Transfer from Hotel to Cruise Terminal--Is 69 Euros Reasonable?

JHUNTGOLF

There are 4 of us staying at the NH Duc de la Victoria hotel. It's just a couple blocks off Las Ramblas. I've been quoted 69 euros for a private driver picking up the 4 of us (with our cruise luggage) and taking us to the Celebrity cruise terminal on a Saturday morning. I know the cruise terminal isn't very far away from our hotel. I just wanted to find out if anyone could let me know whether this is a reasonable/okay fare. Thanks for your help.

John

Welcome to Cruise Critic John, we are booked with Autos Vilar and for 55 euros flat fee for both the Airport/Hotel transfer then Hotel to Pier. No upfront payment http://www.autosvilar.com/index.php?len=d4408643ccbd7e83d0c54f42e405d618

We have 4 of for the Hotel transfer and 8 for the Pier transfer. I did learn today, that another company which does require payment in advance will do it for 40 euros. http://www.suntransfers.com/barcelona

That sounds quite expensive, I am sure a taxi would only be about 20 euros and the hotel would call one for you when you are ready to go. If you are able/willing to drag your luggage down Las Ramblas (it is flat and pedestrianised) there is a port bus from there to all the ships, we used it last year (complete with DH's mobility scooter) I think it was 2 or 3 euros each. You will not look silly, you see people all the time pulling their luggage around the city.

69 is extremely unreasonable; taxi from that location should be in 15 to 20 range if you get it on the street or taxi stand. Even if you hotel calls you a radio taxi (and ask for minivan) it'll add 7 to 10 extra at the most.

Arrriving into Barcelona and going straight to ship (LOS)...What is the approx Taxi cost (US$) from airport to port for 2 with luggage and how long of a drive is it?..I have heard $45.00 does this inc tip and anywhere from 10-40min? Please help..our first time arriving at this airport/port any helpful tips on how to navigate etc etc? !!!

There are 4 of us staying at the NH Duc de la Victoria hotel. It's just a couple blocks off Las Ramblas. I've been quoted 69 euros for a private driver picking up the 4 of us (with our cruise luggage) and taking us to the Celebrity cruise terminal on a Saturday morning. I know the cruise terminal isn't very far away from our hotel. I just wanted to find out if anyone could let me know whether this is a reasonable/okay fare. Thanks for your help.

John

It's a approximately 2km (1.5 mi). 69€ is very expensive. I would just grab a taxi for four people

I want to thank everyone for your answers to my question. It really confirmed what I thought--69 euros is too pricey for such a short distance!!!! I'll wait until we get to our hotel and make arrangements for a taxi/minivan to take us to the ship. Thanks again for being some helpful.

John

I'll wait until we get to our hotel and make arrangements for a taxi/minivan to take us to the ship. Thanks again for being some helpful.

Just a note about that - if your hotel calls a cab for you, you will be charged the amount it takes for him to get to your hotel, plus a "pick up at hotel" fee, plus a fee for each suitcase which goes in the trunk. If and that's IF you can hail a cab in the street in the direction you are going (I believe I read online that Barcelona taxis do not pull U-turns to pick up fares) it will be considerably less money.

Just a heads up. But.... you may not have a choice/or you may not mind paying extra. Just letting you know what my research and recent experience in Barcelona proved.

Have fun! It's a great city. :)

Just a note about that - if your hotel calls a cab for you, you will be charged the amount it takes for him to get to your hotel, plus a "pick up at hotel" fee, plus a fee for each suitcase which goes in the trunk. If and that's IF you can hail a cab in the street in the direction you are going (I believe I read online that Barcelona taxis do not pull U-turns to pick up fares) it will be considerably less money.

Just a heads up. But.... you may not have a choice/or you may not mind paying extra. Just letting you know what my research and recent experience in Barcelona proved.

Have fun! It's a great city. :)

What have you done when going from hotel to airport for an early morning flight to avoid these extra charges...?

What have you done when going from hotel to airport for an early morning flight to avoid these extra charges...?

You can't, in my experience.

We had no alternative but to have the hotel call a cab for us for 4:30 am - no cabs on the street at that time. There was no traffic whatsoever and our driver swiftly drive us through the streets of Barcelona straight to the airport in record time, I'd say... probably averaging 100+ km/hr. Anyway, it was great to be there so quickly but when we got to the airport, he added at least 4 things to the meter. It was a cruncher. :( We knew to expect these charges (mentioned in my previous post) so there was nothing to be done about it. However, we tipped him and his eyes lit up like flying saucers! They aren't used to tips in many parts of Europe, and we were happy with his service.

John

For us in 2008 a taxi from Hotel Regina just off Placa Cataluna to port was 10 euros for 2 of us

The cost of a taxi for four people with 4 large suitcases and 4 hand carriers was $20 Euro inclusive of extra charges for going to the port and suitcases (tips not included) on Aug 14, 2011. The meter only read $11.80.

They charge 1 euro per suitcase therefore the additional 8 euros.

You can't, in my experience.

We had no alternative but to have the hotel call a cab for us for 4:30 am - no cabs on the street at that time. There was no traffic whatsoever and our driver swiftly drive us through the streets of Barcelona straight to the airport in record time, I'd say... probably averaging 100+ km/hr. Anyway, it was great to be there so quickly but when we got to the airport, he added at least 4 things to the meter. It was a cruncher. :( We knew to expect these charges (mentioned in my previous post) so there was nothing to be done about it. However, we tipped him and his eyes lit up like flying saucers! They aren't used to tips in many parts of Europe, and we were happy with his service.

Thanks for the information. We had been worrying about getting an early morning taxi to the airport. Now I know we can, even if it will be expensive.

The cost of a taxi for four people with 4 large suitcases and 4 hand carriers was $20 Euro inclusive of extra charges for going to the port and suitcases (tips not included) on Aug 14, 2011. The meter only read $11.80.

We are in the process of reserving transfer for four + luggage and the lowest quote we received was 35 euros. We were reserving only because we've been to Barcelona and don't recall seeing taxis that hold four adults + luggage on the street.

Did you flag this cab down or was it arranged or ??? Was it a minivan or ??

Thanks for the helpl!

Archived