passport for child help!!??

laniriveira

So, I going this coming Tuesday (after the holiday weekend) to apply for a passport for my two kids. Now, I have all the documents filled out printed and ready to go my question is, on daughters birth certificate my name is incorrect. The hospital put my middle name down as my first and my first name as my middle. Will this be a problem in getting their passports? I have my birth certificate, my marriage certificate, my ss card all with my name correct by for some strange reason i didn't notice this on my daughters birth certificate until now!!

Per the link given in post #2, it appears you may need a court order, because you are not just changing the spelling of your name, you are changing the name itself.

Personally, I am not sure this would ever even be noticed. Only your children's BCs will be sent with the application. Your documents stay with you and they are just used to identify you during your appointment. If it was me, I'd keep the appointment and see if anything is said.

No I'm def going to be changing my name on my child birth certificate but it does state that its a 4 month processing time so of course it can't be done prior to our cruise. I called carnival and they said not to worry they basically check the certificate for authenticity and the childs name matching the booking. So, I guess I'm going to go apply for a passport and hope it doesn't stop them for giving us one!!

I'm not sure about the birth certificate thing, but I want to be sure you know that BOTH parents must be present when applying for a passport for a minor child. That is something that seems to be in the fine print that a lot of people miss.

I'm not sure about the birth certificate thing, but I want to be sure you know that BOTH parents must be present when applying for a passport for a minor child. That is something that seems to be in the fine print that a lot of people miss.

Yes I do know that my husband and I (kids father) needs to be present. I'm just worried because my name is wrong on the birth certificate and I hope this doesn't pose a problem. I mean my drivers license, military id, are correct and i do have my maiden name and married name ss card so i hope they don't think I'm not my kids mom because the name is different!!!!

btw its a closed loop cruise frm long beach ca and when i called carnival the lady told me that it shouldn't be a problem that my names were mixed up and that the only thing they check is to make sure it is a legal certificate and that the name on the birth certificate is correct as the booking.

Don't go by what Carnival says when it comes to getting a passport. Carnival is matching if you present a BC at the pier instead of a passport. Expect that you may have an issue getting a passport for your daughter.

no i know not to believe what they say about applying for a passport but i just want to make sure she can board the ship since we sail in 29 days but once I'm home i'll take the necessary steps to changing my name on her birth certificate, its just that that process takes approx 4 months and i can't do that and apply for a passport for her b4 we leave.

You do realize that when you apply for the passport on Tuesday, they will keep the birth certificates for the kids and send them in with the applications. You might not have them back before your cruise, especially with a national passport day coming up, so make sure you have another certified copy for your cruise.

The lady at Carnival was assuming that you are intending to use the birth certificate as her proof of citizenship. If you have a passport for your daughter, you won't be using the birth certificate, so what IT says is immaterial. EM

You can certainly keep your appointment, but I'm not sure the success that you will have. We went on Friday to get our son's passport and the agent checked EVERYTHING. Even if he would have missed something you have to send the birth certificate in with the application and I doubt that this would be missed twice.

As Carnival has said, they will likely not fuss about the issue but that does not mean that Customs will not. If you are not able to get the passport and have to use the birth certificate as ID for your child I would make sure and bring any and all paperwork that you have proving that your child is your own.

I am a passport clerk. I will say that the more evidence you can send in the better.. Do you have passport yourself? You can also send it in.. You definitely need to get her b/c amended.. As for both parents being there.. That is not necessarily true.. You can fill out the form and have it notarized and submit copy of front and back of missing parent drivers license. I have done some that I attached 5 or 6 sheets extra to prove identity.. That is what they are after. They will run a background check on you anyway.

Missy

I am a passport clerk. I will say that the more evidence you can send in the better.. Do you have passport yourself? You can also send it in.. You definitely need to get her b/c amended.. As for both parents being there.. That is not necessarily true.. You can fill out the form and have it notarized and submit copy of front and back of missing parent drivers license. I have done some that I attached 5 or 6 sheets extra to prove identity.. That is what they are after. They will run a background check on you anyway.

Missy

My husband will be with me to apply for her passport, but I just so concerned about my name being incorrect on her certificate. Like i said before i will be doing all the necessary paperwork to have it amended. Do you know what type of paper work to show relationship would be good. Like should I call my ob and get medical reports from him? Also, my credit cards and bank statements are with my middle name first (i dislike my first name) so should i make copies of those to add as evidence that i'm her mother ... along with my id etc? I do not have a passport myself. I do have both my ss card with both last names ... idk i'm stressing and hope everything goes thru. The only other option i have is that we are on a closed loop and the lady i talked to from carnival said it won't be a problem, but does anyone know exactly what they look for when a child boards? Like, do you think it may be best to get a notarized paper stating my incorrect name and i approve her to sail instead of hoping they don't notice the name on dd b/c is off frm my id????

My husband will be with me to apply for her passport, but I just so concerned about my name being incorrect on her certificate. Like i said before i will be doing all the necessary paperwork to have it amended. Do you know what type of paper work to show relationship would be good. Like should I call my ob and get medical reports from him? Also, my credit cards and bank statements are with my middle name first (i dislike my first name) so should i make copies of those to add as evidence that i'm her mother ... along with my id etc? I do not have a passport myself. I do have both my ss card with both last names ... idk i'm stressing and hope everything goes thru. The only other option i have is that we are on a closed loop and the lady i talked to from carnival said it won't be a problem, but does anyone know exactly what they look for when a child boards? Like, do you think it may be best to get a notarized paper stating my incorrect name and i approve her to sail instead of hoping they don't notice the name on dd b/c is off frm my id????

go online to www.travel.state.gov and look around there as to what all the accepted documentation is.. you could even call the 800 number and talk to them. I dont have it here handy before I started my reply or I would post for you. Do not send medical records..They won't take that.

Unless you want to pay for the rush processing & delivery, or go to a passport office (http://travel.state.gov/passport/npic/agencies/agencies_913.html) I would probably give it a pass at this point. Even with the rush processing it's not certain you'd get the passport in 28 days. (http://travel.state.gov/passport/processing/processing_1740.html)

I would probably start the BC modification process now, and you'll have plenty of time to get it done before the next cruise.

I would not trust that the USPS agent accepting the documents would mean anything. Their task is to make sure you are all who you say you are. I would doubt (hope?) that the State Dept would catch the BC error and not issue the passport.

If you go to LA or SD, at least you will know the docs are acceptable, and I believe you get the passport same day.

Also, as someone said DO NOT surrender the BC unless you have another official copy. You may or may not get it back in time, and if you don't get the PP you definitely need the BC.

Good Luck and Bon Voyage!

Archived