What are the "latest" (tips) secrets onboard Celebrity?

Kancruze

I agree that HAL libraries, while not as flashy looking, offer more substance. I think HAL demographics might account for the higher utilization of their libraries. They also offer free online limited access to the New York Times on their adjacent internet cafe.

The best library at sea is far and away that on the QM2 with over 8,000 volumes, professional librarians attending, and a nice accompanying bookstore with a particularly excellent collection of maritime material.

My avatar shows me in my favorite corner of that library.:)

Agree, the QM2 library was special and they controlled the checkout like a community library. Now, I download a few books on my iPad and am set for a couple of weeks.

The books on Infinity looked like leftovers from a community library book sale.

Agree, the QM2 library was special and they controlled the checkout like a community library. Now, I download a few books on my iPad and am set for a couple of weeks.

The books on Infinity looked like leftovers from a community library book sale.

I do the love the 'feel' of a good book in my hand but I'm thinking I probably should break down and buy either a Kindle(of some sort) or an iPad. I guess it would come in handy being out in the middle of the Atlantic with nothing to read.

One of things I like best about my Kindle, is how many books I can carry. On our last cruise, I bought and downloaded "Pirate Latitudes" by Michael Crichton. When we got on board, I wanted something lighter to read. Instead of the pirate book, I read all 5 of the Percy Jackson books.

I do the love the 'feel' of a good book in my hand but I'm thinking I probably should break down and buy either a Kindle(of some sort) or an iPad. I guess it would come in handy being out in the middle of the Atlantic with nothing to read.

Sound like a good plan and need given the trans Atlantic sailing. Personally, I would lean towards the iPad option. That gives you more flexibility in having music, movies, plus books loaded on it. PLUS, the Solstice tech staff is more focused and skilled with Apple products.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 29,246 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I agree, there is nothing like the feel of a book and the paper as you turn the pages, but I did go with the I-Pad, and have taken it on the last couple of cruises.

The Celebrity staff is very knowledgeable and had me set up on the Internet in no time.

In regard to the "poutine", there is the "poutine rapie" which you can only now get in restaurants in the French Canadian Provinces. My hubby is excited if they can serve that onbard the ship. Not my fav, but he enjoys it.

Don't be in a rush to book treatments at the spa. On our last Celebrity

cruise ,there were reduced daily specials posted on an erase board in

front of the spa, as well as the usual specials listed in the Celebrity Today daily.

Because business was pretty slow, there were also a few things I hadn't seen before. There were reasonably priced 15 minute neck and shoulder

massages at the pool, and, towards the end of the cruise, there was a box in front of the spa where you could bid on how much you wanted to pay for certain procedures. I don't know how liberal the spa was in accepting low bids, but because business was slow, I'm sure some cruisers got some real bargains.

The bottom line, be patient....

Thank you for starting this thread. I am a long time RCI cruiser but new to Celebrity and am taking notes from this thread. Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

Just my two cents worth - Gelato and Ice Cream are very different. It's like comparing an M&M with Godiva Chocolates. Gelato is made with fresh ingredients, kept at a warmer temperature, has a different fat content, etc. It comes from Italy (there are gelato shops everywhere), and you will never look at ice cream the same way again. Gelato is wonderful and worth the extra charge (as long as the charge is reasonable). Try it, you'll see what I mean.

Now, back to tips.....

Any suggestions on which night to book a specialty restaurant. The RCI menus were rotated regularly, so we always knew to book on Wednesdays. We will be on the Eclipse - 7 day Eastern Caribbean. Thanks!

Thank you for starting this thread. I am a long time RCI cruiser but new to Celebrity and am taking notes from this thread. Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

Just my two cents worth - Gelato and Ice Cream are very different. It's like comparing an M&M with Godiva Chocolates. Gelato is made with fresh ingredients, kept at a warmer temperature, has a different fat content, etc. It comes from Italy (there are gelato shops everywhere), and you will never look at ice cream the same way again. Gelato is wonderful and worth the extra charge (as long as the charge is reasonable). Try it, you'll see what I mean.

Now, back to tips.....

Any suggestions on which night to book a specialty restaurant. The RCI menus were rotated regularly, so we always knew to book on Wednesdays. We will be on the Eclipse - 7 day Eastern Caribbean. Thanks!

Hi Lori,:) Eclipse sails Saturday to Saturday and formal nights will be

Sunday and Thursday. Just to make you aware so you can decide

if you want to do the dining room on those evenings or do one of

the Specialty Restaurants.;)

And the Gelato is usually 2.00/3.00 (depends on the size of the cup).

Thank you, Lois!:) I think we'll do the first formal night, Sunday. I've heard the second formal night is lobster night and that the lobster in Blu is wonderful. do you agree?

