Entertainment onboard Marina

ActiveTraveler

Oceania Cruises claims to have many entertainment opportunities onboard, but I can count options they named on one hand and there are not details about any of them except the concerts are outdoors. Can someone tell me what other entertainment is or will be on the Marina and describe them in a little detail? I am not a comedian or movie person and am looking for music, dancing, acrobatics, and juggling.

They had a well above average (in fact outstanding) group of singers and dancers that had 3 (or 4?) different shows - some of the best we've seen at sea on any ship.

I don't know if they are still there or they might have a new group (if so, hopefully as good as the previous one).

Only bad thing is that the shows are late - 9:30 or 9:45 PM and the "lounge" is not a very comfortable place to do anything.

They also have a classical quartet that was quite good (at tea and evenings in the grand bar area).

The other entertainers were up and down. They also had evening musical trivia games.

We had a Hungarian juggler on Regatta one year ...he was very good ;)

Most of the shows are in the lounge ...they did have a movie outside on the deck

Do not recall any outdoor concerts on our cruise

You just never know what Oceania has in store for any cruise other than the usual Oceania entertainment team

Lyn

They had a well above average (in fact outstanding) group of singers and dancers that had 3 (or 4?) different shows - some of the best we've seen at sea on any ship.

I don't know if they are still there or they might have a new group (if so, hopefully as good as the previous one).

Only bad thing is that the shows are late - 9:30 or 9:45 PM and the "lounge" is not a very comfortable place to do anything.

They also have a classical quartet that was quite good (at tea and evenings in the grand bar area).

The other entertainers were up and down. They also had evening musical trivia games.

4 shows with the same performers was overexposure. Chris did a magnificent job singing opera in Con Molto, but the other young man was very irritating with his overly dramatic performances.

4 shows with the same performers was overexposure. Chris did a magnificent job singing opera in Con Molto, but the other young man was very irritating with his overly dramatic performances.

We obviously do not agree about "overexposure". We did 3 segments and went to just about every show; seeing each show only once would not be overexposure, IMO. The themes and the genre (costumes, music, choreography) are different for each show so it is like seeing 4 different "musicals" (kind of). You either like the performers or you don't.

Chris was not part of "our" company - it seems that they have changed performers.

Obviously, to each his/her own :) - some people never go to the shows at all and that's OK too.

We obviously do not agree about "overexposure". We did 3 segments and went to just about every show; seeing each show only once would not be overexposure, IMO. The themes and the genre (costumes, music, choreography) are different for each show so it is like seeing 4 different "musicals" (kind of). You either like the performers or you don't.

Chris was not part of "our" company - it seems that they have changed performers.

Obviously, to each his/her own :) - some people never go to the shows at all and that's OK too.

My husband & I both like musicals and we thoroughly enjoyed the singers and dancers on Marina. Each performance was a different theme and the costumes were great! We all have different tastes and opinions and that is okay, too! :D

Here's what I wrote in my Marina review of my June 11 Baltic Treasures cruise regarding entertainment:

"I am delighted to report that the entertainment at the evening show in the Marina Lounge exhibited a vast improvement over our prior cruise. Clearly, Oceania has put some thought and money into what many considered its biggest weakness, and that has paid off. The group of four singers and four dancers who performed for us three times was enthusiastic with a nice stage presence, with one of the men exhibiting an absolutely fabulous voice. We also enjoyed the talented Polish classical pianist, whose comments and program were very engaging, as well as the Polish gypsy violinist, who entertained us on a prior cruise. A nice addition was British magician and his dancer wife, Dez and Cherry, who were so charming, amusing and just plain fun in both their shows. We also enjoyed the string quartet who played at tea and around mealtimes."

Here's what I wrote in my Marina review of my June 11 Baltic Treasures cruise regarding entertainment:

"I am delighted to report that the entertainment at the evening show in the Marina Lounge exhibited a vast improvement over our prior cruise. Clearly, Oceania has put some thought and money into what many considered its biggest weakness, and that has paid off. The group of four singers and four dancers who performed for us three times was enthusiastic with a nice stage presence, with one of the men exhibiting an absolutely fabulous voice. We also enjoyed the talented Polish classical pianist, whose comments and program were very engaging, as well as the Polish gypsy violinist, who entertained us on a prior cruise. A nice addition was British magician and his dancer wife, Dez and Cherry, who were so charming, amusing and just plain fun in both their shows. We also enjoyed the string quartet who played at tea and around mealtimes."

Dez and Cherry were okay for the first show. 2 additional shows with them were incrementally worse. Dez' jokes became increasingly lame. Cherry was in remarkable condition, but her dancing was not good entertainment.

During the course of the Route of the Vikings cruise the entertainment, with a few exceptions, was the weakest part of the experience.

The 8 young dancers and singers gave a fair if rather "high-school" quality performance, the Expat Russian pianist was excellent but only one evening performance. The rest of the offerings were IMHO poor to disgusting.

It is about time O got rid of the squeaky, often off - key and overdressed string quartet.

The placement of the pianist in the lounge, on the Marina, hidden and distant from the guests is another problem that needs to be addressed.

