Expensive SPA treatments onboard

sollan

In MHO the SPA treatments onboard ships are very, very expensive. Have been on one X cruise and are going on RCI in november and have compared the onboard prices with the landbased.

I live in Sweden (that isn't very cheap...) and I notice that the onboard prices are about 20 - 30 % more expensive than home. 15 % NOT included...

For example; a 50 min Swedish massage that costs about 110 USD (total) is priced to about 135 USD (not including the 15 %) on RCL. The landbased prices varies of course, you can find these "sea prices" on very classy places.

During our cruise I noticed that the SPA wasn't very crowded and I can see why.

Wouldn't it be more profitable to lower the prices a bit and have the SPA filled up? :confused: Personally I certainly would pamper my self with more SPA treatments in that case. :D (I know that they have "special" prices on harbour days, but it's still high prices...)

I do also wonder how high the landbased SPA prices in your places, compared with the ship prices?

What are your thoughts about this? Or am I just whining....;)

I'm in FLorida and you are ABSOLUTELY right. Spa prices are more than 30% higher on board, and usually not done as well as land based spas. I can get an 80 Minute deep tissue massage for $80 here, on board would be more than $150.00.

I just don't use the Spa anymore, except for the gym.

I think the spa prices are too high also. They did a special price for me on Eclipse for a hot stone massage. It was still expensive. I did it on a whim, got an appointment straight away and the place was empty. They were hawking treatments on my last trip. If they reduced the prices, more people would go and they'd do better.

Phil

Agreed, prices are very high and the service is about 100% worse than on land. Even the best land spa's I have been to are far less expensive than on board.

On our last cruise DH and I both sprung for massages, mine was terrible, the girl didn't even FINISH my massage (one side of my body left un massaged), she did however have time to set up about 7 products on her counter that I "needed" to purchase. :mad:

You are right on the money. A one hour massage in Northern

Virginia runs between $60-70. It is much more expensive onboard.

You are also subjected to a "post treatment" sales pitch for every

spa product they use, and the aforementioned 15% gratuity.

Spa sales were slow on our last cruise. The Spa posted discounted

treatments daily on a board outside the Spa. They also had option to

bid on how much you would pay for a particular treatment.....so, be

alert. Depending on the cruise, some prices will change, either in your

daily "Celebrity Today", or outside the Spa

I also agree (and you're not whining). Land-based treatments are significantly less expensive. I haven't had a cruise-based spa treatment in years due to this. It is such a shame, it would be so wonderful to enjoy a couple of massages and a foot rub during a cruise.

The other component is the sales pitch at the end of the massage to buy their products. I learned to tell them at the beginning that I would prefer if they would omit the sales pitch and they pleasantly complied.

It is a shame.

I must confess that I've never spent a cent in a Spa. The Spas are owned and operated by a private contractor. They set the prices. The staff are not employees of Celebrity, but the contractor. The most frequent complaints concerning spas seems to be the upselling of products. A search on this board will reveal some interesting stories, like the one about selling wrinkle cream to a woman of very advanced years. One employee once told me how she hates the practice, but her income largely depends on it. You have the choice to indulge or, as I do, stay away.

I forgot to add something very important to my post. Depending

on where you are cruising.......last year I got a one hour massage,

on the beach, at the Marriott Resort in St Kitt's , for $35.....complete

with freshly squeezed aloe. I'm sure there are similar opportunities in

other ports, but this was really a great bargain.

I think the prices onboard are comparable to the higher end spas in the Chicago area. However, the service and ambiance you get onboard do not equal the quality of those higher end spas. I used to get a massage every cruise, but with these prices I never do anymore. I agree- why not lower prices a bit and actually fill up the place?! I also hate the heavy handed sales pitch at the end. I always tell them I don't want to hear it and they still try - albeit sometimes it is a much softer sell than normal. Guess it doesn't matter that much to me anymore as I am now priced out of those services :) Between spa prices and other escalating up-pricing on things like Specialty restaurants, Celebrity does not seem to get the concept that slightly LOWER prices will fill the venue. Instead the raise them to squeeze more out of fewer. Don't get it. I know the spas are owned independently, but I'm sure there is some type of negotiation with X over what appropriate charges will be. I can't see them contracting with them and giving them a total carte blanche to operate, and charge, however they feel like.

