What's your cruise tradition?

Roadtripster

Do you have a cruise tradition? Have you always remembered to keep the tradition going? How did it come about?

Our tradition is that I take a photo of my DH leaning over the railing, staring out to sea. He never knows when I am going to take the photo. I have taken day shots, night shots, in the rain, etc... We both love the ocean and can stare at it all day long.

It started on our first cruise... we were joking around that this was our retirement cruise and we both happen to be leaning on the railing daydreaming about retiring and cruising all the time. I wanted to take a "secret" shot of him, so when we are actually retirement cruising, I could go back and show him how young he was on his first retirement cruise. LOL

Now I find it more and more challenging to come up with a cool shot. Which of course, each cruise I do!

If I'm sailing with my family, we always stay in a hotel the night before and have dinner at a restaurant...while we're eating dinner we always talk about the cruise from the previous year.

My personal traditions are: I bring can pepsi sodas in my checked luggage ( some ships carry coke only plus the cost of can sodas onboard is pricey), I always buy a picture onboard every cruise and I always start each cruise off with a celebratory drink of the day as soon as I board :).

Our tradition started some cruises ago when we decided not to go to dinner in the main dining room the first night. We enjoy sailaway and then go to a leisurely dinner in the buffet. It just makes for a lovely, relaxing evening after the hustle and bustle of travelling to get to the ship. The second night we go to the dining room, meet our wait team and tablemates, and go from there. :)

We started our tradition with our "secret spot", which is overlooking the ship's wake at the stern on the walking concourse. We have a great picture (that we took of ourselves!) all hugging each other with the ship's wake in the background. Now we take that same photo on every cruise!

On our first cruise, my parents sent us a bottle of Moet & Chandon White Star champagne which we drank for sail away/before dinner the first night. Ever since then we always get/bring a bottle of Moet & Chandon Imperial (since they don't have White Star anymore) get ready for dinner the first night and get some cheese, crackers, etc and then go out onto the balcony, pop the bottle and enjoy it as we head to sea ready for our vacation to begin. Can't think of a better way to begin my cruise.

Tim

Do you have a cruise tradition? Have you always remembered to keep the tradition going? How did it come about?

Our tradition is that I take a photo of my DH leaning over the railing, staring out to sea. He never knows when I am going to take the photo. I have taken day shots, night shots, in the rain, etc... We both love the ocean and can stare at it all day long.

It started on our first cruise... we were joking around that this was our retirement cruise and we both happen to be leaning on the railing daydreaming about retiring and cruising all the time. I wanted to take a "secret" shot of him, so when we are actually retirement cruising, I could go back and show him how young he was on his first retirement cruise. LOL

Now I find it more and more challenging to come up with a cool shot. Which of course, each cruise I do!

Do they look sort of like this

Southern104.jpg

I am very excitable so I almost bounce to the room as soon as we board to drop off our bags, then we begin exploring. I usually have an ice cream cone within the first hour on the ship. On any vacation we send ourselves blank postcards from every country or city we visit. No sense in cluttering a small house with shotglasses or spoons. Then we know where we have gone, and have the postage from the country. :)

Not really just a cruise tradition, but we have always kissed three times when an elevator goes up or down. Every single stop and this started 14 years ago on our first elevator ride.

With there being so much time spent on elevators on cruises this helps keep the romance alive.

Really works great if you get upset about something then you get on the elevator and have to kiss three times at every stop by the time you get to the lido or to your room how can you even think of being upset anymore.

Also not just for cruising but NEVER go to bed angry.

P.J.

A glass (or two) of wine on the balcony before sailaway - watching the harbour traffic and refuelling if on the starboard side or people boarding and reprovisioning if on portside. It got started on Pacific Princess with a bottle of Moet that was left over from New Year.

Colleen

We always have a cocktail on deck after droping the carry-ons in the cabin. The first photo of the cruise album is always of my partner with his first cocktail. It usually is a terrible picture which makes it all the more fun for us. This started when we took a red-eye to Tahiti, and we both looked like Hell after not sleeping the whole night.

Rick

Ours is probably kind of nutty but, we do ours before.....We watch every movie that has a cruise ship in it about a week before inlcuding Titanic! LOL!

You know the scene, right after Kate and Leo "do it" in the parked car, and then they go out on deck and kiss? And the lookouts are making comments about them? If you're using this film for a pre-trip "let's get into the cruising mood" device, I would strongly urge you to stop watching at this point. Things really take a turn for the worse after that! :eek:

Archived