St. Petersburg- Ship's tour or private tour?

Gig Harbor Gal

Private tour without a doubt. Were on Celebrity Constellation in May 2011 and used Alla Tours. Our group was guaranteed to be 16 or less and it was a lot better than those we did in other ports with the usual bus full of 50 tourists where the guide is more interested in not losing someone than in telling you about the sight. We were given head of the line privileges at the Hermitage (ahead of groups from Celebrity and HAL). Alla delivered on everything - we saw every sight listed – as listed. Someone complained about getting a box lunch that you ate in the van. That is what was advertised and time better spent that sitting in a restaurant for 1.5 hours.

I endorse the use of private tours in St. Petersburg. I used Red October and they were excellent, although I booked solo tours so I could do what I wanted. More expensive, but worth it IMO - early entry, avoiding long lines and crowds who cannot hear their guides. St. Petersburg is too interesting to miss something you think important. It's not as if it were next door and could be revisited any time.

Private tour without a doubt. Were on Celebrity Constellation in May 2011 and used Alla Tours. Our group was guaranteed to be 16 or less and it was a lot better than those we did in other ports with the usual bus full of 50 tourists where the guide is more interested in not losing someone than in telling you about the sight. We were given head of the line privileges at the Hermitage (ahead of groups from Celebrity and HAL). Alla delivered on everything - we saw every sight listed – as listed. Someone complained about getting a box lunch that you ate in the van. That is what was advertised and time better spent that sitting in a restaurant for 1.5 hours.

couldn't agree more, had a wonderful time with Alla

Many, many years ago we did the ship's tours. Back then in order to get off the ship unless we could get a visa on our own, you had to do a ship's tour.

The ship's tours were good no question, but now that I have done private tours - I would definitely do them when we return (yup, we want to go back).:D

In all honesty, there is simply no comparison. As long as I can find a good private tour, I will take that any day of the week over a ship's tour. While they are usually cheaper, not always - but....the difference is amazing and worth every dollar, euro or ruple. enjoy your cruise and definitely look to the recommendations and do private:D You will have a blast:)

Oh my, private is the way to go! Smaller groups from your roll call (or just your own party) give you so much more for your buck. You can tailor the tour to what you're interested in, not wait to get on and off a large bus, not wait in lines, and so on. I was very happy with the company I chose upon the recommendation of cousins that have used them for years. If interested, let me know and I'll get the info to you.

More here VERY happy that we went with Alla rather than a ship's tour. Our group of 6 saw far, far more than we would have on a ship's tour.

We had pretty quick lunches at local restaurants, certainly not 1.5 hours long. We'd considered the box lunch route, but for us the local restaurants only added to the St. Petersburg experience. At both places we were the only tourists there. Actually, the 'pie shop' near the Hermitage was one of DH's favorite memories there.

We just got back from the Prinsendam Baltic cruise, where we spent 2 days in St Petersburg. We were on a two day tour arrainged by one of the members of our roll call. The operator was SPb Tours and they did a great job. There were 16 of us and for that many people the price was $212 each. This was cheaper that the ship's tours and we saw more. The price is a function of how many people are on the tour, with a max of 16. Some of the people we met on the ship took the Denrus tour and were also pleased with it. By the way, we live close to you in Puyallup.

Jeff

Private is the only way to go - last June on NCL we used Red October - there were 6 of us with a driver and a guide in an almost new van. The guide spoke better english than most of the people in the USA and she was a professor in the University that taught Tourism classes. We beat the crowds into every venue and saw much more than the large bus ship tours. The highlight of our 2 day tour was having lunch with a Russian Family in their home - just outstanding:D One nice thing about Red October is they have a representative her in the US that you can talk to. Would use them again for sure!!!