Totally agree. For our next cruise, I'm actually taking the day before we fly off and I'll go get a massage, pedi, haircut, and wax that day. All four will probably run me about the same as a massage onboard, and I won't have to deal with the sales pitches.

I must confess that I've never spent a cent in a Spa. The Spas are owned and operated by a private contractor. They set the prices. The staff are not employees of Celebrity, but the contractor. The most frequent complaints concerning spas seems to be the upselling of products. A search on this board will reveal some interesting stories, like the one about selling wrinkle cream to a woman of very advanced years. One employee once told me how she hates the practice, but her income largely depends on it. You have the choice to indulge or, as I do, stay away.

Yes, I do know that Elemis operates the SPA business on X and RCI but they are still more expensive than the landbased operations. It must be other SPA operators than them that they could contract? Maybe with an other approach to the customer and employee? I got the feeling that the employees in the SPA mainly are young and not very experienced and therefore are underpaid. And have to do the selling to get a deasent earning.

It must be nicer for the cruiseline to have a lot of guests that have a positive experience of the SPA?

I can of course stay away from the SPA but it IS nice to be able to pamper yourself on such a special trip that a cruise is. But because of the overprices I will just do one - instead of three....or four...;)

In MHO the SPA treatments onboard ships are very, very expensive. Have been on one X cruise and are going on RCI in november and have compared the onboard prices with the landbased.

I live in Sweden (that isn't very cheap...) and I notice that the onboard prices are about 20 - 30 % more expensive than home. 15 % NOT included...

For example; a 50 min Swedish massage that costs about 110 USD (total) is priced to about 135 USD (not including the 15 %) on RCL. The landbased prices varies of course, you can find these "sea prices" on very classy places.

During our cruise I noticed that the SPA wasn't very crowded and I can see why.

Wouldn't it be more profitable to lower the prices a bit and have the SPA filled up? :confused: Personally I certainly would pamper my self with more SPA treatments in that case. :D (I know that they have "special" prices on harbour days, but it's still high prices...)

I do also wonder how high the landbased SPA prices in your places, compared with the ship prices?

What are your thoughts about this? Or am I just whining....;)

We were looking forward to the Spa on Equinox but were put off completely by the prices which are way higher than the good quality Spa my wife uses in the UK, and at least 15% higher than we found on P&O Ventura last year. And on Ventura there were lots of offers, competitions and real discounts as they had a far more enterprising approach - for example we did a "speed spa" where you could get 15 minute versions of about 8 treatments at a very reasonable price. My daughter had one treatment on Equinox as she was told she had "won" a $50 discount but wasn't impressed with the quality or service for what she got. Shame really because we loved pretty much everything else we experienced on the Equinox.

In today's economic climate, I think they are just too high. We had a fab cruise on the Eclipse in June and for the first time ever on a ship, I did not have any treatments. I'm sure they struggled to sell the slots and I agree that the heavy sales pitch afterwards, kinds of takes away the benefits of the relaxing treatment. Susie

On the connie in Feb the SPA was definitely not used and on most Sea days they had set up an area in the solarium where you could sign up for a 15 minute taster session for free . So I had a hot stone shoulder massage, foot massage and head massage (45 mins in total) for nothing.:D

However, it did mean that i had to listen to a very hard sell to get me to book a full treatment at the full price immediately, but I just walked away.

At the flagship elemis spa in London a signature stone massage is £92 ($147) with tip that would be about £100 ($160) however on the ship with the added tip it’s always over $200!!!

It is a shame because if they just lowered their prices I would be in there everyday :eek:

It may be because were from the UK or just lucky but I have never had the hard sell to but products after a treatment

Agree, they need to control elmis or get a new contracter. We will never again go after being over. Charged mistreated, insulted then offered a "make up" treatment that we were insulted again. By the end my wife didnt even want to go to the gym just to avoid the Spa employees. I always mark down the spa on my comment card and cite the reason. My feeling is so llong as X is getting its "rent" they turn a blind eye to the gym. Sad.

To me the spa treatments are twice the price for half as good. I think many others agree as the spa personel are usually standing around plus all those deal fliers that are constantly being distributed should indicate something. Even at the bargain discount prices they are not worth it for me.

That is my opinion but what do I know. I drink tap water.

