Must Carry On

Cruisin'Oma

Anything of value to you should be with you - possibly also a change of clothes in case your luggage arrives late (or heaven forbid not at all?!).... Otherwise no real 'musts' - altho I would obviously keep cruise documents/passports/cash on my person as well...

What items MUST be in your carry on luggage? I know sodas & Alcohol. What about medicines' date=' electronics, chargers, batteries?[/quote']

I would probably keep all of those things with you, since you don't know when your luggage may arrive at your room. I also usually have my bathing suit and cover up with me, so I can get into them asap!

I keep my camera bag as one of my carry-ons. I also keep my Kindle and my Ipod with me because I'll use them on the plane. And medicines are always with us too. We also take a spare change of clothes in our carry on and all of our documents/ID's.

BOARDING DOCUMENTS!!!!

do not forget your passport/id/birth cerf. or anything else you need to board the ship

They are a few reviews where people put their documents in the checked luggage, and had to retrieve the bags

What items MUST be in your carry on luggage? I know sodas & Alcohol. What about medicines' date=' electronics, chargers, batteries?[/quote']

Yep...add to that list the important docs that Froufie mentioned like ID and passport. My kids carry on their video game system like Nintendo DS (keeps them quite while we wait to embark ;)).

Extra underwear, And some basic clothing options in case my bag never makes it. I have a sundress, flip flops. Extra shorts/ t shirt. Flip flops. Pants for hubby and two polo shirts. extra shorts.

If my luggage got lost. With doing laundry we could do the whole cruise with our carry on. It may not be pretty but we could.

My rule of thumb is to hand carry anything on that I would be sad to loose or need.

Granted I would hate to loose a suitcase full of clothes but if I have my most important things with me I'm doing good. We have never had a bag delayed *knock on wood* but we have had my sons PSP stolen out of a bag somewhere between the porter and when we found the bags outside our door.

I put everything I need in my carry on luggage, because that's all I need and I never check baggage. One 22" roller luggage, one over the shoulder tote, and I'm good for the next 7 or 8 days.

Heck, I ain't moving in........

You're also not female. :p

(1) I carry what I need to get on board (or may need): passport, driver's license, Funpass.

(2) I also carry what I can't replace on board but must have on the cruise: medication, credit card, cash.

(3) Finally, I carry what I could replace but would hate to: cell phone, camera.

Anything else is optional but nice to have while waiting for the suitcase to be delivered: visor, gum, lip balm, cigarettes.

Boarding docs, id, cash, credit cards, Kindle, iPhone, makeup, medicine, and at least a couple changes of clothes (I'm a bigger person, so replacing close gets a little harder, so I try to carry on at least a couple changes just in case). I also carry these things on any plane that is between me and the cruise ship.

4 CCL cruises since 2010 and on 3 of them I took a carry on tote that was heavier with each progression(1 time I didn't bring a carry on). I think I will go back to the time I didn't bring a carry on. But what I put in the carry on for my recent cruise was 2 bottles of wine, a few waters, make-up, e-reader, camera, cruise docs/birt certs, bag of quarters for laundry, my motion sickness stuff, some snacks we'd brought in the car, cell chargers, my DH's hat and a belt he forgot to pack last minute. My purse had my wallet and cellphone. My kids brought string bags with their electronics and bathing suits...and some toiletries and water bottles. The tote was a heavy pain. If I must bring a carry on next time, I'll do a small rolling suitcase...for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm another female and getting everything into a carry-on. My husband will have his own carry-on. In my large (travel) purse goes documents, passports, meds, camera. The cruise coming up is just a five-day, but I'm also planning on doing the same thing for our planned seven day in February 2012.:D

Another female carry-on only with a DD who is carry on-only! With the cost of checking luggage, it's become a game to see if we can do it all with a carry-on. With today's fabrics, it's become much easier to do - DD's slinky black formal doesn't take up any room at all! I add a tote/purse with my cell, iPod, prescription meds and travel docs. http://www.onebag.com/ is an interesting site with some good tips on packing.

Archived