How strenuous is the tour of the alhambra in granada?

Erin Dreamer

We will be on the Royal Caribbean tour that stops in Malaga, Spain in September. One of the tours that really interests us is the one to the Alhambra. I have arthritic knees and walk slowly. I go on cruise tours because I would rather experience discomfort and get to see new places, as long as I think I can handle the discomfort. If I can be at the end of the tour group or if I can sit down someplace for a couple of minutes periodically, that would help. I could skip the gardens,although I noticed one member on a message board said her tour went to lunch near the gardens. I can probably walk for an hour (with difficulty) with a couple of stops, but I have to walk a bit slowly. Can someone who has been on the Alhambra tour from a cruise ship tell me their experience? The write-up says "good physical condition." I realize that the tour company has to cover their bases so this might not mean I have to be a marathon runner. GRIN!! I do work out every day so I am in good shape other than having a walking problem. Thank you for any input.

We will be on the Royal Caribbean tour that stops in Malaga, Spain in September. One of the tours that really interests us is the one to the Alhambra. I have arthritic knees and walk slowly. I go on cruise tours because I would rather experience discomfort and get to see new places, as long as I think I can handle the discomfort. If I can be at the end of the tour group or if I can sit down someplace for a couple of minutes periodically, that would help. I could skip the gardens,although I noticed one member on a message board said her tour went to lunch near the gardens. I can probably walk for an hour (with difficulty) with a couple of stops, but I have to walk a bit slowly. Can someone who has been on the Alhambra tour from a cruise ship tell me their experience? The write-up says "good physical condition." I realize that the tour company has to cover their bases so this might not mean I have to be a marathon runner. GRIN!! I do work out every day so I am in good shape other than having a walking problem. Thank you for any input.

You may want to contact the cruiseline and ask them the specifics and relate your condition as there is a lot of walking,the grounds being quite large,and they have to move the tours along as others follow close.You may be able to sit at some of the stops when they are talking about the area,but there may not be places to sit.I really would contact RC and also post this on the RC board.

The Alhambra wuld be difficult if you have trouble walking. I did the "ship tour" last year and several people had problems. There is a lot of walking and a lot of uneven floors that have "canals" that run water for the fountains. Plus there are steps everywhere. One man fell and had to go to the hospital. The Alcarzar in Seville is a smaller version of the Alhambra if you're ship is going to Cadiz. I liked that just as much. Good luck.

I just went to the Alhambra on our own from a hotel stay in Malaga, and not with a cruise tour. I had been twice before quite some time ago, but I wanted to show my 10 year old one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.

(The Alcazar in Sevilla, while very worthy of seeing, is not on the same level of beauty, design, history, or significance.)

There is indeed a lot of walking to cover the gardens and palaces. From the entrance, the Palacios Nazaries, is a 20 minute walk from the entrance.

Because the Alhambra is so exceptionally wonderful, if it were me, I would do all in my power to see it.

Perhaps you could discuss with the tour guide on how you could make some modifications so you could walk slowly, seeing the highlights, and meet up with the tour group at certain locations?

There are places to sit throughout. in the Palacio Nazaries, there are several seats in each large room.

If you can't be with the tour guide for the entire time, you could get an audio handset. It's easy to use- you punch in the number corresponding to the sign at the sights.

You could also consider taking a cane seat, which would assist you in walking and give you and instant seat when you need it:

http://www.amazon.com/Wes-Enterprises-SC2073-Aluminum-Seat/dp/B004IJ9E74/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1313150840&sr=8-9

Best wishes,

Helen

Edited by helencw

We went a couple of years ago on a ships tour and it was wonderful but it was strenuous and given the length of time in port we didnt have any spare time on the tour. We went in september and it was very hot. I cant remember the exact amount of time on our feet but I know we didnt have time to sit anywhere, only one very quick toilet stop and if I remember rightly the ladies loos were up a flight of stairs.There was no free time, . The gardens are all round the palace so you really cant miss them out and they are amazing ,The're alot of steps and inclines as you walk along, but i wouldnt say you walk very fast,you just have to keep up with the guide, its more a time thing for getting back to the ship .We were on Independence and I think we got back with about 15 minutes to spare We managed fine and were in our late 60s, if you think you can manage it you certainly will have a wonderful day and one youll never forget.

