Transportation Port of Boston to Port Brooklyn New York

mediator

We are working on planning two cruises, to maximize our airfare. Have never been to NY. Here is what we are thinking. Can anyone help.

We are thinking about NCL Dawn on 10/21st-10/28th. Boston to Boston (Bermuda)

Then hopping on Princess 10/29 which leaves Brooklyn port.

How or what is the easiest way to get from Boston Port to Brooklyn Port, NY?

I would like to travel on the 28th, sleep in a hotel near port in NY

and then board ship relaxed on the 29th. It cruises then to FLL where we live.

Any help would be appreciated. Cindy

It all depends on what you want to spend. The Northeast regional is showing at $49/pp on 10/28 at 11:05 arriving 3:15. This would take you to Penn Station in Manhattan. South Station Boston is a 5+ minute cab ride from the pier for under $10. You could look at Brooklyn hotels and take a cab to Brooklyn ($30-35). If you're seniors, you can get an additional discount on Amtrak. Another thing is that on Oct 28 the train ride should still be pretty even though the peak foliage will have passed.

Airfare is showing at $196/pp. That's a pricey alternative to pay to then stay in an airport hotel at LGA.

We are working on planning two cruises, to maximize our airfare. Have never been to NY. Here is what we are thinking. Can anyone help.

We are thinking about NCL Dawn on 10/21st-10/28th. Boston to Boston (Bermuda)

Then hopping on Princess 10/29 which leaves Brooklyn port.

How or what is the easiest way to get from Boston Port to Brooklyn Port, NY?

I would like to travel on the 28th, sleep in a hotel near port in NY

and then board ship relaxed on the 29th. It cruises then to FLL where we live.

Any help would be appreciated. Cindy

Hi we are doing a B2B on the Caribbean Princess leaving NYC 22 Oct and doing NE USA / Canada, then staying on the ship on 29 Oct and doing the repositioning cruise to FLL - no use to you with your transport question, but this may be an option for you. Regards

It all depends on what you want to spend. The Northeast regional is showing at $49/pp on 10/28 at 11:05 arriving 3:15. This would take you to Penn Station in Manhattan. South Station Boston is a 5+ minute cab ride from the pier for under $10. You could look at Brooklyn hotels and take a cab to Brooklyn ($30-35). If you're seniors, you can get an additional discount on Amtrak. Another thing is that on Oct 28 the train ride should still be pretty even though the peak foliage will have passed.

I agree with this. If you take a plane, you are going to be in airports and the plane longer than the 3 hours.

I forgot to mention that there is a bus option from Boston to NY as well - $20/pp on 10/28. You said you've never been to NY - have you considered getting a hotel in Manhattan? More expensive than Brooklyn, but also an opportunity to wander around midtown and see the sights the afternoon and evening of your arrival and the following morning.

I forgot to mention that there is a bus option from Boston to NY as well - $20/pp on 10/28. You said you've never been to NY - have you considered getting a hotel in Manhattan? More expensive than Brooklyn, but also an opportunity to wander around midtown and see the sights the afternoon and evening of your arrival and the following morning.

Thank you all for your input.

I would be interested in hearing more about the bus option. What company if you know so I can make a call. Have not considered Manhattan. Never been to NY, so I am really a fish out of water here as to what direction to go in, let alone book a hotel outside of where the ship will be. But with help, I am sure we will get it together. Booked the Dawn the other day. So just waiting til I have this figured out before I book the Princess.

I've used Peter Pan/Greyhound - www.peterpanbus.com but there is also Megabus www.megabus.com. If you buy a ticket for a later time and arrive early at the bus station (this is a block down from South Station), they will put you on an earlier bus if there is room.

Perhaps the New Yorkers will post about the Brooklyn hotels that are close to Red Hook. There are no hotels at the pier. A Manhattan hotel room will be more expensive, but since you've never been to New York, it's a unique opportunity to see some sights without making a special trip. You should arrive by mid afternoon and have until midday the following day before you must go to the ship. You can easily walk around midtown to see Times Square, Rockefeller Center, 5th Ave, Empire State and Macy's. If you stay in Brooklyn, you will be in a less interesting place with not much to do near the hotel.

Be sure to print out the directions to the port - apparently not all NY cabbies know exactly where it is.

Do you need a hotel in Boston? Hotwire can be good for finding Boston and Manhattan hotels - ask for advice if you are interested. You can also now insure your prepaid room if you have to cancel for certain specific reasons.

I've used Peter Pan/Greyhound - www.peterpanbus.com but there is also Megabus www.megabus.com. If you buy a ticket for a later time and arrive early at the bus station (this is a block down from South Station), they will put you on an earlier bus if there is room.

