My Experience in CL with Kids

klove613

That would be an excellent solution. The Sea Pass could be coded so that the sale could be run through the register to keep the liquor inventory correct and just produce a N/C tab for the guest to sign.

Unfortunately, we all know some individuals would abuse the system and buy drinks for their non suite friends; but this is a remedy certainly worthy of exploration. Perhaps if the register put a 20 minute hold on each alcohol purchase it would limit possible abuse.

They already do this with soda packages as well as they have been exploring with drink packages across the pond....and keep in mind that Celebrity already deals with alcohol packages....so I am sure they can easily figure it all out for the least amount of abuse.

I must say, this summer on the Mariner in Europe was the first time there was ever an issue with children in the CL. I have been on other RCI ships in the CL with children and could care less. There was NEVER an issue like this. This was a 13-night sailing and the first few nights it was adults only in the CL. Also, every night when we left for dinner, it was crowed.

I would say by the 4th night, pre-teen age kids came in with their parents and were very loud. Mom & dad kept telling them to lower their voices but hey, they were kids on vacation..... The following night the family came in again and the kids basically raided the food trays, were tossing the dvd's around in the draws and were loud again. The tables on each side of my family kept looking at us & others wondering if anything was going to be done since it was that noticable. But while my family was there, over an hour, no action was taken. That night after my family left and ate dinner, we went back to talk to the employee about the situation. He stated that there were serveral other couples that already came to him about it and he stated he would take care of it. He did. The kids were not in there the rest of the trip but a few nights mom/dad came in, got drinks & left again. They did not stay.

When my family went in the CL, we expected to converse with fellow passengers and enjoy cocktails before dinner. When you can't hear what the person sitting across from you is saying due to teens mis-behaving is rude on their part. I have to say when growing up and traveling on ships, I (along with my brothers) had to stay out of the adult only areas and be respectful to fellow passengers. Mom & dad enforced it and that was that. Seeing now-a-days what kids get away with is amazing.

I know each sailing you are going to get different situations but when the staff sees the situation (& you cant tell me 3 of them did not see what was happening...plus they were picking up after them) something should have been done prior to other passengers saying something. This was ongoing for quite awhile prior to us going to dinner but we felt it wasn't our place to say anything to the family since it was their business and their kids. I really hope if RCI implements these 'rules', they enforce them. But then again, look at the other boards about dress in the dining room, 'no saving of seats', bringing alcohol onboard, ect. It is a never ending that they have these rules but really dont go crazy enforcing them.

Just my thought..... :)

Tina

I must say, this summer on the Mariner in Europe was the first time there was ever an issue with children in the CL. I have been on other RCI ships in the CL with children and could care less. There was NEVER an issue like this. This was a 13-night sailing and the first few nights it was adults only in the CL. Also, every night when we left for dinner, it was crowed.

I would say by the 4th night, pre-teen age kids came in with their parents and were very loud. Mom & dad kept telling them to lower their voices but hey, they were kids on vacation..... The following night the family came in again and the kids basically raided the food trays, were tossing the dvd's around in the draws and were loud again. The tables on each side of my family kept looking at us & others wondering if anything was going to be done since it was that noticable. But while my family was there, over an hour, no action was taken. That night after my family left and ate dinner, we went back to talk to the employee about the situation. He stated that there were serveral other couples that already came to him about it and he stated he would take care of it. He did. The kids were not in there the rest of the trip but a few nights mom/dad came in, got drinks & left again. They did not stay.

When my family went in the CL, we expected to converse with fellow passengers and enjoy cocktails before dinner. When you can't hear what the person sitting across from you is saying due to teens mis-behaving is rude on their part. I have to say when growing up and traveling on ships, I (along with my brothers) had to stay out of the adult only areas and be respectful to fellow passengers. Mom & dad enforced it and that was that. Seeing now-a-days what kids get away with is amazing.

