy

Hi All,

Following the unbelievably huge success of my original post about the Dockyard Walking Adventure with Sea Glass, but spotting that most people ONLY want to go to the beach, here's an updated post with better pics and a traffic-free route.

This will take about twenty to twenty five minutes to walk.

As you leave the Dockyard, turn left onto Freeport Drive and look at the ship insignias painted on the walls, dating from when the Dockyard was a Navy base.

When you cross the bridge at the exit from the Dockyard area, take the right hand road - Cochrane Road.

Continue down this road. Eventually it turns sharp left and meets back up with the main road, but just before it does, there is a stand of trees with big roots. Take the little road to the right here.

Just a little way along this road is a area of grass on the right with a shelter, table and bench.

The steps down to the beach are here. There are about twenty steps.

Here's the route in pictures...

Happy Sea Glass hunting!

32N64W

Thank you for your very complete directions. We went there on july 27th and collected quite a few samples.icon7.gif

Your island is really beautiful.

John

Thanks flowers and sail,

The poster nicebbern said that the path led directly to the beach so I thought there might be an easier way down there. Wonder how they got strollers and children down those stairs?

Judy

We did not get the strollers down the stairs. By going down the path, it did not take us as far as the stairs. We left the strollers on the path. There is no clear route for a scooter by the stairs as flowers44 mentioned, they are questionable. Nor is there a clear path by taking the path I mentioned You would still need to take a few steps through the small patch of trees (right side in photo) and down a small slope to get to the beach.

Here is another photo taken from the other direction on the path with the beach in view.

DSC_0460.jpg.95370da00f24ac9f2aaafb9e701593cc.jpg

Nicebbern,

Thanks for the helpful answer and especially the picture. This path sounds like a good idea for us. Our scooter will be much closer to the beach and in the shade. I was going to go down the stairs and have my husband wait at the top. This path may make it possible for him at least to look at the beach if not actually walk to the beach. We'll check it out when we get there to see if it's possible.

I really appreciate the time it took you to answer!!!

:)

Judy

• 2 weeks later...

We followed the directions and walked to Sea Glass Beach last week while on the Enchantment. We were glad we did! It was something different to do and we actually had a lot of fun looking at all the glass on the beach.

Although it is very littered on one side... old engines, car parts... it was still nice enough to go in the water to cool off and people were there snorkeling. My DH brought his snorkeling stuff and he saw some colorful fish.

Bring your water shoes as it is very rocky walking into the water.

We were there on 8/7. This was our second trip there since we went for the first time last August.

The high road from the Dockyard does have a sidewalk. We did not notice this last year so we went the low road by the ship paintings.

We found some nice colorful sea glass again. It is a fun way to spend a morning.

las313, I had the same concerns on our cruise a couple of weeks ago. We took a zip-lock bag with us to put the glass in. We had no problem getting it on back on the ship. It was in my husbands backpack.

There is a ton of glass, have fun!

Nanners

las313, I had the same concerns on our cruise a couple of weeks ago. We took a zip-lock bag with us to put the glass in. We had no problem getting it on back on the ship. It was in my husbands backpack.

There is a ton of glass, have fun!

Nanners

Thanks.

Louise

Hi All,

Following the unbelievably huge success of my original post about the Dockyard Walking Adventure with Sea Glass, but spotting that most people ONLY want to go to the beach, here's an updated post with better pics and a traffic-free route.

Dockyard-map-copy.jpg

As you leave the Dockyard, turn left onto Freeport Drive and look at the ship insignias painted on the walls, dating from when the Dockyard was a Navy base.

When you cross the bridge at the exit from the Dockyard area, take the right hand road - Cochrane Road.

Continue down this road. Eventually it turns sharp left and meets back up with the main road, but just before it does, there is a stand of trees with big roots. Take the little road to the right here.

Just a little way along this road is a area of grass on the right with a shelter, table and bench.

WALK-PIC.jpg

Happy Sea Glass hunting!

32N64W

I had directions, but not like these, nor the map. Awesome! Thanks and great post. The travel guide states that this is pretty incredible and generally not at all crowded. Have moved it to the top of my relatively lengthy list. Appreciate it!

Ray

• 1 month later...

Great directions. I followed them and sorta got lost because the tree with the big roots is now no longer there. You basically see the convict cemetery and you turn there. We took pictures of where the tree was etc, but since we just got off the ship today, we've not yet downloaded any of the photos. I'll post some when i get access to that camera :)

Hi All,

Dockyard-map-copy.jpg

WALK-PIC.jpg

Happy Sea Glass hunting!

32N64W

Yeah would be nice.

Just don't bring any pink sand, the last time in Bermuda on the Explorer

they were very strict about bringing sand back to the ship. So sad,

my granddaughter wanted us to bring some for her..:(

really? we managed to get a small nalgene (the 3oz size?) of pink sand on board without any questions asked.. though we did have it in our backpacks not just trying to walk in on board

First, thank you so much for this thread. It is absolutely perfect!

I have a question about the #7 bus stop. When I looked at the map (http://www.bermudadirectory.com/PDF's/PTB%20Routes.pdf) it doesn't list a stop for the Naval Cemetary. Is this just something the drivers know? I am trying to find out how many zones it is from the port in dockyard so I don't know what stop it technically is. Thanks!