My Experience in CL with Kids

klove613

LOL....the fact is I am more than willing to follow the policy stated by the cruise line. If they say no children, I am fine with it, but the policy clearly was changed. Not to mention there was no over-crowding whatsoever during the time I was in there. Most nights, it was dead in the CL when we were there between 5:30-6 pm or after 8:00 pm (like 5-7 people max in there).
Very good factual post, you seem to have done everything right, ythanks.:cool:

IF RCCL's webiste says there is MAX of two in the suites, that is quite a change. Had GS 8534 on Enchantment in April and we were three adults. My sister had RFS (forget number, midship) with her DH and three kids. The ten year old was not permitted in the CL after 5 (early dinner times on Enchantment). She did leave however with plenty of food, I can't imagine a rule saying you can't take food out of the CL (I lived for that Capuccino machine, and I didn't stay there to drink it<g>)

Then again, as mentioned earlier, we had an enormous amount of children and I know Sis and DH enjoyed the drinks without the kids.

el henry

dumb question.. are all suites not created equal?

reason I ask. I have a GS on Enchantment for May 2012. now according to the website all suites on this ship sleep a max of TWO. so uhhh... does that mean said suites would have a far lower than normal shot at having any underaged peeps and that the D+ families alone are the ones who will be able to take advantage?

but I was under the impression that the SUITE guests were griping about the policy? or are there larger suites on other ships that do have higher max capacities?

reason I booked a GS was , in part, due to the access to the CL and the fact that if I can get a pre dinner glass of wine I won't need to buy as many drinks in the DR or get a package.

while I don't think the new policy is enough to make me cancel( I will reserve judgement til I get on board) i will not hesitate to complain if my enjoyment is ruined by children.

dumb question.. are all suites not created equal?

reason I ask. I have a GS on Enchantment for May 2012. now according to the website all suites on this ship sleep a max of TWO. so uhhh... does that mean said suites would have a far lower than normal shot at having any underaged peeps and that the D+ families alone are the ones who will be able to take advantage?

but I was under the impression that the SUITE guests were griping about the policy? or are there larger suites on other ships that do have higher max capacities?

reason I booked a GS was , in part, due to the access to the CL and the fact that if I can get a pre dinner glass of wine I won't need to buy as many drinks in the DR or get a package.

while I don't think the new policy is enough to make me cancel( I will reserve judgement til I get on board) i will not hesitate to complain if my enjoyment is ruined by children.

If you go look at the deck plan of Enchantment on Royal's site you will see that all full suites have a triangle or a combo of a triangle and cross symbol.....the triangle symbol means they have a sofa-bed and can hold up to 4 people...many times you are also allowed a roll-away so that will bring the max up to 5 people....the cabins with the combo triangle cross hold up to six passengers.

My vote.....two lounges.

The kids would be much happier being with other kids and the parents will still be able to have adult conversation with other parents. Since the kids club is closed during concierge hours, why not have it in there. Drinks can be the same but they could have snacks that the kids would like as well as adults.

It's a shame it had to come to this. Everything was fine just as it was.

I'll be writing my letter today.

I don't personally know how to set up one of those "polls' on here but maybe someone who does can set one up to say..

Suites in favor of kids

Suites not in favor of kids

Dplus in favor of kids

Dplus not in favor of kids

Anyone in favor of kids

Anyone not in favor of kids

Just a thought!!

I don't personally know how to set up one of those "polls' on here but maybe someone who does can set one up to say..

Suites in favor of kids

Suites not in favor of kids

Dplus in favor of kids

Dplus not in favor of kids

Anyone in favor of kids

Anyone not in favor of kids

Just a thought!!

Posted

Here is the link for the poll http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1477008

I just dont understand how RCI can have all these programs, rooms, & activities for children, yet they can't manage to have ONE small area of the ship as Adults Only. Now a days even the "adults only" solarium has kids in it!!! If the CL is "Adults Only" it should be "Adults Only"

I usually travel off peak times so I am not around 400+ kids while on vacation and enjoy a little time of peace & quite. The past 2-3 cruises on RCI have been dissapointing with kids overtaking the ship from the pool deck, show lounges, CL, etc even on off peak times. I am going again in Dec hoping things will be better but the family is now looking into cruise lines that tend to have less kids. I love kids and have young newphews & godchildren but at times when I am on vacation I would like to have a nice conversation & enjoy a drink with my fellow passengers without kids around.

