golden vs sapphire

halavah

I was a little disappointed to find that most people preferred Golden over Sapphire, since I had already booked Sapphire, but then I found out that the Sapphire is going through a dry dock and refurbishment in January and we are going out in March, so I am very excited about being on an almost brand new ship for our 14 days.

:D

I've sailed both ships several times & enjoyed both of them. The Sapphire will have the updates like the Golden post January drydock & the Promenade is wide enough to have lounge chairs. The main difference for me going to Hawaii is having the entertainers Elua...Leialoha & Kawika...and CD David Cole running the Golden's onboard Hawaiian themed activities. For some the deciding factors are the dates & the price but if they're similar...I'd chose the Golden to Hawaii. We're sailing the Sapphire on another CA Coastal in April so we enjoy her also.

The ships are ultimately very similar and I doubt the differences will make or break your cruise. We've been on the Grand/Star which are similar to the Golden and while we like them, are looking forward to trying the Sapphire which seems to be a bit of a cross between the Grand and the Crowne.

To that end, Glendale is correct in that the Sapphire is undergoing a refit in January and should be nice.

We booked the Sapphire mostly because the dates it sails to Hawaii work better for us.

As far as oceanview obstructed, lots of opinions out there. We've been in a number of them and the view has ranged from pretty wide open to fully blocked by a lifeboat. On our booking for the Sapphire we booked an obstructed guarantee and have already been upgraded to an unobstructed oceanview.

So, if you like a little bit of natural light and don't care if you have a great view, go with an obstructed and save a few dollars. If you want a good view, pay the extra dollars for a full oceanview.

I have been on both ships and love them both! The deciding factor for us was that Elua will be onboard (as Astroflyer has mentioned). They are a wonderful, talented duo of musicians (husband and wife). Great entertainers and they both also teach (ukele, hula dances and lei making).

Aside from ELUA, I would pick any of these ships (especially after the Sapphire's retrofit).

Last year, we booked a cat. H. obstructed view guarantee, and were upgraded to a category DD unobstructed.

Hi; We are retired and could have cruised on either ship on any date, but we chose Golden. We chose her for the cruise we had planned last year to Hawaii, but had to cancel and have re-booked her this winter departing Feb 1st, 2012.

3 reasons for us choosing Golden:

1. Elua

2. David Cole

3. It's a Princess Ship.

Have a great cruise, whichever ship you choose.

While we have always enjoyed the Golden our preference would be the Sapphire. We prefer the size and feel of the ship, the 5 dining venues and the way the public area are laid out. The Golden and all of the Grand Class ships have a major design flaw in the sense that only 2 of the 4 aft elevators go down to the International D/R and there are no restrooms outside of the dining room which makes things difficult for persons with limited mobility.

I prefer the Sapphire having been on the Diamond, its sister ship, and having been on the Star, which is the Golden's sister ship. Both are nice ships, but the unique features of the Sapphire/Diamond make it my preferred ship design. I have read sooooo many posts about how wonderful the Hawaiian hosts are on the Golden, but my thinking is, won't Princess find wonderful hosts for the Sapphire this year, too, since it's doing Hawaii?? I'm sure they're not going to make it boring on 1 ship and great on the other, so I'm not concerned. Also, as others have noted, the Sapphire is being refurbished in January 2012, so everyone after that will benefit from a fresh ship with all of the wonderful new Princess features. Other than that, I say choose the one that'll best fit your schedule. As working people, we have to do a Saturday departure to avoid taking extra days off. Either way, you'll be in Hawaii, and for that, you can't lose!

We were favoring Star Princess out of SF primarily for the extra day, but are now leaning towards Golden Princess because of Elua.

The main difference for me going to Hawaii is having the entertainers Elua...Leialoha & Kawika...

This December will be our 4th cruise to Hawaii (5th if you count that the 28 day cruise on Sapphire in October will include Hawaii). Our first two were on the Island Princess, the third on the Golden Princess and the upcoming one will be on the Sapphire Princess. I certainly enjoyed the team of Elua but that alone was not enough for me to pick the Golden at a higher price and a mid-week departure for this Christmas. Our two cruises on the Island had Hawaiian themed activities and I have read on the Princess website that all cruises to Hawaii have themed activities.

I recommend that you look at what works best for you with pricing and dates, etc.

Aloha Kakou,

Wow...mahalo nui for all the aloha...it makes Leialoha and me feel great to know so many people have enjoyed the Golden with us and want to come back again, or come for the first time, due in some small part to us. We have had such a wonderful time these past few years doing the program, and meeting so many people...many of whom have become like ohana (family) to us.

