Dockyard Sea Glass Beach - the easy way!

32N64W

If Wedco was so concerned about sea glass being depleted, they could very easily and relatively cheaply get a few tons of broken glass bottles and dump them a bit offshore. After a few years, the broken glass would be worn down by tidal/wave action and eventually washed up onto the beach.

While this is a nice idea, I don't think polluting the ocean on the off chance the glass will end up as sea glass and be deposited conveniently at Sea Glass Beach is something WEDCO wants to be known for...ocean currents are rather unpredictable.

While this is a nice idea, I don't think polluting the ocean on the off chance the glass will end up as sea glass and be deposited conveniently at Sea Glass Beach is something WEDCO wants to be known for...ocean currents are rather unpredictable.

Agreed that the ocean currents are unpredictable.... But, glass is inert. It is not going to pollute anything. The sea glass that is now on the beach got washed in previously after getting worn down by the currents/waves. No reason to think that it would not happen again the same way.

How much do they charge for it? I guess if local vendors can sell it then it seems that it is only illegal for non-Bermudians to " steal " the beach glass?
They were selling it by size: $1 for a small piece, about the size of a dime and $2 or $3 for larger pieces, about the size of a U.S. quarter.

I dont mind buying crafts and even sea glass from the sellers as that is how they make a living, but a dollar for a small piece of glass that is picked up off the ground seems pretty exorbitant to me. I was looking forward to visiting sea glass beach next year, but not not sure it is a good idea anymore ( and not just because to pick up a piece of seaglass would be grounds to be called a thief either ) maybe I am being too sensitive, but I would not want to be anywhere that there are those who would consider me a potential crook.:(

• 4 weeks later...
Here's the official warning sign.

IMG_1948.jpg

Just back on the Explorer. Maybe I missed it but I did not see any confiscated sea glass when coming back on the ship, or any warning signs that it was prohibited.

When did this happen? Can you post some official notice of the law?

That sign is amazing. Natural Sea Glass.....LOL

That sign is amazing. Natural Sea Glass.....LOL

Yes, I thought that was quite humorous as well as a bit stupid. When did the sea start producing glass?:D They should have worded the sign differently.

I wish the old fellow who seems to be the unofficial glass beach ambassador had been around when we were there to get his take on the whole thing.

Yes, I thought that was quite humorous as well as a bit stupid. When did the sea start producing glass?:D They should have worded the sign differently.

I wish the old fellow who seems to be the unofficial glass beach ambassador had been around when we were there to get his take on the whole thing.

He was there when I went. I asked if this was the sea glass beach and he told me the way. He did not asy anything about the sign. I did not see it until I was down by the water. [there are 2 signs] He was not there whne I left --so, I could not ask about the new restrictions.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All,

Following the unbelievably huge success of my original post about the Dockyard Walking Adventure with Sea Glass, but spotting that most people ONLY want to go to the beach, here's an updated post with better pics and a traffic-free route.

This will take about twenty to twenty five minutes to walk.

Dockyard-map-copy.jpg

As you leave the Dockyard, turn left onto Freeport Drive and look at the ship insignias painted on the walls, dating from when the Dockyard was a Navy base.

When you cross the bridge at the exit from the Dockyard area, take the right hand road - Cochrane Road.

Continue down this road. Eventually it turns sharp left and meets back up with the main road, but just before it does, there is a stand of trees with big roots. Take the little road to the right here.

Just a little way along this road is a area of grass on the right with a shelter, table and bench.

The steps down to the beach are here. There are about twenty steps.

Here's the route in pictures...

WALK-PIC.jpg

Happy Sea Glass hunting!

32N64W

I wanted to let you know that this was amazingly great and helpful! I printed it out. We found it last month while on our cruise (self, 2 daughters, son-in-law) and it was totally empty of other people! We had a total blast there, got some truly AMAZING photos of the sunset and us horsing around. Soooooo, thanks so much. It was one hour of a truly sweet time. As we had scooters we were there in 5 minutes then off...much appreciation!!!

Ray

• 1 month later...
How much do they charge for it? I guess if local vendors can sell it then it seems that it is only illegal for non-Bermudians to " steal " the beach glass?

I don't understand people being accused of stealing 'ALL' the sea glass!! There is tons of sea glass up to 6 to 7 inches if not more in some places. The beach makes a tinkling sound as the waves come in. Are we talking about the Kings Wharf Seaglass Beach or the one in St. George?? We were there in September and I was amazed at all the glass!!!!

