Avoiding Tipping

Mickeyc5

I am going on my first RCCL cruise. Tips are not automatically added? Can you prepay them? I'd rather not be bothered trying to allocate them the last day. Are the tips for Room steward put on your bill - or are they tipped also on the last day? Thanks (sorry for the hi-jack)

Your room steward is tipped on the last evening just like your dining room servers. However, you can prepay your tips and then not have to concern yourself with any of it.

If you don't go to the MDR then what do you do with the vouchers that you're suppose to give to your head waiter, waiter and asst. waiter?

The "vouchers" are really just available to you if you wish to have something to "physically" hand your team members and say thank you. Some people will tip more than the amount they've pre-paid, and will slip it into the envelope then. The staff knows who pre-pays; it's your cabin attendant who places all the information on your bed at night. S/he knows. :)

What is the point of posting a service charge everyday? Why don't they just post it once for the cruise and be done with it? It isn't as if they don't know how many days you are going to be on the ship.:confused:

True, buddy.

Which is not to say that everyone in the Windjammer is there in order to avoid tipping.;):)

True, buddy.

Do people go to specialty dining on the last night to avoid seeing and tipping the MDR waitstaff? Before the flames, I have MTD so my tips are paid but the only reservation I could make for Central Park 150 was the last night and am wondering if I'm going to be there with a bunch of dead beats. :D

I can't believe the silly things people start threads about on here. :rolleyes:

I usually do not eat in the main dining room but I always have my tips pre-paid. No matter where I eat on the ship I am being taken care of and the workers on these cruise ships work long hours. Like someone else said if you can not afford to pay the tips you should not be cruising.

If you don't go to the MDR then what do you do with the vouchers that you're suppose to give to your head waiter, waiter and asst. waiter?

The vouchers are not necessary for the waiters & other staff to receive your pre-paid tip..

When I was on the Monarch I did MTD specifically so I COULD pre-pay my tips & not worry about being in the dining room the last night if I did not want to be...turns out I wasn't there..but in the WJ instead...so NOT everyone who is there the last night is avoiding tipping...I just didn't want to deal with packing..dressing for dinner..and then packing my dinner clothes...

I am going on my first RCCL cruise. Tips are not automatically added? Can you prepay them? I'd rather not be bothered trying to allocate them the last day. Are the tips for Room steward put on your bill - or are they tipped also on the last day? Thanks (sorry for the hi-jack)

Welcome to your first RCCL cruise!

Check out this post in the FAQ thread for a good summary of all things tipping for RCCL.

Theron

I really do have a problem with people who do not tip because the waiters etc don't get a living wage - and have to rely you and me to pay them for their work. I do wish that the "tips" would just go away and pay everybody a real wage. I really don't want to be part of slavery and working without pay is slavery.

As I understand it, slaves never had an option as to whether or not they wanted to take on a job.:rolleyes:

Exactly... The last time I checked with the waiters and stewards, nobody went to their home country, chased them down, strapped them in chains and dragged them off to Miami.

Such a cavalier comparison is most likely extremely insulting to many people.

These staff members do not work without pay. They work with the provision that the customer may choose to not pay them. I've said before, this is the only industry in the entire world that operates under that model. But they freely choose to come and work under that provision. That should tell you something.

Theron

We book late dinner seating. And we do a lot of the specialty resturants. If we have dinner outside the MDR it is usually so I can get some last minute packing done earlier then after the second seating dinner. We make it a point to see our assigned table staff to give tips maybe some extra or at least the prepaid vouchers. DH will take a few minutes and say our good byes to our table mates and wait staff.

Come on Nyorker11, why was he pissed, were you on a 90 day segment of a world cruise?

I think the guys who cleaned up my kids throw up twice should of gotten a tip. Or whoever cleaned up the throw up on the elevator my son threw up in and the poor lady who got throw up on her shoes from my son. Lol.

At least i didnt prepay the tips. Its was $58 a person and there were 5 of us. So 90 bux for the steward and nothing for the others. But i did tip 10 bux in portofino twice.

I think the guys who cleaned up my kids throw up twice should of gotten a tip. Or whoever cleaned up the throw up on the elevator my son threw up in and the poor lady who got throw up on her shoes from my son. Lol.

At least i didnt prepay the tips. Its was $58 a person and there were 5 of us. So 90 bux for the steward and nothing for the others. But i did tip 10 bux in portofino twice.

So you guys never ate anything onboard? No one gave you service that merited a tip?

My guess is that the people who want to avoid tipping will dine in the Windjammer rather than the Specialty restaurants on the last night.

We ate in the Windjammer the last night, which was last night. :D (just got off the Allure).

I personally think that the menu on the last night STINKS.

I always just put the gratuities on my SeaPass. The waitstaff knows that - they get a list.

in uk tipping is not an automatic requirement. we always remove any automatic tips off our bill by visiting reception and then we tip who we want, when we want and by how much we want according to whether the service has been above average or exceptionally good.

That brings my question up: I am going on a med cruise out of Rome. I understand there will be many Italians on the ship. Europeans do not tip as far as I know. So what happend then? I will be prepaying as it was part of my "goody" from the travel agent. But what happens to those who rely on tips?

Originally Posted by yarlenna viewpost.gif

I really do have a problem with people who do not tip because the waiters etc don't get a living wage - and have to rely you and me to pay them for their work. I do wish that the "tips" would just go away and pay everybody a real wage. I really don't want to be part of slavery and working without pay is slavery.

We always tip over and above what we are supposed to..

However, these service people are not slaves by any means...They sign a contract and must make a decent wage..otherwise they'd be outta there!

The sad fact is there are some people and people of certain cultures and nationalities that think its just fine to indulge a service worker and consume that workers very best service effort and leave a sub standard tip or no tip..........Shame on these people!

I really wish these people would inform the service provider up from that they will not be getting a tip..this would level the playing field and give the service worker an opportunity to understand and not feel snubbed after they have done their job and received little or no gratuity. :)

Archived