Non refundable insurance on HAL?

Loucat

I booked Eurodam through a large discount online agency. I never purchase insurance through an agent, I buy what I need through an online insurance site.

I distinctly remember telling the agent I would buy my own coverage.

The agent claims I signed to buy this insurance and it is non refundable. I had to switch sailings and they said 'As a courtesy the insurance company transferred the policy". That means that if I cancelled this cruise, they keep the $212.00!

The problem is that two weeks after I booked this cruise, my email was hacked and all messages gone. So much for using my computer as my filing system:eek:

The document they provided has $100 less OBC than I was told at the time of booking. It also states I was supposed to receive notice of this insurance within 5 days. That never happened.

As I had no clue about this insurance, I purchased insurance for this cruise last week.

The HAL booking statement also states you need to buy cruise cancellation insurance and it is non-refundable.

This is my first HAL cruise and have no clue if this is true.

I plan to cancel this cruise only I am concerned I will ever see my deposit of $700.00

Any advice here would be much appreciated and is this a HAL policy?

Is any insurance refundable? If I go a year without any claim on my auto insurance, then cancel it, do I get a refund? Don't think so. It was covering me during that time.

As to your not intentionally purchasing the insurance, that is another topic.

Is any insurance refundable? If I go a year without any claim on my auto insurance, then cancel it, do I get a refund? Don't think so. It was covering me during that time.
When we switched car insurance about 3 months into a 6 month term we got a refund of the premium for the remainder of the term, less a small cancellation processing fee. When we've sold houses we've gotten back a prorated portion of the insurance premium. Maybe it depends on state laws, or how much of the term remains? That is, if you waited 11.5 months to cancel you might not get anything back.

OP

Insurance you buy for cruises is non-refundable whether you use it or not.

As for your deposit -- that you should get back.

Anything like you describe -- I run off a copy right away -- I would never let everything just sit on my computer -- I like everything backed up.

In the case of HAL's Standard Cancellation Protection Plan they flatly state that it is not insurance. You are simply buying the right to cancel, for no reason at all, right up to sailing day, and get back 80% (or more) of what you've paid them. That right costs, whether you use it or not.

OP, you will lose the insurance premium, but NOT your deposit, if you are before your final payment date.

But even your independent 3rd party insurance will not refund, they may transfer to a new cruise, but not refund.

Once you pay for trip insurance, that premium is GONE!

BEWARE when booking a cruise with any of the Carnival family cruiselines. I don't know if all will go the way of the parent company. Carnival has a "Super Saver Fare", where you do indeed lose your deposit, no matter when you cancel the cruise. I booked a short 2 day cruise to initiate my 11 year old granddaughter to cruising, but had to cancel. I lost half of the deposit, and the other half sits there waiting for the next 2 years if I want to use it toward another cruise. But no cash refund.

OP, you will lose the insurance premium, but NOT your deposit, if you are before your final payment date.

But even your independent 3rd party insurance will not refund, they may transfer to a new cruise, but not refund.

Once you pay for trip insurance, that premium is GONE!

BEWARE when booking a cruise with any of the Carnival family cruiselines. I don't know if all will go the way of the parent company. Carnival has a "Super Saver Fare", where you do indeed lose your deposit, no matter when you cancel the cruise. I booked a short 2 day cruise to initiate my 11 year old granddaughter to cruising, but had to cancel. I lost half of the deposit, and the other half sits there waiting for the next 2 years if I want to use it toward another cruise. But no cash refund.

Thank you for that information! Is it the cruiseline or the agent? I have never had this happen in all the years that I have cruised, but then, I have never sailed on a Carnival owned ship.

The crazy thing is now that I changed sail dates, I have 2 insurance policies on the same cruise. I will NEVER use this agency again for sure! When something looks too good to be true, it is not true.

In the case of HAL's Standard Cancellation Protection Plan they flatly state that it is not insurance. You are simply buying the right to cancel, for no reason at all, right up to sailing day, and get back 80% (or more) of what you've paid them. That right costs, whether you use it or not.

This is not HAL's standard cancellation plan as best I know. But then, since I first booked in May, I have no information on the policy the agent supposedly purchased. I went and purchased my own insurance last week thinking I had no insurance.

OP

Insurance you buy for cruises is non-refundable whether you use it or not.

As for your deposit -- that you should get back.

Anything like you describe -- I run off a copy right away -- I would never let everything just sit on my computer -- I like everything backed up.

Hard lesson learned. I usually always make copies of everything.:(

Thank you for that information! Is it the cruiseline or the agent? I have never had this happen in all the years that I have cruised, but then, I have never sailed on a Carnival owned ship.

The crazy thing is now that I changed sail dates, I have 2 insurance policies on the same cruise. I will NEVER use this agency again for sure! When something looks too good to be true, it is not true.

Lou,

Also note what ever the cancellation policy is with the agency. Sometimes they do charge a fee to cancel.

You should find out, by chance, both of those policies happen to be with the same company. That might need some 'managing', if so.

This was on Carnival, through a Carnival rep on the phone, not an agency or Travel Agent. I had not ever heard of it either. I've sailed Carnival (many years ago), HAL, Princess, Celebrity, NCL and Royal Caribbean. I had never heard of not getting your deposit back, if you canceled before final payment.

As far as I know right now, Carnival is the only cruiseline that has this "Super Saver Fare" where you don't get your deposit back.

My insurance was through a third party, so I called to cancel the insurance and was told it could be transferred to another trip, but no refunds after 10 days.

But the other poster is correct. You have not lost a thing on your email. Take your computer to Best Buy (Geek Squad) or Radio Shack and I'll bet they can retrieve your emails. Happens at work all the time, I don't know how to do it, but the IT techs do.

what are you on you should be able to recover you emails.

But the other poster is correct. You have not lost a thing on your email. Take your computer to Best Buy (Geek Squad) or Radio Shack and I'll bet they can retrieve your emails. Happens at work all the time' date=' I don't know how to do it, but the IT techs do.[/quote']If they were stored on the OP's home computer, maybe some of them can be recovered. If they were in web-based email and it was the server that was hacked, they're gone for good.

If they were stored on the OP's home computer, maybe some of them can be recovered. If they were in web-based email and it was the server that was hacked, they're gone for good.

Which is why, when I receive important emails, I save them in my computer as word docs ... and do routine backups to an external drive.

Which is why, when I receive important emails, I save them in my computer as word docs ... and do routine backups to an external drive.
I just save them as .eml or .html, or "print" them to .xps or .pdf, and then back them up immediately to a USB flash drive that stays plugged in all the time. I also do monthly backups to an external drive.

Archived