Smoking ?

phillipahain

CraftyEC

You are exactly right

All it needs is a properly segregated room or area of the ship where the smoking will not affect other passengers enjoyment of their cruise

Balconies , Observation Bar and below the Colonade simply do not and never will be areas suitable for smoking that show any consideration whatever to other passengers

I think Seabourn take the view that if it aint broke don't fix it - as the satisfaction results posted above show the vast majority of Seabourn customers are not sufficiently bothered by smoking to let it affect their overall satisfaction, granted it is not a smoking policy satisfaction survey but surely if they had been upset in any way by second hand smoke they would have lowered their overall satisfaction level.

Whilst I realise that everyone has their own ideas on the matter and nothing polarises people more than smoking I think it is a hard fact that Seabourn will always try to attract the broadest customer base as possible and until their research shows differently they will not change, posts on this forum will not change their mind as it is not a broad enough survey, very few people I meet aboard Seabourn have even heard of cruise critic much less post, also it is fair to say the the majority of people who comment are people with a strong opinion so that makes it even less representative.

Another point worth making is that when smoking was completely banned in the past it had another effect most didn't realise, the crew were also not allowed to smoke and that severely limited the pool of available crew as a very high proportion of the crew are smokers.

This said. The non-smokers, especially all my great American friends, really make me smile with their talking about health issues. As far as I know, the largest tobacco companies are US companies. If the health of human beings is of such great importance to Americans, why do they not have legislation passed in their country to prohibit US companies from dealing in tobacco products? I just wonder. And do not get upset: I love this great country of yours and I have plenty of wonderful American friends. And one last remark: Have you ever been to Branson, MO? If not, go. It is a real American place. I always love to go back there and visit. And yes, smoking is restricted there too. :-)

Allow me a few musings. Would a thread devoted to the "handles" which appear as user names on cc be of interest? I assume (and hope) that the writer (above) is an egyptologist. Yes, there are huge American tobacco cpmpanies, but the relevance of that to the impact of smoking on the health of Americans--and others--seems obscure. Smoking, alas, is still legal here. Though increasingly more difficult to do. At least in New York, where smoking even in city parks is now illegal. Indeed, about the only place you can safely--err, that is legally--smoke is in your own residence. Increasingly, coops and condos here are considering a no-smoking policy for new shareholders. Interestingly, the courts have upheld this restriction, though some boards continue to be leary of its adoption.

While most smoking Seabournites do abide by the rule of no cigars in cabin or balcony, some do not. Making an unpleasant situation intolerable.

Finally, may I say how much I appreciate reading comments from our cousins across the pond."Techy" is a word I would love to use, but I lack the courage.

Jrmuk and neophytus-

I am sure you have filled out these kinds of surveys. Depending on how you wangle the results, If I tick all of the boxes "very satisfied" except for smoking, where I click "not acceptable", I am 90+ % happy. If everyone who fills out the form does the same, the result is that 90+% of the passengers were very satisfied with SB.

That has nothing to do with 100% of the passengers being unhappy about smoking.

Writer 100 - Since I have just been a bit pompous about spelling on the bad experience on Spirit thread, I might as well add that I think the word is 'tetchy' - unless you mean we are technically minded, which some might be but I certainly am not. But tetchy is the right word for many, nonetheless, and please do not be afraid to use it.

My view on smoking is that I would love it to be banned on board everywhere but that is because I am a non smoker. However I do think that the level of smoking now generally is dramatically better than 10 or 20 years ago. I personally would like smoking banned in the Observation bar on Sojourn class ships as I remember when I was on there was a lovely singer and I was unable to listen to her for a full evening due to the smell of smoke.

We have to Live and Let live......smokers do go on holiday all over the world, a balance to me would be a ban in all public areas but it certainly won't stop me going on Seabourn again..............it is just too good to miss.

as Rl787 says ..............they could not enjoy the singer in the Observation Bar due to the smoking "

The issue is not so much now this minute but when Princess and all the other lines bring in their much stricter No Smoking Bans in 2012

Its then when Seabourn may be faced with a plethora of problems especially if they aim for the South American and Asian markets where Smoking is the norm

Writer 100 - Since I have just been a bit pompous about spelling on the bad experience on Spirit thread, I might as well add that I think the word is 'tetchy' - unless you mean we are technically minded, which some might be but I certainly am not. But tetchy is the right word for many, nonetheless, and please do not be afraid to use it.

