Florence Italy Port inland?

Oceangoer2

We're considering a cruise, one of which has the port of Florence. I see on the map it's inland. How does this work? Do you take a bus tour? We have a reason to visit Urbino/Pesaro region on the Adriatic side and see that it's 116 miles from Florence to Urbino. Probably not enough time to do a day trip as I'm thinking it must be equally as far from Pisa/Livorno area to Florence. Does anyone have experience with this port?

We're considering a cruise, one of which has the port of Florence. I see on the map it's inland. How does this work? Do you take a bus tour? We have a reason to visit Urbino/Pesaro region on the Adriatic side and see that it's 116 miles from Florence to Urbino. Probably not enough time to do a day trip as I'm thinking it must be equally as far from Pisa/Livorno area to Florence. Does anyone have experience with this port?

Check on European ports AS far as I know Livorno is where you arrive You must take a shuttle to get to Florence

It's over an hour by bus to get to Florence. There are also trains if you are more adventuresome. Urbino would be too far from Livorno for a day trip, in my opinion. Even if you rented a car and drove yourself, or hired a private car to take you there, you would spend all day on the road.

Thanks. I expected a tour to Florence, then I guess we'd have to do a private car to Urbino (war cemetary where my DH's father is buried - 2nd WW). He's never visited and we'd like to take this opportunity to do so. Just concerned there won't be enough time during the port stay in Livorno.

Livorno is the port and from there it is about 90 minutes to Florence. You can take a ship's tour (including one that is transportation-only to Florence and back), a private tour, or you can do it on your own and take the train or rent a car. I've read successful reports for all of these.

For something special like that, where you only would need to spend a short time at the cemetary, you could do it, I think, from Livorno, but I would definitely recommend that you hire a car and driver -- someone who knows the roads and the best route to take, and how to create an instant detour route if you ran into traffic or construction. What is the ship's itinerary? What ports come before and after Livorno? If Rome, then perhaps you could go off the ship overnight and make the journey. That can be arranged with the cruise line, to leave the ship in Rome and join it again in Livorno, or vice versa.

For something special like that, where you only would need to spend a short time at the cemetary, you could do it, I think, from Livorno, but I would definitely recommend that you hire a car and driver -- someone who knows the roads and the best route to take, and how to create an instant detour route if you ran into traffic or construction. What is the ship's itinerary? What ports come before and after Livorno? If Rome, then perhaps you could go off the ship overnight and make the journey. That can be arranged with the cruise line, to leave the ship in Rome and join it again in Livorno, or vice versa.

Sounds like a plan. The cruise ends in Rome, so we could take an extra day or two and explore the Tuscany area with the cemetary as the focus.

Good idea and thanks.

If you have the extra time, you can begin or end in Tuscany. I would fly into Rome a few days before your cruise to really see Rome. When your cruise is over take a wonderful train to Florence and visit Umbria and Tuscany areas. You can then fly home from Florence. When your cruise is in Livorno, go somewhere else in the area closer to the port....... Rome and Florence are both about 90 min from the ports... HAPPY CRUISING!!!:):)

I just double checked my Italy geography -- it would be a long, long drive from Livorno to Le Marche (the region Urbino is located in), and there is no direct route. It would definitely be a challenge to try to go from the ship in one day and get back to the ship. Good choice to visit it before or after the cruise.

If you are travelling from Livorno to Urbino, it will take you at least 4 hours each way in a car. So even if everything goes perfectly, with no roadworks or other delays, that's eight hours travelling time without so much as a coffee, a sandwich or a potty break, let alone having enough time to see the cemetery or have a quiet moment there.

The only realistic way to do this is to travel outside of the cruise, either before or after, and plan to stay overnight. Unless you know someone with a helicopter... :)

Sounds like a plan. The cruise ends in Rome, so we could take an extra day or two and explore the Tuscany area with the cemetary as the focus.

Good idea and thanks.

If you have the opportunity to stay a few days after your cruise, I strongly suggest you do so.

When you get off the ship at Citivecchia, take a train to Florence from the port. Stay there for that day and the next day get a rental car and visit Urbino and the cemetery. Spend the day, get a wonderful drive through Tuscany and Italian countryside and, pay the ultimate respect to a special Man. It is an opportunity that is personal, priceless and, worth every day and dollar to do.

Archived