I would also add that in Tallin, Estonia we did a walking tour with Urban Adventures that was also outstanding. The six of us spend 5 hours walking the old town and having lunch at a local (non-tourist) place with a super guide - cost was $35 per person

Red October! We had a fabulous 2 days with Olga and paid less than half what Princess charged. We arrived a bit early and she was right there with her almost new van and driver. As we were ahead of schedule, she took us to a small but elaborate church that was celebrating early mass. It was lit with flickering candles and the monks were quietly chanting, a wonderful way to start our tour. She customized it for our group of 8, changing midstream as our enthusiasm waxed or waned. Visas were included, as were lunches and we always seemed to go to the head of any lines. If you dock a bit outside of town, be sure to visit the duty free shop at the dock for super prices. Look for the tall 'dolls' with a bottle of vodka inside. You will not be disappointed, except when leaving all too soon.

We took a number of ship's tours over two days in St. Petersburg in June and they were great. Didn't have to worry about visas or about rounding enough people to make it economical; saw all the sights we wanted to see and had some really good Russian food. And of course, no worries about getting back to the ship on time. Worked fine for us; may not be good enough for others. We've been on seven cruises on both HAL and Azamara and have yet to have a bad ship's tour. To me a private tour - especially to Russia - is not worth the hassle.

BTY, I've never seen a posting outlining a bad private tour. I'm sure there have been some but I suspect they're few and far between. No matter the destination they're all either "better"' or "cheaper", or "more inclusive", or "a better deal" than any of the ship's tours, no matter what cruise line. Perhaps they're universally that good, but I suspect that those people that have paid more and gotten less on a private tour are to embarrassed to mention it.

Our first time to Russia via a crise ship -- St Petersbeurg was known as Leningrad -- there weren't any independent operators then -- so no choice but to use the ship's excursions.

We did 5 tours in 2 days -- and learned a lot.

When we returned -- things were different.

Since we knew what we wanted o do -- we booked Red October -- absolutely loved them.

Many, many years ago we did the ship's tours. Back then in order to get off the ship unless we could get a visa on our own, you had to do a ship's tour.

The ship's tours were good no question, but now that I have done private tours - I would definitely do them when we return (yup, we want to go back).:D

In all honesty, there is simply no comparison. As long as I can find a good private tour, I will take that any day of the week over a ship's tour. While they are usually cheaper, not always - but....the difference is amazing and worth every dollar, euro or ruple. enjoy your cruise and definitely look to the recommendations and do private:D You will have a blast:)

kazu..... if I can "pay it forward" just one thing to you (and I would really like to, as you are an amazing addition to this board! :D:) remember SPB Tours when you return! Best decision ever, for St. Petersburg and for Tallinn and Helsinki (and I'm sure it would have been for Berlin too, if we hadn't been rained out! :()

Everyone else, ignore the HAL propaganda onboard about private tours!

Our vote would be a private tour. We used Red October, once loved them. We have also gone with two other tour companies, both good. The big thing is one guide 8 to14 people vs. one guide a big bus and 40 plus people. The wasted time getting on and off the bus, plus waiting for those who can not tell time, is enough. You will see more, and not be rushed, and hearded around. Beside we found it much cheaper.

BTY, I've never seen a posting outlining a bad private tour. I'm sure there have been some but I suspect they're few and far between. No matter the destination they're all either "better"' or "cheaper", or "more inclusive", or "a better deal" than any of the ship's tours, no matter what cruise line. Perhaps they're universally that good, but I suspect that those people that have paid more and gotten less on a private tour are to embarrassed to mention it.

We did have a BAD private tour in Nuku Hiva during our South Pacific Adventure in 2010 - would not do that one with that person again.:mad:

kazu..... if I can "pay it forward" just one thing to you (and I would really like to, as you are an amazing addition to this board! :D:) remember SPB Tours when you return! Best decision ever, for St. Petersburg and for Tallinn and Helsinki (and I'm sure it would have been for Berlin too, if we hadn't been rained out! :()

Everyone else, ignore the HAL propaganda onboard about private tours!

