Dockyard Sea Glass Beach - the easy way!

32N64W

The Cemetary is at the first stop outside the dockyard on bus #7. Just ask the driver to stop at the glass beach and they will do it for you. You will be left off across the road from four aqua apartment buildings. Just walk between the four buildings and you will see the stairway to the glass beach. It is not a fancy stairway so hang onto the shaky handrail.

First, thank you so much for this thread. It is absolutely perfect!

I have a question about the #7 bus stop. When I looked at the map (http://www.bermudadirectory.com/PDF's/PTB%20Routes.pdf) it doesn't list a stop for the Naval Cemetary. Is this just something the drivers know? I am trying to find out how many zones it is from the port in dockyard so I don't know what stop it technically is. Thanks!

There are directions for taking the bus to the sea glass beach here, and included is a satellite photo of the area.

SBtS

The Cemetary is at the first stop outside the dockyard on bus #7. ...

Thanks! That really what I wanted to know.

The rest of this thread did a wonderful job of explaining the detailed directions so thanks to everyone!

Just an FYI on the glass beach near the dockyard.

There are now signs on the beach that is is owned by Welco (?) and that the beach is there for everyone's enjoyment but you cannot remove anything from the beach including the "natural" sea glass and can be prosecuted if you are caught.

The beach was not only covered with sea glass but also a lot of other washed up trash like plastic bags, bottles, chunks of wood and there were a lot of biting bugs swarming around us in the few minutes we were there.

I had some sea glass from another beach so didn't pick up any there. But when my beach bag went through the screening they pulled my bag out and took the sea glass. Said they are not allowing anything to come onboard that was picked up on ANY beach. I only had about 2 cups of glass, not a big bag. Not sure if that is a new Bermuda rule or a new RC rule but they had a whole pile of bags of sea glass so mine isn't the only one that was taken. I had been careful to rinse off all the sand because I had read that people were stopped for sand.

I'm sure that some people got their glass onboard without a problem but I guess they are on the look-out for that kind of thing now.

Just an FYI on the glass beach near the dockyard.

There are now signs on the beach that is is owned by Welco (?) and that the beach is there for everyone's enjoyment but you cannot remove anything from the beach including the "natural" sea glass and can be prosecuted if you are caught.

The beach was not only covered with sea glass but also a lot of other washed up trash like plastic bags, bottles, chunks of wood and there were a lot of biting bugs swarming around us in the few minutes we were there.

I had some sea glass from another beach so didn't pick up any there. But when my beach bag went through the screening they pulled my bag out and took the sea glass. Said they are not allowing anything to come onboard that was picked up on ANY beach. I only had about 2 cups of glass, not a big bag. Not sure if that is a new Bermuda rule or a new RC rule but they had a whole pile of bags of sea glass so mine isn't the only one that was taken. I had been careful to rinse off all the sand because I had read that people were stopped for sand.

I'm sure that some people got their glass onboard without a problem but I guess they are on the look-out for that kind of thing now.

thanks Checkard. very disappointing. we leave this Sunday and that was definitely going to be one place for a repeat visit. I just packed my baggies yesterday. :( I didn't notice any biting flies last year or any trash on the beach, so perhaps this new rule has had another undesirable consequence... the buildup of garbage. Oh well. thanks for the heads up.

Rosie

You can always try it. Maybe you will be one of the lucky ones who makes it through the scanner line.

Wish I knew if that was a new RC rule or a Bermuda rule. I would think the people in Bermuda were happy to get rid of their trash.

Wish I knew if that was a new RC rule or a Bermuda rule. I would think the people in Bermuda were happy to get rid of their trash.

Sounds like they want to keep their trash. Maybe we'll keep our money in our pockets so it doesn't litter up their islands. :confused:

Sounds like they want to keep their trash. Maybe we'll keep our money in our pockets so it doesn't litter up their islands. :confused:

Not really.

WEDCO (West End Development Corp) is going to be putting a new housing development on Ireland Island which is where the sea glass beach is located.

There is an article in the Royal Gazette (9/1) that the first step will be to fence off the construction area from the non.

This may be an oversimplification, but it provides the gist of what is happening. The apartments in front of the beach may be demolished, but I'm not too sure on that.

Or I could be completely wrong which won't be the first time.

SBtS

Not really.

WEDCO (West End Development Corp) is going to be putting a new housing development on Ireland Island which is where the sea glass beach is located.

There is an article in the Royal Gazette (9/1) that the first step will be to fence off the construction area from the non.

This may be an oversimplification, but it provides the gist of what is happening. The apartments in front of the beach may be demolished, but I'm not too sure on that.

Or I could be completely wrong which won't be the first time.

SBtS

Hmm, hopefully the beach will still accessible before and after the innovations.

“The location of the proposed fence/ barrier is on the site of the existing Victoria Row units and will separate the construction activities from the existing units and tenant’s activities.”

Its not the cruise ships that made the decision not to allow people with sea glass on the cruise ship..its the Bermuda government as the sea glass is used by locals to make and sell items made with sea glass,

It started out to be ok that the tourists were taken a couple of pieces but then tourists were filling up ziplock bags full. So the government has made it against the law for the sea glass to be taken off the beach... so do note they can stop you with sea glass...

