Thank you, Upgrade Fairy!!!!

dorothyh

This was our very first upgrade, after 25 cruises with RCL, and being a Diamond Plus for almost two years. In this case, we had booked a JS on Oasis over a year ago and that cabin category had sold out a couple of weeks ago. There were 15 Crown Lofts unoccupied. Grand Suites and Owners Suites were also sold out. So...

I also remembered I had put restrictions on our upgrade preferences from the last cruise when we had a corner aft balcony and didn't want the upgrade. I changed those preferences about a week ago on both my profile and my husband's to make sure that there were no restrictions on our profiles.

I don't know if this will ever happen again, but this was our experience and I am very excited.

This was our very first upgrade, after 25 cruises with RCL, and being a Diamond Plus for almost two years. In this case, we had booked a JS on Oasis over a year ago and that cabin category had sold out a couple of weeks ago. There were 15 Crown Lofts unoccupied. Grand Suites and Owners Suites were also sold out. So...

I also remembered I had put restrictions on our upgrade preferences from the last cruise when we had a corner aft balcony and didn't want the upgrade. I changed those preferences about a week ago on both my profile and my husband's to make sure that there were no restrictions on our profiles.

I don't know if this will ever happen again, but this was our experience and I am very excited.

Thank you for your answer,enjoy every moment:D

I was told by c&a that they don't upgrade to Cl, it comes from revenue. RCCL can do what they want and upgrade who they want, but do not advertise a benefit they have no intention of fulfilling. Enjoy you upgrade and cruise. We always book a cabin we feel comfortable with, and often book more than one room.

That's great!!!! Enjoy it:)

I was told by c&a that they don't upgrade to Cl, it comes from revenue. RCCL can do what they want and upgrade who they want, but do not advertise a benefit they have no intention of fulfilling. Enjoy you upgrade and cruise. We always book a cabin we feel comfortable with, and often book more than one room.

It is always a mystery how it happens. But since there were no more JS's, there was a demand, and right after we were upgraded our JS was back as available, then it was gone by the end of the day. The question is, how do they decide who among the JS's get the upgrade? That might be where the C&A status comes in, after revenue has decided where the upgrades will be.

We love JS's, and would have been delighted with the cabin we selected over a year ago.

Oh, well, I'm not going to analyze it too much, or count on it in the future. It is just nice to have a wonderful surprise every once in a while!

Well, THIS enquiring mind also WANTS TO KNOW. Why? Because the C&A Benefits say that if an upgrade is available at time of sailing, it goes to the member as a benefit. I would like to know if that benefit is actually being utilized.

I haven't heard anyone say that they actually got one of those C&A upgrades.

Happy for them? Of course. Would like more info, tho. And won't get it if we don't ask.

We are C&A and had several upgrades. Many have posted here that they have been upgraded as well. There is a groundswell from those who have not. Sorry about that. Congrats to the OP!!!!!!

Well, THIS enquiring mind also WANTS TO KNOW. Why? Because the C&A Benefits say that if an upgrade is available at time of sailing, it goes to the member as a benefit. I would like to know if that benefit is actually being utilized. I haven't heard anyone say that they actually got one of those C&A upgrades.

Here is what it says on the RCI site:

Priority Access on stateroom upgrades (if available)19

As you know, we always sail full, so there are very few upgrade opportunities, but when we can, we want to give you, our valued Crown & Anchor® Society members, first priority on stateroom upgrades if they become available.

SO...if upgrades are available, and being given out, it would be nice to know if the recipient is a C&A member & of what tier level. I would GUESS that they are a member, but I don't really know that, do I? I would also GUESS that they booked at least 6 months in advance & were probably D+. Maybe not. Do I ever have a chance of obtaining one based upon the experience of others? How will I know what that experience is if I don't ask?

Happy for them? Of course. Would like more info, tho. And won't get it if we don't ask.

I received my first ever "upgrade fairy phone call" for the cruise I just took, the August 28th sailing of the Allure. LOVED LOVED LOVED my Junior Suite! (had booked a D8, which I sailed in for the first week, the August 21st sailing)

D+, pretty high numbers.

Woo hoo, Annette & Wayne! And the OP, of course!:D:D

I am with ROL TA in UK can the upgrade fairy still visit me or is it just for those who booked direct with RCI ?

It doesn't matter whether you've booked through a TA or direct with RCI. In fact, I have a friend whose TA often is able to procure an upgrade for her within a week of sailing. We've never figured out how.

I received my first ever "upgrade fairy phone call" for the cruise I just took, the August 28th sailing of the Allure. LOVED LOVED LOVED my Junior Suite! (had booked a D8, which I sailed in for the first week, the August 21st sailing)

D+, pretty high numbers.

Congrats, Carol! Question: did they call just to notify you or were they asking if you wanted it because you had restrictions noted on your profile?

D+, pretty high numbers.

Congrats Carol!!!!!!! :D

Woo hoo, Annette & Wayne! And the OP, of course!:D:D

It doesn't matter whether you've booked through a TA or direct with RCI. In fact, I have a friend whose TA often is able to procure an upgrade for her within a week of sailing. We've never figured out how.

