What are the "latest" (tips) secrets onboard Celebrity?

Kancruze

I'm a newbie on Celebrity and was wondering if anyone has any of the latest tips for cruising on X.

I realize there's a very old thread similar to this one but I have to wonder if things available in 2008 are now redundant. It's kind of confusing actually cause if I read on here that something is free and find out it's no longer then it could be embarrassing and costly.

So please send me your little tips and hidden secrets which you've experienced in the recent past.

Thanks and happy travels,

Edie

Don't miss the ship.

Don't drink the water in the pool.

As you already realized and can see from many of the new threads things are constantly changing. It is a good idea to get some of peoples favorites things to do but don't go chasing them as miss out on exploring and finding something that you may find interesting. Many times we have gone out of our way to do something that some others have highly recommended only to be disappointed and thinking :confused: this is it?

Don't miss the ship.

Don't drink the water in the pool.

As you already realized and can see from many of the new threads things are constantly changing. It is a good idea to get some of peoples favorites things to do but don't go chasing them as miss out on exploring and finding something that you may find interesting. Many times we have gone out of our way to do something that some others have highly recommended only to be disappointed and thinking :confused: this is it?

LOL, well, some people are easily amused and entertained. ;)

Fried calamari in the MDR.

Extended room service menu is available for anyone.

Thanks, I will try the calamari. I love it if it's done right.

Now does anybody know if X still gives you champagne when you board and chocolates on your pillow?

Some of the other cruiselines have cut it out. Such a shame; I so loved having that little perk.

And where is the best place to wait if your room isn't ready when first boarding?

On the Century in May we were given champagne upon boarding, and also had the chocolates on the bed at night.

We head to the Aqua Spa restaurant for lunch - not as crowded and the grilled Salmon and Chicken are excellent.

Also Celebrity makes their own ice cream and it is very good including the sugar free.

On the Century in May we were given champagne upon boarding, and also had the chocolates on the bed at night.

We head to the Aqua Spa restaurant for lunch - not as crowded and the grilled Salmon and Chicken are excellent.

Also Celebrity makes their own ice cream and it is very good including the sugar free.

Can someone in 1-C class eat at Aqua Spa or is it just for suite passengers?

I'm impressed that X makes their own ice cream. Yummy. Will try for sure.

Yes, you still get sparkling wine upon boarding, and chocolates on the bed each night. As someone else said...just explore the ship on your own...there are places where even on a sea day you can find solitude and total relaxation !!

The sugar free is not made on board. The best sugar free icecream is the dark chocolate ice cream. They had it on the MDR lunch menu the first sea day on the Summit, but when I asked for it again at dinner they looked at me like I had horns(during the galley tour they said sf ice cream is in the freezer and not made on board). NOT very accomodating. Never had it again even though they had it in the freezer.

The sugar free is not made on board. The best sugar free icecream is the dark chocolate ice cream. They had it on the MDR lunch menu the first sea day on the Summit, but when I asked for it again at dinner they looked at me like I had horns(during the galley tour they said sf ice cream is in the freezer and not made on board). NOT very accomodating. Never had it again even though they had it in the freezer.

Weird, huh? Wonder why they dole it out like gold? A sort of 24K chocolate! lol

I couldn't believe my eyes. Last week on Century, poutine (fries, gravy and cheese curds) was available during lunch in the buffet area. I was so surprised I didn't ask if this is to be a staple or if there was a large number of French Canadians onboard to warrant this item.

Weird, huh? Wonder why they dole it out like gold? A sort of 24K chocolate! lol

On our two Millenium cruises this year the SF ice creams in the Buffet were alternated - chocolate was there every two or three days - it is my partners favourite and was always looking for it!

I couldn't believe my eyes. Last week on Century, poutine (fries, gravy and cheese curds) was available during lunch in the buffet area. I was so surprised I didn't ask if this is to be a staple or if there was a large number of French Canadians onboard to warrant this item.

My family is from Deep French Quebec.

We never heard of this poutine till the 90's when it came out for tourists..we used to joke about it as places that served it called it an "old French Canadian tradition".

We had curds(would give anything to have some of St, Joseph's cheese), as this was where I grew up. We used to eat them with beer or by themselves.

And always "fries and gravy", was on any menu...but fries, gravy, and curds is a new thing!!!

Not an old French Canadian tradition

On our two Millenium cruises this year the SF ice creams in the Buffet were alternated - chocolate was there every two or three days - it is my partners favourite and was always looking for it!

With so many recommendations, I'm making sure to try out the SF chocolate ice cream and the homemade ones of course. Oh what the heck, I'll try them all. :D

Quote from Nan-L: "My family is from Deep French Quebec.

We never heard of this poutine till the 90's when it came out for tourists..we used to joke about it as places that served it called it an "old French Canadian tradition".

We had curds(would give anything to have some of St, Joseph's cheese), as this was where I grew up. We used to eat them with beer or by themselves.

And always "fries and gravy", was on any menu...but fries, gravy, and curds is a new thing!!!

Not an old French Canadian tradition".

