Smoking ?

phillipahain

Despite my invitations for anyone to come forward and justify smoking in the Observation Lounge, not one person has so done.

Is there anyone out there who supports smoking in this confined indoor space. And if so could you attempt to justify it please.

Hi,

I’m certainly not going to deny that second-hand smoke can be damaging to one’s health,

but we all do things that can damage another’s health,

for example

if you drive with a car/taxi ( to your cruise terminal ), your car/taxi produces carbon dioxide and fine dust, which is damaging to one’s health;

if you fly ( to your cruise port ), the plane’s emissions lead to decreases in the stratospheric ozone layer, which protects us from skin cancer

… one could go on

All public indoor places on Seabourn are forbidden for smoking,

except only one of the smaller indoor public spaces, the observation lounge,

and even in this observation lounge, only one corner, and even only when there is no high tea;

so let this corner to the smokers,

and non-smokers can enjoy all the other public indoor non-smoking places.

Kind regards,

Ralf

PS I don’t smoke

Hi,

I’m certainly not going to deny that second-hand smoke can be damaging to one’s health,

for example

if you drive with a car/taxi ( to your cruise terminal ), your car/taxi produces carbon dioxide and fine dust, which is damaging to one’s health;

if you fly ( to your cruise port ), the plane’s emissions lead to decreases in the stratospheric ozone layer, which protects us from skin cancer

… one could go on

and even in this observation lounge, only one corner, and even only when there is no high tea;

Kind regards,

Ralf

PS I don’t smoke

Won't work Seabourn needs to dedicate a ROOM period...none of this half room, sometimes yes sometimes no, except on Sundays and if your Grandma is onboard etc....ABSURD!:rolleyes:

Won't work Seabourn needs to dedicate a ROOM period...none of this half room, sometimes yes sometimes no, except on Sundays and if your Grandma is onboard etc....ABSURD!:rolleyes:

Hear Hear. Just one smoker in the Observation Bar/Lounge spoils the atmosphere for everyone in the room.:(

Hear hear!

And just to clarify matters, the Observation Bar on Quest/Odyssey/Sojourn is not a small indoor space. It is a large bar, popular pre-dinner especially, with a great piano player, a bartender and several wait staff, and lots of small groups alongside individuals meeting there for the views and general ambiance. Its capacity on this world cruise 2012 on a busy night is 50+.

Of course this is all spoiled when a few chainsmokers arrive and start spewing.

Why should the few who spoil the air for the rest choose to do so? I am guessing it's simply because they can! Now if they were at all concerned about the welfare of others they would step outside where it's permitted. The nearest space now is the starboard side of the Sky Bar.

Until Seabourn management decides to represent the non-smokers' viewpoint I regret that this unhealthy behavior will continue. To make this sensible change possible Seabourn management will finally have to make a decision. It's well past due... Will Seabourn show respect to the overwhelming number of passengers and get with the program? How about Jan., 2013, Seabourn?

Happy breathing in the Observation Bar in 2013!!!!

It seems quite useless, albeit perhaps personally satisfying to some, to rant and rave here. I think cruisers should write letters to Seabourn management in Seattle, voicing their displeasure and offering suggestions.

It seems quite useless, albeit perhaps personally satisfying to some, to rant and rave here. I think cruisers should write letters to Seabourn management in Seattle, voicing their displeasure and offering suggestions.

Yes agree JaneBP I think that it the way forward but it's good to have a bit of a rant! :)

Hi,

for example

… one could go on

Kind regards,

Ralf

PS I don’t smoke

But sadly it's not just the corner is it? And smoke lingers - who wants to get all ready and smell fresh and lovely to have it all spoilt by the stink of smoke in your hair, on your clothes?

Despite my invitations for anyone to come forward and justify smoking in the Observation Lounge, not one person has so done.

Is there anyone out there who supports smoking in this confined indoor space. And if so could you attempt to justify it please.

Interesting isn't it - cant believe there are smokers who read this board and who actually feel strongly enough about smokng in a confined space to the detriment of all others who won't comment. Maybe they don't want to be tarred with the same brush!

Interesting isn't it - cant believe there are smokers who read this board and who actually feel strongly enough about smokng in a confined space to the detriment of all others who won't comment. Maybe they don't want to be tarred with the same brush!

Now why would anyone enter this fist fight with an unfair advantage? I mean really! Don't you think this thread has gone on long enough? I am embarassed to have posted my information, but it just came out in the journals, that breathing second hand smoke can cause a lapsed smoker to re-lapse, or at least make it more difficult to abstain.

