Is there a space for playing on the Fantasy?

dulcimergirl

Hi,

Several of us musicians are going on the Fantasy early next year. Are there any out-of-the-way spots for us to practice/play in? Yes, Carnival allows us our instruments, we play the Mountain Dulcimer. A very quiet instrument, so it won't be rowdy or loud.

We won't play after dark, and we don't want to disturb others.

Any help with spots onboard suitable for our use?

Not really any place to play where someone will not hear you. The problem being some might like it .. and say oh great and listen, while others in the area will want peace and quiet and be upset who dont say anything.

Musical instruments in a small space dont work.

Not really any place to play where someone will not hear you. The problem being some might like it .. and say oh great and listen, while others in the area will want peace and quiet and be upset who dont say anything.

Musical instruments in a small space dont work.

And all it will take is *one* complaint, and ship security will confiscate the instruments and return them on debarkation morning.

There are several lounges that are not used during the day. As Mach said I would inquire about one of those.

And as another poster said I would ensure that you never play in a public venue or even out on your balcony since I'm sure you wouldn't want to risk confiscation of your dulcimer if a complaint were received.

There are several lounges that are not used during the day. As Mach said I would inquire about one of those.

And as another poster said I would ensure that you never play in a public venue or even out on your balcony since I'm sure you wouldn't want to risk confiscation of your dulcimer if a complaint were received.

Some people seek out the unused lounges during the day for "quiet time" to read a book since there really are no "quiet places" up on deck. Some may not be very happy to hear a musical group playing while they're trying to enjoy some peace and quiet. I really don't understand why people think bringing their musical instruments on board a cruise ship, and playing them in public places (or on their balcony) is okay.

Some people seek out the unused lounges during the day for "quiet time" to read a book since there really are no "quiet places" up on deck. Some may not be very happy to hear a musical group playing while they're trying to enjoy some peace and quiet. I really don't understand why people think bringing their musical instruments on board a cruise ship, and playing them in public places (or on their balcony) is okay.
There are MANY quiet places up on deck - all you have to do is explore the ship and seek them out! My feeling is this - if there's a group of people who want to play their instruments while on board AND have the ok/blessing of the ship (via the Groups department & Guest Services), then by all means they should be able to do so.

There are MANY quiet places up on deck - all you have to do is explore the ship and seek them out! My feeling is this - if there's a group of people who want to play their instruments while on board AND have the ok/blessing of the ship (via the Groups department & Guest Services), then by all means they should be able to do so.

I've been on a few cruises, and I have tried seeking out a completely quiet place, and rarely find it on deck. There are ALWAYS people talking, children playing, and music. Even if you do find a quiet spot where no one else is, there is still music to be heard. The ONLY place that is totally quiet is usually an un-used bar/lounge.

You're entitled to your feelings on the subject, as I am entitled to mine, sorry.

If it's a musical group then obviously they practice together routinely at home, I really see no need to be practicing on board and disturbing other passengers who may not enjoy the "music" they are making.

I have on a couple of cruises that I have seen passengers get together and play instruments. I see no problem with it.

Personally, I wish you were going to be on my cruise! What could be more peaceful and relaxing ....the water, sea air and dulcimer music?

But if they have arranged ahead of time and have the permission of the cruisline to be there then you are in their space. Since this poster asked about it, it seems clear they are trying to be considerate.

I think a nice quiet space to read might the library. No one can expect total peace and quiet in any public venue. If a guest requires complete solitude maybe their cabin is the best place for that.

As long as a group has permission by the cruise line to bring and play their instruments, I think most people would agree that the best place for them to gather would be a unused lounge. Most would prefer that over the cabin or balcony next to them. The fact that they practice/play together at home on a regular basis makes no difference. It's really no different than people gathering to play games, cards, or even reading a book, these are all things people do at home. Why must it be done on the ship?

This is from a FAQ on Carnival's web site called, Are there restrictions on what we can bring aboard?

Musical Instruments: We will allow musical instruments onboard, however, if a noise complaint is received it will be confiscated by shipboard security and returned to the guest on the morning of debarkation.

So it would probably be allowed until someone complained.

This is from a FAQ on Carnival's web site called, Are there restrictions on what we can bring aboard?