Writer100 -Be "tetchy " by all means, unless of course you are a "techy". 'Cos there's nothing worse than a "tetchy techy" - it must be all those bytes:eek:

My dear Madam: I blush at the correction, but you are absolutely right. I've always taken a squealing delight in anglicisms, or its far-flung equivalents,e.g., "Oy, mate."(I hope I haven't offended my few friends down under.) I was desperately searching for a kiwiism, but couldn't think think of one.As for your being pompous, not at all. A little spot of indignation clears the mind and possibly arteries as well.

Marianh is also correct, and he is right to suspect that my, ah, technical abilities are limited. At the magazine where I worked for many years, it was widely believed that I gave up my manual Royal* for a PC only when the last typewriter repairman died.

*That's a brand name, not a claim that the machine in question had any majestic lineage. Nor did the copy it produced.

My view on smoking is that I would love it to be banned on board everywhere but that is because I am a non smoker. However I do think that the level of smoking now generally is dramatically better than 10 or 20 years ago. I personally would like smoking banned in the Observation bar on Sojourn class ships as I remember when I was on there was a lovely singer and I was unable to listen to her for a full evening due to the smell of smoke.

We have to Live and Let live......smokers do go on holiday all over the world, a balance to me would be a ban in all public areas but it certainly won't stop me going on Seabourn again..............it is just too good to miss.

Yes.

And was the singer the very talented ( and lovely) blonde lady who sang and played the white piano in the Observation lounge?

Sadly, I too had to quit before the end of her splendid performances, overcome by fumes exhaled by two women smokers.

I know of other passengers who would not use the lounge because of the smoking.

I shudder to think of the potential health effects on bartenders and entertainers who have to work in an atmosphere of second hand smoke. Unlike we guests, they have no choice.

Anyone remember the now deceased British entertainer Roy Castle who never ever smoked but performed in smokey establishments? Sadly he died prematurely of lung cancer.

As I have opined previously , surely it would be in the interests of all if smoking was banned in public areas and good quality , adequately sized and well appointed accommodation made for smokers. In this way smokers could exercise their freedom of choice to smoke and vice versa.

Please Seabourn ,listen to your customers. Spend a few bucks and reap a substantial dividend.

PS I am not an anti smoking per se. But I am for freedom of choice - and that cuts both ways.

Seabourn have been made very well aware of the feelings about smoking and that Princess etc have all extended their ban on various areas of the ship

They have also been requested to read this thread

Sadly they have stated they have no intention of changing things in the forseable future

So they have lost my business and no doubt plenty of others and yes i fondly remember the wonderful Roy Castles needless death from Lung Cancer due to inhalation of 2nd hand smoke

Maybe even the Entertainers on Seabourn will start refusing contracts then there will only be very poor quality ones available

I am scheduled for my first Seabourn cruise and was told by my travel agent that smoking was not allowed on the balconies or in the suites, so I happily reserved the balcony.

Come to find out this is not true.

I dont have a problem with smoking areas , I can avoid them.

But I do have a problem paying for a balcony if there is the possiblity that I wont be able to use it due to the smoke.

When I discussed with my TA the actual smoking policies, he took the position that I was to "militant" on my non-smoking stance.

I took the position that I dont need him as my TA anymore :mad:.

As for Seabourn, I dont intend to cancel my cruise, but unless they change their balcony smoking policies then I will be switching to a cheaper ocean view.

I know many people on these boards are Seabourn fans, and believe that the experience Seabourn offers far out weighs a little bothersome smoke.

But not everyone has that experience to make that decision.

Being a newbie to luxury cruising I'll admit its a hard decision, Seabourn is not the only choice out there. And after reading up on all the lines,

I dont think their is one luxury line out there that I couldnt enjoy ;-).

The reason I did finally decide on Seabourn was the itinerary, but honestly, if it werent for that, I might have been swayed to go with a different line because of Seabourns smoking policy.

I am sure Seabourn knows the smokers vs non-smoker numbers, if they have decided to keep lax smoking policies, there is a reason (probably financial) for that.

I wont hold it against them, but I am paying a lot of money to enjoy myself, and I dont mind shopping around.

I think you would be very unlucky (as some have been) to be significantly affected by a smoker on an adjacent balcony. We've been next to and above smokers, and all we've noticed is a very transient whiff occasionally, passing within seconds (after all, there is usually a nice sea breeze!) and not distressing. I do find smoke in an enclosed space (such as a bar) infinitely more offensive. While I would rather then suites and balconies were smoke-free, I'd probably settle for the suites being smoke-free as an interim compromise, as I'm much more fearful of inhabiting a suite after a heavy smoker than of being next to one in an outdoor space.