Edited by TomAndJane

I don't understand people being accused of stealing 'ALL' the sea glass!! There is tons of sea glass up to 6 to 7 inches if not more in some places. The beach makes a tinkling sound as the waves come in. Are we talking about the Kings Wharf Seaglass Beach or the one in St. George?? We were there in September and I was amazed at all the glass!!!!

Since WEDCO has purchased the land that includes the sea glass beach near the Dockyard (or as you referred to it as the Kings Wharf Seaglass Beach) can't WEDCO restrict passage on their land or removal of any items found on their land?

TTBOMK, sea glass can still be collected at Alexandra Battery Beach, St George.

Picture of sign posted by iheartbda:

IMG_1948.jpg

SBtS

We've gone to the dockside glass beach at Black Bay and never had a problem. Has anyone else on other cruises other than RCCL had seaglass confiscated? If there isn't a sign at the other St. Georges battery beach prohibiting "borrowing" the sea glass then what's the harm?

"said they were not allowing anything picked up on any beach to be brought back onboard." is pretty general what about clothes or shoes or... well you get the idea.

How did they find it in the first place ? If a person had it in their pocket I can't figure out how they would know.

Edited by GeneD

"said they were not allowing anything picked up on any beach to be brought back onboard." is pretty general what about clothes or shoes or... well you get the idea.

How did they find it in the first place ? If a person had it in their pocket I can't figure out how they would know.

I'm the one that posted that. We did not have the sea glass in our pockets, we had it in a beach bag tote. When my bag went through the scanner they pulled me aside and said I needed to remove the sea glass. I asked why I had to take it out and that is when they made the comment about not allowing anything from the beaches to be brought back on board. I think they were taking about sea glass, coral, shells, sand, etc. They did not ask if I got it at the sea glass beach (which I did not), just said it wasn't allowed to be brought on board.

If a person purchases seaglass from a vendor would this seaglass also be subject to confiscation? I wonder if a scanner person on RCCL didn't want a souvenier for themselves without doing the work!

I still would like to know if anyone recently took seaglass aboard another cruisline and what the result was.

If a person purchases seaglass from a vendor would this seaglass also be subject to confiscation? I wonder if a scanner person on RCCL didn't want a souvenier for themselves without doing the work!

I still would like to know if anyone recently took seaglass aboard another cruisline and what the result was.

OK, we visited Bermuda in October, 2012. 7 nights out of NY. The Sea Glass beach just 5 minutes from King's Wharf is where we went - NOT the other beach. Drove our scooters there and back. We sailed on the *NCL Star*. My daughter wanted a few pieces for her children, my grandchildren. Once back to the ship, we went thru security - no one said a single word, nor seemed to care. Has anyone been to this beach? There is a TON of glass there - the very VAST majority is BROKEN BOTTLE GLASSS, NOT SEA GLASS. And that's a fact...

Ray

OK, we visited Bermuda in October, 2012. 7 nights out of NY. The Sea Glass beach just 5 minutes from King's Wharf is where we went - NOT the other beach. Drove our scooters there and back. We sailed on the *NCL Star*. My daughter wanted a few pieces for her children, my grandchildren. Once back to the ship, we went thru security - no one said a single word, nor seemed to care. Has anyone been to this beach? There is a TON of glass there - the very VAST majority is BROKEN BOTTLE GLASSS, NOT SEA GLASS. And that's a fact...

Ray

Everyone is talking about the same glass beach. The start of this thread was directions to get there, complete with pictures.;)

What is sea glass if it's not broken bottles that have been "sanded" smooth by the action of the sand and waves?:confused:

Edited by iheartbda

Everyone is talking about the same glass beach. The start of this thread was directions to get there, complete with pictures.;)

What is sea glass if it's not broken bottles that have been "sanded" smooth by the action of the sand and waves?:confused:

My apologies to all, I think that I was getting a tad 'nutty' with all of the posts about removing sea glass, etc. and all of the seemingly 'redundant' posts, at least to me. Going back and reading, I get it :-) I am truly sorry :-( Yes, that is, to my knowledge, exactly what sea glass is :-) As noted previously, the map and photos were perfect (!) - we had no trouble locating it, were the only ones there, in fact. Perfect timing. As it got darker, it started to get a bit 'loud' back up the road a bit and thus I told the 3 kids that we needed to move on...

