Just noticed passport expiration rule

You need to do two things. First, contact the cruise line directly and find out their policy and opinion. Make sure you keep a record of your contacts (time, date and who). Also check on the State Department web site (just look for travel) and look-up the travel rules of each country (or island) you will be visiting. While it is true that some countries require a passport have 6 months remaining, many countries do not have this requirement. Also, since you are on the Allure, you are on what is called a "closed loop" cruise (this means it begins and ends at the same US port) which actually has more liberal rules. In fact, it is still possible to travel on most closed loop cruises without even having a passport (you would need an original official birth certificate and some other form of government ID such as a drivers license). Because of the closed loop rules I suspect your hubby will have no problem with his Passport. But it is your responsibility to check it out...do not trust anyone....especially a travel agent.

Hank

I don't know where you're coming from, or RCI's rules, but it was a problem for me on a British line, with a British passport, remaining in EU water with 5 months left- I couldn't check in on line, and ended up getting a new passport.

Check with RCI to see what their rules are..

Jo.

I just noticed that they require passports to not expire within 6 months of trip. We are scheduled on Allure to the Caribbean on the 25th of September. Hubbys passport expires Feb 25, 2012. Is this going to be an issue?

Honestly, I wouldn't bother calling or taking their advice over the phone. Unfortunately the people on the phone won't be the same people checking you in at the port.

You have time so get it renewed now and don't take any chances.

That will be the only way to feel totally secure arriving for your cruise.

Good luck.

Some cruise line websites might not allow you to check in online when you try to fill in all the required info....due to one reason....passport expiring within 6 months. So I say try to fill in the info online that is required....if you are rejected then immediately renew your passport. Its still the safest thing to do.

David

I don't know where you're coming from, or RCI's rules, but it was a problem for me on a British line, with a British passport, remaining in EU water with 5 months left- I couldn't check in on line, and ended up getting a new passport.

Check with RCI to see what their rules are..

Jo.

There are an entirely different set of rules for US citizens who are taking so-called "Closed Loop" cruises from the USA. If this is the situation for the OP, then it is a situation totally foreign to anyone who is not a US citizien.

Hank

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You should be fine.

Since your cruise is a month away -- you do not have time to send in the old passport and get the new one back in time for the cruise.

There is plenty of time .. the OP just needs to do it NOW and pay for expedited service.

There is plenty of time .. the OP just needs to do it NOW and pay for expedited service.

Also pair that with overnight delivery and you should be fine. Just do it tomorrow. We did both and received passports in about 2 weeks. We applied 4 months prior to expiration and were shocked by the quick turnaround. An added tip would be to call in order to get an approximation of the reissue.

I sent in my application for passport renewal on Aug. 4 and I received my passport just yesterday Aug. 22. That was fast! You can register your email address online with them once you submit your application and track your status. If it is getting close to the time of your trip you can call them & have it expedited. Not sure if there is a payment for that, but I know they can speed it up.

I paid for expedited (overnight) delivery, but NOT expedited processing. I was My cruise was 7 weeks away when I sent in my app.

Two months is plenty of time. But if time was an issue, it's possible to obtain a passport within 2 weeks if you go to your local passport agency office and apply in person.

:)

Your husband needs a new passport. The last thing you need is to get inaccurate information from somebody at the cruise line only to have the person checking you in tell you otherwise. Enough things can go wrong so why have this cloud hanging over you? Be grateful that you noticed this now and not one week before departure.

Your husband needs a new passport. The last thing you need is to get inaccurate information from somebody at the cruise line only to have the person checking you in tell you otherwise. Enough things can go wrong so why have this cloud hanging over you? Be grateful that you noticed this now and not one week before departure.

That's not true. A US citizen doesn't even need a passport to do a closed loop Western Hemisphere cruise (which is what the OP's ship, Allure of the Seas, does). They can cruise on a drivers license and official birth certificate. If they are using passports, they only have to be valid. There's no requirement for six months remaining validty...the US doesn't require it, nor do any of the Caribbean countries their cruise will be visiting. You don't have to rely on what a customer service rep tells you on the phone. You can get the information from the cruise line's Web site:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Cruise+Documents&faqId=2814&faqSubjectId=329&faqType=faq

Effective June 1, 2009 only a valid passport (unless otherwise noted below) or other WHTI compliant document will be accepted for entry or re-entry into the United States. For a list of all approved documents visit: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html#compliant_document

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a government-issued birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original, notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Note: Baptismal papers and hospital certificates are not acceptable. Voter registration cards or Social Security cards are not considered proof of citizenship.

Thanks for all the passport info- I was looking for the exact info as my sons GF will be sailing with us (san Juan to San Juan) and hers expires 2 months after cruise. Will recommend she get a new one since we have 6 months to do it yet.

Assuming she is a US citizen, she doesn't need a new passport. The six month rule isn't new...but it also isn't applicable to this type of cruise. Unfortunately there are some who have the mistaken idea it is a universal requirement, but that is far from the truth. Only some countries require a passport to be valid for six months....and even some countries that have the requirement waive it for cruise ship passengers who will be in port for less than 24 hours, as they are considered to be "in transit".

We are both US citizen. Royal said that at booking it would have denied the purchase if the six month rule was valid for our trip. that is why they require your passport expiration date at purchase.

While I realize that Renewing his passport is the safest thing to do it can also be a risk. A friend of hubby's sent his in for renewal and expedited service and guess what his passport arrived two days to late. Not willing tom take that chance.

I have to trust in what Royal has said and what I did track down about closed loop travel. Since we are Caribbean and going back and forth to same port we could even use his birth certificate and drivers ID as njhorseman has posted.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

• 2 months later...

I sent my renewal application by priority mail (but not expedited service) on October 5 and received my new passport today. The old one expires in May, I'm sailing in December, and my cruise line has that 6 months rule. I was going to have to renew it anyway, so it didn't matter that I had to do it a bit earlier than the expiration date.

Is San Juan cruise port US and a closed loop? My sons GF passport expires 2 months after cruise. Encouraging her to get it renewed now as we have time.
San Juan, Puerto Rico is in the US, yes.

The closed loop question is dependent on your cruise itinerary. If you get on in San Juan and return to San Juan it's a closed-loop cruise.

Since this rule has been around for awhile, we usually plan to renew our passports when it's coming down to six months anyway. The last couple of times we have sent ours in for renewal it's been in the late summer/early fall and that seems to be a good time, according to one passport clerk at our post office. I've gotten them within two or three weeks of sending in for the new ones.

There are times when there's more action with passport applications. And times when there's less.

Archived