upgrades and downgrades

ActiveTraveler

I thought I had made it clear to my TA I do not want an upgrade. He has been on some other Princess ships including the Crown, but not the Sapphire.

Well, for some reason he thought an AC cabin closer to midship would be better for me even though I expressed concern about the fact those balconies are uncovered. So just to see what he was talking about I looked at the Dolphin deck on cruisedeckplans.com because it sounded like he was saying AC cabins are not so far back.

This is where I see a problem: AC cabins are directly above the AD cabins and forward. So why would an AC cabin be in a better location than E721, the cabin I requested? If I can't hear anything in E721 except the docking noise, I see no reason to move up.

Another interesting part of my conversation was about subtracting my sister if she can't go. My TA said if I cancerl her out and a group of three wants a minisuite Princess has the right to move me into a smaller cabin that can't hold three people. He said that isn't a common occurance, but it can happen. That is the first time I ever heard a cruise line can downgrade passengers.

They wouldn't move you into a smaller cabin, just to one that does not hold three.

Only Princess thinks that an AC is an upgrade from an AD. You spent a lot of time choosing your cabin - tell your TA you don't care, mark 'no upgrade'. All mini-suites hold at least three, except the two AE minis. There are a lot of mini-suites that hold four that are booked for only two. If your TA isn't listening to you, you need to make a change...EM

"Better" cabins are a matter of perception and the perception is that the higher the deck, the better the cabin. Thus, the "upgrade." Your TA screwed up. You made it clear that you wanted a specific AD cabin with no upgrade. Your TA should book you in the cabin you wanted. Not only that, but they owe you something for their screw-up. I'd be furious.

Keep the AD cabin. It is better IMO.

Princess will not move you to another minisuite as all minisuites (except 2 per ship) will accomodate 3 people. The couch makes up to a bed and all minisuites (but 2 per ship) have couches.

"Better" cabins are a matter of perception and the perception is that the higher the deck, the better the cabin. Thus, the "upgrade." Your TA screwed up. You made it clear that you wanted a specific AD cabin with no upgrade. Your TA should book you in the cabin you wanted. Not only that, but they owe you something for their screw-up. I'd be furious.

He did not screw up. I got E721. It was just a little harder than I expected because the TA knows something closer to midship is better than one six doors from the stern.

He did not screw up. I got E721. It was just a little harder than I expected because the TA knows something closer to midship is better than one six doors from the stern.
Great to hear you got the cabin you preferred. I misunderstood and thought he'd "upgraded" you to an AC.

Plain and simple ... you need a new T/A, one who will respect your choices.

I agree. For your next cruise, find a new TA. Your TA is just plain wrong.

The AD mini suites are better than the AC mini suites in my view because they have covered balconies. There is no difference in noise or movement that I have noticed between midship and the aft area you are in. I prefer the aft area because you are more conveniently located to the main dining room and buffet.

I would call your TA and insist he have the cabin marked "no upgrade". Then wait two days and call Princess to check to make sure this has been done. I did this on my upcoming cruises and Princess will give you this information over the phone even though you booked through a TA. Princess won't mark it "no upgrade" without your TA calling, but they will tell you whether or not it has been marked no upgrade.

Your TA is also wrong about Princess downgrading you to a lesser cabin if your sister cancels. They do not downgrade passengers. They also have no reason to move you if there are only two of you in the mini suite because all the mini suites hold 3 or 4 people. They can't move you to a two person mini suite because there aren't any. Even if they wished to upgrade you to a full suite, they would call you first and get your consent if your cabin has been marked "no upgrade".

Another interesting part of my conversation was about subtracting my sister if she can't go. My TA said if I cancerl her out and a group of three wants a minisuite Princess has the right to move me into a smaller cabin that can't hold three people. He said that isn't a common occurance, but it can happen. That is the first time I ever heard a cruise line can downgrade passengers.

Your TA is misinformed. I would consider finding another TA for your next cruise. There are plenty of awesome TAs out there. Recently I changed TAs myself and booked 2 cruises with them and see the knowledge difference already. (Plus they discount!)

It makes no difference if three were booked in the cabin and one of them has to cancel and the cabin occupancy becomes two. As long as your cabin in marked "no upgrade", Princess is not going to change your cabin without your consent. I've been in E731 a few times on different ships and it will hold three. DH and I have never been moved because we are only two.

If you like your cabin, as it was suggested in an earlier post, I would have the TA mark it "I prefer to keep my selected stateroom rather than accept a free upgrade if the option becomes available." This way Princess will not change your cabin without your consent. I also like the covered balconies and mark our cabins with the "no upgrade" option. I'm not a fan of the Dolphin uncovered minis with the porcelain doll colored skin I have.

I knew to mark it "no upgrade" when I book it. Somehow I totally forgot to tell my mom, who did the actual booking because it was on her credit card, to tell him that. However, I did clearly state I want a covered balcony and he put that in his computer. Therefore, I am sure he knows I do not want an upgrade. I hope it is not too late to say "no upgrade to AC" because Mom already got the confirmation email.

I knew to mark it "no upgrade" when I book it. Somehow I totally forgot to tell my mom, who did the actual booking because it was on her credit card, to tell him that. However, I did clearly state I want a covered balcony and he put that in his computer. Therefore, I am sure he knows I do not want an upgrade. I hope it is not too late to say "no upgrade to AC" because Mom already got the confirmation email.

It is not too late to request "no upgrade". You can do that at any time. It does not have to be at the time of booking. I would call your TA right away.

I hope you get E721 back. it's one of my favorite locations and I would be MOST upset if I was "upgraded" to an AC!

I never lost E721. I was just offered a chance to move up, that's all. It is now official: no upgrade, so I am locked in the cabin I booked! :D

He also clarified the part about being moved because one person cancels out: That is a rare occurrance in "regular cabins" and therefore not a downgrade; he gave me TMI and forgot that unusual occurance does not apply to people in minisuites. So I have nothing to worry about. :)

Archived