I know each sailing you are going to get different situations but when the staff sees the situation (& you cant tell me 3 of them did not see what was happening...plus they were picking up after them) something should have been done prior to other passengers saying something. This was ongoing for quite awhile prior to us going to dinner but we felt it wasn't our place to say anything to the family since it was their business and their kids. I really hope if RCI implements these 'rules', they enforce them. But then again, look at the other boards about dress in the dining room, 'no saving of seats', bringing alcohol onboard, ect. It is a never ending that they have these rules but really dont go crazy enforcing them.

Just my thought..... :)

Tina

Don't expect the concierge to enforce the rules. Can you imagine a concierrge asking mom or dad to calm their little angels down or make them behave? It would be suicide. Kids who act like that in public do so because the parents could care less and think that their kids do no wrong.

I understand that Adam G has been bombarded with emails about the change and this change may be revisited.

Don't expect the concierge to enforce the rules. Can you imagine a concierrge asking mom or dad to calm their little angels down or make them behave? It would be suicide. Kids who act like that in public do so because the parents could care less and think that their kids do no wrong.

I understand that Adam G has been bombarded with emails about the change and this change may be revisited.

How unfair to the Concierge but that doesn't surprise me at all given that RCI corporate has thrown other employees under the bus and makes them do the dirty work all of the time.

No I can't imagine the Concierge having to tell parents that their children are disturbing other pax. Staff hesitates now to tell parents their kids are out of line and I've seen how pax treated MDR staff when they used to ask people to change before entering the MDR.:eek:

RCI is becoming the "free for all" line. Do as you please..wear what you please..act as you please...treat crew as you please...:(

Absolutely agree Gordon....these are concierges we are talking about not security guards....they are not going to get in the middle of this mess....Royal obviously doesn't realize they are looking to make tips and taking on a security detail is not going to help their income in any way.

Absolutely agree Gordon....these are concierges we are talking about not security guards....they are not going to get in the middle of this mess....Royal obviously doesn't realize they are looking to make tips and taking on a security detail is not going to help their income in any way.

On the Allure back in June, both concierges ignored who was wearing what. They stated that someone booked in the Royal Loft complained to RCI when they were asked to go and change from shorts. They have given up and as stated above, I don't blame them.

I love the idea of suite guests being offered an alternative to the cocktail hour in the CL. We are fairly new to cruising and it will take us a long time to get to D+, however we have booked a suite for our upcoming Allure cruise and want to be able to take advantage of the free drinks but we do have young children that will not yet be at Adventure Ocean and don't want to drag them into the CL either. I think offering a bottle or bottles be sent to the cabin or being able to utilize other bars during 5-8:30pm would be perfect in my situation. I would much rather enjoy my free drinks on my ATS balcony than in the CL :D

From one D+ to another . . . I agree with you two . . . great idea. Smart marketing. I sure would like to be able to enjoy my suite when I have one rather than the crowded lounge especially when I can't get a seat.

The Concierge lounge used to be the only place we could all have some quality adult only time for 3 ½ hours a day – in reality most of us actually only use the lounge for 60-90 minutes each day but we always knew it was our place only for a 3 ½ time period every evening.

For some reason RCI now feels compelled to grant children 100% access to the entire ship 24/7 because of the complaints of a handful of Suite passengers.

What I don't understand is why a Suite Passenger would want to come in the Concierge Lounge in the first place when they already have a beautiful, spacious cabin where they can totally control their own environment. What is the attraction of a crowded, loud Concierge Lounge where it is often very difficult to get 2 seats together let alone seating for a family of 4 or 5 or 6?

We all know the big issue is the alcohol. Of course the Suite guests are upset (and rightfully so) that they cannot have free drinks for their whole family after they have paid 3-8 times more per passenger for the same cruise as the other guests. RCI could solve 90% of this issue if they would provide alcohol (or an alcohol allowance) to their Suite guests to be served IN THE SUITE. It would relieve some of the congestion in the Concierge Lounge and it would eliminate many of the requests to bring children into the lounge.

