My Experience in CL with Kids

klove613

The problem with kids isn't the kids . . . it's the parents. I doubt anyone would seriously object to well-behaved children of any age who sat quietly and made pleasant conversation with their parents, etc. I wouldn't.

Unfortunately, too many parents believe it is the God-given right of their children to scream, run around, jump on furniture, play loud video games, and the like regardless of the environment. Rather than remove the children from the environment, they just sit there and watch while their kids annoy everyone around them.

And when the children misbehave in the CL, it's left to the Concierge to play "cop," which we all know isn't going to happen b/c he/she doesn't want to offend suite guests or the most loyal cruisers.

That's the problem. Unfortunately, it appears that we have to live with it. :(

I have to agree. The kids will only act the way the adults will allow. But to outright ban kids as a group is not correct IMHO. :)

We only have one cruise out of 9 booked in high Kid season as someone mentioned and that is on the Jewel for Thanksgiving. Our only concern is the space factor since the concierge lounge is quite small - so hopefully with us eating early, we can grab a quick drink and then comeback after dinner to have a nightcap and the little ones will be in the cabins, sleeping. We are setting our judgment aside til we experience any problems:)

i was on Jewel last thanksgiving..if you weren't in the lounge by 4:45 you did NOT get a seat..it was PACKED...they even dragged in chairs from the little sitting area outside..AND they let people take food/drinks out there too.....

and it was STILL full even AFTER dinner....heck, the place was still packed as the bartenders were packing up......they'd top everyone off and they'd leave...

had a great time, but really you had to be in there early...by a little after 5 all the seats were taken....

The problem with kids isn't the kids . . . it's the parents. I doubt anyone would seriously object to well-behaved children of any age who sat quietly and made pleasant conversation with their parents, etc. I wouldn't.

Unfortunately, too many parents believe it is the God-given right of their children to scream, run around, jump on furniture, play loud video games, and the like regardless of the environment. Rather than remove the children from the environment, they just sit there and watch while their kids annoy everyone around them.

And when the children misbehave in the CL, it's left to the Concierge to play "cop," which we all know isn't going to happen b/c he/she doesn't want to offend suite guests or the most loyal cruisers.

That's the problem. Unfortunately, it appears that we have to live with it. :(

And this type of parent is becoming more common. They are afraid to discipline their kids because they won't be their friends or their self-esteem could be damaged.

We were on the Radiance out of Tampa last year and your right - it was packed then too - we got there about 4:45 to get a seat - we didn't eat til late so it was fine

This year we are doing main dining - so we will be in there about the same time - stay for a drink and then come back in later :)

We were on the Radiance out of Tampa last year and your right - it was packed then too - we got there about 4:45 to get a seat - we didn't eat til late so it was fine

:)

We were also on the Radiance last December. We never got a seat at any time we visited. It appears some people come in, and stay the entire time. We would have to stand up, get one drink, have some munchies then leave. I don't think that is the purpose otherwise it would be larger with more seats. We ended up going down to the Diamond event instead.

We'll probably recognize each other this year - we did a back to back in December as well as doing one this year - so we will probably see you in the lounge - with a seat - lol - we eat late on the first 5 days starting the 5th and then the second one - we are eating early starting the 10th - I believe it was a re-union cruise for a large group - thats why the lounge was so full - not sure if they are back this year:)

Hmmm. Out of curiosity, were there also fit adults taking up seats while that elderly person is leaning on a cane in the waiting room as well, or were they all occupied by childrem? Or is it just children who should be getting up for elders?

Yes, there are fit adults, including gentlemen, that do not offer their seats as well as women. Those I consider just don't know better or don't care. However, it really galls me to see children who are much more agile taking up a seat when there is obviously someone who really needs it.

I have been on Medicare for a few years and I will still get up and offer my seat to someone who appears more in need for it than me and for sure older than me, need it or not. To me, that is basic manners taught to me at a young age which I taught my boys to do. After awhile, I didn't even have to give them "the look," they popped up if someone the "ancient" age of 40 needed a seat and all were occupied.