Several years ago I was there with a friend who has Parkinson's. He had trouble walking and climbing stairs (he does the latter backwards which is always exciting). I was recovering from an operation and was using a cane and brace. We both enjoyed it, but we took our time -- we hired a private guide so that we could go at our own pace helped by his spouse who led the way shouting things like "bring out your dead" and "inválido" (she insisted on using the singular since her husband wasn't a cripple; he just walked funny) and other helpful phrases.

The Alhambra represents the flowering of one of the three great flowering at civilization in the Mediterranean (if one defines civilization as industry, arts and science rather the proficiency at killing people). While the Alcazar is wonderful it is nowhere near in the same league, imho. I urge you to see it.

"...............helped by his spouse who led the way shouting things like "bring out your dead" and "inválido" (she insisted on using the singular since her husband wasn't a cripple; he just walked funny) and other helpful phrases."

LOL!!

--------------------------

Helen

Edited by Ms Understood

Thank you so much for your VERY, VERY helpful reponses. And isn't that the case with so many bathrooms throughout Europe - up a set of stairs and often a circular staircase at that. I take those steps one at a time and manage. I am encouraged by different bits of advice and think I will get more information from the excursion desk our first night on the ship. I HAVE contacted RC about two of the excursions. They said they would ask the tour director and get back to me. For one of the excursions, they did get back to me, but not on the Alhambra tour so the tour company must not have responded. I think hiring a private guide would be very pricey so that is probably not an option for us although it is a good option for some folks. Jennywren, I keep thinking that I can manage it but needed to get more information about possible stops along the way. If we don't walk really fast, then I am thinking I can manage. Helencw, I loved your words of encouragement - to do everything in my power. Asking the tour guide about modifications is a wonderful idea. I could talk with the tour guide on the bus. We have used audio handsets before and have found that to work really well so I can sit periodically, but it seemed on this tour we had to sign up for the guide. We would not go on our own and use headsets because we would not be able to get tickets. We could ask about getting headsets once we are there and then meeting the guide at a certain time. We could also sit if I needed to and then catch up to the guide. I do have one of those portable seats. They are good for places like museums where there are long stops, but it might work for the Alhambra. We will take it with us. As for walking on uneven places, my hubby is great to hold onto. I will reread everyone's comments again and that way I will know exactly what questions to ask at the desk and which questions to ask the guide on the bus if we decide to go. Thank you again SO MUCH.

Erin, my mom has a bad back and can’t walk very fast or for long periods, so I sympathize. I think that you could see the best parts of the Alhambra if you plan ahead. You could look at this interactive map of the Alhambra, see the photos, and decide which parts are of most of interest to you:

http://www.alhambradegranada.org/flash/en/interactiveMap.asp

If I were taking my mom to see the Alhambra, I would take her first to the Nasrid Palaces (the highlight of the Alhambra). Then if she still had energy, I would take her to the Generalife gardens.

If you go with the ship tour, you could coordinate with the tour guide on when they will be at the Nasrid Palaces. The tickets for the public to these Palaces are timed.

You could also compare prices of a ship tour with a private tour shared by others on your roll call. Tickets for the Nasrid Palaces are almost always sold out on the day, so they must be bought in advance if you need them:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187441-c77529/Granada:Spain:Buying.Alhambra.Tickets.Online.html

website for buying tickets:

http://www.servicaixa.com/nav/landings/en/mucho_mas/entradas_alhambra/index.html?utm_campaign=Alhambra&utm_source=alhambra_tickets&utm_medium=varios&CODIUSU=P055AL07

There are two places to rent the audio handset, at the entrance, and at the Nasrid Palaces. (You have to leave ID and get it back when you return the handset). I got them because my son likes them, but if you could get a good guidebook, I don’t think they are necessary.

In Granada I bought a nice copy of Washington Irving’s book, Tales from the Alhambra, with photos and drawings. Maybe you could find a copy before you leave? I realize there isn't much time for reading when you are planning these port intensive cruises, LOL!

Erin, I hope you have a wonderful time whatever you decide to do!

Edited by helencw

Washington Irving was a much better writer than historian. It's a good read, just don't believe much of it is fact. FWIW, his books on Columbus and George Washington contain ever more myths and fewer actual facts.

Heading for the Nasrid Palaces is an excellent suggestion.