You can always try it. Maybe you will be one of the lucky ones who makes it through the scanner line.

We were on a cruise right before you on the explorer.. 9/30/12 to 11/7/12.....I asked at the information trailer right outside the cruise ship what bus stop do I get off for sea glass beach a a women whom I believe is from Bermuda.. Kinda yelled at me to stay away from the beach "there is no more sea glass left on that beach" which shocked me..... of course because of cruise critic there was sea glass there. We went and got on a bus and we were getting off the first bus stop and the women bus driver asked where I was going. With some hesitation I told her sea glass beach. She told me to stay on the bus and she would drop me off by it. She was very nice. When we got to the beach there was a women who rents a home there getting some sea glass. I just got a small bag, the snack size being selective on my choices. She came up to me and asked if I saw the sign. I told her no. She took me way on the other end of the beach to tell me Monday 10/1/12 it was not there but on 11/4/2012 it was.

Sorry this is long but wanted to let you all know I think it's Bermuda pressuring rccl about passengers taking sea glass.

She the women I met on the beach told me there was a bottle factory at that site many years ago, as a dump. So this is why so much glass in that spot.

Edited by Sea Breeze

We were on a cruise right before you on the explorer.. 9/30/12 to 11/7/12.....I asked at the information trailer right outside the cruise ship what bus stop do I get off for sea glass beach a a women whom I believe is from Bermuda.. Kinda yelled at me to stay away from the beach "there is no more sea glass left on that beach" which shocked me..... of course because of cruise critic there was sea glass there. We went and got on a bus and we were getting off the first bus stop and the women bus driver asked where I was going. With some hesitation I told her sea glass beach. She told me to stay on the bus and she would drop me off by it. She was very nice. When we got to the beach there was a women who rents a home there getting some sea glass. I just got a small bag, the snack size being selective on my choices. She came up to me and asked if I saw the sign. I told her no. She took me way on the other end of the beach to tell me Monday 10/1/12 it was not there but on 11/4/2012 it was.

Sorry this is long but wanted to let you all know I think it's Bermuda pressuring rccl about passengers taking sea glass.

She the women I met on the beach told me there was a bottle factory at that site many years ago, as a dump. So this is why so much glass in that spot.

Thanks for the update. But, are the dates you posted correct? They don't seem right to me.

Did you end up collecting a little sea glass to take home? Did you have any hassles when boarding the ship?

I could understand why Bermuda might want to 'protect' the sea glass. The beach would make a great park to save the sea glass for future generations to see. But, they would have to have strict protections put in place to do that. When we visited the Petrified Forrest National Park in AZ, there were big fines given to anybody caught picking up and taking a piece of petrified wood. But, there were lots of places to buy some for a reasonable price. Bermuda could do something similar. Another thing they could do is to dump quantities of broken colored glass just off-shore. This would enable the glass to be worn down and turned to sea glass in a few years. The sea glass would eventually be washed onshore to replenish the sea glass on the beach.

Thanks for the update. But, are the dates you posted correct? They don't seem right to me.

As for the dates it was a typo.. As I use a I pad it was 9/30/2012 to 10/7/2012,

Did you end up collecting a little sea glass to take home? Did you have any hassles when boarding the ship? We brought back very very little bag I would say 1/2 cup. They ran my glass which was in my tote bag through the x- ray machine.

I could understand why Bermuda might want to 'protect' the sea glass. The beach would make a great park to save the sea glass for future generations to see. But, they would have to have strict protections put in place to do that. When we visited the Petrified Forrest National Park in AZ, there were big fines given to anybody caught picking up and taking a piece of petrified wood. But, there were lots of places to buy some for a reasonable price. Bermuda could do something similar. Another thing they could do is to dump quantities of broken colored glass just off-shore. This would enable the glass to be worn down and turned to sea glass in a few years. The sea glass would eventually be washed onshore to replenish the sea glass on the beach.

It would be hard telling which beach you get the glass so unless they put signs on every beach ?.. We live in Maine we have sea glass beaches but not like bermuda has. But we don't stop people getting sea glass. Or drift wood people bring home drift wood here in Maine as well.

We had no trouble bringing back a small ziplock bag of glass. I think my husband had it stuffed in his pocket. I question what is "natural" sea glass because so much of it looked like recently broken beer bottles - so much of it was brown and green. Many pieces of old white-colored china among the glass as well. There was a gift shop in the Clock Tower Mall that was selling smaller, prettier pieces.

Hi all, i posted earlier.... I live in Bermuda and I was told my a local artist that makes sea glass items for sale... when she was down as Sea Glass beach there were many tourists taking large ziploc bags full of Sea Glass... This sea glass work for her is her lively hood. She survives off of making sea glass jewelery. Its like anything in life... a few bad ones ruin it for everyone... So please PLEAS PLEASE think about it when you go down... that the cruise ship customs... have been told to take the seaglass away from anyone who tries to bring it aboard the cruise ship.