I did not know that and I'm from Canada. Here in Western Can. we have been told it was a French Canadian tradition too. Looks like it was just a sales gimmick to sell more fries. lol Oh well, the kids sure do gobble them up but I'm like you, I prefer cheese on its own and not gunked up with gravy! :eek:

My family is from Deep French Quebec.

Not an old French Canadian tradition

I don't mean to hijack this thread and make it all about poutine :) but thought I would clarify some facts. Here is what wikipedia has to say about the origins of poutine:

"The dish originated in rural Quebec, in the late 1950s. Several communities claim to be the birthplace of poutine, including Drummondville, Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, and Victoriaville. One often-cited tale is that of Fernand Lachance, from Warwick, Quebec, which claims that poutine was invented in 1957.[7] Lachance is said to have exclaimed ça va faire une maudite poutine ("it will make a damn mess"), hence the name. The sauce was allegedly added later, to keep the fries warm longer."

Being born in a small town between Drummondville and Victoriaville in the 1960s, I can assure you that it's been around all my life. A vast majority of restaurants serving fries in that region would and still also serve poutine. It might have been brought to the attention of tourists in the 1990s though....

Anyhow, I wouldn't call it traditional Quebecois cuisine as "tourtière" and "ragoût de pattes" would be...;)

The Aqua Spa is open to everyone, it is only open for breakfast and lunch but is fantastic. :D

If this is the first trip on Celebrity, you may not know that at the Aqua Spa, you have to ask for the grilled salmon or other hot lunches and they'll make it for you. It isn't available on the quasi buffet line.

Also, I've not found any free ice cream on board other than after dinner; so I'm assuming the ice cream they are talking about is for sale.

One other thing that's been mentioned many times before; there are some very nice pastries at the specialty coffee bars. These are available for free and not contingent on purchasing a coffee.

If I remember correctly, it is always available at lunchtime in the buffet area. Love their homemade ice cream!

It is indeed. From 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. if I remember correctly. The S class also have the ice cream gelato on the 5th floor oposite the café. You have to pay for this, but it is better still than the free stuff.

I'm a newbie on Celebrity and was wondering if anyone has any of the latest tips for cruising on X. I realize there's a very old thread similar to this one but I have to wonder if things available in 2008 are now redundant. It's kind of confusing actually cause if I read on here that something is free and find out it's no longer then it could be embarrassing and costly. So please send me your little tips and hidden secrets which you've experienced in the recent past. Thanks and happy travels, Edie

Glad to know you will be on the Solstice and finishing in Barcelona. That Spain city is super wonderful. From the below live/blog posting you can see lots and lots of large pictures and details on the Solstice and Barcelona, etc. How much time will you have in Barcelona at the end of your cruise? It deserves and merits a full day or two or more. So much charm, history and great architecture there. Below are a few sample pictures for some of our favorite areas on the Solstice, plus in Barcelona.

For Speciality Dining Photos/Tips,check this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1434523&page=2

Don't be shy!! The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask. Keep researching and planning. It is very helpful.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 28,562 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

The Solarium was one of our favorite areas. Food and drinks were nearby and it was very relaxed and sophisticated. Quieter, too, as it is an adults-only area. Two hot tubs here. Not crowded, especially in the evenings. Nice art and design with this sparkling ship facility.:

SolsticeSolariumSunnyDay.jpg

This is a view of the Solstice main pool area. Love the sun and activities here!:

SolsticeMainPoolView2.jpg

Here are some examples of the architectural variety in Barcelona, especially with the many different building domes, towers, balconies, etc. Very interesting and artistic in this city!!:

BarcelFlagDomeTowerTops.jpg

BarcelBalconiesDomeTopSun.jpg

I liked to ride one of the eight glass elevators in the mid-ship courtyard with nice views out to the different floors, enjoying the ship architecture, people being active, etc.:

SolsticeElevatorsGlassHighView.jpg

When the sun was setting as the Solstice sailed from Rome to Naples, here was the visual on the back lawn on the ship’s top, back level. Dramatic and beautiful!!:

SolsticeSunsetBackLawn.jpg

If this is the first trip on Celebrity, you may not know that at the Aqua Spa, you have to ask for the grilled salmon or other hot lunches and they'll make it for you. It isn't available on the quasi buffet line.

Also, I've not found any free ice cream on board other than after dinner; so I'm assuming the ice cream they are talking about is for sale.

One other thing that's been mentioned many times before; there are some very nice pastries at the specialty coffee bars. These are available for free and not contingent on purchasing a coffee.

You're missing out because the free ice cream is really good! They also have toppings, Choc. Etc and M&Ms, gummy bears and several other goodies to put on your ice cream. They are free also.

Dumb question from a non-american : is gelato something different from ordinary ice-cream and should I be intensifying my pre-cruise diet to accommodate my forthcoming gelato consumption?

Lyndon

It's super creamy because it doesn't have air whipped into it, like ice cream. The pistachio I had was out of this world.

Dumb question from a non-american : is gelato something different from ordinary ice-cream and should I be intensifying my pre-cruise diet to accommodate my forthcoming gelato consumption?

Lyndon

I think "gelato" is an Italian term, not an American one. I think it's made slightly differently than ice cream, but mostly the different terms are for marketing. Similar to why California has to call their product "sparkling wine" rather than champagne now-a-days.

Archived