Perhaps the New Yorkers will post about the Brooklyn hotels that are close to Red Hook. There are no hotels at the pier. A Manhattan hotel room will be more expensive, but since you've never been to New York, it's a unique opportunity to see some sights without making a special trip. You should arrive by mid afternoon and have until midday the following day before you must go to the ship. You can easily walk around midtown to see Times Square, Rockefeller Center, 5th Ave, Empire State and Macy's. If you stay in Brooklyn, you will be in a less interesting place with not much to do near the hotel.

Be sure to print out the directions to the port - apparently not all NY cabbies know exactly where it is.

Do you need a hotel in Boston? Hotwire can be good for finding Boston and Manhattan hotels - ask for advice if you are interested. You can also now insure your prepaid room if you have to cancel for certain specific reasons.

Well alot has changed (for the good). I was able to get a cabin on the sold out sailing on RCL's Jewel, on october 29th, which goes from Boston back to Tamps. So, when I get off the dawn on the 28th in Boston, I just need to get a hotel now in Boston rather than the NY.

So yes I need a hotel. We would prefer one that offers a shuttle to and from the port if that is possible. In FL it's a mainstay for most hotels. One close to the port if possible and doesn't cost big bucks. I know and I want free breakfast too :p. Seriously, any recommendations would be helpful. I have been poking around. What I don't know are areas. ie Garden City, is that close or good spot, I saw a La Quinta in Somervile etc. So, again I ask for your help. Cindy

I'd stick with Peter Pan or Greyhound bus service. There are a couple of 'cheap' options, like Fung Wah, but they have a history of accidents.

I personally would look at Amtrak, I think it's a better travel method for high traffic areas like Boston & NY.

Well alot has changed (for the good). I was able to get a cabin on the sold out sailing on RCL's Jewel, on october 29th, which goes from Boston back to Tamps. So, when I get off the dawn on the 28th in Boston, I just need to get a hotel now in Boston rather than the NY.

So yes I need a hotel. We would prefer one that offers a shuttle to and from the port if that is possible. In FL it's a mainstay for most hotels. One close to the port if possible and doesn't cost big bucks. I know and I want free breakfast too :p. Seriously, any recommendations would be helpful. I have been poking around. What I don't know are areas. ie Garden City, is that close or good spot, I saw a La Quinta in Somervile etc. So, again I ask for your help. Cindy

Hotels which offer a port shuttle are in fringe areas of Boston. You need to book immediately. This Jewel sailing is a big deal with repeat cruisers and they were all over CC a few months ago looking for hotel deals. Unfortunately, those deals are long gone. The best thing I'm seeing for you is on Hotwire - 4* Waterfront hotel for $165. This is still a good deal - not a fantastic deal. The hotel will likely be the Westin Convention Center which is only several blocks from the pier - a cheap cab ride under $10. If it's not the Westin it will be the Seaport or the Renaissance. All very nice hotels, so no risk in bidding on an unknown hotel. The "T" station is a block away if you feel like venturing into downtown Boston. You must book this immediately before the colleges get going and all the hotel deals for October weekends in Boston disappear.

hotels which offer a port shuttle are in fringe areas of boston. You need to book immediately. This jewel sailing is a big deal with repeat cruisers and they were all over cc a few months ago looking for hotel deals. Unfortunately, those deals are long gone. The best thing i'm seeing for you is on hotwire - 4* waterfront hotel for $165. This is still a good deal - not a fantastic deal. The hotel will likely be the westin convention center which is only several blocks from the pier - a cheap cab ride under $10. If it's not the westin it will be the seaport or the renaissance. All very nice hotels, so no risk in bidding on an unknown hotel. The "t" station is a block away if you feel like venturing into downtown boston. you must book this immediately before the colleges get going and all the hotel deals for october weekends in boston disappear.

is the holiday inn express or the best westerbn adams hotel or la quintas just awful? I don't mind a fringe hotel. Do you have advice on the better one to choose?

I can only report what others have said about these hotels. Perhaps you should look at Tripadvisor. The reviews have been very mixed.

Holiday Inn Express is in South Boston - seems to suit some folks and not others. No where much to go from there and I'm not sure there is much food. Best Western Adams is in Quincy - some people said it's fine and others hated it. In the middle of nowhere - I think they have a restaurant. La Quinta is in Somerville - not a particularly good area to walk around. My son who lives in Somerville says "No".