Tucker in Texas

Yeah, Jean, but you don't sail in "high kid season". I see lots of kids in the Schooner Bar, boisterous and otherwise. I see them in the specialty restaurants, I see them on elevators, leaving their dirty plates on the floor, I see them on the stairs, blocking them entirely. I see them at the Love & Marriage Show, I see them at Quest. I see them PERFORMING Quests. I see them in the "first three rows of the theatre unaccompanied by an adult".

Not true - we sail every New Year's Eve now and have had a few spring break cruises as well, although that more a college crowd. The kids on the stairs, elevators, etc. have nothing to do with whether one can have a drink without being run over by them. I may not have to sail exclusively on school breaks the way you do, but I've done it enough that I still think one can find a quiet place to have a drink. And IME that quiet place has almost never been the CL.

I've seen ADULTS sitting on the f___ stairs, too. I think the kids learn from us, not always in a good way, either.

It appears to me for the listed "cocktail" times in the CL, the purpose is for a pre- or after dinner drink; not supposed to be a 4 hour destination.:rolleyes:

If people want to bring their kiddos in for a brief time, the kiddos can surely stand up for the time. That doesn't really bother me too much since it is the special lounge for those that qualify, what are they supposed to do with their kiddos? (Their precious treasures need to to be shared with others):rolleyes: Just don't park there for hours and keep them under control. I'm sure the kiddos would rather be somewhere else anyway.

Not true - we sail every New Year's Eve now and have had a few spring break cruises as well, although that more a college crowd. The kids on the stairs, elevators, etc. have nothing to do with whether one can have a drink without being run over by them. I may not have to sail exclusively on school breaks the way you do, but I've done it enough that I still think one can find a quiet place to have a drink. And IME that quiet place has almost never been the CL.

I've seen ADULTS sitting on the f___ stairs, too. I think the kids learn from us, not always in a good way, either.

You have really seen adults blocking the stairs? THAT I have never seen!

I certainly agree that children learn their behavior from adults, for better or for worse. Although the "pack mentality" kicks in on a cruise, when kids are very invested in impressing their new friends.

My point was the general (bad) behavior of some children on cruises, which we can hardly expect will stop at the door of the Concierge Lounge.

I certainly agree that children learn their behavior from adults, for better or for worse. Although the "pack mentality" kicks in on a cruise, when kids are very invested in impressing their new friends.

My point was the general (bad) behavior of some children on cruises, which we can hardly expect will stop at the door of the Concierge Lounge.

For the record, I've seen adults sitting on the stairs blocking them completely. Rude!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just came off the Allure. I didn't have a suite but I was in the diamond lounge during cocktail hour (Dazzles). The children who came in were quickly asked to leave much to our delight. There were lots of rude pre-teens on our sailing so it was nice to get away from that for a little bit.

Why were they asked to leave?

Yeppers, I have. And I don't think the bad behavior will stop at the door, but if people are really concerned about a quiet place to have a drink, I think they can find one. They'll have to pay for it, though.

And we've both seen plenty of behavior in the CL that others would consider "bad.";)

Why were they asked to leave?

Because the DL is still adults only during the cocktail hour. Only the CL allows children.

A CL is also for obtaining priveleges, like help scheduling speciality restaurant dining. It gives you access to someone that can correct a problem. You stated my point exactly, RCI should have, as they have for the last 20 plus years with great growth, needs to restore or effectively create an adults only venue. for suite guests and D+. I do not think the children will feel comfortable around some of the "adult" talk you hear in the lounges.

Also has anyone figured out that the cruisers with small chilkdren are also pushing this issue for a "free drink"

But what about the under 21's who are Diamond Plus because they actually sailed all those cruises and not as just passenger number three in a cabin but as Passenger number one and two in a cabin. So they have become Diamond Plus by a cost equal to that paid by any over 21 passenger. In many cases $25,000 spent for one under 21 to become Diamond Plus. So what? They get nothing? Why can't they go into the Lounge and have a coke and some appetizers before dinner? What REALLY is the problem here?

Some of you people need to get a grip or you are going to spoil it for all us Diamond Plus and RCL will say to hell with you all. You don't appreciate what we give you so we won't give it anymore.

