Royal Caribbean strands 145 passengers in San Juan when Irene forces early departure

We were getting off the Serenade this past Sunday as Irene was heading into Puerto Rico. Couple of points to clarify previous comments:

The first rain bands of the tropical storm were hitting us on the ship in San Juan before we disembarked. So Royal Caribbean knew since the early morning that the storm was approaching quickly.

Royal Caribbean was still sending out shore excursions east and into the storm Sunday morning.

On our cruise week over 250 people were from Puerto Rico; so they would not have needed passports and per the contract could check-in as late as 7 PM.

We were in Puerto Rico 4 days before our cruise, so we had a rental car. To avoid dragging around our luggage we stopped by the pier to drop off our luggage. Then we we went to the airport to drop off the rental car. So it is possible to check-in and come back later in San Juan.

During our week on the Serenade we left early from every port, even with good weather. Most days the gang planks were being pulled up before the 30 minutes prior to the posted departure time and the ship untied from the piers before the posted departure times. We also arrived only a few minutes before the posted arrival times; so the actual time off the ship was 10 to 60 minutes after the posted arrival times.

This was our first cruise on Royal Caribbean and we really enjoyed our time; but this treatment of current passengers has us wondering if we should trust Royal Caribbean with our money in the future.

Think of the situation another way: What if it were 1,000 passengers instead of 150 passengers that were left behind in San Juan? I bet some of y'alls opinions would be a little different.

And here's another way to think about: What if it were you? What if you went to the port on embarkation day, and found out the ship had already departed even though you were on time and the ship wasn't supposed to depart for a few hours?

the moment the words Tropical Storm Irene (a week or 2 back) became part of the forecast vocabulary, I got paranoid about THAT trip. If I had had a cruise planned during that timeframe, I so would have spent the extra 100 or 2 to come in a day or more early just so this wouldn't happen.

"Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency o my part".

Changes fees can be $150 pp plus amount of airfare cost currently compared to what was paid @ time of booking and a last minute hotel

So if I changed my flights on continental from SF for family of four thats about $2400 thats alot more than a extra "100 or2"

Some people cant afford last minute costs like that

Since the early departure was weather-related, Royal Caribbean is contractually entitled to keep the stranded passengers' money.

Maybe, but in the retail/consumer world there's an intangible called goodwill, and people remember such things.

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2011/08/stranded-passengers-san-juan-royal-caribbean-hurricane-irene/416548/1

""There was no way to notify our guests of this change in departure time."

Huh??? Why not?

probably because they are in route to the ship.......probably on an airplane......and most are not carrying international cell phones....... in the "on" position.

So a few years ago, after 36(?) years of cruising you learned this lesson, and that is great. But I doubt that any, let alone all, of those 150 stranded passengers had 36 years of cruising to have such foresight. I would not be surprised if many of them were not (I've read before that about half of all cruisers are first timers).

I'm not trying to give you, or anyone else, a hard time. However, I have been all over Europe myself, and there are internet cafes everywhere. Just like checking in for a flight, or seeing if your airline has changed the flight time, passengers should check with RCCL if there is even a HINT of a problem known beforehand. It's a phone call, or an instant chat on their web site. I've used the feature many times, and they are super quick about answering questions.

As far as sympathy or empathy or walking in another's shoes: I have. We were involved in one of RCCL's WORST situations (in my 39 years of cruising with them, anyway) in Barcelona several years ago. They literally abandoned several hundred of us in Barcelona after the ship couldn't dock until 12 hours later. We survived.

But, what I learned is never, EVER, rely on anyone else to take care of you when you are traveling. Check and doublecheck your reservations and status. Always have a Plan B. Make lemonade.

SHAME SHAME on you RCCL

I have ALOT of cruises on RCCL, I will NEVER cruise RCCL AGAIN.

At least Carnival got the cruisers to the ship.

No matter how many of you think you can justify this, this is NOT OK,

RCCL, you will really regret this.

Not being a Carnival fan, I will definately show my support for Carnival by booking a cruise.

There are enough staff at RCCL to make phone calls for 200 or so.

This sickens me.

I always have travel ins. But how easy would it be to have the liquid funds to make this happen? Carnival just did it, RCCL blew off these cruisers.

Yet another reason to get to the departure city a day early or certainly 3 hours before departure time. I have no sympathy for the people who missed the cruise.

DON

He's trollin'.

Seriously? You have no sympathy for these people who spent so much money, were probably looking forward to this cruise for months, and then had this happen to them? Because you don't think they were cruise savvy enough and proactive enough to get to the ship several hours before the departure time? Some of them were probably first time cruisers who are forever soured not just on RCCL but on cruising in general.

I have to say, and I'm not being sarcastic or mean, but that truly makes me sad for you that something - whatever it is - your self-righteousness or unwavering loyalty to RCCL - trumps your humanity.

I have never cruised on RCCL ever. However, I do make myself aware of the weather and I plan ahead when I travel.