Just my thought....

Tina

Jul.......just start a new thread,like normal.......below the bottom of the box where you input whatever it is,you want to say,is the option for a poll.....just a little FYI,for next time..:)

Well, this is our experience.... We were first time GS guests on Voyager and sailed on a 7 night out of Venice end of May, beginning of June.

We had the letter in our suite with regards to rules of the CL lounge. We had our 2 boys with us (both very well behaved and very used to being in adult environments and dining in nice restaurants. They were 8 and 15).

Because of the CL rules we only found it right to abide by them and fully expected others to do so as well. The problem being is and I'm sure many agree. Many of us have very well behaved children but quite a few do not, and I totally agree that those who want a quiet pre dinner drink in a kids free environment should be entitled to that. So we went in alone and had a very nice relaxed drink before dinner.

For 3 nights that we went in a family continued to bring in their 2 children. Probably about the ages of 6 and about 8. Now they were well behaved, but, I'm sorry, we hadnt brought ours in because of the rules (which are fair enough, because, of course you may end up with all sorts of unruly kids). So at the third night, I very nicely approached the concierge and said, I do understand the rules, but as you seem to be ok with the other family being in here, would it be ok if we bought our boys in too. Only then, of course, did he say, I must tell this family that it isnt allowed and, yes they shouldnt be in the CL.

So, only when challenged did he say anything. As I said, I dont have a problem with the rules, at all. I think its nice to have a child free environment sometime, but I was rather miffed when people who must of known the rules that are spelt out very clearly decided to totally ignore them and us, as law abiding citizens abide by them. It was like the concierge was willing to allow it just to not upset the family (who I believe were diamond plus, but not in a suite), just for an easy life. But the likes of us, who didnt bring ours in as we appreciate the rules, made us feel a little like mugs.

I think RCI should be stricter on this, it should either be a yes or a no, not up to the concierge. Majority of our little people are very well behaved, but unfotunately a few are not, so you have to draw the line.....

I just returned from business and read over many pages on various threads on this topic and sure do have a better read on some posters perspective on cruising.

Overcrowding has been an issue in the lounges for quite some time now. Exception to the rule seems to be the Oasis class from what I read. Now that children are allowed in the lounges I think big changes will be coming as to who will have access to them. With all the diamond, diamond plus and suite guests on any given sailing, I don't find it a shock that the free alcohol might be slimed down at some point and alternate loyalty rewards may be in planning stages. Even if CL access is removed for dimond plus-many other options could be good ones.

When my children were not old enough to be in the lounge, I did write my concerns and my 'wish' was to have suite guests have a small bar set up in the room as I would of rather have stayed on my balcony/room with a pre-dinner cocktail. Guess corporate decided to just let children in.

Still-I've always liked the 'wish' of drink coupons. Be it a loyalty reward or suite guest, you could have a drink anywhere as the lounges are very small and you do not have the option to remove yourself with your drink if the atmosphere is not to your liking.

Our experience on Disney Cruise Lines was very different. Disney’s ships have an “upscale” restaurant called Palo. Our group of travelers made plans for a night at Palo during our cruise. When we visited Disney’s website, it clearly indicated that you must be 18 years or older to enter. Remarkably, Disney goes out of their way to establish that Palo is for adults only.There are no fewer than eight references to the fact that it is Adult Exclusive or Adult Only.

(Article continues)

Even Disney knows the value of adults only. There is also another area on the ship for adults only. I think planning needs to be developed where both vinues can exist to accomodate passengers needs.

Even Disney knows the value of adults only. There is also another area on the ship for adults only. I think planning needs to be developed where both vinues can exist to accomodate passengers needs.

RCI tends to shoot from the hip and make these kinds of decisions and not think them through.