Hi Lori,:) you are in AQ class? I was there once but never had the

Lobster so I cannot give you an informed answer.

Thank you, Lois!:) I think we'll do the first formal night, Sunday. I've heard the second formal night is lobster night and that the lobster in Blu is wonderful. do you agree?

I agree that Blu is wonderful apart from the lobster!

We had lobster in Blu a few weeks ago and neither of us liked it, it was completely tasteless. My DH says it was because it was fresh water lobster! Other than that we loved all our meals in Blu, particularly breakfast. :)

t l ohio: i am booked on the solstice for july 2012, the same itinerary. can you please email me the name of the taxi company you used to get from the airport to the ship and the cost. thank you. bdouglas5333@yahoo.com

For Barcelona, we did not have have a specific taxi company booked ahead or used. It was "pot luck" on the cab coming up at the airport and cost around 30 euro for the trip in to our hotel, including the added costs for luggage. It was less than 20 euro from our hotel to the ship. Fortunately, the airport in Barcelona is not that far away and is easy to manage and use, unlike Heathrow, Paris de Gaulle, Rome, etc. Hope this helps.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 29,498 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I agree that Blu is wonderful apart from the lobster!

We had lobster in Blu a few weeks ago and neither of us liked it, it was completely tasteless. My DH says it was because it was fresh water lobster! Other than that we loved all our meals in Blu, particularly breakfast. :)

I disliked the lobster as well. The tangerine was WAY too strong for myself.

TO NAN-L and LINEL,

Another Quebecer checking in !!

:):)

Interesting observations… I grew up in the same timeframe.

My area of the Province… we certainly spent our teenage years consuming French Fries & Gravy (a notable Quebec Cuisine item in its own right)… BEST when it wasn’t JUST Chicken or Brown Gravy… but actual BBQ Gravy… ala St Hubert style.

NEVER did I see Cheese Curds added into the mix until I was an Adult in the 1980s or 90s. And I spent a fair bit of time as a child / youth in the Monteregie & Eastern Townships Regions of the Province summering with relatives (although to be fair, they'd be primarily English Speaking Relatives... Valleyfield - Ormstown - Havelock - Hemmingford - Lacolle - Napierville - St Hubert - Chambly - Mont Sutton)

As stated… and Wikipedia confirms it... Poutine is NOT a long standing Quebecois Cuisine item… from all accounts it looks like it only has been around since the late 1950s or 60s.

Lol, compared to Quebec’s incredible history of 400+ years (the oldest settlement in North America)… at just 50 Years or so, Poutine can hardly be called an OLD French Canadian Tradition by any stretch !!

:rolleyes::rolleyes: (Double Rolling the Eyeballs)

We appologize for the interuption... and now return you to regular Cruise Critic Programming ;)

Cheers!

I'm from the deep french area,in the Beauce, in a very small town, La Guadeloupe,near St-Georges. My Uncle was born and raised there and we go back to the 1600's. Moved to Levis late and kepted the old house in the Beauce, still had a wood burning stove, My aunt would only cook her ragout on it as she said it didn't taste the same in electric stoves..in the 70's they actually put a toilet in the house!!! THat's something you don't forget!!

NO ONE spoke English and in my family I'm, one of the 1st first to speak english! Like I said earlier, never heard of this till the late 80's early 90's when my uncle and I went to Quebec City and saw it written on a sign behind the Chateu.

• 2 months later...
My family is from Deep French Quebec.

We never heard of this poutine till the 90's when it came out for tourists..we used to joke about it as places that served it called it an "old French Canadian tradition".

We had curds(would give anything to have some of St, Joseph's cheese), as this was where I grew up. We used to eat them with beer or by themselves.

And always "fries and gravy", was on any menu...but fries, gravy, and curds is a new thing!!!

Not an old French Canadian tradition

Meanwhile, I was eating loads of it in central Ontario in the late 80s/early 90s. lol.

After cruising in Solstice and Eclipse, I had no idea that anyone could dine at breakfast and lunch in Blu. Good to know. EDIT: Wait a minute. You don't mean Blu. You are talking about that little buffet section next to the pool in the solarium? I have eaten there. Didn't know that they did grilled salmon though.

Re: tips/secrets, we were able to save 20% on booking a specialty restaurant following a cooking demonstration one day. We also received a good deal on two massages during a port day. And with a massage, you get to use the relaxation room. This is a room with nice loungers, tea and water, and an amazing view. We had our massage just before pushing off from one of the ports. So we were able to watch us leave the port and sail into the sun in this wonderful room and we were the only two people there. Very nice way to watch the sunset.

Archived