Obviously, Suite passengers not traveling with children should continue to be offered the option of the alcohol in their suite OR in the Concierge Lounge. I'm just offering up a solution to the under 21 problem that has caused such a Dust Up this past week. I have seen MANY posts by regular Suite passengers, who never travel with children, who are as opposed to the new rule as are many of the non suite passengers.

We were in the Concierge Lounge two months ago when a passenger (obviously on his first cruise & with his family) from the Grand Suite came into the Lounge by himself, went to the bartender and requested a "Bucket Of Beers" to take back to the cabin. The bartender told him it was not permitted (and it is not under current RCI rules). That is just a REALLY DUMB RULE. The passenger was furious and I don't blame him. He had paid for the most expensive cabin on the ship, it was his first cruise, he didn't know the rules and he was stunned. So the next night he came into the Lounge and brought his two teenage children with him and the kids came every night for the rest of the week. The kids were obnoxious, loud, vulgar and basically ruined the atmosphere in the lounge for everyone.

My point is, all it would have taken was a $15 bucket of beer each night and the whole family would have spent the week in their beautiful, spacious Suite; they would have been happy and everyone else who came to the Concierge Lounge each night would have had a better experience.

When not cruising, my wife and I probably get invited to a “cocktail” type party 10-20 times a year. I can honestly say, in the last 25 years, we have NEVER received a single invitation to any “cocktail” type party that said “please bring your children”!!!!!!!!

RCI really needs to restore the old policy of 3 1/2 hours of adult ONLY time in the Concierge & Diamond Lounges.

Suite guests already have gold cards to distinguish themselves....another easy solution to this would be to allow suite guests to order free wine, beer and champagne at any lounge during the same hours of 5-8:30 as the cocktail hour in the CL.....just show your gold card.

The problem RCCL will have with that is there is no way to limit how many people are getting free drinks off that golf card. What is to stop someone from getting a drink, giving it to a friend, get another drink, give it to a friend ....

The problem RCCL will have with that is there is no way to limit how many people are getting free drinks off that golf card. What is to stop someone from getting a drink, giving it to a friend, get another drink, give it to a friend ....

Like I said....they have drink packages on their sister line Celebrity.....I am sure they have safeties in place...what prevents it from happening there:confused: We also have to remeber the wine they are serving in the CL for cocktail hour...Le Terre....AKA...Le Terrible ....sells for a whopping $5-6 retail per bottle:eek:that alone is a slap in the face for a suite guest paying $20K for their family for 1 week....there are many times I have gotten so tired of a tasteless glass of free wine that I have left to go down to Vintages to pay for a "real" glass of wine.

Wow, I did not know about this change. Thank Heavens when I was on the Enchantment during spring break with *900* plus kids on board (including my own darling nieces and nephew) the "no kids" rule was in effect, and the concierge did in fact enforce it. The fact that many pax wanted to get away from even their own kids may have helped<G>

el henry

Thanks for sharing your actual experience. Now, run and duck for cover.:eek:;):p

Thank you for your factual account of what you witnessed. I sincerely hope this thread will not go the way of the other one and end up getting closed because it got so heated and nasty. Perhaps members could just respect that this is one person's account of what she saw. Just a suggestion, and no I'm not the board police. It's just a suggestion. :)

Here is another "real" "actual" experience.

I just disembarked from the Allure.

The first week, the old rules were in effect.

Suddenly, the second week, children were allowed in.

Throughout BOTH weeks, there were always some adults in the CL who were completely inappropriately dressed. The Concierges did nothing. What could they do? You should see what I saw walking into the dining room!

Dining room examples:

It's formal night. Many people have dressed up. Most are at least "decent".

Spotted entering the dining room:

Button down shirt, shorts, sneakers.

Child in BATHING SUIT.

Capris, t-shirt, sneakers.

Just a few examples.

Back to the Concierge Lounge.

Adults in bathing suits with coverups, some that cover........some not so much.

A LOT of shorts.

The children issue: Fernando and Marina tried to keep them out the first week, but many parents were obviously giving them a hard time. There were some limits - they weren't staying there forever, but they were there.