I'm seeing Holiday Inn and La Quinta at $180 and $165 for those dates. Why would you want to pick a fringe hotel far from the pier when you can get a really nice hotel within several blocks of the pier for a similar amount of money. Don't get hung up on the "free" shuttle - Boston is not a big cruiseport - none of the downtown hotels have a free shuttle to Logan Airport and certainly not to the port. I'd be very surprised if a cab from the Westin to the port costs $10 - probably more like $7. It's only 4-5 blocks.

You may not mind a fringe hotel, but I can't in good conscience recommend any of these fringe hotels since the Hotwire hotel is a competitive price.

One more consideration - you'll be off the ship the morning of the 28th and can't get back on the next ship until late morning the next day. You have a full 24 hours in Boston. Are you going to spend that time squirreled up in a "cheap" hotel in a fringe area of Somerville, Quincy, or South Boston? From the Waterfront area you have easy access to the "T" and can get anywhere in downtown Boston that interests you. You can go to Quincy Market or walk the Freedom Trail. There are some restaurants near the hotel (primarily seafood), but there's a whole selection of places to eat in Boston itself.

Never use the Chinatown buses, but there are a couple of new ones such as Bolt Bus where they sometimes run good deals. But, as mentioned be prepared for lots of traffic.

I'd stick with Peter Pan or Greyhound bus service. There are a couple of 'cheap' options, like Fung Wah, but they have a history of accidents.

I personally would look at Amtrak, I think it's a better travel method for high traffic areas like Boston & NY.

The OP is no longer going to New York, so no buses, trains, or planes. They are staying in Boston overnight and taking the Jewel back to Florida. Good decision - the Jewel is sold out and is a very popular cruise.

The OP is no longer going to New York, so no buses, trains, or planes. They are staying in Boston overnight and taking the Jewel back to Florida. Good decision - the Jewel is sold out and is a very popular cruise.

So they don't want to try for the Sheraton Back Bay?:D

It's not on Hotwire - all the Jewel cruisers snapped those rooms up a while ago. The Waterfront hotel is down to $163. There's a slightly cheaper 3* Back Bay hotel, but the cab fares would be more. I just don't see them paying a similar price in a fringe area just to get a "free" shuttle to the port - you can practically see the ship from the Westin and maybe you can from the rooms. The "free" shuttle is a gimmick to attract unsuspecting folks to hotels they would never consider otherwise.

It's not on Hotwire - all the Jewel cruisers snapped those rooms up a while ago. The Waterfront hotel is down to $163. There's a slightly cheaper 3* Back Bay hotel, but the cab fares would be more. I just don't see them paying a similar price in a fringe area just to get a "free" shuttle to the port - you can practically see the ship from the Westin and maybe you can from the rooms. The "free" shuttle is a gimmick to attract unsuspecting folks to hotels they would never consider otherwise.

we have never used hotwire or the others, so we are a tad leary/probably scared a better word, so i am going to look now. of course we want a nice hotel and great location and you are right the shuttle is secondary, it is how I have to get the price., will go to hotwire now

It's the Waterfront Convention Center 4* hotel - if you want to pay a little extra you can insure the hotel in case you have to cancel the cruises for something like a medical reason (not just a whim). You have to pay and without insurance it is totally nonrefundable. But the best rates at hotels now are prepay as well, so IMO it's all the same.

It's the Waterfront Convention Center 4* hotel - if you want to pay a little extra you can insure the hotel in case you have to cancel the cruises for something like a medical reason (not just a whim). You have to pay and without insurance it is totally nonrefundable. But the best rates at hotels now are prepay as well, so IMO it's all the same.

Ok, I just booked the 4star waterfront. I was given the Westin Boston Waterfront hotel. I guess that is good. I did the live chat so ease some of my jitters with ?'s and they were really nice. So I assume the port is almost out the door. Thanks for your help.

Congratulations! I think you made a smart choice. Yes - the port is almost out the door. If you're not happy with the Westin, you would be super dissatisfied with any of the other choices you were considering. Please feel free to post back with Boston questions. As I said before, the Silver Line "T" station is a block away and you can easily get into downtown Boston (of course you can walk it if you're walkers). It's possible you will arrive too early to get into a room (I'm sure they will take your luggage), so you might want to have a plan for that day.

I would consider the Old Town Trolley Tour. It is a marvelous way to get around and see all the sights of Boston.

Congratulations! I think you made a smart choice. Yes - the port is almost out the door. If you're not happy with the Westin, you would be super dissatisfied with any of the other choices you were considering. Please feel free to post back with Boston questions. As I said before, the Silver Line "T" station is a block away and you can easily get into downtown Boston (of course you can walk it if you're walkers). It's possible you will arrive too early to get into a room (I'm sure they will take your luggage), so you might want to have a plan for that day.

Archived