glenr

Dan

it was in an email-here is the "signature'

Robert

Seabourn

800-929-9391

EMAIL:seareservations@seabourn.comSeabourn.com

and here was my response to his email re the corkage policy;

That's a really bad policy especially in light of the scathing comments Seabourn is getting on the cruise comment boards with respect to the quality of the "house wines". We are trying Seabourn for the first time on this cruise after being long time Regent clients. We just moved to Seattle so thought we'd go with the "home town" line that better fit our schedule this time but are getting a little apprehensive given some of the posted comments and policies like this. We have heard good things as well so better not to prejudge. I guess we're just used to the graciousness we have always found on Regent.

Thank you

I think i was answering Chairsin's inquiry that Dan had responded to with this

Is this an ex HAL employee who doesn't understand the product that wines offered on Seabourn are free. They are charging more for corkage than the pay for the free wines and they save not having to use their own. Maybe they wish to encourage in suite dining where presumably there is no corkage. This is corporate madness - not only that what other new rules will we find when next on board.

Is this an ex HAL employee who doesn't understand the product that wines offered on Seabourn are free. They are charging more for corkage than the pay for the free wines and they save not having to use their own. Maybe they wish to encourage in suite dining where presumably there is no corkage. This is corporate madness - not only that what other new rules will we find when next on board.

No-it was the Seabourn response to my inquiry to it's website for booked passengers. This is an example of bad policies that alienate customers that not only produce little or no revenue or upside for the compnay but generate ill will that spreads quickly. This is a good case example for business school as to just what not to do when you run a business dependent on the good will of your customer base.

I really wouldn't make too bog a deal of this. I have never seen a corkage fee charged and until we get some consistent feedback that it is indeed being charged I would chalk this up to another gap between headquarters and the actual situation on the ships.

I really wouldn't make too bog a deal of this. I have never seen a corkage fee charged and until we get some consistent feedback that it is indeed being charged I would chalk this up to another gap between headquarters and the actual situation on the ships.

Agreed -just bad business management

I envision a huge operations manual that came along with the Seabourn sale. As in most companies, it was never updated or revised. So all some wonk has to do is look up 'corkage fees' and finds a cost, never knowing that while it's on the books it is never charged.

I envision a huge operations manual that came along with the Seabourn sale. As in most companies, it was never updated or revised. So all some wonk has to do is look up 'corkage fees' and finds a cost, never knowing that while it's on the books it is never charged.

but this is the person Seabourn has specifically designated to interface with their customers and answer inquiries from booked passengers .I also received the same answer when i called Seaboun's answer line. If there is a different policy on board the ships good management and customer relations should dictate that those who deal with the customers be consistent and diseminate the same information. Basic business school 101

Laryrob,

Thank you for answering my inquiry -- interesting that it was the famous "Robert' whom to my knowledge has been getting many things wrong and then had to backtrack. I think I may send an Email to Ricahrd Meadows and see what he has to say.

Thanks for all the language lessons!

About the complimentary (or rather: included) wines....

I think it will be a disaster if many guests will bring their own wine on board! Occasionally a special bottle you have bought while in a port won't harm, but I think it will ruin the atmosphere in the dining room if the sommelier or assistant sommeliers will be "bothered" by guests needing special attention every day.

The best solution will be:

Seabourn will buy better wines (my advice;))

Have a nice weekend all!

Marja

for house wine that might be mason jars!

Translation please for those of us with only limited knowledge of US English. What is a "mason jar"?

Personally, I would consign some ( saving a few exceptions) of the Seabourn house wine to a bucket. Or ask the sommellier for a spitoon.

Translation please for those of us with only limited knowledge of US English. What is a "mason jar" ?

Mason jar is a glass jar used in canning to preserve food. They were invented and patented by John Landis Mason, a Philadelphia tinsmith [/url]in 1858. They are also called Ball jars, after Ball Corp., a popular and early manufacturer of the jars.

Marja,

It wouldn't be any worse than some guests drinking the house wine but insisting that they be served in the special glasses.

I agree... some people keep insisting on it. The normal glasses are good enough for the complimentary wine. We all don't get happy when the (assistant)sommeliers get upset:(...! They will start to throw the wine in your glasses and outside...:rolleyes:.

Marja

I agree... some people keep insisting on it. The normal glasses are good enough for the complimentary wine. We all don't get happy when the (assistant)sommeliers get upset:(...! They will start to throw the wine in your glasses and outside...:rolleyes:.

Marja

Without wishing to be in the least contentious, I would respectfully point out that if the Seabourn publicity is correct, their " house wines " aka " included wines" are " Fine wines". Fine wines demand good glasses. Ergo...

Consider?

Mason jar is a glass jar used in canning to preserve food. They were invented and patented by John Landis Mason, a Philadelphia tinsmith in 1858. They are also called Ball jars, after Ball Corp., a popular and early manufacturer of the jars.

Many thanks for the helpful exposition.

So they are not receptacles used by a fraternal organisation. But more akin to the Kilner Jars my wife uses for preserving fruit.

If Seabourn reduces the wine quality further, perhaps Jugs would be more appropriate:rolleyes:

Without wishing to be in the least contentious, I would respectfully point out that if the Seabourn publicity is correct, their " house wines " aka " included wines" are " Fine wines". Fine wines demand good glasses. Ergo...

Consider?

OK.... I considered and must conclude that you are right in your point of view. However, most of us have stated that the house wines are not that fine at the moment. Ergo... In vino veritas!

Marja

Does anyone (particularly Host Dan) know if Seabourn management reads these threads, and, more importantly, thinks of taking action on them? I appreciate that those who contribute to CC are a small percentage of Seabourn cruisers, but would like to think that their views are considered reasonably important. To me, the question of reasonably good included wines, and to a lesser extent of appropriate people to be CD's is important, but are are just banging our heads on a brick wall?

Yes, SB management reads these boards.

Host Dan

Thanks, Dan. That is good to hear - they may or may not take action, but at least they know their customers' feelings. I would never expect management to reply, but at least we can feel it is worth while expressing sincerely held views.:)

OK.... I considered and must conclude that you are right in your point of view. However, most of us have stated that the house wines are not that fine at the moment. Ergo... In vino veritas!

Marja

So, two options? Change the publicity or change the wine.

In view of the the potential to lose valued and valuable guests, its a no brainer. At least to me, unless Seabourn is hell bent on moving down market and losing its USP as a luxury brand.

Archived