Towel animals on Sapphire

ActiveTraveler

While looking at board photos of the Sapphire, I saw two of towel animals. Do ship staff still make them? The ones I saw were a bunny on a bed and a monkey in the bathroom with red eyes.

Nothing on the Sapphire in May & very rarely on any of our other cruises for several years now. The cabin stewards are so busy that they don't have the time to do them much anymore. We did get a couple on a 14 day Hawaiian cruise on the Golden last November but this was definitely a rarity for us.

Princess doesn't do towel animals nor have they done them for decades, if at all. I've certainly never seen them. Occasionally, a steward who has perhaps worked on another cruiseline will make them but it's unusual and not expected. In my case, unwanted. I've had bad experiences on other cruiselines with stewards opening the drawers and taking my personal items out to "decorate" the towel animal. I felt violated and wondered what else they were looking for in my closed drawers.

We had towel animals on the July 12 - 27th cruise on the Ruby until our fabulous cabin attendent ended her contract mid cruise. Her just OK

replacement did not do them. We did enjoy it. She did not use anything other than our sunglasses on 2 occasions and they were out in full view. She's only worked for Princess.

I am very happy not to receive any towel animals on Princess and I strongly hope that they will continue NOT to emphasize this as part of their room stewards' job descriptions. They have enough to do, and things like keeping my room cleaned and ice bucket filled mean so much more....

We got towel animals daily on the Sapphire to Mexico last year. It was the first time I have ever seen them on a Princess ship in more than 20 sailings. It may have something to do with having my teenage niece staying in the cabin. I think our cabin steward was catering to her.

We have had a towel animal only one time on a Princess Cruise, and I think it was our steward's way of apologizing because our room was not made up when we returned from dinner. We went out on the balcony while he was working, and when he finished and left we found a bull dog with a red wrapped heart shaped chocolate for a nose. While I find them cute, they are not something that I want to find in my cabin, so I am happy that Princess does not require them to make them.

Just off the Golden and we had a great cabin steward, who in addition to keeping our cabin spotless and keeping our ice bucket filled, also made a few towel animals/shapes for us.

We came back from dinner one night to find a heart made from towels, with red foil wrapped chocolates on it. There were 2 or 3 other animals during the week, plus one night, 2 swans. Not expected, but definitely a nice touch. The only personal item used was my husband's sunglasses, which were out in plain view. My expensive, prescription sunglasses were never touched.

No towel animals on our 2 Sapphire voyages.

Our cabin steward never did any towel animals on our recent cruise, however he usually folded the towels in the way that many high end hotels do, so that the hand towel holds the washcloth. Very attractive and a nice touch.

I'm kind of ambivalent about towel animals. They are cute, but I don't consider them necessary, and if the cabin steward has a lot of rooms to maintain, I don't expect that level of effort. Keeping our room tidy and keeping us stocked with fresh towels is a lot more important to me than towel animals.

Our particular steward seemed to be very busy, but our room was always maintained so unobtrusively and so well.

We got towel animals daily on the Sapphire to Mexico last year. It was the first time I have ever seen them on a Princess ship in more than 20 sailings. It may have something to do with having my teenage niece staying in the cabin. I think our cabin steward was catering to her.

My teenage daughter had towel animals several times during a cruise last year, our cabin and our sons' cabin (same steward for all) didn't. So, yeh, a little catering to the girl.

I guess it depends on the room steward because of inconsistent reports.

I think they are cute and would take pictures of them if I get any.

Yes it does and it also depends if you have kids with you....we always had towel animals on our Princess cruises. My kids liked them and I thought they were cute too.

I guess it depends on the room steward because of inconsistent reports.

I think they are cute and would take pictures of them if I get any.

If they are something you enjoy, you could mention it to your cabin steward. They do not require or even encourage towel animals on the Princess line, but I think that a lot of the cabin stewards know how to do them. It has been my experience that Princess cabin stewards will be anything they are able to make their passengers happy.

If they are something you enjoy, you could mention it to your cabin steward. They do not require or even encourage towel animals on the Princess line, but I think that a lot of the cabin stewards know how to do them. It has been my experience that Princess cabin stewards will be anything they are able to make their passengers happy.

So I can request towel animals even if I don't have kids? :confused:

My teenage daughter had towel animals several times during a cruise last year, our cabin and our sons' cabin (same steward for all) didn't. So, yeh, a little catering to the girl.

Yes, agreed. We had three cabins on our cruise and they were all serviced by the same steward. Only the cabin with my niece in it got the towel animals (adults only in the other cabins).

Yes it does and it also depends if you have kids with you....we always had towel animals on our Princess cruises. My kids liked them and I thought they were cute too.

Our kids have cruised with us (in their own cabin) three times now and have never gotten any towel animals. I think they would have gotten them this cruise we just finished, but their cabin was slightly farther away from ours and they had a different cabin steward.

I guess, as with many things Princess, there is not a lot of rhyme or reason to things that are done. ;)

I think towel animals are creepy and weird (I don't like real monkeys; why would I want a terry-cloth representation of one?). And in making them, the steward could get so behind schedule, s/he forgets to leave me my pillow chocolates, which would totally ruin my cruise. Totally.

So I can request towel animals even if I don't have kids? :confused:
A very nice tip at the end of the cruise would be appropriate for doing something that apparently is very special to you and requires extra work for them.

A very nice tip at the end of the cruise would be appropriate for doing something that apparently is very special to you and requires extra work for them.

Not exactly special to me, just something I would like if my steward made one.

I definitely will tip for the chocolates on my pillow.

Princess makes towel animals. We just came off a week long Golden Princess cruise and had a penguin made. Nice touch, very cute. The family we traveled with on different deck, different room steward also got a towel animal, an elephant. Perhaps it has to do with traveling with children.

Archived