Erin Dreamer,

Would please be so kind as to let me know how you make out with this. We will be there next April and I want to do this however my mom sounds just like you as far as the walking and sitting down goes. I know she will want to go with us and I want her to see it. I was also wondering if maybe she could just sit somewhere and meet up with the group somewhere else. I hope you see this message before you go! Thanks, Janice

We are on the Voyager of the Seas TA next April, and are taking a private tour from Malaga to the Alhambra. Spain Day Tours charges 79 euros for the trip on a 10-18 passenger van with guide plus 13 euros for your ticket which they buy ahead of time for you. Hope this is some help and you manage the trip.

• 1 month later...
Several years ago I was there with a friend who has Parkinson's. He had trouble walking and climbing stairs (he does the latter backwards which is always exciting). I was recovering from an operation and was using a cane and brace. We both enjoyed it, but we took our time -- we hired a private guide so that we could go at our own pace helped by his spouse who led the way shouting things like "bring out your dead" and "inválido" (she insisted on using the singular since her husband wasn't a cripple; he just walked funny) and other helpful phrases.

The Alhambra represents the flowering of one of the three great flowering at civilization in the Mediterranean (if one defines civilization as industry, arts and science rather the proficiency at killing people). While the Alcazar is wonderful it is nowhere near in the same league, imho. I urge you to see it.

Hi - Can you tell me what private guide you used? We are headed there and although I got a group of 9 together for what I thought was a "private tour" I now find out that we are on a bus with others and the bus is just a transfer, then we are broken into groups. When I emailed again asking for a "private tour" once again, we were promised one, but again - no commentary, just a transfer to the Palace where we meet a guide. I am considering dropping out of the group since my husband needs a walker to navigate his way around and I think that this will be way too strenuous. Perhaps if we had a real private guide, we might do better. I hear what you are saying about Seville and the Alcazar, but hate to have my husband hurt at the beginning of a trip. If you know of any other guides for Canary Islands, Madeira, or Seville, please let me know. My email is rwcaac at yahoo dot com (please put in the appropriate symbols.

thanks for your help.

Ronnie

Hi - Can you tell me what private guide you used?

Sorry, I can't help. We asked the hotel concierge to arrange the guide for us. Even if I remembered his name, I wouldn't recommend him as his English was "thin" at best. The commentary ended up being mostly in Spanish with a little German thrown in. (I referred it as the Hapsburg version ).

Edited by ab0si

• 2 weeks later...

Our NCL tour was excellent, but several members of our tour could not finish the tour and were lost delaying the bus leaving by 30 minutes.

I am 63 and did not find the tour strenuous, but I exercise regularly (30 mile bike ride every other day).

• 3 years later...
Do you recall if the place was air conditioned? We are thinking about a visit in August and wondering if it will be really uncomfortable, particularly with so many visitors at peak season.

The Alhambra??

Well, the gardens are in the air and in good condition, if that's what you mean?

The Nasid Palace and other builiding are open to the air and dark, so reasonably cool.

But, it will be August, and it will be inland Spain, and it will be hot, hot, hot.

(but it is so worth it!)

This thread started in 2011! But the Alhambra has not changed in hundreds of years :). When you go the Alhambra you can forget about A/C once you exit your tour bus (if you take a tour bus). You will be walking through ancient streets and going inside quite a few different old buildings. And many tours will also walk you over to the extensive gardens (Generalife). The thick walls do provide some protection from the heat of Spain, but it is still not going to be a comfy day if its hot! And by the way, for those taking extensive land trips on their own, the Parador (a quasi government hotel) located inside the Alhambra is air conditioned :).

As to "how strenuous" this really depends on the person. For some cruisers we know that walking down a single flight of steps must be strenuous (we see many cruisers waiting 10 min for an elevator to go down one floor) and we also understand that many folks find walking more then a few feet strenuous. But other Seniors can easily walk 5 miles a day! So I would just say that as long as you are capable of walking some distance over a long period of time you will be fine. But if you are a person who needs to stop for a rest when walking from cabin to the MDR than you might find the walking a bit much.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Do you recall if the place was air conditioned? We are thinking about a visit in August and wondering if it will be really uncomfortable, particularly with so many visitors at peak season.

The Moors did install air conditioning, but unfortunately had to wait another 700 years before electricity was invented.