Congrats, Carol! Question: did they call just to notify you or were they asking if you wanted it because you had restrictions noted on your profile?

She called. I think that it was two or three days before I was leaving for the first leg, which departed on August 21, so "she" called on the 17th or 18th. She was calling to offer the JS. In my profile, I checked the "HELL YES I WANT AN UPGRADE" category. :D (I even had the brass to ask if they wanted to make it a GS (there were several available). She chuckled and said that she was only authorized to offer the JS.)

Could someone tell me what OP stands for....Thanks

Original Poster

The person who started the thread.

Well, THIS enquiring mind also WANTS TO KNOW. Why? Because the C&A Benefits say that if an upgrade is available at time of sailing, it goes to the member as a benefit. I would like to know if that benefit is actually being utilized. I haven't heard anyone say that they actually got one of those C&A upgrades.

Here is what it says on the RCI site:

Priority Access on stateroom upgrades (if available)19

As you know, we always sail full, so there are very few upgrade opportunities, but when we can, we want to give you, our valued Crown & Anchor® Society members, first priority on stateroom upgrades if they become available.

SO...if upgrades are available, and being given out, it would be nice to know if the recipient is a C&A member & of what tier level. I would GUESS that they are a member, but I don't really know that, do I? I would also GUESS that they booked at least 6 months in advance & were probably D+. Maybe not. Do I ever have a chance of obtaining one based upon the experience of others? How will I know what that experience is if I don't ask?

I'm the OP and I am happy to answer your questions!

Yes I am a C&A member -Diamond though, not Diamond Plus.

Yes, we booked more than 6 months in advance - we booked in July 2010.

Our original cabin was an Aft Junior Suite - 1694.

We booked through RCCL directly (we normally use a travel agent, but I wanted the aft junior suite and saw it was available and didn't want to wait for fear the cabin would be gone. I meant to transfer the booking to my travel agent, but I forgot about it and by the time I went to do it, it was too late.)

They didn't call to let me know, they just sent a new booking confirmation email.

The Owner's Suite was AMAZING. We had an incredible time, and we are so thankful to whoever it was at RCCL that picked us as the people to upgrade.

To the OP enjoy the upgrade.

In reading threads and talking with folks (2 couples on last Oasis cruise) it seems that many of the upgrades on the Oasis/Allure to CL are given to those who originally book a JS or higher. The couples I spoke with on the Oasis one was Diamond and one was Emerald. We are D+ and were booked in a D7 and received no upgrade.

Hiya OP,

Hooray, you were already so happy and excited to have planned for, waited, and were ready to depart for a great cruise. Then, unexpectedly, it was made that much better with the upgrade.

So glad you enjoyed every minute of it. That's exactly they way it should be.

Guess that's just one of the nice parts of the randomness of the upgrade fairy.

Allison

Hi

I am a Diamond Plus with over 340 cruise points. Until yesterday "upgrade fairy" had never visited; however yesterday she landed and changed my SO to a GS. If there is a moral to the story it probably is - wait long enough and have enough cruise days that you make the cutoff for your particular cruise, which of course has to have empty cabins in grades higher than yours to begin with.

Good luck - and remember "good things happend to those who wait".:)

Hi

I am a Diamond Plus with over 340 cruise points. Until yesterday "upgrade fairy" had never visited; however yesterday she landed and changed my SO to a GS. If there is a moral to the story it probably is - wait long enough and have enough cruise days that you make the cutoff for your particular cruise, which of course has to have empty cabins in grades higher than yours to begin with.

Upgrade for Dawn or Jewel? Seems way out for Jewel?Someone may have wanted your cabin pretty bad.

Jimbo:)

We are sailing tomorrow on Explorer to Bermuda for 5 nights and I noticed that I got a Booking Confirmation today from RCCL.

I thought it was just a recap of my excursions, etc. and when I went to print it out tonight, I noticed that my cabin number was different....my junior suite is now an OWNER'S SUITE!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

I am pinching myself - THANK YOU UPGRADE FAIRY!!!!! :D

we are going on allure in Nov.-just got a notice from RCCL that cruise documents are online for downloading now.Of course they now show our cabin number we booked.Question-When (and if) you are lucky to get an upgrade-do they send you a notice that shows the change of cabin assignments.Does the fact that the records(a month out) do not show upgrade,mean we will not get one before the Nov. cruise?

Hi

Upgrade for Dawn or Jewel? Seems way out for Jewel?Someone may have wanted your cabin pretty bad.

Jimbo:)

Unless padrek "misspoke", it would be either Majesty or Monarch, because only those two ships have a category called "SO".

:)

we are going on allure in Nov.-just got a notice from RCCL that cruise documents are online for downloading now.Of course they now show our cabin number we booked.Question-When (and if) you are lucky to get an upgrade-do they send you a notice that shows the change of cabin assignments.Does the fact that the records(a month out) do not show upgrade,mean we will not get one before the Nov. cruise?

All they sent me was a Confirmation Notice...it didn't say anything that we had been upgraded; just showed the new cabin category and number.

We didn't get the upgrade until the day before the cruise left.

Archived