Flying into San Juan for a cruise, Passport needed?

kshelleby

I know a passport is not needed to fly to and from Puerto Rico from the states, but my question is:

Once I am in Puerto Rico, do I need a passport to cruise to the other countries before returning to Puerto Rico to disembark? Does the "closed loop" cruise rule apply to US territories?

Our cruise leaves in less than 5 months so I would need to apply for a passport soon if it is required.

Thank you!

It is always a good idea to cruise with a passport. While the closed loop exception will let you board a cruise ship with just a birth certificate and ID, if something happens while you are out of the country, you have no way to get home without a passport.

Thank you all for your opinions, but I am trying to figure out what the law is. Is it required to have a passport to embark and disembark into a US territory if we are cruising to foreign ports?

You'll have to tell us what countries your ship will be going to in order to get an accurate answer. While the typical itinerary from San Juan won't require a passport, your cruise could be calling at a port that does require you to have a passport.

You'll have to tell us what countries your ship will be going to in order to get an accurate answer. While the typical itinerary from San Juan won't require a passport, your cruise could be calling at a port that does require you to have a passport.

Barbados, St. Thomas, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, St. Marteen.

No passport required, just strongly recommended. Your certified US birth certificate and government issued picture ID will do.

If married and your current name does not match your BC, particularly if traveling on RCI, a certified copy of your marriage license is recommended. It is not required by US law, but some overzealous port agents have insisted it is.

Barbados, St. Thomas, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, St. Marteen.

Proof of Citizenship (birth certificate with raised state stamp), and Govt issued photo ID (drivers' license) are sufficient to enter these countries; and as you are on a closed loop itinerary, the USA waves the normal requirement of a passport to [re-]enter the USA.

Note the requirement for a lot of cruises these days is not to enter the foreign countries, but to re-enter the USA.

Thank you all for your opinions, but I am trying to figure out what the law is. Is it required to have a passport to embark and disembark into a US territory if we are cruising to foreign ports?

The law is on your side; you do not need a passport for a closed circuit cruise from a U S port.

However, common sense is not on your side:

a) If you ever had to fly back to the U S because you might have missed the ship at a port of call or because of a family emergency, you would be out of luck.

b) At some point, requirements will get tighter, and you will need a passport for any cruise -- plus if you ever do any other sort of travel you will need a passport.

The bottom line: Why would you even consider not getting a passport at this time?

Thanks everyone :)

I am sending in the paperwork for the passport in a few weeks, I just know sometimes it can take a while and wanted to make sure I was not SOL in the case it did not come back in time before my cruise.

Archived