Can I make this work for formal night?

AmativeDame

First off I want to say that I realize these two outfits are not formal. I am by no means trying to insult anyone or show up on formal night in a t-shirt and baseball cap. My mother is coming with me on what will be our first cruise and most likely my mother's last. She asked me if we could not go to formal night. I don't really expect that to change so I do not want to go out and spend $100 or so on each of us when it won't get worn. I do not wish to insult anyone, truly - but at the same time I would like to have something in the suitcase as a back up in case she changes her mind on the cruise and wishes she could have gone. We would never show up in the MDR on formal night in casual clothes like some people have mentioned seeing, which is the entire reason I am asking. So please, no unnecessary snarky comments about how these are technically not formal clothes - I know that. I realize that odds are we'd just be scraping by with these, but I am not planning on them being necessary!

We will be on a the Monarch (4 day) next month, which I've heard conflicting information about if its formal or something a little less (I forget the literal term at the moment...)

The two outfits in question are

This in black

And this duster/tank dress

Sorry for the links vs photos but I couldn't manage to get them to show up.

So the big question is, if by some unlikely chance my mother decides she wants to do formal night - will we be horribly insulting anyone by showing up in this?

Hi.. I think both are fine.. Iv been on 10 cruises and my lastet cruise was this past January on the Allure of the Seas and I have to say Iv noticed people arent getting all *decked* out like I use t see on cruises.. yes you have some that wear the ball gowns and there hair is up in curls etc... but mostly Iv seen nice dressed... like what you posted... I wore a black dressy pants and a black long sleeve top.. and I dressed it up with accessories and very sparkly heels.. and I received alot of compliments.. I think if you dress in mostly black you will get away with it more.. but what you posted is fine.. good luck and enjoy your cruise!

I agree that both outfits would be fine, you both would look great. Like simplelife said, a little jewerly and you would be set. I wish my mom was well enough to travel with me still. We did a "mom and daughter" land vacation last year and I will never forget the great time we had. Make the best of it and savor every minute!

I agree about the red dress- it looks like a normal "formal night" dress on mass market lines that I've seen recently. In fact, on my most recent cruise, that would have been on the dressier side- no joke.

I'm not sure which line you'll be on, but for many you do have a third option (the two being not going to formal night or going in those, though I think the latter is nothing to worry about). Most of the specialty restaurants tend to keep their normal dress code, even when the rest of the ship is having a formal night. If you were planning on trying out the specialty restaurant anyway, this might be a good route for you.

No matter what you choose to do, I hope you two have a great time. :)

I agree about the red dress- it looks like a normal "formal night" dress on mass market lines that I've seen recently. In fact, on my most recent cruise, that would have been on the dressier side- no joke.

I'm not sure which line you'll be on, but for many you do have a third option (the two being not going to formal night or going in those, though I think the latter is nothing to worry about). Most of the specialty restaurants tend to keep their normal dress code, even when the rest of the ship is having a formal night. If you were planning on trying out the specialty restaurant anyway, this might be a good route for you.

No matter what you choose to do, I hope you two have a great time. :)

Thanks for the input. We're on RCI's Monarch, so I wasn't overly worried (since I doubt she'll decide she wants to go anyway) but since I've never cruised at all I wanted to make sure I wasn't at least completely off the mark. I've heard varying things about the 4-day, but the compass I found from a few weeks ago said formal so I wasn't sure how to take that one. Never thought packing for this trip would end up being so confusing!

Its nice to hear my black version of the red dress won't be a problem, found it on sale and fell in love with it. At least I know I have an excuse to wear it now. ;)

I'll agree wiith this comment 150%. Formal doesn't mean formal any longer, it seems the last few years it just means kinda sorta dressed up. I've started wearing cocktail dresses to cut back on packing and I feel dressier than many. Your dress choice is very pretty, I only saw one red dress, the same one all three links, it would be fine in black or red.

Our next cruise, I'm going to take my black Chicos Traveler dress and wear it twice. Once with pearls and once with a long necklace. I was going to last cruise, then decided to take 2 dresses I hadn't yet worn.

I'll also agree with the statement to change up the shoes, another case of photo stylist not having a clue how to make an outfit...

Edit, I went back and saw the duster dress, I' thinking that is for the mom? It would be fine, the two of you will be amongst the dressiest on Monarch. I cannot tell you how many women I've seen wearing plain black slacks paired with a top that has a little sparkle in it, nothing formal at all.

Either dress is fine, but since the black one is dressier I would take that one. You might want to wear it no matter where you dine and can go out all dressed up to the disco after dinner. I once wore a cocktail dress to the buffet on a Princess cruise. I was seasick and just couldn't stand the thought of a long dinner in the dining room, and I didn't have anything else to wear that I hadn't already worn.

I'll agree wiith this comment 150%. Formal doesn't mean formal any longer, it seems the last few years it just means kinda sorta dressed up. I've started wearing cocktail dresses to cut back on packing and I feel dressier than many. Your dress choice is very pretty, I only saw one red dress, the same one all three links, it would be fine in black or red.

Our next cruise, I'm going to take my black Chicos Traveler dress and wear it twice. Once with pearls and once with a long necklace. I was going to last cruise, then decided to take 2 dresses I hadn't yet worn.

I'll also agree with the statement to change up the shoes, another case of photo stylist not having a clue how to make an outfit...

Edit, I went back and saw the duster dress, I' thinking that is for the mom? It would be fine, the two of you will be amongst the dressiest on Monarch. I cannot tell you how many women I've seen wearing plain black slacks paired with a top that has a little sparkle in it, nothing formal at all.

Yes, duster dress is my mother's. Its something I know she'd feel comfortable in, and thankfully it shouldn't wrinkle so I figured if it works then it really works. Two things I can pack for formal night with no wrinkles? Yay!

Archived