We also used SPB Tours last year and we highly recommend them. Our cruise was during a record heat wave and my DH suffered heat stroke in the Church on the Spilled Blood. SPB Tours was extremely responsive and caring. They made sure he was well cared for and followed up with us afterwards. (BTW DH recovered fairly quickly after we returned to the ship.)

We did a private tour when we spent 2 days in st. petersburg in 2008 - our first attempt at anything not offered by the cruise line. I had to talk my husband into it. It was the best decision! He has said over and over that he is SO glad that I pushed him to try it. We had a small group (6) and a wonderful guide! We used alla and would recommend them.

On my first visit to St. Petersburg, I was "never going to get back there", so I went with Red October for the two days and one night. We saw absolutely everything on every single HAL tour. Didn't have to pick and choose. The fact that we could move faster in our little van, and go to the head of the lines made that possible.

On my second visit to St. Petersburg I only wanted to return to the Summer Palace, and take the river cruise, so I went with the HAL tours. They were fine for what they were. But, we did have to wait in a line that seemed to go on forever at the palace.

If this is your "first & only" visit to St. Petersburg, and you can keep up the pace of all day tours, I recommend going with any of the private companies.

On my first visit to St. Petersburg, I was "never going to get back there", so I went with Red October for the two days and one night. We saw absolutely everything on every single HAL tour. Didn't have to pick and choose. The fact that we could move faster in our little van, and go to the head of the lines made that possible.

On my second visit to St. Petersburg I only wanted to return to the Summer Palace, and take the river cruise, so I went with the HAL tours. They were fine for what they were. But, we did have to wait in a line that seemed to go on forever at the palace.

If this is your "first & only" visit to St. Petersburg, and you can keep up the pace of all day tours, I recommend going with any of the private companies. Goo

Very good advise Ruth. On our visit to St Petersburg we hired a private car & guide. It was fantastic and the only way to go. we used Anastasia and were very happy, but others mentioned are very good as well

My first trip to St. Petersburg was a land trip. We were in the area for 6 full days. We saw more on our three days there using SPB last year than we saw in my first trip.

We have sailed HAL but our Baltic cruise last year was on Azamara with three days in St. Petersburg.

The only draw back to any tour, either ship's or independent, is not having the freedom to leave the ship once your have boarded after your tour. The only way to do this is to have a VISA issued by the Russian government, not one procured as part of a tour.

We put together a group of 8 via Cruise Critic. One member was 15. We did have one member with mobility problems and we used the wheelchair for her from time to time.

The museums and palaces are not terribly accessible. Nor are they air conditioned and we were also there in 100 degree heat with occasional smoke from the fires that had spread across the country.

The biggest advantage to small group tours is tailoring your desires to see specific sites in the most effective way. Every reputable tour company will work with you to design the best use of your limited time. Don't hesitate to make suggestions but do let them plan the timing.

Have a wonderful cruise.

On our Baltic cruise this summer, we splurged on a truly private tour with DenRus - just the two of us, a guide, a driver and a car. This wasn't as expensive as you might think -about $1,000 total for the for two days including everything but tip. Certainly was a wise investment - I can't believe how much we saw in comparison to the HAL excursions.

St. Petersburg was the main destination for us on the tour and we realized we may never visit again. That helped us decide to splurge at this port. We customized the tour and asked for early entrance to the Hermitage. No problem. While not everyone can expect this, turns out we were the only ones in almost every room we visited during early entrance hours. There were large groups in the rooms ahead, large groups in the rooms behind, but in between it was us, our guide, and a (usually) seated security person from the museum. Amazing! We covered so much more of the Hermitage than the guide said she usually covers.

Definitely go with a non-HAL tour. If you can splurge, try a completely private tour or join up with a smaller tour group. You will not regret it.

By the way, DenRus was great but I've heard people also praising SPB and Red October. Competition apparently keeps them all on top of their form.

Archived