Oasis of the Seas - Will I be nickled and dimed?

I've been on multiple cruises before but this will be my first time on RCI in many years. I keep reading that I'll be nickled and dimed on the Oasis of the Seas, is this true? We've already booked and are getting very excited but I'm not 100% sure what to expect. Will I be able to easily find places to eat that are included in our fare? I get that things like the carousel will cost us, but I'm mostly concerned about dining. We don't sail until May 2012 but I'm hoping to get a better idea of what to expect!

Thanks so much!

You will not be nickled or dimed on the Oasis. There are plenty of free eating options, shows and activities. The ship is so big, you will not have enough time to experience everything. Go to the RCCL webpage for a comprehensive list of options.

My time on the Oasis last year was outstanding. In retrospect, I could have spent as little as possible and still have the same amount of fun.

BTW, the carousel is free.

I've been on multiple cruises before but this will be my first time on RCI in many years. I keep reading that I'll be nickled and dimed on the Oasis of the Seas, is this true? We've already booked and are getting very excited but I'm not 100% sure what to expect. Will I be able to easily find places to eat that are included in our fare? I get that things like the carousel will cost us, but I'm mostly concerned about dining. We don't sail until May 2012 but I'm hoping to get a better idea of what to expect!

Thanks so much!

You will have plenty of options. The MDR served very good food (free). The Park Cafe and Cafe Promenade are also free. The Windjammer Buffet is also free.

On dining the only extra we spent was 1 night in Chops for dinner, 2 cupcakes from the Cupcake Cupboard, and ice cream from the shop in the boardwalk.

Ooops! Almost forgot, we did go to Johnny Rockets :)

Phew! I was beginning to worry we'd have to start a whole new savings account for spending on this trip! I'm so relieved. My MIL booked the same trip just recently and was told by the TA we'd have to pay for things like the carousel, so I am very relieved to read that's not the case. I've been trying to do a little research to make myself a list of places to eat that are included, but it doesn't seem like we'll have a big problem finding spots to eat for free.

Thank you!!

I didn't feel anymore or any less nickle and dimed than the previous cruises I had been on. I think people say that because there are so many more options (both free and $$$ options) We pretty much only did the things that were free and we didn't have enough time to do all of it :p The flowrider, zip line, carousel, rock climbing wall, shows, and people watching were all free. I can think of 5 places off the top of my head that you can have a full meal for free, and I know there are more. We only paid for Giovanni's table once (it was only $15/person for dinner then, I believe it's gone up a bit) and Johnny Rockets @ $5/person for lunch. My cruise would not have been impacted in the slightest had we not eaten at either of these venues, but we chose to splurge a tiny bit. Now if we could just cut out the alcohol we would really be ahead of the game....no chance of that though :p:p:p:p Nothing says vacation like a tall margarita in your hand while watching the ocean go by :)

Phew! I was beginning to worry we'd have to start a whole new savings account for spending on this trip! I'm so relieved. My MIL booked the same trip just recently and was told by the TA we'd have to pay for things like the carousel, so I am very relieved to read that's not the case. I've been trying to do a little research to make myself a list of places to eat that are included, but it doesn't seem like we'll have a big problem finding spots to eat for free.

Thank you!!

If your TA told you this then you need to find a new TA. Seriously if a TA does not know what items cost extra on one of the newest and most talked class of ships then they are not a good TA. As others have stated, you can spend a week on this ship and not spend anymore than you would on any other ship.

If your TA told you this then you need to find a new TA. Seriously if a TA does not know what items cost extra on one of the newest and most talked class of ships then they are not a good TA. As others have stated, you can spend a week on this ship and not spend anymore than you would on any other ship.

I agree completely.

This wasn't the TA we used, but the one my MIL uses. I thought I read somewhere all of those things were included (but to reserve most in advance?). However after she booked her cabin she came back with this information. I'm glad she was wrong.

Looking forward to being back on board a Royal Caribbean ship!

I've been trying to do a little research to make myself a list of places to eat that are included, but it doesn't seem like we'll have a big problem finding spots to eat for free.

Included are:

Winjammer

Solarium Bistro free for breakfast and lunch, turns to Samba Grill for dinner (pay)

Wipe Out Cafe

Park Cafe (not to be confused with 150 Central Park)

Dog House

Johnny Rockets (breakfast only)(very cheap for lunch/dinner)

Donut Shop

Sorrento's Pizza

Promenade Café

Thanks so much!