I guess O cannot please " all of the people , all of the time," but I believe that their talent scouts need to be replaced.

"

Luckily, going to the shows is optional, not mandatory. If I had to see Des and Cherry one more time, I would have considered jumping overboard. We had a running joke that they were onboard to make the guests beg for less entertainment. A movie, any movie at all, would have been a delightful upgrade. Alas, if you wanted a movie- it was DVD time in the cabin or sitting on deck in 50 degree weather. Oh well, the fabulous food is our entertainment, much to the chagrin of our waistlines.

Fyi

The current issue of Conde Nast Traveler has an article called "New Cruise Ships Tested"(a review of 8 of the"best new ships").

The Marina was labeled "Sophisticated, Stylish, Relaxed" and generally got a wonderful, indeed, glowing review. For each ship, there is a section "Could've Done Without." Here is what the reviewer said about Marina

. . . ."The lousy show -- a stale medley of songs from a certain era or along a certain theme, sung by a troupe of over-costumed singers/dancers -- it will turn off anyone accustomed to sophisticated Broadway fare."

Fyi

The current issue of Conde Nast Traveler has an article called "New Cruise Ships Tested"(a review of 8 of the"best new ships").

The Marina was labeled "Sophisticated, Stylish, Relaxed" and generally got a wonderful, indeed, glowing review. For each ship, there is a section "Could've Done Without." Here is what the reviewer said about Marina

. . . ."The lousy show -- a stale medley of songs from a certain era or along a certain theme, sung by a troupe of over-costumed singers/dancers -- it will turn off anyone accustomed to sophisticated Broadway fare."

Mr Del Rio:

When are you going to address this concern? No, we don't cruise O for the entertainment but you need to do something about the concern expressed by pax and now travel writers.

It always amuses me when people come aboard a cruise ship expecting Broadway level entertainment. There is a reason most of these singers and dancers are on a ship and not on Broadway. That said, there have been a couple of notable exceptions but only in guest artists, i.e. Dale Kristien on the Regatta recently. She was top drawer.

It always amuses me when people come aboard a cruise ship expecting Broadway level entertainment. There is a reason most of these singers and dancers are on a ship and not on Broadway. That said, there have been a couple of notable exceptions but only in guest artists, i.e. Dale Kristien on the Regatta recently. She was top drawer.

It is amusing if sailing on Oceania.

I guess you have never sailed Celebrity. I have seen some performers and shows that are near Broadway calibre. That's one of the reasons I sail Celebrity from time to time -- I really enjoy the entertainment.

I understand that on some of the lines I would never sail on there is some great entertainment as well (some even have productions of Broadway shows)-- just not enough to make up for all the other stuff that would not appeal to me.

On O I expect nothing in the way of entertainment and I usually get it! But I love other things about the line.

If SS and Seaborne, on ships much smaller than "O" can provide excellent talent why can't "O?"

There is a vast difference between Broadway quality entertainment and the Oceania entertainment. What I think people are asking for is something in between.

It always amuses me when people come aboard a cruise ship expecting Broadway level entertainment. There is a reason most of these singers and dancers are on a ship and not on Broadway...

We were on the RCCL Allure of the Seas in January...First night, we went to their production of the musical "Chicago"...After the show, just about everyone was saying "WOW!" The show WAS "Broadway quality"...Of course, we found out that most of the cast had been recruited from the Broadway production or from the National Touring production of the show...

Most of the rest of the entertainment on that ship was of incredible quality as well...

Of course, they put together these shows for 6,000 passengers, not 700 or 1,250...The facilities were incredible, but, again, you've got the size of a 222,000 gross ton ship to deal with, not 30,000 or 65,000 gross tons...

So, I do not expect that level of entertainment on Oceania...

But the question is one of what is REASONABLE to expect...

I would expect more on Marina than we've become accustomed to on Nautica...because, with a larger, newly designed ship, they've been able to build a "dedicated" showroom...not the facility one can build on the Allure of the Seas, but still, better than they had to work with on the R-ships...

Now, even discounting that you cannot stage the "production" shows one has on larger ships, one still has the facility to put on decent entertainment...

A comedian, a magician, an impressionist, a singer, etc. don't require massive sets and costume changes and back-up troupes...If you are paying one of these, then it comes down to there being good ones and bad ones...some performers put on better shows than others...FIND THE GOOD ONES...

The other thing we've noticed is that, sailing long cruises on other lines, they tend NOT to repeat performers...Say you are on a 14 night Baltic cruise, an act may come on board at the start, do one show, then leave the ship in Stockholm and a different act may board there, do one show and depart in Copenhagen...I assume that, with cruise lines operating several ships in a region, they can employ that performer, but then move him from ship to ship to ship over that 14 day stretch...I assume Oceania does not have as much flexibility...But it is a negative...You end up with the same performer doing as many as 4 shows on a long cruise...and it gets old...

I do know that entertainment is not the prime attraction to Oceania...and that not everyone even attends the shows...BUT, you are sort of confined to the ship each night and, for many of us, it's just a question of having something to do...After dinner, there really aren't a lot of choices...Some of us don't gamble...and we're not ready to go back to our cabin for the night...So, the show is the major option...It would be nice if it were somewhat worthwhile and not just an afterthought...