I always like to chime in on these discussions about Golden vs. Sapphire, or Golden vs. Star or what have you. (Sounds like some sort of wrestling battle royal or something:)) To start, many have pointed out, and it is true, that no matter what ship you choose, you can't really lose, as Hawai'i is a wonderful, special place, and of course, for many, (myself included), those sea days coming and going spell R-E-L-A-X-A-T-I-O-N. I cannot know for sure what is being planned for the Sapphire (or the Star), but, I know you can count on some wonderful destination speakers, informative port talks, fun activities and the kind of great service that you come to expect from Princess. What Leialoha and I have developed along with David Cole is something near and dear to our hearts, and we hope that some of the things we have introduced make their way to the other ships for Hawai'i runs. As far as "Hawaiian Hosts", (which by the way, I love in the way of a job title...I may recommend it to corporate) I don't know who they are going to have on the Sapphire. It can be a little difficult to find people like us, not so much talent wise, but Leialoha and I have no real ties to land, so we are able to pick up and go for seven months at a time very easily. All I know for sure is that Leialoha and I will be on the Golden all season. I will say, that as a ship, the Sapphire has a great reputation. Leialoha and I did our first Hawaiian program season on the Diamond, and we loved the layout of the ship...and with the changes, it will have all the goodies that the Golden does. (As one poster pointed out) Also, I imagine, as many have pointed out before, that departure day can play a part in choice. So, if Wednesday doesn't work for you, by all means, consider the Sapphire...as I said earlier, it's Hawai'i...hard to go wrong.

So, I have meandered a bit here, kala mai kakou, but I guess what I am trying to say is, figure out which ships fits into your dates/lifestyle/geography the best and don't look back! You will have a great time on either. But if I can say one more word...GOLDEN! ;)

A Hui Hou,

Dave "Kawika" Soreff

(of Elua)

This December will be our 4th cruise to Hawaii (5th if you count that the 28 day cruise on Sapphire in October will include Hawaii). Our first two were on the Island Princess, the third on the Golden Princess and the upcoming one will be on the Sapphire Princess. I certainly enjoyed the team of Elua but that alone was not enough for me to pick the Golden at a higher price and a mid-week departure for this Christmas. Our two cruises on the Island had Hawaiian themed activities and I have read on the Princess website that all cruises to Hawaii have themed activities.

I recommend that you look at what works best for you with pricing and dates, etc.

Aloha Kakou,

I DEFINITELY will agree with what "freetocruise" said in the last paragraph. There are so many variables in choosing a cruise, and I think they hit the nail on the head with that statement.

A Hui Hou,

Dave "Kawika" Soreff

(of Elua)

• 1 month later...

We just did the Golden in December and will be back on in a week and a half! Hubby now owns three Ukes and can't wait to take the classes again, only this time knowing what the heck he is doing! Looking forward to seeing you and your wife again..just don't suggest any other Uke's to Gil..I think three is enough LOL!

Doris

Aloha Kakou,

Wow...mahalo nui for all the aloha...it makes Leialoha and me feel great to know so many people have enjoyed the Golden with us and want to come back again, or come for the first time, due in some small part to us. We have had such a wonderful time these past few years doing the program, and meeting so many people...many of whom have become like ohana (family) to us.

This EXACT discussion was held a few days ago, even down to the cabin type. For those who won't click through, I have been on both to Hawaii and will be back on Sapphire again, Golden is a fine ship but Sapphire feels less crowded because it is less crowded.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1499073

Planning on trip to Hawaii. Any preference between golden or sapphire ships? and any thoughts about obstructed view cabins?

I am sure they are both great, although I can personally attest to the Golden. This is one of our favorite Princess ships, but have never sailed on the Sapphire. We, too were considering the differences and have been on the Hawaii itinerary on the Golden just before their upgrades, we booked an obstructed OV and were very happy with it. We choose a room right behind one of the chaser boats so still had a lot of natural light coming into our room and saved a lot of money over booking a balcony.

The real advantage to this cabin was the location on the ship. It was low down and almost directly midship -- and the crossing of the ocean can be so very rough. There were a lot of seasick pax onboard -- so we saved money and were subjected to the least movement on the ship. This worked well for us....so much so, that we booked the Star Princess out of SF to Hawaii -- yes! No flight but the cruise is definitely more expensive than the ones on both the Golden or Sapphire....but it is one day longer.

Archived