Most things that cost you money weren't on a Royal Caribbean ship many years ago. With few exceptions, the base food/entertainment you got then is still free today, the only difference is that there are lots of additional options you can buy if you wish.

Included are:

Winjammer

Solarium Bistro free for breakfast and lunch, turns to Samba Grill for dinner (pay)

Wipe Out Cafe

Park Cafe (not to be confused with 150 Central Park)

Dog House

Johnny Rockets (breakfast only)(very cheap for lunch/dinner)

Donut Shop

Sorrento's Pizza

Promenade Café

This looks like a list for Allure, but the OP said she was going on Oasis. There is no Samba Grill on Oasis, nor is there a Dog House. Otherwise, that looks like a pretty good list, with the obvious omission of the main dining room (which is no extra charge, of course). Room service is also included, unless you are ordering really late at night (I think after midnight, but not positive of the time cut off).

The carousel is free. The Dog House has a tremendous free selection of dogs and sausages. Sorrento's Pizza is free. JR's has a very nice diner-style free breakfast.

R&D

Does not exist on Oasis. It is only on Allure.

Bit of a vent I guess, but I have to say it bothers me when people use the phrase "nickel and dime". As others have stated, you certainly can go on a cruise and not spend any extra money. We are not big drinkers, we never buy the photos, and we don't go to the specialty restaurants for meals. If you tip in cash or have pre-paid your tips, you could conceivably have a $0.00 balance. Not likely.... but it could be done. ;)

Basically, it's this: on every ship and especially Oasis, there are many eating venues which are included in your cruise fare. You just have to find them, no big deal. No one is being nickel and dimed to death on a cruise, and as a matter of fact, I don't think you even can be without your consent. Right? ;):p The extra charges on a cruise ship are always choices.

This wasn't the TA we used, but the one my MIL uses. I thought I read somewhere all of those things were included (but to reserve most in advance?). However after she booked her cabin she came back with this information. I'm glad she was wrong.

Looking forward to being back on board a Royal Caribbean ship!

You might want to point out to her that her travel agent gave her the wrong input and if her TA was wrong about such things, how trustworthy is any other information he or she dispenses. Perhaps she could switch to your TA. No one can know everything there is to know, but information about the newest ships in the RCI fleet is readily available and any agent worth his or her salt, should either know the facts or know how to get the correct information. Anything else is just plain lazy. Of course CSRs have sometimes been known to give out erroneous information, and it is doubtful that some of them have ever cruised on an RCI ship.:rolleyes:

Artie,

Nice find. That 'should' explain it all.

However, just went to RCCL on line deck plans and they are showing Allure with Seafood Shack (no Rita's) and no Dog House. Allure also has the Boardwalk Bar. It doesn't show on the list you posted. It's about time they correct those deck plans. Anyone sea any other errors in that list?

No wonder a TA could get confused.

R&D

The TA my MIL used actually went on the Oasis of the Seas, so obviously it must have been something she misunderstood while her time on board, whatever, not a big deal. My main concern was paying for meals on board as we all know dining at the specialty restaurants can add up quickly! I've read about places you have to pay for coffee, cupcakes, etc. and was worried that I was going to find that I would be charged for most things. I see now that we can easily get through a whole week without paying any extra for food if we choose not to.

Artie - that list you provided was perfect and really what I've been trying to find. I always know I can get the information I need on this site. I appreciate the link. Also thank you Pumbaamd with the information you provided.

You can still get free coffee in many venues on board - MDR, room service, Windjammer, Cafe Promenade, etc. Some people buy coffee since the free coffee isn't that great, but if you aren't too particular about your coffee, you can certainly still get it for free. Try the different venues with the free coffee and you SHOULD be able to find one that isn't too horrible :D

Artie,

Nice find. That 'should' explain it all.

However, just went to RCCL on line deck plans and they are showing Allure with Seafood Shack (no Rita's) and no Dog House. Allure also has the Boardwalk Bar. It doesn't show on the list you posted. It's about time they correct those deck plans. Anyone sea any other errors in that list?

No wonder a TA could get confused.

R&D

Pumbaad, I just made reservations for Rita's Fiesta on my Sept. 18th cruise on Allure. Careful, I've seen the deck plans of the RCCL site and although they are labeled for Allure, the one's I've seen were actually for the Oasis.

Archived