Musical Instruments: We will allow musical instruments onboard, however, if a noise complaint is received it will be confiscated by shipboard security and returned to the guest on the morning of debarkation.

So can we complain about the horrible 2 men and a box? Will they confiscate that stupid music box:confused::p

Once...on one of my least favorite CCL cruises, there was a guy practicing on his guitar out at the pool deck, while the piped in music was going. He was practicing for a talent show on the ship or some such nonsense...

It would have been no problem, had the piped in pool music not been going at the same time. I felt like I was going to go OUT of my mind listening to both at once.

I actually walked up to security, not to complain about the guy but to ask if they could just have the piped in music stopped while this guy was playing. That request was ignored...I got the shoulder shrug (sorry, nothing I can do about it) thing.....

Personally, I'd have liked to listen to the live music, by that guy who was quite good....without the addition of the piped in crap playing simultaneously. It was maddening.

I wonder if this will work with Carnival's paid musicians? Some of them are pretty bad.

I think the OP is picturing playing outside with the ocean in view and breezes blowing, not coped up in a lounge with the door closed. A lounge with the door closed, they might as well play at home and dont bring the instruments on board to me.

No place to play outside that someone wouldnt hear it.

But if they have arranged ahead of time and have the permission of the cruisline to be there then you are in their space. Since this poster asked about it, it seems clear they are trying to be considerate.

If the group was already in the bar/lounge then I wouldn't bother going in. But if I was there enjoying quiet time with a good book, it would annoy me to have a group come in and start playing their musical instruments.

I think a nice quiet space to read might the library. No one can expect total peace and quiet in any public venue. If a guest requires complete solitude maybe their cabin is the best place for that.

As long as a group has permission by the cruise line to bring and play their instruments, I think most people would agree that the best place for them to gather would be a unused lounge. Most would prefer that over the cabin or balcony next to them. The fact that they practice/play together at home on a regular basis makes no difference. It's really no different than people gathering to play games, cards, or even reading a book, these are all things people do at home. Why must it be done on the ship?

The first part of your post, I was wondering when that would be suggested. ;) As far as a group getting together to play games/cards, there are usually a couple small rooms just for those purposes. But as to comparing sitting quietly reading a book to people playing their musical instruments, not the same thing at all.

And on many ships the library is not quiet at all, many of them are open to the centrum, and some have the internet stations in them as well.

Last year on our NCL cruise, there was a large group of 50+ musicians from the Netherlands on board for the 100th anniversary celebration of their musical organization. They contacted the cruise director, and there were several announced as well as impromptu performances set up throughout the cruise by these talented musicians! Having the extra entertainment was fantastic! Most of the time they played as small combos in the empty lounges in the afternoons on sea days. However one highlight was their 'big band' playing in the late afternoon for an hour-long show in the main theatre.

If you're good enough, and you don't mind playing to an audience, I would hope that your cruise director would welcome additional entertainment on board during the week.

Hi,

Several of us musicians are going on the Fantasy early next year. Are there any out-of-the-way spots for us to practice/play in? Yes, Carnival allows us our instruments, we play the Mountain Dulcimer. A very quiet instrument, so it won't be rowdy or loud.

We won't play after dark, and we don't want to disturb others.

Any help with spots onboard suitable for our use?

I love music. My DD is majoring in Music. With that said, I would not want to be subjected to dulcimer music on deck. No offense to you, OP, but that's not what I want on a cruise ship. Now if you are in an lounge, go for it! Play loud and proud, but not on deck. JMHO

I wonder if this will work with Carnival's paid musicians? Some of them are pretty bad.
So true. :D

One of my freinds is part of a 4 piece band, they got a deal to play on an 8 night NCL ship. Two 2 hour sets over the whole 8 nights, comped OV rooms, plus a decent salary for the week to boot. I asked if they needed a grip!;) What a deal!

If the group was already in the bar/lounge then I wouldn't bother going in. But if I was there enjoying quiet time with a good book, it would annoy me to have a group come in and start playing their musical instruments.

This poster is just trying to be considerate and find a place to NOT bother people.

If the group books the room and their time to use it comes up and you are in there reading a book, then it is time for you to move if you do not enjoy their music,

THEY took the time to book the room for their use.

No different than a wedding party using a lounge or group on board using a lounge they booked in advance.

You would be intruding on their space....

Bill

Archived