We were on the RCCL Allure of the Seas in January...First night, we went to their production of the musical "Chicago"...After the show, just about everyone was saying "WOW!" The show WAS "Broadway quality"...Of course, we found out that most of the cast had been recruited from the Broadway production or from the National Touring production of the show...

Most of the rest of the entertainment on that ship was of incredible quality as well...

Of course, they put together these shows for 6,000 passengers, not 700 or 1,250...The facilities were incredible, but, again, you've got the size of a 222,000 gross ton ship to deal with, not 30,000 or 65,000 gross tons...

So, I do not expect that level of entertainment on Oceania...

But the question is one of what is REASONABLE to expect...

I would expect more on Marina than we've become accustomed to on Nautica...because, with a larger, newly designed ship, they've been able to build a "dedicated" showroom...not the facility one can build on the Allure of the Seas, but still, better than they had to work with on the R-ships...

Now, even discounting that you cannot stage the "production" shows one has on larger ships, one still has the facility to put on decent entertainment...

A comedian, a magician, an impressionist, a singer, etc. don't require massive sets and costume changes and back-up troupes...If you are paying one of these, then it comes down to there being good ones and bad ones...some performers put on better shows than others...FIND THE GOOD ONES...

The other thing we've noticed is that, sailing long cruises on other lines, they tend NOT to repeat performers...Say you are on a 14 night Baltic cruise, an act may come on board at the start, do one show, then leave the ship in Stockholm and a different act may board there, do one show and depart in Copenhagen...I assume that, with cruise lines operating several ships in a region, they can employ that performer, but then move him from ship to ship to ship over that 14 day stretch...I assume Oceania does not have as much flexibility...But it is a negative...You end up with the same performer doing as many as 4 shows on a long cruise...and it gets old...

I do know that entertainment is not the prime attraction to Oceania...and that not everyone even attends the shows...BUT, you are sort of confined to the ship each night and, for many of us, it's just a question of having something to do...After dinner, there really aren't a lot of choices...Some of us don't gamble...and we're not ready to go back to our cabin for the night...So, the show is the major option...It would be nice if it were somewhat worthwhile and not just an afterthought...

Hey! Steve:

I agree with your posting entirely. The problem with "O" is that the quality of the performers is, generally speaking, so darn poor.

3rd rate vaudeville acts from Poland are not what the, again, generally speaking, sophisticated pax expect. Like you we have experienced other luxury ships and in may instances have been thrilled with their offerings but "O" continues to disappoint in that department.

To many on a cruise, after a wonderful meal, good company with positive conversation, some quality entertainment is, "the end of a perfect day." Why spoil that experience with a negative entertainment experience?

BruinSteve's post is right on the money.

By the way Regent is having a Broadway cruise with some top notch Broadway talent. Maybe O can get some of that!!!!

What you have mostly on O is people hired to be assistant cruise directors or activity directors or bartenders who "happen" to sing or entertain. Their entertainment skills are not the reason for their being hired and it shows.

Exactly!

If SS and Seaborne, on ships much smaller than "O" can provide excellent talent why can't "O?"

We have spent over 50 days on several Silversea cruises and never saw a better show than we saw on the Marina (segments 3,5 & 6) - I am talking about the Marina singers & dancers.

Obviously, you had better luck (on the Silversea) and worse luck (on Oceania) than we did; or else our tastes are very different :).

Personally, I am more upset about having only one show that is rather late as we are early diners and it makes for a longish wait - especially if you have an early morning the next day.

We have a Seabourn cruise coming up - I am interested to see how their entertainment (and the entire overall cruise experience) measures up to the competition.

Some of the performers were good others not so good - I found that to be true on just about any cruise we have been on.

As always, YMMV :)

Maybe, just maybe, if Oceania hired top shelf entertainment our cruise prices would go even higher? After all, top talent demands top $$$; Oceania seems to want to spend that budget on food. That's OK with me.

What you have mostly on O is people hired to be assistant cruise directors or activity directors or bartenders who "happen" to sing or entertain. Their entertainment skills are not the reason for their being hired and it shows.

I do not know if that still is the case on the "R" ships, but that certainly is not the case now on Marina. Opinions certainly seem to differ on Dez and Cherry (we only caught their act twice), but thought both shows, although perhaps a bit cornball, extremely charming, with Dez having a lot of charisma, but the pianist and violinist were top-notch IMO and the dancers and singers a huge improvement from the past. I, too, would have loved another show by the very talented pianist.

None of the Marina entertainers fit within the categories you mention above. People may hate the room, but the entertainment, which is not Broadway level (which I, of course, did not expect) certainly has been upped substantially IMO.

Agree with you, Paul. I have over 200 days on Seabourn and close to that on Silversea. I have no idea why anyone thinks they have better entertainment. On the small Seabourn ships it's mostly the ACDs who entertain. On the larger ones they have a resident troupe of four singers who do the same four shows over and over so if you're on for a long time there is little variety. Bottom line for me is entertainment is the least important factor in choosing a cruise as I rarely go to any shows. That way I'm not disappointed.

Archived