Here's the official warning sign.

IMG_1948.jpg

Just back on the Explorer. Maybe I missed it but I did not see any confiscated sea glass when coming back on the ship, or any warning signs that it was prohibited.

Its not the cruise ships that made the decision not to allow people with sea glass on the cruise ship..its the Bermuda government as the sea glass is used by locals to make and sell items made with sea glass,

It started out to be ok that the tourists were taken a couple of pieces but then tourists were filling up ziplock bags full. So the government has made it against the law for the sea glass to be taken off the beach... so do note they can stop you with sea glass...

When did this happen? Can you post some official notice of the law?

Here's the official warning sign.

IMG_1948.jpg

Just back on the Explorer. Maybe I missed it but I did not see any confiscated sea glass when coming back on the ship, or any warning signs that it was prohibited.

When did this happen? Can you post some official notice of the law?

Hi,

A few very quick comments. We (myself and 2 daughters and son-in-law) visited this past week. Returned home just later today (Sunday, 10-21-12) from a NCL cruise to Bermuda. The sign is accurate and to my knowledge so is the info. provided. Two local ladies told us exactly how to get there - though we had the posted directions, pictures, etc. They were very kind and nice (we only had to go down the road 50 yds. so we had found it anyway, but they provided a few more specifics). There is a TON of glass. We had a ball there for about a 1/2 hour for a sunset > spectacular photos! Hard to tell real sea glass from broken bottles - as noted previously. On scooters it took us 5 minutes to get there from the ship. We did not take any glass - just some great pictures. When it started to get dark we left - also there were some men that started coming around such that we knew it best to leave :) But it is a nice little place to visit, plenty of photo opps., great sunset shots and some others. Exhausted so off to bed.

Ray

As far as I am aware, there isn't any legislation in place that that bans people from taking sea glass from the beaches (or else the sea glass jewelers wouldn't still be in business), however, the beach is the property of WEDCO (the Government quango that runs the Dockyard area) so they have a say as to whether or not the sea glass should be removed from their property (as cruiseclues clarified).

Also, if it is unlawful for anyone to remove sea glass from Sea Glass Beach, it includes the residents of Bermuda as well, not just the visitors from the cruise ships (so the sea glass jewelers cannot use Sea Glass Beach as their source for jewelery making supplies either).

I can see why they would post the sign - think about it, we get 2-3 cruise ships a week from May through October, with each ship carrying approx 3,000 pax, plus, we have the local hobby jewelers using the sea glass for their jewelery. If each person went to the beach and took a "small baggie" of sea glass, the beach would be depleted pretty quickly.

Not saying I agree with the sign, however, it is a unique feature for a beach to have that much sea glass on it, especially here in Bermuda, so I imagine they want to preserve it for many years to come.

So, moral of the story is, visit Sea Glass Beach, marvel at the amounts of sea glass there, enjoy the sound of the water running over the sea glass, have a good chat with the guy that hangs around down there and ensure that, when you leave, all you are taking with you is pictures.

As far as I am aware, there isn't any legislation in place that that bans people from taking sea glass from the beaches (or else the sea glass jewelers wouldn't still be in business), however, the beach is the property of WEDCO (the Government quango that runs the Dockyard area) so they have a say as to whether or not the sea glass should be removed from their property (as cruiseclues clarified).

Also, if it is unlawful for anyone to remove sea glass from Sea Glass Beach, it includes the residents of Bermuda as well, not just the visitors from the cruise ships (so the sea glass jewelers cannot use Sea Glass Beach as their source for jewelery making supplies either).

I can see why they would post the sign - think about it, we get 2-3 cruise ships a week from May through October, with each ship carrying approx 3,000 pax, plus, we have the local hobby jewelers using the sea glass for their jewelery. If each person went to the beach and took a "small baggie" of sea glass, the beach would be depleted pretty quickly.

Not saying I agree with the sign, however, it is a unique feature for a beach to have that much sea glass on it, especially here in Bermuda, so I imagine they want to preserve it for many years to come.

So, moral of the story is, visit Sea Glass Beach, marvel at the amounts of sea glass there, enjoy the sound of the water running over the sea glass, have a good chat with the guy that hangs around down there and ensure that, when you leave, all you are taking with you is pictures.

Well put....Just remember it was the greedy ones that ruined it for everyone else....... When people are scene taking Baggies full of the seas glass, it showed greediness........ if people kept to taking 1 or 2 pieces everything would have been OK...

The Property of is the key to unlawful. Stealing someone's property IS against the law (unlawful). The sign doesn't say there is a Bermuda law about taking the glass.

My sea glass was not from the sea glass beach. I did not have a big baggie full, maybe 15 - 18 pieces. The cruise line did not ask me where I got it, they just said they were not allowing anything picked up on any beach to be brought back onboard.

If Wedco was so concerned about sea glass being depleted, they could very easily and relatively cheaply get a few tons of broken glass bottles and dump them a bit offshore. After a few years, the broken glass would be worn down by tidal/wave action and eventually washed up onto the beach.