OK, so here's the solution.... we get together with everyone in our Roll Call and split the cost of bringing a massage therapist on the cruise. I bet we could get enough people to cover the cost and split the time for massages. :D

OK, so here's the solution.... we get together with everyone in our Roll Call and split the cost of bringing a massage therapist on the cruise. I bet we could get enough people to cover the cost and split the time for massages. :D

Hey guys - I'm a qualified therapist - anyone want to pay for my next cruise !!

That's actually an intriguing concept. 10 people, for example, could chip in and offer cruise fare for the massage therapist and a friend/spouse/partner, and in return get, say, 2 hours of treatments each. The therapist brings a massage table and other accompanying items, and could do additional treatments at a pre-determined price. Of course Celebrity wouldn't like that at all... no cash could be exchanging hands aboard ship... not even sure if Cruise Critic would allow that kind of thing to be posted. Of course, this is all a purely speculative discussion about a theoretical subject. ;)

Hi Everyone,

I did a quick comparison shopping and came up with the following info for services I have used in the past, and am most likely to use again... and those same services IF I was to use them on a cruise with Celebrity (numbers are based on 2 Spas that I have used here at home and Celebrity's Website Listing of Current Prices)

ALL Prices are Quoted PRIOR to TIPS (15 to 20% here at home... 18% on Celebrity)

SPA TREATMENTS ------> COST @ HOME = COST ON A CELEBRITY CRUISE

* Brow Sculpting ... ... ... $ 10 to $ 15 CDN = ... ... ... $ 68.60 CDN

* Skin Specific Facial ... ... $ 85 to $ 120 CDN = ... ... $ 132.09 CDN

* 60 Minute Relaxing Massage $ 75 to $ 100 CDN = $ 132.09 to $ 143.19 CDN

* Soothing Pedicure ... ... ... $ 65 to $ 75 CDN = ... ... $ 72.15 to $ 77.70 CDN

* Repolish / Touch-Up ... ... $ 15 to $ 20 CDN = ... ... $ 21.09 CDN

So YES, generally speaking Spa Treatments for me would cost more on the Cruise than at home.

Although it looks like Hand & Nail Treatments are pretty competitive (at least in my market). BUT then again, it is a known fact that these are the items that typically bring ladies into the Spa in the first place... and if you have a good enough experience, you are willing to purchase more treatments.

Totally agree. For our next cruise, I'm actually taking the day before we fly off and I'll go get a massage, pedi, haircut, and wax that day. All four will probably run me about the same as a massage onboard, and I won't have to deal with the sales pitches.

Have to agree with MSPINK98... I will most likely set up all my "get cruise ready" appointments for the days before we leave...

Although it is good to know that if my feet are sore, tired or the polish is chipping away that I won't be spending an arm & a leg (funny pun :D ) to remedy the situation.

--- --- ---

PS... When I dropped by the Celebrity Cruise Website to do my costing research... I was asked to take a short survey... AGE (Over 25?) - YEAR OF BIRTH - and OCCUPATION (Multiple Choice) ... that was a first.

Cheers!

I have only experienced the spa on HAL, so I don't know what they do on Celebrity. Do they run port day specials? On HAL in April I got a "special" 20/20/20 as they call it. It is a choice of three separate 20-minute treatments for $99 (they have a list of about 6 or 7 different treatments from which to choose). I thought it was a great way to experience a few different types of treatments at a good price.

:) :)

Agree, they need to control elmis or get a new contracter. We will never again go after being over. Charged mistreated, insulted then offered a "make up" treatment that we were insulted again. By the end my wife didnt even want to go to the gym just to avoid the Spa employees. I always mark down the spa on my comment card and cite the reason. My feeling is so llong as X is getting its "rent" they turn a blind eye to the gym. Sad.

I totally agree. Rude and arrogant employees who expect extra tips on top of the automatic 15% on the charge card! My last manicure was a disaster and the manicurist was totally distracted and arrogant! Never again!!!!!!!!!

It doesn't surprise me that the prices on the cruise ship are much higher than our local massage businesses. I think you'd find this in any nicer hotel or resort as well.

We haven't had a massage in some time but the ones we've had on board were always great. Only thing that bothered me was the occasional hard sell for extremely high priced lotions and such.

My wife once had her nails done on board only to find that the polish they use self destructs in sea water. Complaints got sympathy but nothing else.

Archived