However I hold little hope that Seabuorn will change anything. I called Seattle yesterday to speak to someone at the Club Desk and was told there was no one in that position but 'they' hoped it might be filled sooner rather than later.

Now why would anyone enter this fist fight with an unfair advantage? I mean really! Don't you think this thread has gone on long enough? I am embarassed to have posted my information, but it just came out in the journals, that breathing second hand smoke can cause a lapsed smoker to re-lapse, or at least make it more difficult to abstain.

However I hold little hope that Seabuorn will change anything. I called Seattle yesterday to speak to someone at the Club Desk and was told there was no one in that position but 'they' hoped it might be filled sooner rather than later.

Hmmmm did Kristin leave?:confused::eek::confused:

I agree, JaneBP. I'm not a smoker and never have been but there's nothing new to add to this discussion. Everything has been said over and over. For the moment Seabourn does allow smoking in certain areas. Those who find that objectionable simply need to book another cruise line until the policy changes.

Actually I am pretty tired of discussing smoking. The level of the arguments tend to be pretty low after a while.

I have never been on Seabourn. The smallest ship I have been on is Azamara.

There you have only one place to smoke. Which is outside, but under roof.

But even there you had non-smokers passing by holding their noses. And there were comments and so on.

All smokers now that smoking is a health risk. And that second hand smoking is dangerous. But when people starts to argue that they are going to die because there is a smoking area on the other side of the deck and the ship is going in 18 knots with a cross wind, then there are no use of arguing.

So far this thread have been pretty civilized (even though it looks there are some that are trying to bring it down to a low level, but there are always fanatics around).

And hopefully it will stay civilized.

Cheers, Atle

For the moment Seabourn does allow smoking in certain areas. Those who find that objectionable simply need to book another cruise line until the policy changes.

And no doubt they will - in increasing numbers when they learn of the problem from threads like this. But isn't it sad that those of us who love to cruise with Seabourn and have supported them over many years are forced to move to more enlightened competitors because of the selfish, antisocial and uncaring behaviour of a very few smokers. When at minimum inconvenience to themselves smokers could enjoy their habit without affecting the majority of their fellow passengers.

It is a hallmark of civilised societies that rights ( to smoke) carry with them responsibilties to others. One gives and takes to achieve harmony. So come on Seabourn smokers face up to your responsibilities to others and let's have some give. Gift us a smoke free Observation Lounge - please.

PS Sorry about the poor layout above. My responses are in blue. Sad to say my computer skills are minimal - too old.

Actually I am pretty tired of discussing smoking. The level of the arguments tend to be pretty low after a while.

I have never been on Seabourn. The smallest ship I have been on is Azamara.

There you have only one place to smoke. Which is outside, but under roof.

But even there you had non-smokers passing by holding their noses. And there were comments and so on.

All smokers now that smoking is a health risk. And that second hand smoking is dangerous. But when people starts to argue that they are going to die because there is a smoking area on the other side of the deck and the ship is going in 18 knots with a cross wind, then there are no use of arguing.

So far this thread have been pretty civilized (even though it looks there are some that are trying to bring it down to a low level, but there are always fanatics around).

And hopefully it will stay civilized.

Cheers, Atle

Thank you for your comments even though you have not been on Seabourn. If you had, you would know that a very popular room - the Observation Lounge is being rendered uninhabitable by a very few selfish smokers. And the smoke concentrations are not trivial. Apart from the unpleasantness, the smoke poses a risk to the health of passengers and particularly employees who have to spend long hours in there.

Could I encourage you to try the Seabourn experience and judge for yourself. You wont regret it; but you may not enjoy the delights of the Panorama Lounge if the smokers are there.

And Azamara - interesting. We cruised when the ships were Renaissance Line. Their forward thinking smoking policy is great. May be forced to renew acquaintance with them.

And no I am not a fanatic!

I agree, JaneBP. I'm not a smoker and never have been but there's nothing new to add to this discussion.

WriPro - Maybe so. But threads like this are valuable sources of up to date information that is of use to past passengers and potential new ones in making informed decisions. And keeping the discussion alive means that should Seabourn read it, they will be in no doubt about the strength of feeling around this burning issue. Also, it may stimulate readers to write to Seabourn to express their discomfort - so why not do it - NOW!

Could I encourage you to try the Seabourn experience and judge for yourself. You wont regret it; but you may not enjoy the delights of the Panorama Lounge if the smokers are there.

And Azamara - interesting. We cruised when the ships were Renaissance Line. Their forward thinking smoking policy is great. May be to forced to renew acquaintance.

