Dockyard Sea Glass Beach - the easy way!

32N64W

When I took the picture I was trying to come up with a way to show how deep the glass was but was unable to figure out a way.

I don't quite understand your comment about no more shells on the Florida beaches. Is there no more sea life producing shells?

When I took the picture I was trying to come up with a way to show how deep the glass was but was unable to figure out a way.

I don't quite understand your comment about no more shells on the Florida beaches. Is there no more sea life producing shells?

Sea life can not produce shells at the rate shells were taken from the beach in the last half of the 20th Century. Post industrial revolution travel patterns brought millions of people to the shores of the country and accross the world that never would have had the opportunity to travel to the shores and collect shells. I remember people taking huge orange and grapefruit bags full of shells off the beaches as a child. Many of those shells take years to form, and some of the more beautiful shells, like the Queen Conch take 20-30 years to form......

So yes, marine life still make shells, they just don't make them fast 4enough to keep up with the rate at which people take them.

That is why it is illegal to remove shells from many places, and we are not supposed to bring shells on cruise ships and people have their shells taken from them.

It's unfortunate that someone was rude enought to deface a sign.:(

I certainly do not condone people taking multiple gallon bags of the glass. I never saw anyone doing that or filling buckets that has also been alledged.

If, as you say, there is basically nothing left, a lot sure disappeared between Oct. and May when it's not even tourist season.

I did not notice there being any less in Oct. than in previous years, we've been going to Bermuda every year for the last umpteen years. What is on the beach at any one time can depend on what the tides have brought in or washed back out. This picture is also from this past Oct.

IMG_1949.jpg

Even if everyone took one sandwich baggy full, it would disappear very quickly. What takes decades to create could be gone in one summer.

Robin

Even if everyone took one sandwich baggy full, it would disappear very quickly. What takes decades to create could be gone in one summer.

Robin

If you're thinking that I feel it's OK to take, I don't.

I posted the picture in response to another saying there was basically nothing left compared to other years.

We loved walking over to Sea Glass Beach last year and plan to do so this summer as well!

But seriously, what can you do with a ziplock full of seaglass? Once you get home, it probably gets thrown in a drawer somewhere and forgotten! I didn't take any, but I looked at tons of pieces - so interesting the shapes of it!! My husband took a handful and I bet he doesn't even know where it is right now!

Leave it there for everyone else to look & enjoy!

Edited by royal girl

I saw an article in the Royal Gazette about a new beach opening up adjacent to Glass Beach. Here is a portion of the article. They say they still do not want tourists taking any of the sea glass.

"The new Black Bay Beach & Park concession has opened for business at Dockyard, providing another attraction for the thousands of cruise passengers in the area.

Black Bay, owned by entrepreneur Vic Ball, will offer snorkelling around the scenic chain of beaches, and will also rent hammocks, inflatables, chairs and umbrellas. Food and drinks will also be available.

Black Bay, an alternative to Snorkel Park, adjoins Sea Glass Beach just before the main entrance to the Dockyard.

But Mr Ball said he will be sure to request visitors don’t take the natural sea glass."

• 2 months later...

SBTS answered my question in another thread...Black Bay is showing up as Lack Bay on the map...I thought it was closer to the Dockyard than Sea Glass, but actually is a bit further down the road.

Thanks again SBTS!

Lauri

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Walked to Sea Glass Beach last Sunday, 9/15/13. Wonderful directions - Thank You.

Absolutely no traffic on your route - I think a few people were afraid of traffic on the narrow roads.

Arrived a few minutes before sunset. Sunset was nice but the clouds opposite the sun turned a magnificent pinkish orange color that was spectacular.

• 1 year later...

We were on our way to the beach via ferry to Dockyard in Bermuda, I was sitting beside a local who was obviously going to Dockyard for work, he asked me what we were looking for, I said Sea Glass Beach, it turns out that it was 32N64W Cool Cruiser himself, the local who posted the excellent directions to the beach, I will say I was over the moon when I saw the beach, and yes the sign is still there, we did not take that much, I was being very fussy on our takings, but I did take a wonderful pic of what the locals look at each day and it is wonderful. I do understand that a lot of the glass has gone, I do not think it is from pickers but rather it is the ocean that has taken it back out again.