Second week, all restraints came off. LOTS of kids in the CL. They were like LOCUSTS at the food displays.

One family sitting at a big table: four children, Dad wearing a wifebeater. (a term that I abhor, but I wanted to communicate the mental picture to you all)

The servers hated it, too. They balance full trays of very full glasses, such as martinis and cosmopolitans in those iconic slanted glasses. One little sideswipe or need to avoid a speeding small body, and SHAZAM: wipeout!

Royal Caribbean looks at the situation and reacts stupidly (like the San Juan fiasco): a few suite guests have complained about their LITTLE CHILDREN not being allowed into the Concierge Lounge between 5 & 8:30. So their stupid reaction: Make those few whiners happy.

Real situation: They are making a HELL of a lot more passengers unhappy by allowing children in.

It's a true DUH moment for most of us. But never underestimate the power of the decision-makers at Royal Caribbean International to screw things up.

If you feel that my description is incomplete, feel free to ask questions.

FABULOUS cruise, by the way.

:)

I've seen several posters comment on suite guests as being different than frequent cruisers. In our case, not true. We are emerald, and will be diamond before we do two more cruises. We will continue to book suites as we like all the perks and the size of the room. Not all suite guests are infrequent cruisers.

The points made above are the ones we made in the other thread and in our email to Adam Goldstein. I also said in that thread that it was unfair to expect the concierge to parent cruisers children. RCI has created a no-win, all by themselves. The policy that existed worked great and didn't need to be changed because a few suite passengers complained. Most of those probably aren't frequent cruisers either.

We always do late dining and never once saw anyone inappropriately dressed in the CL.

Agree wholeheartedly with this... Well behaved children still take up space an adult could use.

Helen

(I love my 5 granddaughters and they are very well behaved, but...)

I agree, there is a time and place for everything. Expectations of joining an exclusive club some have worked on for 20 years plus, for an anticipated quiet evening where you feel free to say adult conversations and not be in an area with small kids. Some kids will disrupt an evening like being in a nursery enviorment.

They don't even let you have children under 13 in Chops after 7:00pm because of the same logic.

Many children are well behaved, but the ones that aren't cannot or will not be controlled. All parents have a easier tollerance of their children acting up than the adults they will bother. We have all seen this over and over.

Throughout BOTH weeks, there were always some adults in the CL who were completely inappropriately dressed. The Concierges did nothing. What could they do? You should see what I saw walking into the dining room!

Dining room examples:

Child in BATHING SUIT.

Just a few examples.

A LOT of shorts.

The children issue: Fernando and Marina tried to keep them out the first week, but many parents were obviously giving them a hard time. There were some limits - they weren't staying there forever, but they were there.

Second week, all restraints came off. LOTS of kids in the CL. They were like LOCUSTS at the food displays.

One family sitting at a big table: four children, Dad wearing a wifebeater. (a term that I abhor, but I wanted to communicate the mental picture to you all)

The servers hated it, too. They balance full trays of very full glasses, such as martinis and cosmopolitans in those iconic slanted glasses. One little sideswipe or need to avoid a speeding small body, and SHAZAM: wipeout!

Royal Caribbean looks at the situation and reacts stupidly (like the San Juan fiasco): a few suite guests have complained about their LITTLE CHILDREN not being allowed into the Concierge Lounge between 5 & 8:30. So their stupid reaction: Make those few whiners happy.

Real situation: They are making a HELL of a lot more passengers unhappy by allowing children in.

It's a true DUH moment for most of us. But never underestimate the power of the decision-makers at Royal Caribbean International to screw things up.

What you mention is similar to what I have previously observed in the CL on both Oasis/Allure during lunch time when families with kids were allowed and posted on the other thread to now expect during cocktail hours with the new rules in effect....well it seems like it didn't take more than just the very first week for it to become harsh reality.

