Passports and Drivers License

cruzinsuzie

We are taking the Med. Cruise with Carnival Magic and had heard to make photocopies of your passport and drivers license to carry with you while on your excursions in Italy. Could someone let me know if this is true? I know at the Coliseum you have to show ID to get your tickets. Will they accept a photocopy?

We are taking the Med. Cruise with Carnival Magic and had heard to make photocopies of your passport and drivers license to carry with you while on your excursions in Italy. Could someone let me know if this is true? I know at the Coliseum you have to show ID to get your tickets. Will they accept a photocopy?

You are not required to carry these items in Italy.

However, I would make a copy of my passport and carry it with me. I always think it's a good idea. It's not an official document but if for whatever reason you couldn't get back to the ship it would help to facilitate getting a new passport.

Keith

Many cruise lines and ports are now requiring that passengers have a government issued picture ID in order to get back on the ship. So, it's always a good idea to carry your drivers license. We never carry our Passports unless there is a compelling reason. Passports are worth up to $10,000 on the black market so that document should be treated like a precious gem. For us, this means we keep it locked securely in a safe. You also should be aware that on many European cruises you will not even have your passport since it is often held by the cruise ship during most of your cruise. In some cases the ship needs all the passports to get the ship cleared (in some ports) so it is common for them to collect all passports on embarkation and return them towards the end of the cruise.

Hank

I've used my driver's license many times for ID in Italy. I'd rather carry that around with me than my passport.

Some places where you can rent audio guides also require you to leave an ID with them as assurance that you'll bring the headphones/unit back. Again, I'd really prefer to leave my DL but would think twice about leaving my passport with them.

I just want to reiterate that if the cruise line does not require you having a government photo id to return to the ship and the port does not require it then leave them on the ship.

We've never had to take a passport nor photo in any port in Italy.

Our only exceptions in the Med were on our last Med cruise where we stopped in a port in France and were required by the local authorities to carry the passport and many years ago a few months after the bombing in Madrid where for a short time anyone entering Spain including on a ship had to carry their passport. That is no longer the case there.

Keith

Archived