The kind of cleaning they can do in cabins normally eliminates the odours from heavy smokers however the wafting of smoke across balconies can be quite intense more so in hot climates where the breeze is not so effectice and of course when in port you will sure be affected

Crystal has the same stance on smoking sadly

Wheras Regent and Oceania, are definitely non smoking

The kind of cleaning they can do in cabins normally eliminates the odours from heavy smokers however the wafting of smoke across balconies can be quite intense more so in hot climates where the breeze is not so effectice and of course when in port you will sure be affected

Crystal has the same stance on smoking sadly

Wheras Regent and Oceania, are definitely non smoking

Crystal does not have the same policy. There is no smoking allowed on Crystal balconies!

Cands...Many thanks for updating me on Crystals policy of No Smoking on Balconies

Merry echo ...........If the heavy smoke smell in a cabin was not effectively dealt with by a cruiseline like you i would be extremely upset and be mnaking one hell of a fuss at pursers desk

IMHE .........I have known cabin stewards to completely strip a room of every inch of furnishings and replace with new to take out the smoking odour ..........maybe it depends on the cruiseline

Crystal does not have the same policy. There is no smoking allowed on Crystal balconies!

I am looking forward to my Sojourn cruise for next year and have been following this thread with a great deal of interest. Because Crystal Cruise Line was brought up I thought maybe some of you would be interested in their smoking policy, which has evolved over the years:

"At Crystal Cruises, we recognize that some of our guests smoke and others do not. Therefore, the living environment on our ships is designed to satisfy everyone. Most areas of the ships are non-smoking. There are designated smoking and non-smoking tables in most bars and lounges (except The Bistro, inside the Lido Café, Palm Court, Stardust, the Crystal Dining Room, Prego, Silk Road and The Sushi Bar restaurants, and the Galaxy Lounge, which are entirely smoke-free). Pipes and cigars are permitted only in the Connoisseur Club, and on the "open decks," except all areas of Lido Deck (deck 11 on Crystal Symphony, and deck 12 on Crystal Serenity). [Lido Deck is the pool deck on both ships.] Pipes and cigars may not be smoked in guest Penthouses, staterooms, on verandahs or in corridors. Crystal Cruises kindly asks its guests to observe the non-smoking areas, which have been created for the comfort and enjoyment of everyone on board.

Please note: Smoking is no longer allowed in Starlite Club (aboard Crystal Symphony) OR on verandahs of all staterooms and suites aboard both Crystal Symphony and Crystal Serenity. Smoking is permitted in select public areas, as designated above."

I don't plan to make it a habit of bringing up Crystal on this board, but it would be nice if Seabourn came up with a similar policy that respected smokers and non-smokers alike.

We are very antismoking but smoking on Seabourn has never bothered us. We always book a window guarantee. Then, if we get upgraded to a balcony (which we always do), we don't feel like we paid for a balcony we cannot use IF we have a smoker next door. And, we always have a smoker next door. When they are not using their balcony, we use our "free" balcony. We do not go to the Observation Lounge so smoking there does not both us. On open decks we have always been able to stay clear of smokers. And, we have never had a cabin that smelled like a smoker occupied it prior to us. We were on a plane recently and the person sitting next to us was definitely a smoker. Of course, he wasn't smoking, but, boy, did he smell bad. I am sure smokers do not realize how bad they smell even when not smoking. In fact, I prefer the smell of the actual smoke to the residue that is left on them.

Maybe we have missed some things on Seabourn because of dodging smoking areas, but we don't know what we missed and we have always had a truly great vacation.

"there are designated smoking and non smoking tables in most bars and lounges "

So both Crystal and Seabourne are way behind the times of virtually every resturant across the USA and the UK

Even Princess banned smoking in its bars and lounges a long time ago

As a recent cruiser on both Seabourn (small triplets) and Crystal Symphony, my experience was that Symphony was smokier inside.

There were certainly more indoor venues for smoking on Crystal. Pride and Spirit only had the one. (in the Observation Lounge), and this was used rarely, by smokers or non smokers.

I think a distinction needs to be made between getting an occasional whiff while outside and being stuck in an unventilated space surrounded by chain smokers. (Imagine a London Bar in the early 80s;))

Modern smokers are quite accustomed, and in most cases happy, to smoke out-doors.

Steve.

• 1 month later...

Archived