It's all about the money. Many people on the forum complain about shorts in the dining room, kids in the CL, decling service, perks, etc., but as long as we keep filling the ships RCCL will do what is easier and cheaper for them. Based on increasing cruise prices it appears that RCCL policies are acceptable to the cruising community and all of these updated RCCL policies are good for the business.

It's all about the money. Many people on the forum complain about shorts in the dining room, kids in the CL, decling service, perks, etc., but as long as we keep filling the ships RCCL will do what is easier and cheaper for them. Based on increasing cruise prices it appears that RCCL policies are acceptable to the cruising community and all of these updated RCCL policies are good for the business.

We agree.

RCI really doesn't care who sails with them as long as they can pay the fare.

Dining room examples:

Child in BATHING SUIT.

Just a few examples.

A LOT of shorts.

That about covers it. Thanks. Hopefully it won't be that bad on the smaller ships or the Radiance class which doesn't seem to appeal as much to families. But this is how I envisioned it. :(

Gina

My sister was on the Allure the same time as Merion Mom and observed the same.

She spent alot of time with customer Service...:eek:

She called over the Head Waiter the last night in the MDR and was asked if she wanted to complain about "the food or the way pax were dressed" before she even said a word!!!

Evidently alot of pax were complaining about both issues.:cool:

She wasn't happy with the CL either..she had no clue about the change allowing kids in..she complained to the Concierge and was informed about the new policy.

She emailed me, while onboard and I told her that new policy was the subject of a very heated discussion on CC. She is sending off her letter today.:p

This is from an article from a business / software company describing how Royal Caribbean's Antichild policy in the concierge combined with poor website design / information set up suite guests for significant disappointment.

Source : http://www.sigmazone.com/Articles_KanosModel.htm

Almost any interaction with a company can generate an expectation. A conversation with a customer service representative, the content of a website, and marketing materials can all generate expectations. For example, on the previously mentioned Royal Caribbean cruise, I was fortunate enough to have a cabin that qualified for Royal Caribbean's "Concierge Service". At first, Concierge Service elicits thoughts of an English butler in white gloves and tails attending to your every need. These thoughts were quickly replaced by reality thanks to a quick Google search. Royal Caribbean’s website (update Feb 2011, new link) indicates that concierge service includes 24-hour access to the concierge lounge with complimentary hors d’ oeuvres from 5:00pm to 8:30pm. Not exactly a butler, but not bad none-the-less. The key elements of the text of their website at the writing of this article (July 2010) are below…

As a Concierge Club guest, you will be offered amenities and services not available to other guests including:

• A dedicated Concierge who is available to assist with anything you require
  • Twenty-four-hour a day use of the Concierge Club Lounge
  • Continental breakfast every morning and open bar & hors d'oeuvres every evening available in the Concierge Club Lounge

Based upon this information, I formed the expectation of using the concierge club for pre-dinner hors d’oeuvres, especially since I paid extra for the cabin that qualified for concierge service.

Upon arrival to my cabin, I found a letter from the concierge welcoming me to the Mariner of the Seas. However, at the bottom of the letter it stated “only guests of 18 years and above are permitted in the lounge between 5:00pm and 8:30pm. We respectfully request that guests use appropriate footwear and attire while in the lounge.”Click here to see a scanned image of the letter. You can see from the letter that the rationale for the restriction is that alcoholic beverages would be served which would create an “adult oriented atmosphere”. At this point, I feel that I must point out the sheer ridiculousness of this sentence. Let's take a closer look at the presence of alcoholic beverages on the ship.

For those of you who have been on a cruise, you realize that these boats are basically huge floating bars. There are multiple bars, practically on every deck. There are bars by the pool (several, in fact), bars in the casino, bars by the theater, and bars in the restaurants. One would find it next to impossible to move about the ship without passing through or by a bar. But wait, there's more. In the unlikely event that you are not within ordering distance of a bar, the ship has a small army of servers that scour the ship like thousands of ants, ready to take your order at the mere hint of impending thirst. If that wasn't enough, each day brings the "drink of the day" which is printed in the ship's daily schedule (delivered to your state room at night) and is announced by the cruise director on the public address system. The demand for these drinks must be exceptional, as they set up small booths in high traffic areas and bottlenecks so you can purchase your Sunstroke or Pina Colada (complete with souvenir glass) whilst traversing the great distances during between-meal bar migrations.