Thank You for the excellent directions and a wonderful sight to seefromus@accesswave.ca

DSCN4695resized.jpg.e01cddf26a7587b81b7693f05acbca5d.jpg

Edited by artisianswindow
Location not input

We were on our way to the beach via ferry to Dockyard in Bermuda, I was sitting beside a local who was obviously going to Dockyard for work, he asked me what we were looking for, I said Sea Glass Beach, it turns out that it was 32N64W Cool Cruiser himself, the local who posted the excellent directions to the beach, I will say I was over the moon when I saw the beach, and yes the sign is still there, we did not take that much, I was being very fussy on our takings, but I did take a wonderful pic of what the locals look at each day and it is wonderful. I do understand that a lot of the glass has gone, I do not think it is from pickers but rather it is the ocean that has taken it back out again.

Thank You for the excellent directions and a wonderful sight to seefromus@accesswave.ca

I am soooooo jealous that you actually met 32N64W. However, you say the sign is still there but you didn't take that much because you were being fussy?:confused::(

• 2 months later...

Everyone talks about going to sea glass beach for the sunset but yet when I try to google pictures of it to see what makes it so unique, I can't find anything. Anyone want to enlighten me as to why this is a great place to watch the sunset?

How do I find out what time the sunset is when I'm going in order to time it right? Is it safe to be out and catching the bus back to the ship after dark in this area?

Everyone talks about going to sea glass beach for the sunset but yet when I try to google pictures of it to see what makes it so unique, I can't find anything. Anyone want to enlighten me as to why this is a great place to watch the sunset?

How do I find out what time the sunset is when I'm going in order to time it right? Is it safe to be out and catching the bus back to the ship after dark in this area?

Google your dates for the times of sunset.

Hello,

I have not posted any photos on here of the sunset, but I do have many from exactly this spot, and they are gorgeous. You are looking straight over the water as the sun sets - it's pretty spectacular, IMHO. As for the bus, I am not so sure??? I was with 4 other adults, and we were on mopeds. As soon as the sun set - we left and headed back to the ship. Just for mere 'safety' I would recommend being with someone / others if you're going for the sunset. Just my opinion. The sunrise and sunsets are also listed everyday on your Freestyle Daily, as I recall...? Good Luck!

Ray

Hello,

I have not posted any photos on here of the sunset, but I do have many from exactly this spot, and they are gorgeous. You are looking straight over the water as the sun sets - it's pretty spectacular, IMHO. As for the bus, I am not so sure??? I was with 4 other adults, and we were on mopeds. As soon as the sun set - we left and headed back to the ship. Just for mere 'safety' I would recommend being with someone / others if you're going for the sunset. Just my opinion. The sunrise and sunsets are also listed everyday on your Freestyle Daily, as I recall...? Good Luck!

Ray

Thanks for the information. I really wish I could see some of these spectacular sunset pictures people talk about. :)

We will be a huge group of 5 adults and 3 kids (well, huge for us) so hopefully we'll be ok. :)

I would love to hear others opinions.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm sorry..but did I miss the directions? Really would love to go here, but having a hard time finding any threads on it [emoji16] thanks!

It's the first post in this thread, made almost 4 years ago. Your post is #268. You're probably not looking back to the beginning of the thread if you can't find it.

Edited by njhorseman

Is it in the link? I can't open it...maybe I need to access it from a computer.

You should just be able to click on the link for the thread. That should open the first post. If it doesn't there must be some problem with the device you're using.

• 2 weeks later...

We used these directions back in 2011 and they were great. I still have them printed off. Is it true that the wall with all the naval insignias is now gone? That was actually one of my favorite parts of the walk. Plan on doing this again when we are in Bermuda June 15t/16th. Nice little adventure.