I will be on Sojourn in a couple of weeks and will check it out.

Personally I nearly cancelled the Azamara trip when I realized I could not smoke on my balcony.

But it turned out that the ship was pretty small, so it was not too far from any location on the ship.

And since there were only one smoking area, you got to know people very well. After a while even my wife ended up asking if we should go for a smoke..... and she does not smoke, nor like the smell.

The benefit with the smoking area was that it was below roof and the bar was close.

The drawback for those non-smokers that can't even stand the smell was that it could drift over to the closest sun lounges.

I don't mind going outside for a smoke. I have done that for the last 20 years (Even though it is a tad cold in -20 degrees)

But I don't like that I cannot smoke on my balcony. I really like sitting on my balcony with a cognac and a smoke before going to bed. (Luckely I can do so on Seabourn)

On small ships like the ones Seabourn have, I don't really see a problem having one smoking area.... as long as it is "properly" done. Meaning that it should for example not be on top deck exposed to all kind of weather.

But I will be better able to discuss Seabourn specific topic when I am back from Seajourn.

Cheers, Atle

all you need to do is scan through and see which "regulars" in here never comment on a smoking thread. That will tell you who they are.

recently in the Sky Bar of one of the small ships, one man smoked cigars every day. Big fat extremely smelly cigars. He usually sat at one of the CENTRE tables. The smoke and smell had no idea it had to stay starboard. The Sky Bar was a no go area for many people, because of one selfish person.

I will be on Sojourn in a couple of weeks and will check it out.

Personally I nearly cancelled the Azamara trip when I realized I could not smoke on my balcony.

But it turned out that the ship was pretty small, so it was not too far from any location on the ship.

And since there were only one smoking area, you got to know people very well. After a while even my wife ended up asking if we should go for a smoke..... and she does not smoke, nor like the smell.

The benefit with the smoking area was that it was below roof and the bar was close.

The drawback for those non-smokers that can't even stand the smell was that it could drift over to the closest sun lounges.

I don't mind going outside for a smoke. I have done that for the last 20 years (Even though it is a tad cold in -20 degrees)

But I don't like that I cannot smoke on my balcony. I really like sitting on my balcony with a cognac and a smoke before going to bed. (Luckely I can do so on Seabourn)

On small ships like the ones Seabourn have, I don't really see a problem having one smoking area.... as long as it is "properly" done. Meaning that it should for example not be on top deck exposed to all kind of weather.

But I will be better able to discuss Seabourn specific topic when I am back from Seajourn.

Cheers, Atle

Looks like we are on the same page re a dedicated area for smokers. In an earlier post I reflected on my experience on Cunard with their Cigar Lounge. It was a dedicated lounge for smokers of any persuasion ( well possibly not pot!) - not just cigars . Plushly furnished ( leather arm chairs a la gentleman's / gentleperson's Club) and its own bar. The atmosphere, apart from being very smoky of course ( but no problem as no non smokers there) was very convivial. Civilised discussions in civilised surroundings. Smoke to your hearts content without upsetting anyone. Only one gripe - some of the cigars on offer were fiendishly expensive ( but gorgeous). Happy days.

Enjoy the Sojourn.:)

I think space is an issue. Cunard QM2 carries 2700 cruisers. Not so on Seabourn.

I suspect space is not the issue - more a question of will in my opinion. The Cunard " Cigar Lounges" although splendidly appointed are not very large as I recall.( And my wife has just so confrmed ). And pro rated to Seabourns passenger complement, could easily be accommodated on a Seabourn ship. Particularly the big uns.

recently in the Sky Bar of one of the small ships, one man smoked cigars every day. Big fat extremely smelly cigars. He usually sat at one of the CENTRE tables. The smoke and smell had no idea it had to stay starboard. The Sky Bar was a no go area for many people, because of one selfish person.

Why did you not ask the staff to get him to at least move to the correct corner. Also next time get one of the staff to change his ashtray everytime he drops ash in it, might annoy him so much that he might get the message.

To the person who posted about the perfume/aftershave I am with you I find people who pour this on sometimes worse than smokers and that stuff can really make me sick.

If the smoker is what I call a clean smoker, good quality cigs. clean in themselves and clothing, clean ash tray as soon as the cig. is out. I find it not too bad, I know that does not help with the smoke but they have paid their dime and as far as I know we are lucky enough to live in a free world. How in the he** did we get to be old enough to afford a luxury cruise, with all our parents and or their friends, teachers etc. blowing smoke all over us!

Archived