To my knowledge, no other bar on the ship prohibited children during the serving of alcoholic beverages. During the course of the cruise, we were in bars for trivia contests and scavenger hunts, and the bars were packed with kids of all ages. Amazingly, while children are not allowed to gamble, they are allowed in the casino. Kids are permitted to watch inebriated adults gamble their college funds away, but they can't enter the concierge lounge. What kind of debauchery could possibly go on in the Concierge Lounge between 5:00pm and 8:30pm? When I was in the lounge, I noted that the inhabitants were in the wrong age demographic to muster sufficient energy for any kind debauchery, as Merriam Webster or any other human would define it. They were discussing the shuffle board and bingo schedules, and one was actually asleep in his chair. (However, I did note that a couple of shuffle boarders were wearing socks with their sandals, which I thought was a clear violation of the "appropriate footwear" requirement.) I think we can rest assured that the motivation for the Royal Caribbean Anti-Child policy has nothing to do with the "adult oriented atmosphere", and their true motivation remains a mystery.

Since I was traveling with my two children, I found the anti-kid policy concerning. However, after a short discussion, my wife and I decided to go to the lounge and bring some hors d’oeuvres back to our kids. The trip took less than 5 minutes and we returned with some very nice chocolate covered strawberries.

The next day we received a call from a Royal Caribbean front desk staff member named Carlos. He indicated that he knew that we had removed food from the lounge and that we “would not be permitted to do so again”. Seriously, those were his exact words. We explained that the Royal Caribbean policy prohibited children and this was the only way for them to obtain food. I will never forget his reply. He said, “If your kids eat the food from the lounge, then it will not be there for the other guests.” This anti-kid policy is reminiscent of Mr. Bumble and his reply to Oliver Twist's plea for more.

During the remainder of the cruise we had several conversations about the rationale for this policy. Our first assumption was that the motivation was financial; if they prohibit kids in the lounge, it will cost less. We discarded this theory as the kids are going to eat somewhere on the boat and the cost differential would be minor. In the end, we could find no reason. My son decided that Royal Caribbean just didn’t like kids. Regardless of their motivation, the rules of Royal Caribbean made the concierge lounge useless to us. Since their website didn’t mention that children were not welcome and that food could not be removed, they failed to meet the Must-Be quality that they established based upon their website. I should point out that the crew on the ship must know that this is an issue. The only part of the letter from the Concierge that was bold was the comment about the kids not being welcome. If this is their policy fleet wide, they should put a similar notice on their website so that customers are informed prior to making a purchase.

Our experience on Disney Cruise Lines was very different. Disney’s ships have an “upscale” restaurant called Palo. Our group of travelers made plans for a night at Palo during our cruise. When we visited Disney’s website, it clearly indicated that you must be 18 years or older to enter. Remarkably, Disney goes out of their way to establish that Palo is for adults only.There are no fewer than eight references to the fact that it is Adult Exclusive or Adult Only.

(Article continues)

DW and I are not happy with this decision. We do book the suites just to add to our enjoyment. We have cruised on the Freedom class ship and that was large enough for us. Due the size of the Oasis class, we have no inclination to cruise on the Allure or Oasis. The change in policy for the CL , and these current posting (though mostly one-sided:rolleyes:) just reinforces our position. We love the Voyager class, Radiance class, and Sovereign class.

I just hope this thread does go the way of the original discussion thread.

This is from an article from a business / software company describing how Royal Caribbean's Antichild policy in the concierge combined with poor website design / information set up suite guests for significant disappointment.

Source : http://www.sigmazone.com/Articles_KanosModel.htm

wow, I thought that was really interesting. You should send that to Royal.

Archived