I just returned from business and read over many pages on various threads on this topic and sure do have a better read on some posters perspective on cruising.

Overcrowding has been an issue in the lounges for quite some time now. Exception to the rule seems to be the Oasis class from what I read. Now that children are allowed in the lounges I think big changes will be coming as to who will have access to them. With all the diamond, diamond plus and suite guests on any given sailing, I don't find it a shock that the free alcohol might be slimed down at some point and alternate loyalty rewards may be in planning stages. Even if CL access is removed for dimond plus-many other options could be good ones.

When my children were not old enough to be in the lounge, I did write my concerns and my 'wish' was to have suite guests have a small bar set up in the room as I would of rather have stayed on my balcony/room with a pre-dinner cocktail. Guess corporate decided to just let children in.

Still-I've always liked the 'wish' of drink coupons. Be it a loyalty reward or suite guest, you could have a drink anywhere as the lounges are very small and you do not have the option to remove yourself with your drink if the atmosphere is not to your liking.

Deb, let me address one of your points, in which you make a mistaken assumption.

The Oasis and Allure Concierge Lounges are FAR from immune to overcrowding. They are, of course, much larger, but since the ship is also much larger, with MANY MANY MANY suites, the overcrowding issue remains. Add children to that mix, and you get the trifecta of disaster: more bodies, worse behavior, and running.

I guess I sort of resent the subtle implication that those of us who are D+ are "second class citizens" and inferior to suite guests.

Using the old standard, we have been on at least 24 RCCL cruises (for sake of argument, I'm not considering the length of cruise or suite bonuses). Let's further assume that average cruise basic rate was $600. That means each couple has given RCCL $28,800 just for the ability to sail (24X600X2).

Now add in what we spent for excursions, drinks, etc., etc., and you are talking a significant amount of money.

RCCL should realize that we, the D+ Cruisers, are indeed the backbone and steady revenue source of the company.

To imply that we are second class and even suggest that out perks be taken away is ridiculous and foolhardy from a corporate standpoint!

This news has really got me fired up!! Why should we not be able to have a quiet chat and a drink with our fellow adult cruisers in what is one of the ONLY venues onboard that is child-free. There are lots of options for guests who want to drink in front of their offspring but please don,t make me have to listen to some small child whining that he/she wants to go play. The other issue is what some others have already mentioned, little fingers dipping in to the food and drinks being spilled on the floors. We need to protest "Royally" !! and let RCCL know that they need listen. I also resent the fact that on it has been implied that we, as D+ have earned our cruise credits/points by booking inside cabins. I have always booked balconies apart from my last cruise on Navigator where I foolishly booked an inside cabin. (did get an upgrade to D1 after a few days), our concierge very kindly spoke to the hotel manager who gave us a balcony cabin. After D+ balcony discount it is usually always a much better deal to just go ahead and book a balcony. Certainly will not do that agaian!! I shall be e-mailing RCCL to complain!!

I guess I sort of resent the subtle implication that those of us who are D+ are "second class citizens" and inferior to suite guests.

Using the old standard, we have been on at least 24 RCCL cruises (for sake of argument, I'm not considering the length of cruise or suite bonuses). Let's further assume that average cruise basic rate was $600. That means each couple has given RCCL $28,800 just for the ability to sail (24X600X2).

Now add in what we spent for excursions, drinks, etc., etc., and you are talking a significant amount of money.

RCCL should realize that we, the D+ Cruisers, are indeed the backbone and steady revenue source of the company.

To imply that we are second class and even suggest that out perks be taken away is ridiculous and foolhardy from a corporate standpoint!

I went back and ran some rough numbers for our situation and all I can say is :eek::eek:! Wow I have paid a bundle for some of those "free" adult beverages.

Maybe I should not have run those numbers, now that I know I've spent a lot of money for wine, and not so much for women and song..... and the rest I spent foolishly :D.

I'm sure Adam and Richard do appreciate those occasional cruisers that go for the GS and above, but I only hope they appreciate those of us D+ that regularly make deposits to the bank of RCI.

Archived