What will it take for some of you to understand the Company is trying to make money not coddle over indulged frequent cruisers who tend to spend less on board than first time big extended family cruisers? Isn't this a free market? Why do so many of you expect handouts?

i was on Jewel last thanksgiving..if you weren't in the lounge by 4:45 you did NOT get a seat..it was PACKED...they even dragged in chairs from the little sitting area outside..AND they let people take food/drinks out there too.....

and it was STILL full even AFTER dinner....heck, the place was still packed as the bartenders were packing up......they'd top everyone off and they'd leave...

had a great time, but really you had to be in there early...by a little after 5 all the seats were taken....

So you got there early to get a seat and then witnessed Bartenders topping off drinks at closing time? Wow! Now that is what should be stopped. This is supposed to be a before or after dinner drink lounge, not a 3 1/2 hour booze fest. This is what is going to ruin it for everyone, not the kids.

So you got there early to get a seat and then witnessed Bartenders topping off drinks at closing time? Wow! Now that is what should be stopped. This is supposed to be a before or after dinner drink lounge, not a 3 1/2 hour booze fest. This is what is going to ruin it for everyone, not the kids.

I think you misread her post.

"AFTER DINNER" indicated that she left the lounge, returned after dinner and then observed the closing of the CL.

If that is the case then she wasn't there for a 3 1/2 hour "booze fest".

On my last cruise on the Liberty I went to the CL alone and with my roommate. I do not think that children should be banned from the

CL as long as they are well behaved. No one will feel comfortable if

there are kids running about and its really the parents that need to

monitor this.

I am all for the kids (I was one myself once) but the parents need

to monitor them.

Good parenting is impossible to govern.

This year we are doing main dining - so we will be in there about the same time - stay for a drink and then come back in later :)

Well no wonder the lounge is crowded if folks get there at 4:45 and stay till “late” dinner. Perhaps the issue is not families who may be there with a child for 30 minutes but adults who stay the entire 3 hour time fame. I know that RCCL does not limit the time or amount of drinking but three hours or so seems like a lot of time taking up a seat.

I do not travel with young children (but don’t mind them in the lounge) but hey if the issue is “overcrowding” let’s take a look at who is taking up seats.

Just sayin'

M

Well no wonder the lounge is crowded if folks get there at 4:45 and stay till “late” dinner. Perhaps the issue is not families who may be there with a child for 30 minutes but adults who stay the entire 3 hour time fame.

This has been going on for quite sometime.

Many even brag about it here on this bb!:eek:

No big shock-kids in-loyalty reward out very soon I'm thinking!!

For the record, I've seen adults sitting on the stairs blocking them completely. Rude!

Yup...me too. Two women in cocktail garb, completely blocking most of the stairwell, and had to excuse ourselves just to get by them.

We found them still there an hour later, had to excuse ourselves to get by once again. :(

Did not look like a comfortable living room to me! :eek: Rude AND dumb. ;)

Yes, there are fit adults, including gentlemen, that do not offer their seats as well as women. Those I consider just don't know better or don't care. However, it really galls me to see children who are much more agile taking up a seat when there is obviously someone who really needs it.

I have been on Medicare for a few years and I will still get up and offer my seat to someone who appears more in need for it than me and for sure older than me, need it or not. To me, that is basic manners taught to me at a young age which I taught my boys to do. After awhile, I didn't even have to give them "the look," they popped up if someone the "ancient" age of 40 needed a seat and all were occupied.

Tucker in Texas

See, that's where I will disagree with you (and yes, I know others do not agree with me as well) I would rather have the child in the seat, where it will not be wandering around restless, and have a healthy adult give up it's seat. There is no reason any reasonably fit adult cannot stand for awhile. If I am in a crowded area with my DD, and someone comes in that looks like they need a seat, then I will either give up my own and stand next to my daughters chair, or have her come sit with me.

Basic manners is basic manners, whether they are a child or an adult, but you are pointing out only the child as the one who galls you. This same thing goes with the discussion of the CL. Granted much of this is because children were not in there in the past, so they are the "newbies" and taking up space they did not before. But once this policy is in effect, then it really should be fit adults who should give their seats up first for people who need to sit. However, that's not what is brought up in discussions.

Actually I have as well. Though I have never had a time where they (adults or kids) have not moved out of the way as I have come by them, so hasn't really been an issue for me.

Archived