As for WEDCO and the different cruise lines, I have been on 4 cruise lines but only NCL to this specific beach. And, we encountered no problems whatsoever. Now, no guarantees - someone else could go on NCL, different time, and maybe have issues? No clue? We experienced no problems and took approx. 1/2 dozen pieces. Again, please accept my apologies which in hindsight sounds like a testy response - that was not my intent. Maybe this was helpful - maybe not. I cannot speak for / about RCI and this issue...when I return in 10-13 on RCI...I might be better able to provide a different response. Thanks!

Ray

• 3 months later...
Shadow90, no harm, no foul.:)

We were on Royal Caribbean in Oct. and I saw no one having anything confiscated nor did I see any that had been confiscated. However, others on Royal reported both things...go figure.

Thanks iheartbda,

Well, I am going back this coming October on RCI (Explorer) and will use the same map (just in case) :-) and can report back after that 'excursion.' Did I previously note that if one goes at sunset that the photos are absolutely stunning from there?? :-)

Thanks, again!

Ray

Thanks iheartbda,

Well, I am going back this coming October on RCI (Explorer) and will use the same map (just in case) :-) and can report back after that 'excursion.' Did I previously note that if one goes at sunset that the photos are absolutely stunning from there?? :-)

Thanks, again!

Ray

No Bermuda for us this year, we're headed up your way.:)

No Bermuda for us this year, we're headed up your way.:)

Sounds great...my TA has been trying to get me to do a Fall Colors cruise thru New England / Canada for some time now. I bet that it's gorgeous and fun - the colors sure are pretty in the Fall. I will try to do one next year... :-)

Ray

Here's the official warning sign.

IMG_1948.jpg

Just back on the Explorer. Maybe I missed it but I did not see any confiscated sea glass when coming back on the ship, or any warning signs that it was prohibited.

When did this happen? Can you post some official notice of the law?

I saw a video with a women allowd to take the glass...this don't look like

The same beach I saw on u tube there were no signs on the video , I will see when I get there

I saw a video with a women allowd to take the glass...this don't look like

The same beach I saw on u tube there were no signs on the video , I will see when I get there

Can you post the Youtube link? The video could have been taken prior to posting the signs. I highly doubt the signs have been removed.

There is another glass beach that, as far as anyone knows right now, have no signs.

Can you post the Youtube link? The video could have been taken prior to posting the signs. I highly doubt the signs have been removed.

There is another glass beach that, as far as anyone knows right now, have no signs.

I was at the beach near dockyard on Friday. There are signs that say it is "unlawful", but someoe picked off the "un" and it looks like it says "lawful".

I wish everyone would stop taking glass.....there is basicaly nothing left compared to other years. At one time you could not even see the sand at that beach because it was covered inglass......

People who took multiple gallon ziplock bags of it....I hope you enjoy it.....because it will never replenish to the point that it was when this thread was originally posted.

To go and take a few pieces is one thing...but to fill bags is ridiculous....and not its basically gone. Same as the shells in Florida........people had to take bags and bags of them and now they are gone........

Most products that were in glass bottles in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's are now in plastic bottles and cans..... so no new gla

Maybe someday there will be a "Beach Plastic" beach.......thats is basically what is there now...colorox bottle lids, soda bottle lids, and plastic applicators for feminine products.....pretty sad.......

I was at the beach near dockyard on Friday. There are signs that say it is "unlawful", but someoe picked off the "un" and it looks like it says "lawful".

I wish everyone would stop taking glass.....there is basicaly nothing left compared to other years. At one time you could not even see the sand at that beach because it was covered inglass......

People who took multiple gallon ziplock bags of it....I hope you enjoy it.....because it will never replenish to the point that it was when this thread was originally posted.

To go and take a few pieces is one thing...but to fill bags is ridiculous....and not its basically gone. Same as the shells in Florida........people had to take bags and bags of them and now they are gone........

Most products that were in glass bottles in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's are now in plastic bottles and cans..... so no new gla

Maybe someday there will be a "Beach Plastic" beach.......thats is basically what is there now...colorox bottle lids, soda bottle lids, and plastic applicators for feminine products.....pretty sad.......

It's unfortunate that someone was rude enought to deface a sign.:(

I certainly do not condone people taking multiple gallon bags of the glass. I never saw anyone doing that or filling buckets that has also been alledged.

If, as you say, there is basically nothing left, a lot sure disappeared between Oct. and May when it's not even tourist season.

I did not notice there being any less in Oct. than in previous years, we've been going to Bermuda every year for the last umpteen years. What is on the beach at any one time can depend on what the tides have brought in or washed back out. This picture is also from this past Oct.

IMG_1949.jpg