DON

Changes fees can be $150 pp plus amount of airfare cost currently compared to what was paid @ time of booking and a last minute hotel

So if I changed my flights on continental from SF for family of four thats about $2400 thats alot more than a extra "100 or2"

Some people cant afford last minute costs like that

You should always have access to emergency money in case the "unlikely" happens. Either that you camp out on airport or whatever floor you can find until you make arrangements for onward travel.

Think of the situation another way: What if it were 1,000 passengers instead of 150 passengers that were left behind in San Juan? I bet some of y'alls opinions would be a little different.

But there wasn't. So its not really relevant. Can't really comment on what might have happened. Only can comment on what has happened. Could RCCL do things better. Sure. Everyone can.

Its called planning AHEAD. They KNEW a hurricane was coming up the coast. It can't be the first time a hurricane was close to a port and a port had to be closed early. They should know to predict these things as a company, and at the very least if their is potential that they have to leave early to let their customer know of the possibility.

IT'S NOT THE passengers fault, so people who try to blame them stop. Some of you guys protect the company way to much, get real.

All I am saying is I am VERY disapointing on how RCI is treating the people who were stranded, by basically saying its not their fault and their not going to compensate. They should of flown all 145 people to Aruba not just 15.

I agree, very bad customer PR.

I would be interested to know if any of the 'left behind' passengers were from the UK and/or booked in the UK.

The law is quite different there and the cruise line would have to compensate the passengers as they were unable (for whatever reason) to provide the service they had been paid for.

The laws in the UK are quite strict on this. No matter what disclaimer the company puts in its contract terms and conditions.

How many left behind did not have a passport?

Its all very well having a go at the cruise line and port authorities over something that is out of their control - ie the weather, but what about those who were left behind due to not having the appropriate documentation for flying to and embarking at another port that was not a US territory?

No passport...no flight to the next port, no embarkation.

Yet another reason to get to the departure city a day early or certainly 3 hours before departure time. I have no sympathy for the people who missed the cruise.

DON

I recently cruised RCCL out of Venice. I arrived a day early, stayed in a hotel, and explored the city. On departure day I took my time getting to the ship so I could see more of Venice.

The logic being used by some here would conclude the prudent thing for me to have done would be to swim out to the ship with my baggage on my head as it is entering the harbor to make sure they do not leave me.

The bottom line is that RCCL did not even try to stand by their paying passengers by providing notification or assistance. This is just simply wrong. You should not have to insure yourself against the ship unexpectedly leaving when you have done everything on time and correctly.

In this situation we are to assume that everyone had cell phones to receive text messages or even had cell phones listed on their reservations. A lot of things are being assumed about who did what or didn't do what. Was anybody here at the port or talked to somebody who was? We won't know everything till somebody who was there is here on the board.

I sail X and Azamara - owned by RCI.

Based on what I have seen from my cruises on these lines, what happened was surprising, especially given the response of Carnival. (there is a little bit of crowing going on in the Carnival boards now.)

I suspect RCI is reviewing the whole mess. I doubt it will happen again.

We were planning to sail RCI sometime and nothing has changed that.

What this is, in my opinion, is one of those decisions corporations make that make you shake your head sometime.

Note to RCI - When you have a tough decision to make and you are unsure of what to do, take the advice of my grandmother: "Do the right thing".

Smooth sailing...

It is easy for all of us to have opinion on who is right who is wrong what they should of done. It is all very easy when you not there but I bet if it were one of you. you would not be so logical or rational. I know I would be very upset maybe RCL at first then the PA but in the end I do feel sorry for the people that missed the ship. It is a bad situation all around,

probably because they are in route to the ship.......probably on an airplane......and most are not carrying international cell phones....... in the "on" position.

While it's true that some might have been on an airplane and out of reach, isn't it possible that some were just out sightseeing, expecting their ship to leave when it was scheduled to? Isn't it possible that some LIVE THERE and drove to the port, possibly after working or doing other things that day? Also, international cell phones are not necessary for Americans in Puerto Rico.

I don't disagree that if RCI had sent out some communication that some passengers would not/could not have received it. But for the RCI representative to say that they couldn't send anything out is unbelievable and unacceptable.

I've read a lot of emotion in this thread....some that makes sense and some that's typical CC rhetoric. It always amazes me how upset folks get over a situation they are not involved in and don't know all the details.

Some things I'd like to know is who makes up the 300 CCL passengers and who makes up the 145 RCI passengers? What percentage of those are locals and don't require hotels? What percentage of those are international and don't have working phones and no way to be contacted? What percentage of those were on sponsored excursions? What percentage of those had their air arrangements booked through the cruise line? Logistically, what resources and personel do the cruise lines have in PR? When the Captain of the Port gave the order to leave, how much time were the ships given?

I learned a long time ago never to make a judgement based on news articles.

Royal Caribbean management = fail

Carnival management = win

Royal Caribbean passengers who missed the ship = $crewed

.....I would not worry about any bad P.R. if I were RCCL. After all with RCL's "Diamond" sham people are mesmorized on achieving top status and will forgive any "problem" that has occured in the past. After all, not anyone can be "Diamond".....(yea right:rolleyes:)

Archived