Noordam Lido layout

twentyknots

We sailed on the Zuiderdam and Oosterdam several years ago and the Lido dining rooms used trays with traditional serving lines. Last year we sailed on Celebrity's Solstice and were disappointed in its use of serving islands in the Lido without trays or a line of succession. Passengers just walked up to the islands with a plate and asked for service whenever they could get the attention of a server. It was impossible to carry a complete meal and beverage to the table without a tray. If we started with an appetizer and got up to get our entree, we often would lose our table.

I was told that many ships were converting from the traditional serving lines to the island concept. Anyone been on the Noordam lately who can tell me about the current Lido system?

Thanks,

Noordam has 'areas'. You go to sandwich section to order what sandwich you want but it is orderly and servers take each person in order of them having 'gotten in line' though there are rarely more than 3 or 4 people at the most waiting. Or you go to pasta section or hot buffet. It works very well.

No trays on HAL anymore. They were removed probably about 2 years now. One gets used to it.

HAL got rid of trays about 2 1/4 years ago.

HAL has gone to larger oval plates -- you can get more items on them.

But -- be careful -- at the hot food section -- you may be handed a plate that is very hot.

HAL has "sections" -- not individual islands. But you still have to go from one section to another if you are wanting to try something from a various section.

For example there will be sections devoted to making your own salads. Separate section for sandwiches. Separate section for Asian food. Another section for pasta. And other for desserts.

We rarely eat in the Lido -- but when we do -- we take turns getting what we want -- thus we don't lose our table.

If you want to get up, and save your seat (and food!), tilt your chair against the table, and drape your napkin over the chair.

This is a signal to the stewards that the place has not been vacated.

When one of the servers says "hot plate" to me, I do not reach out to take it. I dropped one plate because it was soooo hot and I will never suffer that again. If it is so hot that he needs to say something, then he (or she) needs to get a paper towel or something that will enable me to comfortably handle the plate. They Always do that. :)

Just because he says 'hot', it does not make it cool!!! :eek:

If you want to get up, and save your seat (and food!), tilt your chair against the table, and drape your napkin over the chair.

You are truly a fountain of information! Why didn't I think of that?

Thanks for the tip.

Does anyone know why they don't have trays now?

$$$$$ Besides the savings in not purchasing trays in the first place, there's also a savings in not washing them.

Now, add to that the price of the food savings when people can't get everything they want at once, and don't make the extra effort to make return trips. That's significant.

Noordam has 'areas'. You go to sandwich section to order what sandwich you want but it is orderly and servers take each person in order of them having 'gotten in line' though there are rarely more than 3 or 4 people at the most waiting. Or you go to pasta section or hot buffet. It works very well.

No trays on HAL anymore. They were removed probably about 2 years now. One gets used to it.

HAL got rid of trays about 2 1/4 years ago.

HAL has gone to larger oval plates -- you can get more items on them.

But -- be careful -- at the hot food section -- you may be handed a plate that is very hot.

HAL has "sections" -- not individual islands. But you still have to go from one section to another if you are wanting to try something from a various section.

For example there will be sections devoted to making your own salads. Separate section for sandwiches. Separate section for Asian food. Another section for pasta. And other for desserts.

We rarely eat in the Lido -- but when we do -- we take turns getting what we want -- thus we don't lose our table.

The trays in the Lido were removed effective May 1, 2009! :(

Alternatively, one could leave a piece of paper at the table on which you would have printed the following, (in Bahasa Indonesia):

TIDAK SELESAI - (Not Finished)

JANGAN MENGAMBIL - (Do Not Clear)

TERIMA KASIH - (Thank You)

This has worked well for me! ;)

Alternatively, one could leave a piece of paper at the table on which you would have printed the following, (in Bahasa Indonesia):

TIDAK SELESAI - (Not Finished)

JANGAN MENGAMBIL - (Do Not Clear)

TERIMA KASIH - (Thank You)

This has worked well for me! ;)

About a year ago, another CC member made up a number of Laminated and very professional looking Occupied Cards. She sent me a number of them to hand out at our M&G, which I did over 2 cruises:) THEY ARE AWESOME!!

I use my Occupied Card whenever we go to the Lido or the Pool areas. I also point out to the server what it is and why and they then tell other servers about them. I have never had my table(s) cleared since:)

Joanie

About a year ago, another CC member made up a number of Laminated and very professional looking Occupied Cards. She sent me a number of them to hand out at our M&G, which I did over 2 cruises:) THEY ARE AWESOME!!

I use my Occupied Card whenever we go to the Lido or the Pool areas. I also point out to the server what it is and why and they then tell other servers about them. I have never had my table(s) cleared since:)

Joanie

Joanie, are these the same phrases as you have on your "Occupied Card"? :)

Joanie, are these the same phrases as you have on your "Occupied Card"? :)

No Walt they are not the same phrases. But, they get the stewards and servers attention to the point that they come over and ask me about them. I tell them what they are and why and they pass the word along:)

Joanie

I'm new to this Forum and still learning to surf this site. My husband and I are going to the HLA 20 day mediterranean adventure on Oct. 5, 2011. We never been in long cruise like this and try to find out as much information about the shore activities, where to go to do the sight seeing.

Just want to say Hi to everyone and if anyone going to the same cruise and would like to meet on the ship or share some points with us, let me know.

miflower

I'm new to this Forum and still learning to surf this site. My husband and I are going to the HLA 20 day mediterranean adventure on Oct. 5, 2011. We never been in long cruise like this and try to find out as much information about the shore activities, where to go to do the sight seeing.

Just want to say Hi to everyone and if anyone going to the same cruise and would like to meet on the ship or share some points with us, let me know.

miflower

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Meetings on board are arranged on the Roll Call for your cruise, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1300969

Very active. The next place to research is on the Europe Ports board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19

Was on that cruise exactly a year ago. Best cruise (out of 12) we have been on.

miflower

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You will love the Noordam.

Check the Explorer Daily Program for Happy Hour specials.

Archived